JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 2nd Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs are discussed.

JCW "Better" than JCW Suspension Options?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 09:16 AM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just thought I'd add that Gabe posted a 3rd part to his JCW Suspension review today:

MotoringFile » JCW Suspension One Month Review

Old 09-26-2007, 03:15 PM
ninja_van1sh
2nd Gear
Still have my New H&R Coils for sale if u want them :/ $850 takes them

Old 09-29-2007, 09:03 AM
E-Ticket
1st Gear
Thank you everyone for the thoughts posted here since I am currently debating the exact same questions. I am not presently a Mini owner, but I intend to be soon. I will soon be placing an order for a new MCS and am currently considering how I should plan on combinations of options between factory, dealer installed OEM, and aftermarket. The decision makes a difference regarding the options selected when I order the car (there's no point in ordering the sport suspension if what I really want is the JCW or some aftermarket mods). I'm just sorry that they do not offer the JCW suspension as a factory installed option. Since you are not duplicating parts it would be less expensive.

Old 09-30-2007, 07:15 AM
a96bimmerm3
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by E-Ticket
Thank you everyone for the thoughts posted here since I am currently debating the exact same questions. I am not presently a Mini owner, but I intend to be soon. I will soon be placing an order for a new MCS and am currently considering how I should plan on combinations of options between factory, dealer installed OEM, and aftermarket. The decision makes a difference regarding the options selected when I order the car (there's no point in ordering the sport suspension if what I really want is the JCW or some aftermarket mods). I'm just sorry that they do not offer the JCW suspension as a factory installed option. Since you are not duplicating parts it would be less expensive.
I honestly think JCW is too damn expensive. Get a solid set of coilovers if you want performance, or get the sport suspension and put some H&R or Mach V springs in there. Dealer install prices are RETARDED anyway.

Old 10-02-2007, 05:31 AM
LannyMCS
3rd Gear
I have a bunch of JCW stuff on my car, and I'll agree that the prices can appear high; it depends on what perspective you take; what you're comparing it to.

I have the JCW struts/springs on my R53. I paid around $650 for them and another $400 or so to have them installed at the dealer. I feel like it would have been very easy for MINI to make it a factory option for around $500, but they sell enough of them "aftermarket" that they don't have to. Obviously, if it was a factory install, it's fair to say that there really is no additional cost involved- the parts themselves are tuned differently but do not include any extra features or exotic materials that would add cost.

But, while I'm not happy that they don't offer if from the factory, that's not one of my options. I could have gone aftermarket with Konis and TSW springs, for example, and had it installed at some shop that may or may not have worked on a MINI before, (there's no specialty MINI tuners in CT). That would not have saved me any money, and I'd have a setup that was not developed to work together-just aftermarket parts that hopefully work together well, but no fine tuning to assure that.....

With the R56, prices have gone up because front and rear bars are included, but again, adding up aftermarket prices for struts, springs, bars, and install, you're going to be into $1500+. It's not fair to suggest that just putting aftermarket springs on your factory struts for is the same type of setup. Sure, it will cost less, but you're not getting a fully worked out setup.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:37 AM
aem421
4th Gear
Originally Posted by a96bimmerm3
I honestly think JCW is too damn expensive. Get a solid set of coilovers if you want performance, or get the sport suspension and put some H&R or Mach V springs in there. Dealer install prices are RETARDED anyway.
You can get the JCW Suspension kit for $1,036 from Morristown Mini. Put the stuff on yourself or have your local repair shop do it for way less than the dealer. Just my .02 cents

Old 11-09-2007, 07:56 AM
flaco
4th Gear
Swaqy Bars

Does anyone know the size of the sway bars on the JCW suspension?

Old 11-09-2007, 08:40 AM
drewster
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by aem421
You can get the JCW Suspension kit for $1,036 from Morristown Mini. Put the stuff on yourself or have your local repair shop do it for way less than the dealer. Just my .02 cents
Good info. I've been debating, second guessing if I should have added the sport suspension to my order (from 2 days ago and which i probably could change). I had test driven an MCS w/o SS for 200 miles and 'thought' it handled fine so i left the SS option off my order. If it turns out i want to upgrade I'll go with the jcw setup. Thanks.

Old 11-09-2007, 08:04 PM
scott48
6th Gear
Originally Posted by flaco
Does anyone know the size of the sway bars on the JCW suspension?
Front=24mm
Rear=18.5mm

Old 11-16-2007, 04:30 PM
Wolfgang80
4th Gear
Scott,

If you had it to do over again, would you still get the JCW suspension + lowering springs or would you do coilovers?

I'm torn between getting the JCW and settling for a less than ideal looking ride height, getting the JCW and adding springs, doing coils or doing the sport suspension with springs. I'm thinking the JCW might be a waste of money if I'm changing out springs that were chosen for that application.

Old 11-16-2007, 05:34 PM
flaco
4th Gear
Wolfgang, I'll jump in here.

I have the JCW suspension and honestly think I would do it differently now, but that's not to say it's not a very good system. It's very balanced, meets all of my performance needs and gives me the assurance of being MINI engineer tested.

On the other hand, I wish it were a little lower and I think you may be able to find aftermarket products which give you the same performance and lower height, but with a $30,000 car I feel better overall that such an important functional system is engineered a little more conservatively. So I guess I'll live with the JCW suspension for awhile. It still rips the road and does anything I ask. But I'm 53 and slowly ......

