JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 2nd Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs are discussed.

JCW JCW Engine Kit (R56) - installed, reviewed, impressions!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008 | 07:32 PM
samroberto
|
3rd Gear
JCW Engine Kit (R56) - installed, reviewed, impressions!!!

Went to Cincinnati MINI yesterday morning to have the whole kit installed. As per my previous thread on mix-matching parts, and learning about what you CAN and CAN'T do with JCW policies and such, I ended up going with the whole kit for a really really good deal (though it was still much more than I was going to spend on the exhaust, in the first place).

Got to hang out in the tech bays while they were doing everything JCW to the car, and I took photographs of everything like a spy or newspaper reporter. Trouble is, I have no clue how to get them ON THIS THREAD !!! %^&

That said- on to the review.

A) I am a 20 y/o college student, and already modded previous cooper into the ground - initially I would without a doubt go for "more bang for your buck" parts, and never pay an arm/leg for " " miniscule" " gains. Why would you pay MORE for LESS with the JCW vs. say, other aftermarket options ??

B) I love sound, and a quiet exhaust is disappointing, but learning a lesson from my last cooper (magnaflow), TOO LOUD and droning can be SWEET, but get real old,
REAL fast.

WOW.
wow wow.
wow wow wow.

I hated paying even 1883.00 (final out the door price), that's a good chunk for me..
BUT.
It was worth every penny. and that is 188,300 pennies, or 188.3 kilo-pennies, if you like.

SOUND:
The JCW exhaust certainly is not as loud as my previous experience with the Magnaflow, but it's very nice. The exhaust is perfectly made, and now, I really do understand the reason why JCW makes things a certain way, engineered a certain way.
It's not earthquake loud, to say the least. But idling is different - it's very deep, albeit the volume is softer compared to some aftermarkets, but it's noticeable from the get go. Accelerating is wonderful in terms of sound, (power discussed shortly), and you can definitely hear it IN the cabin, and OUT of the cabin (did a drive by my dad and some friends), windows up and windows down (but of course, windows down is more fun for hearing the exhaust).
Like some one else said on these forums, it really DOES go from an alto to a baritone.
The tips ? Completely bad-a .. I love them.

POWER:
wow. I know the published numbers of this kit, and of course most JCW owners loving it, and non-owners being somewhat skeptical.
-
FORGET THE NUMBERS. First of all with Minis, r56 vs. r53, their acceleration is very different from 1st gen, and the numbers are almost the same. So does that tell you something about relying on numbers ?
Before this kit, and when researching aftermarket options, I was always so "in my head", so painfully cerebral. 13.9999 horsepower there, but I can get 18.11111 horsepower from somewhere else ! ???
Numbers can fool you
(although they certainly count for something, pun not intended).

The JCW tuning is very nice, and that is an understatement.
The boost curve is raised, everywhere, there's nothing but PURE POWER over the silly 3.5k boost drop.
TOP END - it just keeps going, and going and going. The power pulls EXTREMELY NOTICEABLY all the way to redline.

* I know we've discussed on these forums about shifting when the boost drops versus shifting near redline when the outputs "peak" (more butt-detectable to some than others.. )..
The JCW KIT really, really influences that- you keep your foot in the floor and it just gets better and better and better, the aggressive-enough exhaust announcing every climb in rpms.

About the JCW exhaust too - when you let off the throttle (not talking about engine braking, but about cruising/coasting) it disappears. NO DRONING. NOT at all, and even though I'm 20 and I love ridiculously amazing sounds, I honestly, really really really appreciated this.
Of course, even blow on the accelerator and the GROWL returns, and also take off the cruise control and decel, and it's there also.
Perfect exhaust. Might be a touch louder, but it's very nice already , LOOKS fantastic with those slanted tips , and growls distinctly.
Peons will here you coming, flying, and then going.

