JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 2nd Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs are discussed.

JCW Show us your JCW body kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 03:09 AM
Jean-My
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Magnificent R108

Old 05-17-2010, 06:26 PM
willjv
2nd Gear
Here's the latest pictures of my Cooper S (once again sorry for the horrible quality pictures... crappy blackberry LOL)

Differences from my previous posted shots are the R1 Racing Drift wheels (not really for drifting, that's just the name of the model LOL) and now I got the factory Xenons on the car (originally purchased with halogen)

Had my doubts about the wheels as I hadnt seem them on a mini except for the pictures shown on R1 Racing Wheels' site yet now that i got them I'm pretty happy with the way the car looks

Old 05-19-2010, 08:22 PM
aztec1382
2nd Gear
Nice wheels
What is everyone paying for their jcw kit unpainted
And what dealership is the least expensive

Old 05-23-2010, 04:40 AM
ckakats
1st Gear
Hello everyone, congrats on some beautyful MINIS!!
I own an 08 sparkling silver with anthracite web spokes and i am thinking about adding the AeroKit. The only think i am afraid of is weather the wheels will look a bit small... It would be very helpful to see some more pictures with aero+web spokes. I have only seen a Dark Silver and a Lighting Blue in here.
Thank you very much!!

Old 05-31-2010, 03:31 AM
Ramezess
1st Gear
Originally Posted by onefish2
my mini looks about the same

Last edited by Ramezess; 05-31-2010 at 03:37 AM.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:39 AM
ej827
2nd Gear
Ramezess, your Mini looks HOT. Post more pictures up.

Old 06-01-2010, 03:11 AM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Russian streets?

Originally Posted by Ramezess
my mini looks about the same

One Fish, I've NEVER seen streets in Russia that are that smooth. By the way, cars in Moscow never are without dents and creases. Must be a brand new car, or a Russian Mafioso owned car.

Old 06-01-2010, 06:48 AM
Ramezess
1st Gear
Originally Posted by hemisedan
One Fish, I've NEVER seen streets in Russia that are that smooth. By the way, cars in Moscow never are without dents and creases. Must be a brand new car, or a Russian Mafioso owned car.
thanks you made my evening by your comment!
Honestly, these are not typical Russian streets, but we have some places to make photos specially for your MINI friends!

Will certainly make some new pictures after the last upgrade coming very very soon

Old 06-01-2010, 02:47 PM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Russian

Originally Posted by Ramezess
thanks you made my evening by your comment!
Honestly, these are not typical Russian streets, but we have some places to make photos specially for your MINI friends!

Will certainly make some new pictures after the last upgrade coming very very soon
Ramezess,

I tried to send you a private e-mail, but was unable to, so.......The reason that I caught the Russian bit, was the Russian license plate. My wife is Russian (Olga) and she was born and raised in Moscow. Since being here in the USa now, and married for almost 10 years (and they said it wouldn't work) she has become interested in specialty cars with me. I'm an old hotrodder, so it all fits. Get back to me via personal e-mail if you can.
Bill in Iowa

Old 06-01-2010, 11:15 PM
hemisedan
6th Gear
[quote=willjv;3043522]^ I see what you mean about the whole "just put the JCW kit" and make it a special edition car... but i guess they tried saving money making the S and the JCW a pretty similar vehichle and sharing most of the components except for the higher end upgrades.

I, realize that most think that Mini is saving money by not including this JCW Aero with the Factory JCW. Let me ask a question to you: Just how much does the JCW Aero package cost the manufacturer over the regular front, rear bumpers and side skirts? Let's face it, they have to put something on it, so what is the cost difference to them? Right, maybe a hundred dollars or a little more. I doubt if it is actually more than that.

But, in saying that, doesn't it seem interesting that only in America/Canada (even though they get sport suspension and Factory Aero) that they, US that is, will be willing to shell out another $3K or so, including the labor, to make ours look like the true JCW of Europe? Right, Americans spend money on their cars, so why not make them spend money to make it a full JCW. Oh well, another of my vent tantrums.

From what I hear, all the Facory JCW's will have the same Aero kit for 2011. At least, for me that is, I hope so. Bill in Iowa

Old 06-01-2010, 11:17 PM
hemisedan
6th Gear
JCW Aero

I forgot to mention, I do like the JCW Aero kits, and will have it on my new JCW when I get it in November, whether it comes with it or not. The Factory JCW's should be distinguisable from the Mini S, and Aero kits, should be that determining factor.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:33 AM
tap33
1st Gear
wish i got the jcw aero kit, i wonder if getting just the front bumper installed would look good?

Old 06-03-2010, 10:35 AM
Xeraux
4th Gear
Originally Posted by hemisedan
The Factory JCW's should be distinguisable from the Mini S, and Aero kits, should be that determining factor.
Really?

Why?

Old 06-04-2010, 02:01 AM
Sketch
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Xeraux
Really?

