JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 2nd Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs are discussed.

JCW JCW exhaust drone?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 09:26 PM
SomethingNew71
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok so just to clarify what I am talking about when I say drone. I am talking about that deep bassy noise that makes it terrible on long trips and makes my friends in the back seat incapable of hearing anyone in the front seat because of the deep noise. Not the Loud noise just the annoying frequency that bounces around the car. Drive in a car with a custom magnaflow muffler and you will know EXACTLY what I am talking about.

Old 12-08-2008, 04:36 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SomethingNew71
Ok so just to clarify what I am talking about when I say drone. I am talking about that deep bassy noise that makes it terrible on long trips and makes my friends in the back seat incapable of hearing anyone in the front seat because of the deep noise. Not the Loud noise just the annoying frequency that bounces around the car. Drive in a car with a custom magnaflow muffler and you will know EXACTLY what I am talking about.

Oh, we all know what drone you're talking about...especially those of us older guys that used to use flowmasters on mustangs. The DROOOOONNNING would go on for hours.... by the time I'd get out of my car, my head was swimming.

My parents live in FL. My father's health is failing and I visit him more than ever. It's a 700 mile trip which I have made at least 4-5 times in the last month. Each time, I drive the mini. Each time, there is NO drone. I can drive that car forever with the exhaust.

In fact, when I get to certain parts of I95 and I75, I can run 95-100mph for miles on end and roll the windows down with no radio just to listen to the exhaust.

That's one thing mini did right.....

Mark

Old 12-08-2008, 07:51 AM
flyinlow
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
From Websters dictionary, it looks like any steady tone can be defined as droning (I left out the other definitions of drone referring to bees, etc.). So the real question I think is the volume. Any exhaust, even factory, could be defined as droning because at a steady speed it will be a steady volume. The subjective part is how much volume and tone can you deal with, and this is a question that only each individual can answer. What might be annoying to someone might be music to the ears of someone else.

Main Entry: 2drone Function: verb Inflected Form(s): droned; dron·ing Date: circa 1520 intransitive verb1 a: to make a sustained deep murmuring, humming, or buzzing sound <droning bees> b: to talk in a persistently dull or monotonous tone <droning on and on about his health>2: to pass, proceed, or act in a dull, drowsy, or indifferent manner <the afternoon droned on>transitive verb1: to utter or pronounce with a drone2: to pass or spend in dull or monotonous activity or in idleness

Main Entry: 3drone Function: noun Date: circa 1520 1 : a deep sustained or monotonous sound : hum 2 : an instrument or part of an instrument (as one of the fixed-pitch pipes of a bagpipe) that sounds a continuous unvarying tone

Last edited by flyinlow; 12-08-2008 at 08:01 AM.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:15 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by flyinlow
What might be annoying to someone might be music to the ears of someone else.
No disrespect but I beg to differ. Anyone who has messed with different exhausts on vehicles can tell when a system has a drone to it.

I doubt you'll find anyone that says "man, I love the way my exhaust drones and rattles my head"

I don't need no stinkin' dictionary to tell me what a drone is....

Mark

Old 12-08-2008, 03:43 PM
Vaca450
1st Gear
What most everyone is talking about is a frequency that feels like pressure in you ears, not just noise but pressure. There is actually a specific frequency range that creates the droning sound. It is true that people have different taste in the sound of exhaust but if you have ever been in a car with a exhaust that drones you know it is not desirable to anyone. It is like a white noise that overcomes everything else and tends to give you a head ache after some time.

Old 12-08-2008, 03:45 PM
chickenplucker
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by orangecrush
No disrespect but I beg to differ. Anyone who has messed with different exhausts on vehicles can tell when a system has a drone to it.

I doubt you'll find anyone that says "man, I love the way my exhaust drones and rattles my head"

I don't need no stinkin' dictionary to tell me what a drone is....

Mark
Wouldn't that be a "loud, annoying drone" as opposed to simply a "drone".

I think the issue is some define a drone as a continuous tone whereas others require it to be loud and annoying to be considered a drone.

Perhaps if the original question had been more specific: "Does the JCW Exhaust have a loud and annoying drone.", it would have save everyone a lot of time arguing semantics.

We should file this under the "lessons learned" heading and strive to be more specific when we converse.

Old 12-08-2008, 03:52 PM
chickenplucker
2nd Gear
Why a MINI resonates

Originally Posted by Vaca450
What most everyone is talking about is a frequency that feels like pressure in you ears, not just noise but pressure. There is actually a specific frequency range that creates the droning sound. It is true that people have different taste in the sound of exhaust but if you have ever been in a car with a exhaust that drones you know it is not desirable to anyone. It is like a white noise that overcomes everything else and tends to give you a head ache after some time.
Yes, this is called a standing wave. One can experience in a tiled shower (as long as the walls are parallel) by humming a continuous tone, gradually increasing (or decreasing) the pitch until a frequency is reached that resonates based on the wavelength of the soundwave and the dimensions of the shower stall. Bass frequencies, with their long wavelengths, more readily resonate than higher frequencies. There is a mathamatical formula for determining the correct frequency for specific room dimensions to create a standing wave.