STEERING:
some speculation on this.. But I took the same corners I usually do and the same 120 mph roads I like to fly on (moderators overlook that) and the wheel felt MUCH tighter, MUCH heavier, it's like grabbing on to my dad's '08 M3 Of course it doesn't change the suspension, duh, but it definitely is very nice having a really weighted grip.

OVERALL:

Hmm... For me, I went from modding everything on the first cooper, voiding every warranty I could, getting every increase I could, overlooking droning, harsh suspension rides, and living with rattles. I'm a student on a budget and very well COULD have gotten "more numbers" for "less money".

I LOVE THIS KIT. (I even took the DDM intake off and put the JCW intake on just because.. though I might switch it back for the sound )
I LOVE THIS KIT.

The power is incredible, the engineering of course is impeccable, and I have finger-pointing immunity, a much faster car, some nice sound, and no rattles, sacrifices, or harshness.

Step on the throttle, you can feel it right away, and hear it right away.
The sport button OFF, is a little more zoomy, steering is perhaps slightly weighted. Really though, the JCW sport button OFF, is more like the stock r56 ON .... and the JCW sport button ON, has very nicely weighted steering, and most importantly, even better response. Though I will say that the difference between stock r56 sport button off/on isn't as, mm, "sharp" a contrast IMO ... From my stock r56, turning the sport button ON was very jumpy, sort of pleasantly "edgy" ... But the JCW setup is smoother I think, not "edgy", just, more responsive.

** I will note that -> The moment I drove away from the dealer for the first sampling of this JCW ... I was completely mystified and underwhelmed as to why the car was NOT driving well at all. I would floor it and the car would just think for a minute, then give me delayed power- which I could tell, was better than before, but it just felt really odd. There I was on the on-ramps near the dealership - scared, defenseless, worried- were my expectations way too high ? What about the money I just paid ... ? This is MUCH LESS responsive than stock. Is the JCW software even ON here ? Did they screw up ???

I returned to the MINI lot... turned the car off. Went in and traded in my legs for their fancy shmancy receipt, and pondered mysteriously about this.

Drove the car home, after 30 minutes, MUCH better. I don;t know if the ecu has to "re-learn" certain things, or just adapt to the new setup or adapt to my driving style, no clue. But after a bit of time and a restart, it was PERFECT, as described initially.

Very pleased with this kit, and I would highly recommend it to anyone, even in nice combination with their many aftermarket mods.
For me, even though it was 1883.00, and that's a good size chunk for me,
I am glad I paid every peeny.

If you want a ridiculously loud earth shattering exhaust, mmm, sorry not for you.

*Afterthought* - In thinking of the JCW plumbing size, I guess I may not be able to do an aftermarket downpipe connection - but, I wasn't planning to anyway- ...

I'll be looking to improve the efficiency of this already EXCELLENT JCW kit in later times, like probably adding ALTA tubes, ALTA IC...
But honestly, there will always be more power, and more power, so I won't go with anyone's downpipe or replace the exhaust. The JCW software adds loads more power, and I'm quite satisfied.

Next step, swaybar, ditch the runflats, BMW CCA track time...
And also, ALTA tubes and IC... After I find some $$$.

Until someone can explain how to get photos onto this thread, I have posted all the shots of the whole morning, here:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...0&id=141304132

Old 07-20-2008 | 08:52 PM
Mark Kurzius
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by samroberto
Went to Cincinnati MINI yesterday morning to have the whole kit installed. As per my previous thread on mix-matching parts, and learning about what you CAN and CAN'T do with JCW policies and such, I ended up going with the whole kit for a really really good deal (though it was still much more than I was going to spend on the exhaust, in the first place).

Got to hang out in the tech bays while they were doing everything JCW to the car, and I took photographs of everything like a spy or newspaper reporter. Trouble is, I have no clue how to get them ON THIS THREAD !!! %^&

That said- on to the review.

