JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 2nd Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs are discussed.

JCW JCW exhaust drone?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 08:36 PM
fignewton
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do you have the part number for the JCW factory exhaust? What was the price? Does anyone know if you can order a JCW Stage 1 kit and get the new factory JCW exhaust instead of the JCW one? A guy in Australia did this earlier and I wrote him, but no answer. He said there was some modifying to do to get the new larger muffler lined up right. Was this a straight bolt on to your R56? Thanks, cause this is what I want to do as part of a Stage 1 kit.
Fig

Old 12-19-2008, 04:18 AM
scottab36
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by fignewton
do you have the part number for the JCW factory exhaust? What was the price? Does anyone know if you can order a JCW Stage 1 kit and get the new factory JCW exhaust instead of the JCW one? A guy in Australia did this earlier and I wrote him, but no answer. He said there was some modifying to do to get the new larger muffler lined up right. Was this a straight bolt on to your R56? Thanks, cause this is what I want to do as part of a Stage 1 kit.
Fig
I do not have the part number for the 2009 Factory JCW muffler. I costs around $400.00. I do not believe that you can get it with the R56 JCW Stage One Tuning Kit.

As for lining up the muffler it is a simple bolt on clamp to do the job and it lines up just like the factory exhaust should. I will try to get the actual muffler measurements today.

Old 12-19-2008, 04:42 AM
papadimitriou
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by scottab36
Sorry for the delay. Back from a late dinner, blah blah blah....

The 2009 factory JCW muffler is a lot bigger than the JCW Stage One muffler by at least 1/3 or more in size. This makes the factory JCW muffler much quieter on the inside of the car and eliminated the drone.

I did a quick drive around the dealer and knew immediately that the drone was gone. A 40 mile drive back to the house confirmed my thoughts. Another 50 mile drive to dinner and back again with the lovely Mrs. sealed the deal. She was on the phone with one of her girlfriends most of the way down and never complained.

Now, the exhaust is a little bit louder than the stock R56 exhaust on the inside but that is the trade off for performance. I can deal with that but I was not willing to suffer with the continuous mind numbing drone that the JCW Stage One exhaust produced.

The difference between the downpipe and the muffler with the R56 and the 2009 R56 JCW is quite significant. The R56 has a catalytic convertor and a very short resonator in that section of pipe. The 2009 Factory JCW has just one long resonator and no second catalytic convertor. I originally that I would not get the sound reduction I was looking for with the new muffler. After thinking about it I realized that the R56 cat and resonator are probably reducing more noise than the single long resonator.

The bottom line is that I am very happy with the new set up!
Sorry, I may be stupid, but I cannot understand the following:

1) You bought the whole JCW Excaust? Meaning, downpipe, and everything after that?
2) If you have only one catalytic converter, don't you need a remap in order not to get a cel?
3) You paid $400 for what?
The whole, the half, for labor? For what?

Old 12-19-2008, 05:10 AM
scottab36
5th Gear
Originally Posted by papadimitriou
Sorry, I may be stupid, but I cannot understand the following:

1) You bought the whole JCW Excaust? Meaning, downpipe, and everything after that?
2) If you have only one catalytic converter, don't you need a remap in order not to get a cel?
3) You paid $400 for what?
The whole, the half, for labor? For what?
The $400.00 includes the pipe and muffler section that is behind the second catalytic convertor and resonator.

This section is 41 inches long not including the muffler tips.

It does not alter any of the factory catalytic convertors or resonators.

That price does not include labor.

As a side note, there is no monitoring by the ECU after the second catalytic convertor on the R56.

Old 12-19-2008, 05:49 AM
papadimitriou
2nd Gear
"The difference between the downpipe and the muffler with the R56 and the 2009 R56 JCW is quite significant. The R56 has a catalytic convertor and a very short resonator in that section of pipe. The 2009 Factory JCW has just one long resonator and no second catalytic convertor."

So, according to that, do you have a second catalytic convertor or not?

Old 12-19-2008, 08:18 AM
chickenplucker
2nd Gear
I told you so...

Originally Posted by spfdhed
...At light throttle or minimal load ( I have a boost gauge, so I can tell when I am pushing air) no real change from stock. The change is at load or if crusing over 72 mph (which is >2350 rpm with the autobox) then there is a definate "drone" which is measurably louder than stock. Is in annoying? I will have to spend more time to determine that answer, but no one can deny that it is there.
Sounds familiar...

Old 12-19-2008, 11:51 AM
scottab36
5th Gear
Originally Posted by papadimitriou
"The difference between the downpipe and the muffler with the R56 and the 2009 R56 JCW is quite significant. The R56 has a catalytic convertor and a very short resonator in that section of pipe. The 2009 Factory JCW has just one long resonator and no second catalytic convertor."

So, according to that, do you have a second catalytic convertor or not?
Being a 2007 R56 I have two catalytic convertors.

