JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 2nd Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs are discussed.

JCW JCW exhaust drone?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 09:46 PM
krim
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i thought about having it welded too, but i think i may get the front section at some point down the line. how are you liking the new rear section so far?

Old 03-11-2010, 06:37 AM
thevelourfog
5th Gear
The factory back section looks good, but I kind of wish the tips stuck out more than they do. The top of the tips are about flush with the bumper. I don't think they can stick out any more since they aligned it with the exhaust hangers.

Otherwise it's nice so far. It's pretty smelly since it's still new, but that's going away. The sound is a little deeper, no burbles that I can hear in the car. No drone at all. Not much louder. Some raspiness once you get above 2.5k rpms. I don't think mufflers need break-in time, so it is what it is I suppose.

All and all it's a good subtle upgrade, but I'm expecting the biggest change when I get my car tuned by RMW! I don't see myself getting the front muffler since its already so quiet and I don't think I'll be needing the larger resonator. If anything I'll get a downpipe later and perhaps have the front cat removed.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:25 AM
thevelourfog
5th Gear
Drove to work today with sport mode and more revs for a bit, sounds much nicer in the higher rpm range than before.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:15 PM
Big Jim Swade
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Does anyone know if the JCW Tuning Kit's exhaust for a Clubman S is quieter than the one on an R56?

Old 03-11-2010, 08:39 PM
krim
5th Gear
^
haven't heard one yet. :(

Originally Posted by thevelourfog
The factory back section looks good, but I kind of wish the tips stuck out more than they do. The top of the tips are about flush with the bumper. I don't think they can stick out any more since they aligned it with the exhaust hangers.

Otherwise it's nice so far. It's pretty smelly since it's still new, but that's going away. The sound is a little deeper, no burbles that I can hear in the car. No drone at all. Not much louder. Some raspiness once you get above 2.5k rpms. I don't think mufflers need break-in time, so it is what it is I suppose.

All and all it's a good subtle upgrade, but I'm expecting the biggest change when I get my car tuned by RMW! I don't see myself getting the front muffler since its already so quiet and I don't think I'll be needing the larger resonator. If anything I'll get a downpipe later and perhaps have the front cat removed.

I think it should get a little louder with time, my stock one is certainly louder and deeper than what i remember at pick up. I'm thinking of getting the front section just to rid the 2nd cat. No welds in case I need to put it back for the sniffer in a few years. But i hear they're changing things and going straight to the ODBC instead of the roller and tailpipe stick.

I've priced around and a good exhaust from the aftermarket would cost a little less as getting the front and back sections. My friend has a custom magnaflow w/ a 5" resonator and it drones 2900-3200, so decided against going custom. The RMW will be after i get back from vacation.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:29 PM
thevelourfog
5th Gear
Originally Posted by krim
I think it should get a little louder with time, my stock one is certainly louder and deeper than what i remember at pick up. I'm thinking of getting the front section just to rid the 2nd cat. No welds in case I need to put it back for the sniffer in a few years. But i hear they're changing things and going straight to the ODBC instead of the roller and tailpipe stick.

I've priced around and a good exhaust from the aftermarket would cost a little less as getting the front and back sections. My friend has a custom magnaflow w/ a 5" resonator and it drones 2900-3200, so decided against going custom. The RMW will be after i get back from vacation.
Isn't it 6 years after you buy a new car that you have to smog it? Could always just get the cat cut off and weld in a section of pipe and cut that off if you fail smog. I don't think the 2nd cat would cause you to fail though, since the JCW doesn't have it anyways. Wonder how much power if any could be gained from removing the front cat?

I'm still waiting for that flash loaded from RMW since I have an oil change coming up and my annual service a few months later. Dunno how strict Assael is with tunes.