JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 2nd Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs are discussed.

JCW JCW exhaust drone?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 08:25 AM
Red Bull
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by scottab36
The 2009 JCW MCS and the JCW Stage One Tuning Kit are to entirely different exhaust systems.

I have driven the 2009 JCW and would just about give my left testicular unit for that exhaust. The 2009 JCW exhaust is very quiet with no drone.
If I needed one I would let you know...but I am all set Cant you buy the factory JCW exhaust? I love it and agree it sounds great.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:40 AM
SoldierNurse
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 2009 JCW MCS and the JCW Stage One Tuning Kit are two entirely different exhaust systems.

I have driven the 2009 JCW and would just about give my left testicular unit for that exhaust. The 2009 JCW exhaust is very quiet with no drone.
Huh? Are you saying the 2009 JCW MCS factory exhaust is louder than the JCW TK [Stage 1] added to MCS

I would think it is the other way around, i.e. my 09 MCS w/JCW TK is quieter than a factory 09 JCW MCS.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:53 AM
Red Bull
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SoldierNurse
Huh? Are you saying the 2009 JCW MCS factory exhaust is louder than the JCW TK [Stage 1] added to MCS

I would think it is the other way around, i.e. my 09 MCS w/JCW TK is quieter than a factory 09 JCW MCS.

Thats not what he said...he said they are teo diffrent exhausts...the Factory JCW is perfect..the Stage 1 kit is louder

Old 12-14-2008, 09:11 AM
SoldierNurse
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Red Bull
Thats not what he said...he said they are teo diffrent exhausts...the Factory JCW is perfect..the Stage 1 kit is louder
First, I'm not wanting an argument. Just a friendly discussion. Plus, maybe I'm at error here. It is my understanding the JCW Tuning Kit I ordered via BMW MINI Parts Dept & installed via MINI Service Dept on my 09 MCS is also referred to as a Stage 1 upgrade. If so, the Stage 1 JCW TK on my 09 MCS is only slightly louder than stock.

In conversation yesterday with an owner of an 09 JCW [from factory] he mentioned that at sudden full throttle his interior cabin noise is noticeably louder. In hindsight, I should have asked for a ride in his MINI to gain a more personal comparison.

Old 12-14-2008, 09:16 AM
MPowerF1
2nd Gear
First, I'm not wanting an argument. Just a friendly discussion. Plus, maybe I'm at error here. It is my understanding the JCW Tuning Kit I ordered via BMW MINI Parts Dept & installed via MINI Service Dept on my 09 MCS is also referred to as a Stage 1 upgrade. If so, the Stage 1 JCW TK on my 09 MCS is only slightly louder than stock.

In conversation yesterday with an owner of an 09 JCW [from factory] he mentioned that at sudden full throttle his interior cabin noise is noticeably louder. In hindsight, I should have asked for a ride in his MINI to gain a more personal comparison.

I've heard varying opinions from a variety of people; some saying the factory JCW is louder, others than the JCW tuning kit is louder. I would wager that the differences, at least in terms of volume, are negligible.

Old 12-14-2008, 11:51 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Let me Fedex all of you one of my hairs so's U can attempt to split it

I mean, who cares? As long as it drowns out minor rattles and wind noise Im happy

Old 12-14-2008, 02:37 PM
Red Bull
6th Gear
Originally Posted by sequence

I mean, who cares? As long as it drowns out minor rattles and wind noise Im happy
WOW..you must have a lot of hair...

Old 12-14-2008, 03:57 PM
SoldierNurse
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by sequence

LOL, the OP obviously cares

Old 12-14-2008, 05:24 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man, I leave for a weekend and the arguement is still going? LOL.

It's obvious that anyone installing a JCW kit should go for a ride in one first if there is that much "worrying" about excessive noise and "droning".

The JCW exhaust in my opinion is next to perfect. It's not too loud, it doesn't drone and for headacheless driving, it works GREAT.

Again this weekend, I just came back from an 800 mile ride and have zero headaches.

Mark

Old 12-14-2008, 07:30 PM
spfdhed
3rd Gear
Good to know. Mine is being installed tomorrow

Old 12-15-2008, 05:04 AM
Red Bull
6th Gear

No argument.......just duscussion

Old 12-15-2008, 06:24 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Update: I just had my tune kit put on today. IMO the exhaust noise is more of a low-key throaty gnarl, not drony. but when you step on it or downshift U know it is there, yo

Last edited by sequence; 12-16-2008 at 04:28 PM.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:10 AM
spfdhed
3rd Gear
My experience with the JCW kit: I braved the cold weather drive to the dealer 2h 45m away (I am on summer tires, but the roads were clear with some wet) in KC. $1785 + 3 hours labor ($288) was the charge (+tax of course). It took considerably longer than 3 hours as the entire ECU had to be updated after the JCW software loaded (mine is a week 33 07). The tech's comment to the SA that I overhead: "this car is way too fast for these roads" (never mind that it was already too fast for the roads when I brought it in...). So, what did I get: new exhaust (more on that), intake with the logo, software, badges (I only had them put on the front-no need to have something else to wax around), and of course, the signed COA!

