JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 2nd Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs are discussed.

JCW JCW Engine Kit (R56) - installed, reviewed, impressions!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008 | 06:28 PM
samroberto
|
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by BDBMCS
Samroberto... now that you've had the JCW kit for a week or so do you still like it as much? I read somewhere in this forum someone thought the exhaust was kind of loud on the expressway. Thats my only real concern. I planning to sell my plug-n-play chip and go the same way you did. Just wonder about the noise level. Nice write up by the way.
Hey there
No, it's with absolute truth and certainty that I say, I am thrilled as the day I brought it home.

And.... well, my previous Magnaflow'd mini was LOUD on the free way.. This ?? ... hehehe ... PERFECT !!!!!!
NO droning. ever. In fact I love decelerating just so I can hear it. The tone, honestly, is perfect. It could be a touch louder for my tastes,
BUT
according to some JCW and Alta exhaust owners, it gets even beefier and slightly more audible as you wear it in ... So I'm definitely looking FORWARD to that stage. ...

And, the exhaust and noise level being your concern,
all your wildest fears will be smoothed over with the JCW. breath a sigh of relief. The noise is excellently subtle with distinct tonality .. Again, I even think it might be even MORE fantastic, a touch louder. I don't think you would be disappointed at all.

// Cheers,
Sam

Old 07-29-2008 | 06:35 PM
BDBMCS
1st Gear
Thanks Sam. Looks like the Unichip will probably end up on Ebay. I'm thinking the JCW kit will make a pretty good starting point for the mods I have in mind.

Old 07-30-2008 | 05:21 AM
samroberto
|
3rd Gear
cool! What other mods you have in mind ? I'm looking at an Alta foam filter, boost tubes, and the new JCW inlet tube we've been reading about.. Eventually an intercooler...

Old 07-30-2008 | 06:02 PM
BDBMCS
1st Gear
The Alta intake and boost tubes. Then intercooler. Gets pretty hot here in Little Rock. Though I think the IC will get a heat dispersant coating. A place down in Texas does it. Its supposed to cool off to the low 90's tomrrow. So heat control is important here.

Old 07-30-2008 | 06:17 PM
SPUNKY
2nd Gear
so the JCW kit is worth every penny I just started to save for it and after I get the kit I'll also add the alta boost tubes, CAI, and turbo inlet hose also maybe if I can somehow con my parents into getting me the plug and play ECU. BUTTTTT I'm going to deck my car out in JCW I want the strut brace, brake kit, and aero kit... Thats not too too much to ask for also H&R springs, I have a list I'll just make a forum and keep everyone informed on my project and take pictures along the way... this is going to be the first car I'll ever mod my R56 S im already getting excited and saved so far $1300

Old 07-30-2008 | 07:34 PM
samroberto
|
3rd Gear
Hey Spunk sounds good !!! You will LOVE ... the JCW ... really, I'm a young guy too, and it's not the easiest pill to swallow, but I love it, and would recommend it to anyone.
A couple things I thought of in your post : - You may or may not want to go with the CAI, I had the DDM and it was fantastic, the sound of the turbo whine and bypass was so addicting, but I did switch to the JCW intake because after all you DO have to buy it and it was lying around in my garage.. So I put it on and I really like it, a little bit more sound than stock, not like the DDM though. Of course you can just get the Alta, love it for a while, then switch or just keep it on anyway ... all personal taste really.
Plug n Play ECU ... Hmmm.... I ALMOST got one at their special price but passed, especially when I considered the JCW ecu tuning. THe jcw tuning is fantastic, you will unbelievably notice the new power in the car. I am not even sure that the Alta plug n play ECU will work on a JCW-ECU'd car .... Might want to check on that but to my knowledge your r56 needs to think like a stock computer.. not jcw... If you CAN do both, well, that's your call, and you may or may not get nearly as high gains from the Alta AFTER the car already "thinks" with better performance due to the JCW ....

Good luck with the saving !!! ... It was real hard for me too especially when I saw the ALta PnP and other pieces, but I finally outlasted and it's worth it worth it worth it worth it worth it

I'll be looking at Alta tubing next as well Although, I've ordered the JCW Turbo Inlet Tube, as per the other recent thread, and I'll be going with the Alta BOOST tubes, and some other stuff. Just have to talk with Adam for a deal

Old 07-30-2008 | 09:19 PM
got.pho?
4th Gear
Dont forget to try to dyno your car! Im interested in numbers =] rather than "whats its supposed" to add, seeing as everyone LOVES their kits

Old 07-30-2008 | 10:39 PM
jproz
3rd Gear
Proud owner of JCW tuning kit 1, alta boost tubes, inlet tube, intercooler...
also have the cross coilovers...
m7 ram-2 just arrive along with the strut tower plates..
ddm street intake (which I'll have the mini madness filter on it, not the foam one) and ram air on the way.

lovin every bit of driving it.