Yes, I have a background in music.

Old 12-08-2008, 04:44 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
I can't believe how technical you guys are trying to get when describing a drone... good drone, annoying drones, long drones... geesh.

Bottom line, any sound that is continuous and gives you a headache is a drone. So does anyone find their JCW exhaust annoying when driving for any length of time?

No, I didn't think so....

Seriously, the JCW exhaust is not annoying and doesn't give headaches even after 14 hours of driving.

Mark

Old 12-08-2008, 05:08 PM
chickenplucker
2nd Gear
I can't believe how technical you guys are trying to get when describing a drone... good drone, annoying drones, long drones... geesh.

Bottom line, any sound that is continuous and gives you a headache is a drone. So does anyone find their JCW exhaust annoying when driving for any length of time?

Seriously, the JCW exhaust is not annoying and doesn't give headaches even after 14 hours of driving.

Mark
Thanks Mark for reinforcing my point - a perfect example of one who defines a drone as: drone + continuous + headache

which is not technically correct since a drone, by definition, is simply a continuous tone, but Mark has added a modifier he assumes everyone else adds also. Another adds "loud", another adds "annoying", etc.

All words have a meaning. Be specific and one will avoid misunderstandings and confusion. This entire thread is a vivid illustration of what results when people assign different meanings to the same term. Trust me - this is 25 years in the engineering business talkin' technical.

Ok, I've made my point, I'll stop now

Old 12-08-2008, 05:31 PM
flyinlow
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chickenplucker
Thanks Mark for reinforcing my point - a perfect example of one who defines a drone as: drone + continuous + headache

which is not technically correct since a drone, by definition, is simply a continuous tone, but Mark has added a modifier he assumes everyone else adds also. Another adds "loud", another adds "annoying", etc.

All words have a meaning. Be specific and one will avoid misunderstandings and confusion. This entire thread is a vivid illustration of what results when people assign different meanings to the same term. Trust me - this is 25 years in the engineering business talkin' technical.

Ok, I've made my point, I'll stop now
Couldn't have said it better. I had Billy Boat Bullets exhaust on my Corvette that the majority of Corvette owners all complained about the excessive droning. I loved them on my Vette, they were loud but didn't give me a headache even on long road trips that lasted days.

As I said, its a subjective thing.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:05 PM
Red Bull
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mark
Exactly...just drove my JCW 2,800+ miles in 4 days....loved every minute.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:21 PM
ATCQL
5th Gear
I will be glad when something 71 rides in a car with the exhaust in question. Until then,the rest of will keep on droning along.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:49 PM
chickenplucker
2nd Gear
Defiant to the end, like my teenage son

You can lead a horse to water...

Old 12-08-2008, 09:40 PM
scottab36
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
IMHO!!!

Drone: to make a dull, continued, low, monotonous sound; hum; buzz

Resonance: the prolongation of sound by reflection; reverberation

Annoying: causing annoyance; irritatingly bothersome

opinion: a personal view, attitude, or appraisal

Old 12-13-2008, 09:17 AM
spfdhed
3rd Gear
Automobile Magazine just finished their long term review of their 07 S. They added the JCW pkg. Their comments were negative about the exhaust "sounds" in the 2500-3500 range after adding the package. And, these are "car guys" we would assume.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:22 AM
Red Bull
6th Gear
Originally Posted by spfdhed
Automobile Magazine just finished their long term review of their 07 S. They added the JCW pkg. Their comments were negative about the exhaust "sounds" in the 2500-3500 range after adding the package. And, these are "car guys" we would assume.
Remember there is a big diffrence between the factory JCW and stage 1 exhaust. I guess the older you get the more drone you hear

Old 12-13-2008, 04:54 PM
scottab36
5th Gear
As I continue to research this I am finding out the same. Today my better half rode in the MCS for the first time after the JCW package was added and quickly noted the EXCESSIVE DRONE from the new exhaust. This is after all of the work I did to make the new exhaust quieter. So I am now looking for a better exhaust with les drone than the JCW stage one exhaust. If anyone has a lead, please let me know.

Old 12-13-2008, 08:03 PM
spfdhed
3rd Gear
So, why put up with a factory upgrade that is not acceptable? Take it back. They are warrantied. I am having serious second thoughts about getting mine put on this Monday as scheduled.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:09 PM
MPowerF1
2nd Gear
This is not meant to be negative towards anyone in particular, but I am shocked about certain comments I am reading. I really have to wonder if some are having realistic expectations.

All I can say is that before you buy expensive performance parts like this you really should know exactly what you want and then get together with someone who has the part installed. Then determine for yourself whether you like it or not. But I can guarantee you that if you think that JCW exhaust is too loud (or "drones") then pretty much any aftermarket exhaust won't be for you.

Old 12-14-2008, 06:23 AM
Red Bull
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MPowerF1
This is not meant to be negative towards anyone in particular, but I am shocked about certain comments I am reading. I really have to wonder if some are having realistic expectations.