Last edited by flaco; 11-16-2007 at 05:34 PM. Reason: mistake
Old 11-19-2007, 09:11 PM
graphicjoe
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Interesting thread. I promised myself that I would not modify my 2007 MCS. However, I keep remembering how great my BMW E30 felt after I got the suspension mods just right. It's tempting, and STS is an active class in the local autocross ranks.

I feel that many people fit excessively stiff springs to their cars when they modify the suspension, and the result can be very bad. The car's ride becomes unpleasant and choppy. Suspension travel is restricted, and bottoming can become an issue. All this, and the handling isn't so good, either, unless it is driven on smooth roads. I enjoyed my Beemer. It had Koni Yellow dampers, Eibach springs, and Ireland Engineering antisway bars. I don't know what the rate of the springs was, but they were comparatively soft. The sway bars helped to keep the car flat in corners so roll was reduced. The dampers were well suited to the springs, so the result was good balance. Everyone loved how the car handled, and most people felt the ride was comfortable.

My MCS has the sport suspension, and I am OK with the ride. But I would like to lower the car by about 15 mm. I am going to keep thinking about what to do. I am doing Phase I and II of the Evolution school in mid-December, and hope to come away from that with a good sense of what I want to do to the car--if anything. Maybe if I am good, Santa will help me out with what is right for me, of only the two of us, and the elves, can figure out what that is.

cheers,

Joe

Old 11-19-2007, 09:17 PM
scott48
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Wolfgang80
Scott,

If you had it to do over again, would you still get the JCW suspension + lowering springs or would you do coilovers?

I'm torn between getting the JCW and settling for a less than ideal looking ride height, getting the JCW and adding springs, doing coils or doing the sport suspension with springs. I'm thinking the JCW might be a waste of money if I'm changing out springs that were chosen for that application.
Delayed response as I hadn't checked this thread in a few days......I would do the JCW again...I don't need adjustable ride height, and the Mach V springs put it at the perfect ride height, plus I think the JCW shocks suit the car better than an aftermarket company, and it also save me some money....and my car handles soooo good

Old 11-19-2007, 09:19 PM
scott48
6th Gear
Originally Posted by graphicjoe
Interesting thread. I promised myself that I would not modify my 2007 MCS. However, I keep remembering how great my BMW E30 felt after I got the suspension mods just right. It's tempting, and STS is an active class in the local autocross ranks.

I feel that many people fit excessively stiff springs to their cars when they modify the suspension, and the result can be very bad. The car's ride becomes unpleasant and choppy. Suspension travel is restricted, and bottoming can become an issue. All this, and the handling isn't so good, either, unless it is driven on smooth roads. I enjoyed my Beemer. It had Koni Yellow dampers, Eibach springs, and Ireland Engineering antisway bars. I don't know what the rate of the springs was, but they were comparatively soft. The sway bars helped to keep the car flat in corners so roll was reduced. The dampers were well suited to the springs, so the result was good balance. Everyone loved how the car handled, and most people felt the ride was comfortable.

My MCS has the sport suspension, and I am OK with the ride. But I would like to lower the car by about 15 mm. I am going to keep thinking about what to do. I am doing Phase I and II of the Evolution school in mid-December, and hope to come away from that with a good sense of what I want to do to the car--if anything. Maybe if I am good, Santa will help me out with what is right for me, of only the two of us, and the elves, can figure out what that is.

cheers,

Joe
If you only want to lower it a little then get the JCW springs.

Old 11-24-2007, 08:33 AM
minipete07
3rd Gear
I'm thinking of doing the M7 coilovers...i've heard nothing but good things from them....anyone have any reviews on them?

Old 11-24-2007, 04:55 PM
flaco
4th Gear
I've had the Sport, JCW and Mach V suspensions on my R56 and am happy with the last result combining the MV springs with the JCW shocks and sways. The car seems balanced, lower on the road, and able to handle city bumps here in Washington, DC without bothering me or my 2 year old. I found the Sport suspension very unsure, like marshmellows especially with the runflats, and the JCW ok, but a little conservative on the height of the car - it still looks like it was on stilts. You can see photos of my car on all three at https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=120238. I would just go JCW from the factory and aftermarket for modifications as you get used to the car.. I bought my car used, so I didn't have this option. Hope this helps you. The most important thing is to find a good mechanic to work your suspension. Mach V has a good shop if you are in Northern Virginia.

Old 11-25-2007, 10:03 PM
going4speed
4th Gear
what springs did you go with

What springs did you go with?

I had mine installed by Morristown last week and am very happy with them. Ride just like Lannymcs explained. Whole job cost $1495 plus alignment. Great service too.

Old 11-26-2007, 03:52 AM
flaco
4th Gear
Springs

Originally Posted by going4speed
What springs did you go with?

Mach V. I like the lower height and the ride is about the same. Just get a good alignment - it's very important.

Old 11-26-2007, 05:46 AM
BobinPhilly
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Gabe
Based on what you're looking for I'd actually recommend the JCW Suspension. I've had mine for a month now and don't find it uncomfortable in the least. And the performance is fantastic on and off the track. If you want to go a little more aggressive in lowering the car and want more customization, take a look at a full coil-over system for about the same cost.

Gabe,

Probably knowing that you would eventually add the JCW sport suspension, did you order your 2007 MCS R56 with standard or sport suspension?

And, given that initial choice, which Mini wheels and RF tires (size and brand) did your MCS come equipped with originally?

Thanks, in advance, for sharing that info.

Old 11-26-2007, 07:39 AM
going4speed
4th Gear
oops

flaco,

sorry did not fully read your above post it was late

Mach V. I like the lower height and the ride is about the same. Just get a good alignment - it's very important.