My very limited take so far (night time on not ideal roads): seems like the sport button is ~75% "on" without actually being pushed. 1st gear starts, quicker up shifts and more ready downshifts when slowing, steering maybe a tad quicker, and seemingly smoother midrange, and CONSIDERABLE cabin noise at WOT (part mostly exhaust, some intake). At light throttle or minimal load ( I have a boost gauge, so I can tell when I am pushing air) no real change from stock. The change is at load or if crusing over 72 mph (which is >2350 rpm with the autobox) then there is a definate "drone" which is measurably louder than stock. Is in annoying? I will have to spend more time to determine that answer, but no one can deny that it is there.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:59 AM
HOBBS
2nd Gear
Exhaust drone?

Originally Posted by Red Bull
I have an 09 Factory JCW and you can hear the exhaust...but NO drone at all...It is perfect.
+1 I can't imagine someone complaining about a exhaust drone on the stock JCW. We have 2 09's one pops and farts more than the other but neither have any drone to speak of, both sound sweeeeet at WOT.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:04 AM
Red Bull
6th Gear
Originally Posted by HOBBS
+1 I can't imagine someone complaining about a exhaust drone on the stock JCW. We have 2 09's one pops and farts more than the other but neither have any drone to speak of, both sound sweeeeet at WOT.
Agree...I think this is more of a stage 1 debate than a factory JCW exhaust debate. Apparently the Stage 1 exhaust is quite louder than the Factory JCW exhaust. I think the Factory JCW exhaust is perfect...no drone and perfect sound...love it.

Old 12-18-2008, 11:14 AM
papadimitriou
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by atcql
Even though i have the JCW for sale,i still concur with the above remarks,the lack of drone.You want to hear drone,Borla Sport or Milltek,will give you drone.Yes this is the exhaust that comes with the JCW Stage 1 upgrade,which was installed on my 07 S.Q

Is Milltek droning?

Old 12-18-2008, 12:58 PM
scottab36
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Went to the dealer today and had the JCW Stage One exhaust removed and had the 2009 factory JCW exhaust installed. The exhaust drone is now gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Louise runs great and quiet in the inside now. The exhaust sound great on the outside. Very different from the stock R56.

For Sale: One R56 JCW Stage One Exhaust: $300.00 (SOLD)

Last edited by scottab36; 12-19-2008 at 02:07 PM.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:15 PM
ATCQL
5th Gear
Papadimitriou,yes it is droning big time.

Old 12-18-2008, 03:17 PM
spfdhed
3rd Gear
Went to the dealer today and had the JCW Stage One exhaust removed and had the 2009 factory JCW exhaust installed. The exhaust drone is now gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
How did that happen? Tell us more...

Old 12-18-2008, 04:14 PM
sequence
6th Gear

Louise runs great and quiet in the inside now. The exhaust sound great on the outside. Very different from the stock R56.

For Sale: One R56 JCW Stage One Exhaust: $300.00
I agree with the previous p. plz elaborate. what are the differences?

Old 12-18-2008, 04:37 PM
SoldierNurse
2nd Gear
LOL, passed my hearing test

I cannot believe what I'm reading. IMHO, I have no drone whatsoever inside my JCW TK equipped 09 MCS. I just don't get it.

Old 12-18-2008, 05:45 PM
flyinlow
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wow, that seems odd that there would actually be two unique JCW exhausts. I could understand that the piping might be different, but I'm pretty sure the muffler itself and the tailpipes and tips are the same. Maybe its a difference in the piping.

With the new JCW exhaust, what all did they replace? The exhaust from the manifold back, or from the cat back or just the muffler and tailpipes themselves?

Old 12-18-2008, 06:41 PM
ATCQL
5th Gear
I believe this post is like beauty,it's in the eyes of the beholder,or ears.Q

Old 12-18-2008, 06:55 PM
MPowerF1
2nd Gear
I cannot believe what I'm reading. IMHO, I have no drone whatsoever inside my JCW TK equipped 09 MCS. I just don't get it.
You and me both.

Old 12-18-2008, 07:58 PM
scottab36
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Sorry for the delay. Back from a late dinner, blah blah blah....

The 2009 factory JCW muffler is a lot bigger than the JCW Stage One muffler by at least 1/3 or more in size. This makes the factory JCW muffler much quieter on the inside of the car and eliminated the drone.

I did a quick drive around the dealer and knew immediately that the drone was gone. A 40 mile drive back to the house confirmed my thoughts. Another 50 mile drive to dinner and back again with the lovely Mrs. sealed the deal. She was on the phone with one of her girlfriends most of the way down and never complained.

Now, the exhaust is a little bit louder than the stock R56 exhaust on the inside but that is the trade off for performance. I can deal with that but I was not willing to suffer with the continuous mind numbing drone that the JCW Stage One exhaust produced.

The difference between the downpipe and the muffler with the R56 and the 2009 R56 JCW is quite significant. The R56 has a catalytic convertor and a very short resonator in that section of pipe. The 2009 Factory JCW has just one long resonator and no second catalytic convertor. I originally that I would not get the sound reduction I was looking for with the new muffler. After thinking about it I realized that the R56 cat and resonator are probably reducing more noise than the single long resonator.

The bottom line is that I am very happy with the new set up!

Last edited by scottab36; 12-19-2008 at 02:21 AM.

Quick Reply: JCW JCW exhaust drone?