A) I am a 20 y/o college student, and already modded previous cooper into the ground - initially I would without a doubt go for "more bang for your buck" parts, and never pay an arm/leg for " " miniscule" " gains. Why would you pay MORE for LESS with the JCW vs. say, other aftermarket options ??

B) I love sound, and a quiet exhaust is disappointing, but learning a lesson from my last cooper (magnaflow), TOO LOUD and droning can be SWEET, but get real old,
REAL fast.

WOW.
wow wow.
wow wow wow.

I hated paying even 1883.00 (final out the door price), that's a good chunk for me..
BUT.
It was worth every penny. and that is 188,300 pennies, or 188.3 kilo-pennies, if you like.

SOUND:
The JCW exhaust certainly is not as loud as my previous experience with the Magnaflow, but it's very nice. The exhaust is perfectly made, and now, I really do understand the reason why JCW makes things a certain way, engineered a certain way.
It's not earthquake loud, to say the least. But idling is different - it's very deep, albeit the volume is softer compared to some aftermarkets, but it's noticeable from the get go. Accelerating is wonderful in terms of sound, (power discussed shortly), and you can definitely hear it IN the cabin, and OUT of the cabin (did a drive by my dad and some friends), windows up and windows down (but of course, windows down is more fun for hearing the exhaust).
Like some one else said on these forums, it really DOES go from an alto to a baritone.
The tips ? Completely bad-a .. I love them.

POWER:
wow. I know the published numbers of this kit, and of course most JCW owners loving it, and non-owners being somewhat skeptical.
-
FORGET THE NUMBERS. First of all with Minis, r56 vs. r53, their acceleration is very different from 1st gen, and the numbers are almost the same. So does that tell you something about relying on numbers ?
Before this kit, and when researching aftermarket options, I was always so "in my head", so painfully cerebral. 13.9999 horsepower there, but I can get 18.11111 horsepower from somewhere else ! ???
Numbers can fool you
(although they certainly count for something, pun not intended).

The JCW tuning is very nice, and that is an understatement.
The boost curve is raised, everywhere, there's nothing but PURE POWER over the silly 3.5k boost drop.
TOP END - it just keeps going, and going and going. The power pulls EXTREMELY NOTICEABLY all the way to redline.

* I know we've discussed on these forums about shifting when the boost drops versus shifting near redline when the outputs "peak" (more butt-detectable to some than others.. )..
The JCW KIT really, really influences that- you keep your foot in the floor and it just gets better and better and better, the aggressive-enough exhaust announcing every climb in rpms.

About the JCW exhaust too - when you let off the throttle (not talking about engine braking, but about cruising/coasting) it disappears. NO DRONING. NOT at all, and even though I'm 20 and I love ridiculously amazing sounds, I honestly, really really really appreciated this.
Of course, even blow on the accelerator and the GROWL returns, and also take off the cruise control and decel, and it's there also.
Perfect exhaust. Might be a touch louder, but it's very nice already , LOOKS fantastic with those slanted tips , and growls distinctly.
Peons will here you coming, flying, and then going.

STEERING:
some speculation on this.. But I took the same corners I usually do and the same 120 mph roads I like to fly on (moderators overlook that) and the wheel felt MUCH tighter, MUCH heavier, it's like grabbing on to my dad's '08 M3 Of course it doesn't change the suspension, duh, but it definitely is very nice having a really weighted grip.

OVERALL:

Hmm... For me, I went from modding everything on the first cooper, voiding every warranty I could, getting every increase I could, overlooking droning, harsh suspension rides, and living with rattles. I'm a student on a budget and very well COULD have gotten "more numbers" for "less money".

I LOVE THIS KIT. (I even took the DDM intake off and put the JCW intake on just because.. though I might switch it back for the sound )
I LOVE THIS KIT.

The power is incredible, the engineering of course is impeccable, and I have finger-pointing immunity, a much faster car, some nice sound, and no rattles, sacrifices, or harshness.

