Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Warning! Explicit & Graphic… Be warned...

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007 | 12:48 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Originally Posted by brownflyer
Here is what I was thinking ImagoX, you'll have a piece that should be almost ready for primer & paint. Yes, I did take mine to a body shop for the final steps. Because I'll be doing some sanding to smooth it out, you will not have the shiny gelcoat finish it comes out of the mold with. The only things you might have left to do is some final sanding for proper mounting and depending on how even your boot shuts to the body, you might have to add bit of body filler to the corner pieces. I can explain that later in more detail. That's because my boot doesn't shut flush with the body (even after adjusting it) and one corner piece was a few mm off the edge of the center piece. Again that "proper level of atention to detail that I'm comfortable with" thing.

I'll post some more close up pics, just to make sure you're comfortable with how it looks and fits before we proceed any further.
That works for me... Using body filler is a known process for me - let me know if you recommend something beyond basic Bondo. I was assuming that all my sanding would be by hand. Sounds like you get it pretty close to begin with though, and my boot seems to fit pretty well.

I'm curous to see how it mounts, given that the center section has to endure opening/closure shock - I assume a mix of bolts through the sheet metal and tape?

Old 04-27-2007 | 01:08 PM
FranticFreddy
6th Gear
I don't know if I like the look. But I have to say, NICE JOB! Anyone who sticks to it for 5 months gets a double thumps up. Great job from start to finish.

Old 04-27-2007 | 01:19 PM
mr. jim
4th Gear
Hey looks great! Did you consider making it out of carbon fiber to save weight? We did a hood for a race TR6 in CF it was really nice and oh so light.

Old 04-27-2007 | 01:46 PM
brownflyer
|
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by mr. jim
Hey looks great! Did you consider making it out of carbon fiber to save weight? We did a hood for a race TR6 in CF it was really nice and oh so light.
I did, I'm just not familiar with working with CF. However, the spoiler is very light and doesn't weigh more than 5 - 7lbs. I'm going to have to weigh ImagoX spoiler once it's finished.

Old 04-27-2007 | 04:53 PM
PuppetMaster2u
4th Gear
Wow fellas - I love it. I think it'd look best orange too (but I'm partial to orange LOL). How much? I think it definately completes that back end!

Old 04-28-2007 | 08:58 AM
Duck360198
6th Gear
That really finishes up the cab....I'm impressed!

Old 04-28-2007 | 10:52 AM
Frodo
3rd Gear
Wow, it looked so good, like it came with the kit, I had to do a double take. I have the same kit on my 03 and your spoiler looks similar to the Orciari one. Hell I bet they would love to market it. Very nice, you got skills!

Ciao for now,
Frodo

Old 04-28-2007 | 11:44 AM
CANYONCARVER
1st Gear
Yup, with the top down it looks great. Nice Job.
Originally Posted by Wake|MCS
Hmm I think I like it.. with the top down. Either way thats pretty amazing work.

Old 04-28-2007 | 09:39 PM
VicSkimmr
6th Gear
Love it. Not my cup of tea for styling, but it definitely matches that kit perfectly. I've been hoping for a very small wing for the cabrio, and hopefully now one of our vendors will come up with something!

Old 04-28-2007 | 09:46 PM
DjR53
4th Gear
nice job! looks cool but as i keep looking at it reminds me of a beetle? anyone else get that vibe?

Old 04-30-2007 | 12:25 PM
Jughead
4th Gear
I think the one for ImagoX would look best in flat black like the wheel arches. Just my $.02

Old 04-30-2007 | 02:07 PM
flannelhippie
5th Gear
THat looks sooo good, I like that, only on the cabby, wouldnt look good on the hard top.

Old 04-30-2007 | 04:59 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by ImagoX
That works for me... Using body filler is a known process for me - let me know if you recommend something beyond basic Bondo. I was assuming that all my sanding would be by hand. Sounds like you get it pretty close to begin with though, and my boot seems to fit pretty well.

I'm curous to see how it mounts, given that the center section has to endure opening/closure shock - I assume a mix of bolts through the sheet metal and tape?
I would actually not use bondo.....it is not meant to stand up to the stress of shutting the gate over and over. In the VW scene they use a sepcial filler that is much more felxible so that it doesnt crack like bondo does. Even on my sculptures which don't have to stand up to constant door shutting or potholes, the bondo has a tendency to crack if its doing anything besides filling small scratches or dents. Once its being used to fill gaps, large scratches, or holes....it has a problem cracking.

Props to the original poster of this project. Great craftsmanship and awesome outcome. The car is a bit honda-racer for me.....but what does that matter anyways.

Old 04-30-2007 | 05:26 PM
cycleguru
4th Gear
UP. Way Up

Old 05-01-2007 | 09:53 AM
brownflyer
|
Former Vendor
Just a follow-up post. The more I see the spoiler on the Mini, the more I really, really like it. I've gotten a number of comments on how well it completes the car. At first, I wasn't used to it but now I just can't see it w/o it.