Looking at potentially doing the invidia catback and a SSK.

not sure what else I'll do till the chip tuners get their act to together.

Old 07-31-2008 | 07:38 AM
samroberto
|
3rd Gear
I got in touch with a tune shop and they are going to dyno the car hopefully this week or next !!!

Old 09-13-2008 | 11:12 AM
papadimitriou
2nd Gear
I really envy you guys...
Here in my beloved country..(Greece), the kit costs almost $2950 (installed)...

Old 09-13-2008 | 01:50 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Sorry to hear that papa. Parts and labor cost me 1730 out the door.

Mark

Old 09-13-2008 | 01:59 PM
seebobgo
2nd Gear
Thanks Mark, looks like we were both shorted. I'm not going to let this go without a fight. It sounds silly but I want what I paid for. You got a great deal but I don't have the spare time you have.

Old 09-14-2008 | 05:31 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
Do they make the Stage 1 kit for a manual S Clubman?

Old 09-14-2008 | 08:26 PM
SomethingNew71
4th Gear
Originally Posted by greatgro

Yeah man the clubman S is the same engine as the R56 Cooper S. The will be happy to take your money for the JCW.

Old 09-15-2008 | 08:52 AM
bentyyc
5th Gear
This is supposed to be coming "soon", but I believe the hold-up is around finalizing the exhaust. Everything else should be the same the R56...

Old 09-17-2008 | 10:18 AM
futuremini
6th Gear
I am thinking about buying this kit too. Everyone still happy with the kit after getting a few miles on it? Do you feel like the power has increased any after your initial install?

Old 09-17-2008 | 12:07 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SomethingNew71
Yeah man the clubman S is the same engine as the R56 Cooper S. The will be happy to take your money for the JCW.
Yes I know they have the same engine. The problem/difference is the exhaust. The S Clubman has a dual exhaust with the mufflers/tailpipes at the corners instead of the center (a beautiful look IMO).

Anyone hear a specific date/month? I'll be ordering a Clubman S soon so probably be a November/December delivery.

Old 09-17-2008 | 12:56 PM
bentyyc
5th Gear
Anyone hear a specific date/month? I'll be ordering a Clubman S soon so probably be a November/December delivery.
Nothing confirmed, but the scuttlebutt (sp?) seems to be Q4 2008 for the R55 JCW Engine kit, and Q1 2009 for the R55 JCW Aero kit...

Old 09-17-2008 | 04:20 PM
sequence
6th Gear
too bad U just cant build a JCW automatic, maybe down the road bmw will design and build a killer DSG auto tranny setup like VDub/Audi and integrate that into the equation.

Old 09-18-2008 | 11:20 AM
futuremini
6th Gear
Well it is done!!! The JCW kit is on order! Now just waiting for the call that it is in.

Old 09-28-2008 | 02:59 AM
papadimitriou
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by samroberto
I got in touch with a tune shop and they are going to dyno the car hopefully this week or next !!!

We are all on fire, tell us the results!

Old 10-02-2008 | 03:26 PM
futuremini
6th Gear
It is installed and well worth it! Just smoother power overall. The exhaust sounds great too! Off idle throttle response is much improved too, feels like the sport button is on all the time. Very happy even though I have only had it on for less than a day!

Old 10-05-2008 | 05:15 PM
seebobgo
2nd Gear
I'm with you Rowan. I ran a 14.38 @ 96.7 last Friday!

Old 10-05-2008 | 06:05 PM
futuremini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by seebobgo
I'm with you Rowan. I ran a 14.38 @ 96.7 last Friday!
VERY NICE!!

Old 10-07-2008 | 11:11 AM
Auto_Pilot
6th Gear
Never mind...got my answer.

I'm looking into what it will cost me here in the Bay Area...hopefully I can score it under 1800.

Last edited by Auto_Pilot; 10-07-2008 at 11:18 AM.

Quick Reply: JCW JCW Engine Kit (R56) - installed, reviewed, impressions!!!