Step on the throttle, you can feel it right away, and hear it right away.
The sport button OFF, is a little more zoomy, steering is perhaps slightly weighted. Really though, the JCW sport button OFF, is more like the stock r56 ON .... and the JCW sport button ON, has very nicely weighted steering, and most importantly, even better response. Though I will say that the difference between stock r56 sport button off/on isn't as, mm, "sharp" a contrast IMO ... From my stock r56, turning the sport button ON was very jumpy, sort of pleasantly "edgy" ... But the JCW setup is smoother I think, not "edgy", just, more responsive.

** I will note that -> The moment I drove away from the dealer for the first sampling of this JCW ... I was completely mystified and underwhelmed as to why the car was NOT driving well at all. I would floor it and the car would just think for a minute, then give me delayed power- which I could tell, was better than before, but it just felt really odd. There I was on the on-ramps near the dealership - scared, defenseless, worried- were my expectations way too high ? What about the money I just paid ... ? This is MUCH LESS responsive than stock. Is the JCW software even ON here ? Did they screw up ???

I returned to the MINI lot... turned the car off. Went in and traded in my legs for their fancy shmancy receipt, and pondered mysteriously about this.

Drove the car home, after 30 minutes, MUCH better. I don;t know if the ecu has to "re-learn" certain things, or just adapt to the new setup or adapt to my driving style, no clue. But after a bit of time and a restart, it was PERFECT, as described initially.

Very pleased with this kit, and I would highly recommend it to anyone, even in nice combination with their many aftermarket mods.
For me, even though it was 1883.00, and that's a good size chunk for me,
I am glad I paid every peeny.

If you want a ridiculously loud earth shattering exhaust, mmm, sorry not for you.

*Afterthought* - In thinking of the JCW plumbing size, I guess I may not be able to do an aftermarket downpipe connection - but, I wasn't planning to anyway- ...

I'll be looking to improve the efficiency of this already EXCELLENT JCW kit in later times, like probably adding ALTA tubes, ALTA IC...
But honestly, there will always be more power, and more power, so I won't go with anyone's downpipe or replace the exhaust. The JCW software adds loads more power, and I'm quite satisfied.

Next step, swaybar, ditch the runflats, BMW CCA track time...
And also, ALTA tubes and IC... After I find some $$$.

Until someone can explain how to get photos onto this thread, I have posted all the shots of the whole morning, here:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...0&id=141304132
Can't agree with you more...I have had the kit on my car since day one and the car is just stupid fun and plenty fast.I added the Alta tubes the next week and a few weeks later the intercooler.The car growls and runs like a scared rabbit.The exhaust has gotten a liitle throatier as it has worn in and sounds great.I drove the new JCW yesterday and I think my car may be slightly faster right now.But when somebody adds the same things I have added it should be a liitle beast,especially when it has time to work in.All in all the Stage one kit is an amazing enhancement for a great little car...I have driven it hard since day one and so far it's been an absolute pleasure....As i said the car is stupid fun....Motor ON

Old 07-21-2008 | 03:40 AM
samroberto
|
3rd Gear
Did you notice any nice gains from the addition of the Alta tubes and IC ?? As I mentioned somewhere above, those are probably the next power-related items on my list.. Since I'm not looking at a DP, they'll be the only semi-involved upgrades I do for a long while.
Any thoughts on the parts ?

Old 07-21-2008 | 03:50 AM
japper
3rd Gear
Did you notice any nice gains from the addition of the Alta tubes and IC ?? As I mentioned somewhere above, those are probably the next power-related items on my list.. Since I'm not looking at a DP, they'll be the only semi-involved upgrades I do for a long while.
Any thoughts on the parts ?
Either the ALTA, or alternatively the JCW factory turbo inlet pipe ( £60 ) is well worth it as your next 2 minute mod.

Oh, and the ITG foam filter replacement too

Old 07-21-2008 | 05:33 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Great writeup... makes me feel better about where our money is going. I remember you already had a DDM (?) CAI, did you keep it or end up using the JCW CAI?