Why?
Because the JCW is the next level up from a Cooper S in trim and performance. And its something to brag about if you have one. haha

Old 06-04-2010, 05:31 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[quote=hemisedan;3062715]
Originally Posted by willjv
^ I see what you mean about the whole "just put the JCW kit" and make it a special edition car... but i guess they tried saving money making the S and the JCW a pretty similar vehichle and sharing most of the components except for the higher end upgrades.

I, realize that most think that Mini is saving money by not including this JCW Aero with the Factory JCW. Let me ask a question to you: Just how much does the JCW Aero package cost the manufacturer over the regular front, rear bumpers and side skirts? Let's face it, they have to put something on it, so what is the cost difference to them? Right, maybe a hundred dollars or a little more. I doubt if it is actually more than that.

But, in saying that, doesn't it seem interesting that only in America/Canada (even though they get sport suspension and Factory Aero) that they, US that is, will be willing to shell out another $3K or so, including the labor, to make ours look like the true JCW of Europe? Right, Americans spend money on their cars, so why not make them spend money to make it a full JCW. Oh well, another of my vent tantrums.

From what I hear, all the Facory JCW's will have the same Aero kit for 2011. At least, for me that is, I hope so. Bill in Iowa

Bill,

It's not the few bucks more that it costs them to make the kit. It's the 4-5K they would charge ON TOP of the JCW price for selling it as a "true" JCW.

IMO, I think it's stupid. If you're going to sell a "GT", JCW, SS, ABC, whatever, in addition to the regular version, it should be something that the average person just can't go buy the add'l parts and bolt on and make it look the same.

With no offense to those that have it but who wants to spend money on a JCW only to have it look like every other stock mini?

Mark

Old 06-04-2010, 06:41 AM
Xeraux
4th Gear
Huh.

Having a "true" JCW must really make you guys feel special.

As opposed to those of us who have "false" JCWs.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:27 AM
hemisedan
6th Gear
JCW: costs?

[QUOTE=orangecrush;3064283][quote=hemisedan;3062715]

Bill,

It's not the few bucks more that it costs them to make the kit. It's the 4-5K they would charge ON TOP of the JCW price for selling it as a "true" JCW.

I, pretty much agree, but that $4-$5K would put it way out of my reach, along with others. Isn't that, the cost that is, one of the reasons that several of the West Coast Mini dealers have an overstock condition on JCW's? The one that I investigated this morning, they had 4 hardtops, 5 clubmans and 1 ragtop. The ragtop looked the best, but $40K+? Mayby it's just that I am a cheap midwesterner.

What I think is that Mini should start including what a JCW is, if they want a $30K base price, then let's make it so that you don't feel like you're paying $7K for engine and brakes, when you think about it, that's just about what we're doing. I will enjoy the power, the economy of the JCW, flinch when I think of what I have to spend on it to bring it up to where it should have been in the first place. By the way, I like the Aero package alot. The 2011 Mini s should be interesting thought, too.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:29 AM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Old 06-04-2010, 09:10 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Huh.

Having a "true" JCW must really make you guys feel special.

As opposed to those of us who have "false" JCWs.
You're missing the point. Don't you think that if you lay down an add'l 5-7K for the EXACT same car (other than motor) Don't you think there should be some way to differentiate the 5-7K other than one little emblem on the hatch?

I don't have "snotty JCW" attitude, I could care less, you buy what you like or can afford BUT if you do drop an extra 5-7K, I'd like the car to be different other than an emblem from a visual standpoint.

Otherwise, I didn't buy a JCW, I bought an MCS with a more powerful engine.

I think all JCW's should come with JCW brakes, ground effects, engine, seats, etc, etc... Yes it would raise the price but it would separate your car from the others.

And besides, why not, BMW does it with an M3, M5 and M6. When you buy an "M", it already comes with the ground effects, etc, etc. Otherwise you'd be buying a more powerful 3 series.

Mark

Old 06-04-2010, 09:24 AM
Xeraux
4th Gear
Originally Posted by orangecrush
You're missing the point. Don't you think that if you lay down an add'l 5-7K for the EXACT same car (other than motor) Don't you think there should be some way to differentiate the 5-7K other than one little emblem on the hatch?

I don't have "snotty JCW" attitude, I could care less, you buy what you like or can afford BUT if you do drop an extra 5-7K, I'd like the car to be different other than an emblem from a visual standpoint.

Otherwise, I didn't buy a JCW, I bought an MCS with a more powerful engine.

I think all JCW's should come with JCW brakes, ground effects, engine, seats, etc, etc... Yes it would raise the price but it would separate your car from the others.

And besides, why not, BMW does it with an M3, M5 and M6. When you buy an "M", it already comes with the ground effects, etc, etc. Otherwise you'd be buying a more powerful 3 series.

Mark
No, I really don't think I'm missing the point.

You want the "true" JCW to be something "exclusive" and I'm kind of giggling about that. They've only been doing the factory thing for what, two model years? Prior to that, ALL of the JCW add-ons were ala carte. Just because yours was assembled at the factory, doesn't mean it's any more a JCW Mini than any of the cars that came before yours.