Old 12-19-2008, 02:49 PM
spfdhed
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Update. The weather was a little kinder today, so I had some time to tool around a bit in the Mini. The JCW package seems to have changed the personality of the car a bit (or perhaps my personality has changed ). The car now seems to have a little more of ad "edge" to it; a little more bulldog, perhaps. As to the exhaust sound, I am becoming more enamored with it. It is gruffer (no surprise there) but not obtrusive or overbearing. When I drove back from the dealer the other night, I was perhaps a little critical as I was tired and trying to make a case for my fear that I spent money needlessly. Now, in the light of day, I am liking the whole package and it has rekindled my affection for this little bugger

Old 12-19-2008, 10:14 PM
MPowerF1
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by spfdhed
Update. The weather was a little kinder today, so I had some time to tool around a bit in the Mini. The JCW package seems to have changed the personality of the car a bit (or perhaps my personality has changed ). The car now seems to have a little more of ad "edge" to it; a little more bulldog, perhaps. As to the exhaust sound, I am becoming more enamored with it. It is gruffer (no surprise there) but not obtrusive or overbearing. When I drove back from the dealer the other night, I was perhaps a little critical as I was tired and trying to make a case for my fear that I spent money needlessly. Now, in the light of day, I am liking the whole package and it has rekindled my affection for this little bugger
Good to hear. It gets better with every mile you drive...

Old 12-20-2008, 07:16 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
agreed, Im digging the hell out of it

Old 01-17-2009, 06:11 PM
Augie05
4th Gear
Sounds like a great compromise. Has anyone else done this?

I would like to hear impressions from other as well.

Sorry for the delay. Back from a late dinner, blah blah blah....

The 2009 factory JCW muffler is a lot bigger than the JCW Stage One muffler by at least 1/3 or more in size. This makes the factory JCW muffler much quieter on the inside of the car and eliminated the drone.

I did a quick drive around the dealer and knew immediately that the drone was gone. A 40 mile drive back to the house confirmed my thoughts. Another 50 mile drive to dinner and back again with the lovely Mrs. sealed the deal. She was on the phone with one of her girlfriends most of the way down and never complained.

Now, the exhaust is a little bit louder than the stock R56 exhaust on the inside but that is the trade off for performance. I can deal with that but I was not willing to suffer with the continuous mind numbing drone that the JCW Stage One exhaust produced.

The difference between the downpipe and the muffler with the R56 and the 2009 R56 JCW is quite significant. The R56 has a catalytic convertor and a very short resonator in that section of pipe. The 2009 Factory JCW has just one long resonator and no second catalytic convertor. I originally that I would not get the sound reduction I was looking for with the new muffler. After thinking about it I realized that the R56 cat and resonator are probably reducing more noise than the single long resonator.

The bottom line is that I am very happy with the new set up!

Old 01-18-2009, 02:08 PM
Augie05
4th Gear
Not me, I would rather pay the going rate in US dollars !!

The 2009 JCW MCS and the JCW Stage One Tuning Kit are two entirely different exhaust systems.

I have driven the 2009 JCW and would just about give my left testicular unit for that exhaust. The 2009 JCW exhaust is very quiet with no drone.

Old 02-12-2009, 03:43 PM
scottab36
5th Gear
Okay so the MINI went on the lift again for yet another exhaust change. I managed to get my hands on the 2009 JCW front silencer section of the exhaust (#18307587361)
#18307587361.pdf

I have been on the prowl for this piece for quite some time and it just became available. I ordered it up from the MINI dealer and it was shipped in from Germany.

The first significant thing about this part of the exhaust is that it has a much larger resonator which should make the MINI quieter on the inside, and it did.

The second significance to this part of the exhaust is that the second catalytic convertor has been removed.

With the JCW Stage One Tuning Kit already installed it takes about 15 minutes to do the swap once the MINI is up on the lift. Loosen three bolts, slide the old part out and the new one in, retighten three bolts.

The end result is a quieter and better flowing factory exhaust straight from the MINI dealer.

Last edited by scottab36; 02-12-2009 at 03:55 PM.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:15 PM
Bullitt44
"Bullitt"
no complaints or droning here!

Old 02-15-2009, 10:05 PM
ImCBParker
2nd Gear
Scott, let us know how this piece goes for you. I installed the JCW exhaust I purchased off you. The drone did not seem as excessive as you described. I did notice a bit of drone in forth gear up in the 2800-3000 RPM range. Two weeks after, I installed the JCW CAI, which actually seemed to reduce it. Is it gone? Not completely, but better. I still do not think it was as bad as you were describing. Having driven other JCW vehicles, I really cannot tell the difference in sound.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:29 AM
Augie05
4th Gear
I have the JCW tuning kit exhaust installed on my car. I took my wife shopping last week and pulled into a parking spot towards the back. (I always park in the back...) After getting out of the car my wife noticed a car that just passed by us was circling back around towards the car. The driver pulled up next to us and said "man, what kind of exhaust do you have installed on that Mini, it sounds amazing, I never heard a Mini sound like that before....." Just thought I would share...