Let us know how the car runs with each add-on. (ie. tubes, etc, etc)

Thanks and congrats on achieving what you set out to get.

Mark

Old 07-21-2008 | 08:42 AM
davo_florida
2nd Gear
how many hours labor was the kit installed?

Old 07-21-2008 | 03:35 PM
samroberto
|
3rd Gear
Thanks guys !!

- It took 1.5 hours at the dealer, total. That's what I was billed for.

- Would the ITG filter replacement do much ? I mean, in theory it should give more airflow but... It might not even be noticeable. I suppose it couldn't hurt.

-I still have the DDM street intake, I don't know what to do with it just yet. I think the JCW is a really nice system. One thing I do sort of miss, is the turbo whining and whooshing when I'm accelerating..
IS THERE ANY WAY ... to get some of that back ?

It was just fun to hear it.. Any chance to get some turbine sound out of the JCW intake ? (I suppose I could poke holes in it )

Thanks much !
SAM

Old 07-21-2008 | 06:39 PM
Augie05
4th Gear
I just had the JCW Kit installed on my 08 R56 on Friday. Very happy with it. At first, I actually thought the exhaust was TOO loud but love it now. (I am a bit older than 20....) The car feels and sounds so much better now.

I just got home after spending the day at VIR running in the Phil Wicks Mini Driving School. I managed to catch a few other Mini's on the short straight away (1.65 mile South Course) at approx. 110 MPH. It just pulls all the way to 6,500 RPM while it would fade away at about 5,000 RPM previously. I am VERY happy with the kit and would do it again in a heartbeat. I was a bit skeptical before based on some of the numbers I saw but the kit is much more than the published numbers.

Old 07-21-2008 | 07:07 PM
ATCQL
5th Gear
Japper,do you know where to purchase the JCW turbo inlet pipe?Q

Old 07-21-2008 | 07:18 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
I only have one question....

WHEN THE HELL IS MINI COMING OUT WITH THE JCW KIT FOR AUTOMATICS????????

Hmmmph.

Old 07-21-2008 | 07:49 PM
got.pho?
4th Gear
Im skeptical, but Im glad you like your results. Do you think the dealer will let me drive one?

Old 07-21-2008 | 07:51 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by got.pho?
Im skeptical, but Im glad you like your results. Do you think the dealer will let me drive one?
The only problem with that is he has a Stage I kit. (tune, exhaust and CAI)

The one at your dealer is a Stage II kit (bigger pistons, etc, etc)

May not quite be fair...

I think the Stage II is like 207 HP and the Stage I is roughly 190 HP

Someone will correct me I'm sure if it's wrong...

Mark

Old 07-21-2008 | 07:56 PM
got.pho?
4th Gear
anyone in the charlotte area have a stage 1 i can try? =]

Old 07-21-2008 | 08:02 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
I went down to our dealership (gotpho?) also and they had a JCW clubman on the floor.

I wanted so bad to take it for a test drive but had other committments. I'll bet it's sold now.

Point is, you may want to call the dealership and talk to Aimee and see if it's still there.

Mark

Old 07-21-2008 | 08:08 PM
Mark Kurzius
3rd Gear
Thanks guys !!

- Would the ITG filter replacement do much ? I mean, in theory it should give more airflow but... It might not even be noticeable. I suppose it couldn't hurt.

-I still have the DDM street intake, I don't know what to do with it just yet. I think the JCW is a really nice system. One thing I do sort of miss, is the turbo whining and whooshing when I'm accelerating..

It was just fun to hear it.. Any chance to get some turbine sound out of the JCW intake ? (I suppose I could poke holes in it )

Thanks much !
SAM
Install the Alta Inlet and down tubes,you will hear it,Besides the extra power,the car growls through out the acceleration range,the tubes remove a muffler between the intercooler and the turbo.you really should call Adam @ Alta and discuss your car with him.The bottom line is you will love the sound and the added power and boost.You won't be dissapointed....