I've had the Stage 1 kit put on mine, and I'm thinking about putting the JCW brakes on mine. That'll put me at about US$4,000.00 over the cost of the "S". I will have spent about the same amount of money on hop-up parts as I would have ordering a "true" JCW. Does spending that amount of money put me in your club?

The ability to completely customize your car is something that Mini has promoted from its inception.

There are many, many high end cars out there that you can't tell the trim level by looking at the exterior.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:55 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
I've had the Stage 1 kit put on mine, and I'm thinking about putting the JCW brakes on mine. That'll put me at about US$4,000.00 over the cost of the "S". I will have spent about the same amount of money on hop-up parts as I would have ordering a "true" JCW. Does spending that amount of money put me in your club?

Is there something wrong with you? Why do you feel that there's some sort of snobbery going on just because it's a JCW.

Actually, NO, it doesn't allow you in my "club"

The car IS different, it's not money. I hate to break the news to you but your JCW Stage I kit and brake add-on ISN"T the same, I paid an add'l 4-6K for bigger pistons and a different turbo AND different brakes.

If adding on a Stage I kit and brakes makes it's the same, why the hell would I pay an add'l 2-3K over what you can make an MCS the same for?

I had an '08 MCS with the JCW brakes (which are still smaller as an add-on than a JCW brake kit from the factory) and the Stage I kit.

All I'm saying is IF the manufacturer is going to charge 4-6K more than the same car, it SHOULD be able to be seen for something other than an emblem.

I'm not sure why you think that I think my JCW is "exclusive". I just think it's ridiculous to make their "performance" version look the same as their stock version.

Take a look at Corvette. The Z06 is NOTICEABLY different than a regular C6.
Take a look at BMW. The M5 is NOTICEABLY different than a regular M5.
Take a look at Nissan. The Nismo 350Z is NOTICEABLY different than a regular 350Z.
Take a look at Chevrolet. The SS2 Camaro is NOTICEABLY different than a regular camaro.
Take a look at Honda. The Muguen Civic is NOTICEABLY different than a regular Civic.

So why should Mini's performance Mini not look any different than a regular mini.

Mark

BTW. I'm done with this thread, this wasn't suppose to be a JCW vs. MCS thread... I could care less what anyone drives... they're all minis and I love them regardless. Move this back on topic.

Last edited by orangecrush; 06-04-2010 at 10:03 AM.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:57 AM
Xeraux
4th Gear
Originally Posted by orangecrush
Is there something wrong with you? Why do you feel that there's some sort of snobbery going on just because it's a JCW.

Actually, NO, it doesn't allow you in my "club"

The car IS different, it's not money. I hate to break the news to you but your JCW Stage I kit and brake add-on ISN"T the same, I paid an add'l 4-6K for bigger pistons and a different turbo.

Last edited by Xeraux; 06-04-2010 at 10:05 AM.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:16 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
Well I like being in an exclusive club. That is why I bought a Factory JCW and not a cooper S with the stage 1 kit. I like the fact that are so very few true JCW cars on the road. That almost no one knows what the car is and that it is crazy fast for a little car.

I live in an area where there are many MINI dealerships. I see MINIs every day. In the past 18 months I remember spotting less than 10 on the road. That is pretty exclusive to me. And I like it that way.

The car should come with the JCW aero kit. The car should come with the JCW suspension The car should come with the JCW steering wheel. It should have these things at bare minimum to distinguish it from a Cooper S. Just like BMW does with the M cars and Audi does with the S cars. When those cars drive by, you know they are more exclusive, more expensive versions with bigger engines and other re-worked parts.

2 JCW logo badges, a flag badge and door sills just do not cut it.

Its a different engine... perhaps there should be a JCW logo on it? I have a MINI logo on mine. The newer cars do not even have that.

MINI did a horrible job with the JCW sub brand and it looks like they are perpetuating it with the 2011 model year as well.

http://www.motoringfile.com/2010/06/...wer-increases/

I made my car into the JCW it should have been from the factory. I added the JCW suspension, JCW aero kit and most of the CF trim. And I spent a lot of money along the way.

Maybe I should have leased another 3 series BMW like the car I had before the MINI. It probably would have been cheaper.

Before:

After...

And I am still not done. More mods to come .

Last edited by onefish2; 06-06-2010 at 07:08 AM.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:01 PM
hemisedan
6th Gear
JCW upgrades

And I am still not done. More mods to come .[/QUOTE]

Steve,

Ok, I'll bite, what's next? Coil/overs?, suspension mods? You've done just about everything else.

On the 2011's......That picture that was shown of the Pepper White with the Red top, kind of grows on ya, know what I mean? I've always kind of like the Pepper White. I, also like the new MiniS wheels too, much better than the JCW wheels to me.
Bill

Old 06-04-2010, 06:09 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
I was thinking about coilovers with Vorshalg camber plates but I do not know enough about suspensions to warrant the time it would take to get everything dialed in. The JCW suspension is OK. Its starting to take its toll on me as it is still harsh even with non run flat tires. I drive in Manhattan and the NYC area for work and lately its killing me. Maybe I will trade it in for a Buick .

Quick Reply: JCW Show us your JCW body kit