Old 02-16-2009, 05:54 AM
scottab36
5th Gear
I did a very long MINI run on Saturday and the new exhaust set up is amazing. Sounds great on the outside and quiet on the inside.

Originally Posted by ImCBParker
Scott, let us know how this piece goes for you. I installed the JCW exhaust I purchased off you. The drone did not seem as excessive as you described. I did notice a bit of drone in forth gear up in the 2800-3000 RPM range. Two weeks after, I installed the JCW CAI, which actually seemed to reduce it. Is it gone? Not completely, but better. I still do not think it was as bad as you were describing. Having driven other JCW vehicles, I really cannot tell the difference in sound.

Old 10-06-2009, 05:32 PM
a2coopers
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
exhaust drone - stock OEM cooper S

I have a question about drone, anyone experience something like this before?

At cruising speeds, 2100 RPM roughly, or 100 km/hr in 6th gear (automatic S), I find my exhaust "drones" my experience is vibrations in my seat and back of seat, feels uncomfortable and annoying. If I go sport mode or manual and cruise at 100 km /hr in 5th gear, my rpms are around 2800 and engine is smooth as glass.

I expected that an automatic would be smooth no matter what the RPM range. I had the right part of the exhaust replaced under warranty (baffle was loose inside) I'm considering replacing the left side, but I would have to pay for this since I'm out of warranty.

I've opted to drive the automatic with paddle shifting so I can choose where to cruise at what RPM to avoid the drone. I find that normal drive mode shifts too early and keeps the RPM's at just over 2K along with the infamous drone.

Last edited by a2coopers; 10-06-2009 at 05:38 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:51 PM
kmashint
1st Gear
i still have the same drone issue around 3000 rpm with JCW Tuning on 2007 MCS

I've been trying a few options to fix my drone that came with the JCW Tuning on my 2007 MCS.

I tried just updating the front muffler/silencer to the 2009 JCW variety, removing the second cat, but that didn't help so as with scottab36 my last option is to replace the JCW Tuning for MCS Exhaust with the 2009 Factory JCW exhaust (or a 3rd party but it makes more sense to stay with JCW) which has a different part number.

Maybe there are certain combinations of MCS and JCW Tuning Exhaust that have this issue and Scott and I got burned by it.

Thanks Scott for your postings, it gives me hope, and my setup will end up similar to yours: JCW Tuning, Alta intercooler and boost tubes, 19" swaybar, looking at the 2009 Factory JCW Exhaust and front strut brace next. And, of course, waiting for the remote RMW tuning box to further blur my Mellow Yellow going by.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:07 AM
kmashint
1st Gear
Just in case anyone else has this issue, I'm reporting back that I solved my exhaust drone issue by upgrading from the JCW Tuning Exhaust to the 2009 Factory JCW Exhaust -- they are actually different part numbers at realoem.com.

There was someone else on northamericanmotoring.com in the US who seemed to have the same drone, a nasty resonance in the exhaust around 3000 rpm, annoyingly at typical cruising speed on the highway. He mentioned that his upgrade to the Factory JCW Exhaust eliminated his drone, and I found that as well.

So, if you get the JCW Tuning and seem to suffer from the exhaust drone around 3000 rpm -- you'll know it when you hear it -- then you can trade up to the Factory JCW exhaust and that's confirmed to solve it at least 2 cases.

Here's the link to the Factory JCW Exhaust:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...03&hg=18&fg=20

Old 03-07-2010, 08:23 AM
JamesHunt
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you should hear the factory jcw exhaust with a catless downpipe

Old 03-10-2010, 03:00 PM
Rixter
5th Gear
Did you install the JCW front muffler too (and remove the second Cat)?

Old 03-10-2010, 03:03 PM
JamesHunt
Banned
jcw do not come with a second cat .the only thing done is a catless downpipe.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:39 PM
krim
5th Gear
Originally Posted by kmashint

<snip>

Here's the link to the Factory JCW Exhaust:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...03&hg=18&fg=20
Hey guys,
can someone tell me which of the two Clamp Bush(ing?) is the correct one to get? first or second one listed.

02 CLAMPING BUSH D=55MM 1

18307525639 $28.77
02 CLAMPING BUSH D=55MM 1

18307560778$34.61

or does it not matter. Anyone know what the difference between the two is?

Thanks!

Old 03-10-2010, 08:49 PM
thevelourfog
5th Gear
I'd assume it wouldn't matter since the piping is the same as the stock S. When I got mine installed they just cut the old one off and welded the new one on, so I didn't use the clamp.

Quick Reply: JCW JCW exhaust drone?