Old 07-21-2008 | 08:17 PM
got.pho?
4th Gear
sweet, mark, do you know anyone in charlotte who wants 20% of of mini stuff? I have a coupon, but don't think i want anything =/

Ill see if i can swing by the dealership and ask my buddy drew if i can drive something =]

Old 07-21-2008 | 08:32 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by got.pho?
sweet, mark, do you know anyone in charlotte who wants 20% of of mini stuff? I have a coupon, but don't think i want anything =/

Ill see if i can swing by the dealership and ask my buddy drew if i can drive something =]
I wonder if they'll let me use the 20% plus my bodyshop discount...lol.

When you see Drew, tell him Mark wants to know when the auto JCW kit is coming in...

I think if I ask him one more time, he may ban me from entering the dealership...

Mark

Old 07-22-2008 | 12:20 AM
japper
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by atcql
Japper,do you know where to purchase the JCW turbo inlet pipe?Q
If you want to order from the UK ( these parts are only stock in Germany anyway ) then PM me and i'll let you have dealer contact details. ( he accepts paypal )

C.

Old 07-22-2008 | 12:21 AM
japper
3rd Gear
Thanks guys !!

Thanks much !
SAM

The ITG filter is WELL worth the £55 it cost me. Been running it for 9k miles and it has improved throttle response and a bit more pep.

Old 07-22-2008 | 04:12 AM
got.pho?
4th Gear
I ask drew about discounts all the time, for example
-hey drew how much is __??? so how much can YOU get it for??
haha, factory upgrade is tempting specially with th ecu flash, but aftermarket looks god too =[

Old 07-26-2008 | 01:03 PM
MakoBimmer
4th Gear
Samroberto...Nice write up! I too am wanting to mod, but hesitate to do things that will void my warranty. I think Im going with the JCW kit as you have done. Im 40 and really dont care for loud droning exhausts and prefer quality mods over a questionable piece-mealed approach to increasing power.
If I wanted MAX power, I would have bought the JCW model to begin with. I have an M Roadster when needing to feel real speed.... This car will be for commuting, but I still want to have some fun on the drive to and from work!

Old 07-26-2008 | 02:01 PM
JCW4me
2nd Gear
Nice write up

Old 07-29-2008 | 04:24 AM
BDBMCS
1st Gear
JCW tune kit

Samroberto... now that you've had the JCW kit for a week or so do you still like it as much? I read somewhere in this forum someone thought the exhaust was kind of loud on the expressway. Thats my only real concern. I planning to sell my plug-n-play chip and go the same way you did. Just wonder about the noise level. Nice write up by the way.

Old 07-29-2008 | 05:50 AM
haddes
Neutral
If that may help, my R56 as been jcw'ed last february, and has spent 10.000 kms since. Noise level as change quite a bit, and is now absolutely perfect for me. Very "bass" tonned at low revs to an "animal" roar at high rpm . . . absolutely sweet and all my hairs rise up every time i slam the right pedal. For sure it's louder than it was at the beginning, but nothing bad such as droning . . , I can now hear the turbo much more than after installation and the exhaust burbles as much as it can.

If you are interested, here is a sound clip
MP3 SOUND CLIP ( sorry the quality is not perfect )

The power delivery of the kit quite changed too, maybe i've lost a tad of low peak torque, (now closer to 1800 - 1900 ) but the beast now never stops to pull up to 6500 I know the torque should fail before . . . but it doesn't seem to . . . it's absolutely addicting !

It is blasting fast when needed, and sweetly smooth at other times . . . just perfect for me.

Old 07-29-2008 | 06:32 AM
MINIspud
5th Gear
Couldn't agree more. JCW Tuning + suspension is exactly what I wanted!

Quick Reply: JCW JCW Engine Kit (R56) - installed, reviewed, impressions!!!