I was also informed that the rear third light becomes difficult to see. So, at this time I will be working on a prototype that incorporates the rear light in the spoiler. Which means that, sorry ImagoX, I will not be reproducing the current one. Unless you absolutely must have one. Any Ideas on what LEDs to use? I've been doing some research but could use some help. Thanks,

I'm interested in finding out how it looks on a tin top. Any one in the North Bay Area Cali. that would be interested in test fitting one? We wouldn't be bolting it on just for pics.

Old 05-01-2007 | 10:43 AM
blainelv
4th Gear
Funny you mention the brake light thing, because after looking at the spoiler more that popped into my head. Now that yuo are talking LED's I definitely think ImagoX is your man, not sure if you have seen the posts on all the LED work that MINI has.

Old 05-01-2007 | 01:20 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Brownflyer - I PM'd you with some suggestions for the LEDs as well as a possible design change.

Leaving tomorrow for the dragon!

Thanks!

Old 06-11-2007 | 07:28 PM
MiniTron
3rd Gear
Brownflyer,

I have been out of the country for a while, so I just now saw this thread. I SO want a wing like this for my Cabrio. Even the wife loves it. I would especially be interested once you get the whole 3rd brake light issue worked out. I am positive that ImagoX can steer you in the right direction with that part. Keep up the good work and let us know when you have something you are ready to sell. (or PM me if you need another tester. hehehe)

Old 06-12-2007 | 10:03 AM
brownflyer
|
Former Vendor
Third Brake Light is on...

Alright,

After many weeks working in my garage. Sleepless nights, angry wife, screaming kids because I was paying no attention to them, here is the new third brake light for the spoiler.

I made sure that it was going to be "very visible" from any angle as well as from great distances.

Thanks to ImagoX for pointing me in the right directions.

Let me know what you guys think???

Seriously, it has taken longer than expected. Like any good project should.. !! But all the pieces are ready for the first prototype of the spoiler with the third brake light. I was hoping I could get to it this week but we shall see.

ImagoX, thank for pointing me to the LEDs. I've been using a couple of their strips. I've also tried to incorporate a cut out to save the Mini Badge and after trying different things, I was not happy with the results. Doing a cut out for the emblem left this area very weak and susceptible to considerable flex. In order to eliminate some of this, I would have to add a couple for more holes to bolt onto the boot and I didn't want to add more holes than necessary.

On a side note, I was at the MiniMania event on June 2nd in Nevada City Ca. I received a lot of compliments on the spoiler. But most exciting of all, Gary from MC2 magazine did a photo shoot of my Cabrio and it will be featured in this comming issue of the magazine.

I'll keep everyone posted on my progress...

Old 06-12-2007 | 10:40 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
I'm still thinking that if I had to de-badge the rear that I'd not go for that solution, but I see what you're concerns are about holes. Personally, I feel that once you start drilling into the body that there's really no going back (de-installing the peice really isn't an option without major fill and paint work), so if you have to drill an extra set of holes that's not as big a deal as de-badging, but others might feel differently.

Congrats on the the MC2 gig!

Old 06-12-2007 | 12:31 PM
70spop
6th Gear
Alright, here is the new third brake light for the spoiler.

That was your car I saw at MiniMania the other weekend. I thought that spoiler looked familiar. Congrats on the awards.

Edit: Hey, regarding the rear MINI badge, have you thought of replacing it with the *smaller* wings badge that comes on the *front* of the "S"? It's the same badge, but about 1/2 to 2/3 the size. Might even fit the mounting holes.

Last edited by 70spop; 06-12-2007 at 12:34 PM.
Old 06-12-2007 | 12:35 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
I'd consider that, if I had a spare front badge, but I wouldn't be OK with debadging the FRONT either.

I just love my wings I guess.

Old 06-12-2007 | 04:16 PM
oldtrojan66
4th Gear
Imagox, ok here it goes... (I reserve the right to change my mind), I was not planning on mass producing it. Specially after some inconsistencies with the mold came out and had to re-finish the spoiler in a couple of areas. I took a good amount of work to get it to where I was very satisfied (but then again, some people think I'm ****). So, I can definitely apply these changes to the next cast. What I'm saying is I'm willing to do a few spoilers but I need some test subjects (cabrio and coupe-for anybody that might be interested). The curvature of the car is so intricate in the corner pieces that if its not properly finished or mounted it will not fit right. And this is where the second caviat comes in to play: Patience. This is not something I can produce in a few days (not making sure it fits properly). If I'm not happy with it, it will not be mounted on any car...

So, Do you want to Dance?
Brown... I really like the look. I can't believe it won't change the flow of debris onto the rear window. You've done an excellent job of fabricating and application. How is it fastened? I think I may wish to be included in the 'testing' phase of the start-up of this company you're developing! Per my sig, my Sgt Pepper needs this to complete his look! Let me know what's involved, if you please, by PM thanx, david

Old 05-01-2009 | 12:45 PM
ngweibing
6th Gear
i know its a VERY old post....

any idea where i get cna it?

Old 05-01-2009 | 03:54 PM
brownflyer
|
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by ngweibing
i know its a VERY old post....

any idea where i get cna it?
Sorry, What is cna?

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Warning! Explicit & Graphic… Be warned...