All I can say is that before you buy expensive performance parts like this you really should know exactly what you want and then get together with someone who has the part installed. Then determine for yourself whether you like it or not. But I can guarantee you that if you think that JCW exhaust is too loud (or "drones") then pretty much any aftermarket exhaust won't be for you.
I agree 100% well said. We are dealers for Borla and if everyone who ordered an exhaust and installed it and didn't like the sound, then returned it.....well we would be out of business and so would the manufacturer.

Sound is subjective and you should do your homework before you buy. Many manufacturers put sound clips on their site for this reason. How do you describe a sound!!!!!!

Old 12-14-2008, 06:46 AM
spfdhed
3rd Gear
I am not sure that having an expectation that an exhaust should be well-engineered and have appropriate in-cabin harmonics is unrealistic. I thought that we were talking about the factory JCW system. I would expect it to be well-sorted out before putting it out. It would seem a bit different than going down to the "mom and pop" muffler shop and having a magnaflow put on the pick up. Am I a bit naive here[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][FONT=Verdana]? After all, as noted above, even the professional auto testers thought the sound annoying. I have had a UUC on my BMW for years and it produced a very pleasant and sweet sound, but No in-cabin issues.
[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

Old 12-14-2008, 07:42 AM
Red Bull
6th Gear
Originally Posted by spfdhed
I am not sure that having an expectation that an exhaust should be well-engineered and have appropriate in-cabin harmonics is unrealistic. I thought that we were talking about the factory JCW system. I would expect it to be well-sorted out before putting it out. It would seem a bit different than going down to the "mom and pop" muffler shop and having a magnaflow put on the pick up. Am I a bit naive here[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][FONT=Verdana]? After all, as noted above, even the professional auto testers thought the sound annoying. I have had a UUC on my BMW for years and it produced a very pleasant and sweet sound, but No in-cabin issues.[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][FONT=Verdana][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
The key word is performance....not stock..quiet. What does one expect when they purchase a performance part....? Your not going to get the same quiet sound...like I stated sound is subjective and what is ok for one may not be for another. Do your homework before you buy....thats the only advise I can give. Every exhaust system is diffrent.

Old 12-14-2008, 07:51 AM
SoldierNurse
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MPowerF1
lol...

Sorry, if you ever get the exhaust you will know why I am laughing. The JCW exhaust probably adds 15-20% more sound over stock under WOT. At a cruise anything under ~60-65, the exhaust almost identical to stock (just a touch louder). Past that, you can hear it but it far from a drone.

I drive with my rear seats folded so that I can hear the exhaust more. In my opinion, the whole "drone" issue on the JCW exhaust is getting a little out of proportion. If you want a sensible, daily-driver capable exhaust, the JCW exhaust is what you are looking for.
Agreed

Old 12-14-2008, 08:04 AM
SoldierNurse
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by flyinlow
Couldn't have said it better. I had Billy Boat Bullets exhaust on my Corvette that the majority of Corvette owners all complained about the excessive droning. I loved them on my Vette, they were loud but didn't give me a headache even on long road trips that lasted days.

As I said, its a subjective thing.
I can relate, had long tube headers & Borla catback on my 2001 Corvette. Down low, as well as when I stomped on it the inside noise was horrible. However, at hwy cruise the interior cabin was very tolerable and conversation was good. I did get a lot of compliments on the loud deep roar from the backside of the tailpipes. LOL, going through parking garages was an adventure.

Please, please take my word for it. The JCW Tuning Kit [aka Stage 1] will NOT & did not result in any kind of good, bad, or indifferent interior drone on my 09 MCS. Only a slight, and I mean slight deeper noise can be heard coming from the engine bay.

I'd imagine replacing the stock exhaust system with something like Alta, Miltek, or Borla would possibly result in the drone you fear. Yet, the ONLY way to know is to hear for yourself. Otherwise, all your hearing right now is our perspective.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:23 AM
scottab36
5th Gear
Originally Posted by SoldierNurse
I can relate, had long tube headers & Borla catback on my 2001 Corvette. Down low, as well as when I stomped on it the inside noise was horrible. However, at hwy cruise the interior cabin was very tolerable and conversation was good. I did get a lot of compliments on the loud deep roar from the backside of the tailpipes. LOL, going through parking garages was an adventure.

Please, please take my word for it. The JCW Tuning Kit [aka Stage 1] will NOT & did not result in any kind of good, bad, or indifferent interior drone on my 09 MCS. Only a slight, and I mean slight deeper noise can be heard coming from the engine bay.

I'd imagine replacing the stock exhaust system with something like Alta, Miltek, or Borla would possibly result in the drone you fear. Yet, the ONLY way to know is to hear for yourself. Otherwise, all your hearing right now is our perspective.
The 2009 JCW MCS and the JCW Stage One Tuning Kit are two entirely different exhaust systems.

I have driven the 2009 JCW and would just about give my left testicular unit for that exhaust. The 2009 JCW exhaust is very quiet with no drone.

Last edited by scottab36; 12-14-2008 at 08:57 AM.

Quick Reply: JCW JCW exhaust drone?