JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 2nd Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs are discussed.

JCW Problems / Issues with JCW's?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 04:33 AM
21JCW
2nd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Problems / Issues with JCW's?

Gentlemen, need your help ... I did a search and was unable to find an answer to my question. I was speaking to a gent the other day and I told him I ordered JCW. He stated that this might have been a mistake as BMW has had many problems with these cars. He was not specific in nature. I have not read anything with regard to reliability and/or mechanical issues ...

Could anyone add to this ... thanks ahead of time ...

Old 05-03-2011, 08:39 AM
mtbscott
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 05-03-2011, 08:56 AM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
did he use jedi mind tricks? all minis have their own group of problems. Enjoy what you have

Old 05-03-2011, 12:33 PM
timfitz63
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
After participating in this forum for about a year and a half now, I've not encountered any reports of excessive problems specific to the JCW vehicles. Like all the turbocharged MINI's (Cooper S, factory JCW), it's susceptible to high-pressure fuel pump (HPFP) failures, the timing chain/tensioner failure issues, and carbon build-up (to name what seem to be the most prominent problems). I don't know that any of these failures are particularly common as a percentage of the number of vehicles on the road, though.

Keeping a very close eye on the oil level (bearing in mind that the turbocharged MINI's tend to consume oil) should decrease your chances of experiencing a timing chain/tensioner failure; changing the oil at at a third to half of the recommended interval (5,000-7,500 versus 15,000 miles) probably won't hurt either. The extra oil changes will be on your dime (rather than part of MINI/BMW's so-called Free Maintenance Program), but the group wisdom is that 15,000 miles is just far too long, even with synthetic oil.

It's a bit of a craps shoot with the HPFP; you'll be under warranty for at least four years in your case, so hopefully MINI/BMW will work out a final solution by then.

And as far as carbon build-up goes, the group wisdom is that it's inherent to any direct-injection engine; so you'll just need to be mindful of using the recommended gasoline (mainly to avoid charges of "bad gas" from MINI should yours develop an issue) and that it may require some pricey cleaning procedures from time to time. Some on the forum recommend a product called "Sea Foam," which I have yet to try, to combat carbon build-up.

On the whole, though, I think your acquaintance was speaking somewhat allegorically rather than from the authority of experience...

Old 05-03-2011, 01:37 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I change my oil at 5000 mile intervals. I have rarely checked the oil level. And when I have, it has always been at the right level.

I have stated this many, many times. I have one of the very first JCWs to hit the states. Mine is from July of 2008. I drive it hard and I have many mods. I have not had any engine, transmission or clutch issues to date. I only have 25,000 miles on it.

I also purchased this car and take very good car of it. I lease other cars and lets just say that I do the minimum that is necessary to maintain them. That may have something to do with these issues others are having.

Old 05-03-2011, 02:01 PM
timfitz63
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by onefish2
I change my oil at 5000 mile intervals. I have rarely checked the oil level. And when I have, it has always been at the right level.

I have stated this many, many times. I have one of the very first JCWs to hit the states. Mine is from July of 2008. I drive it hard and I have many mods. I have not had any engine, transmission or clutch issues to date. I only have 25,000 miles on it.

I also purchased this car and take very good car of it. I lease other cars and lets just say that I do the minimum that is necessary to maintain them. That may have something to do with these issues others are having.
If the truth be known, my experience has been very similar to yours, "onefish2:" no problems to date. Mine doesn't seem to burn (or leak) a drop of oil, although it has about half as many miles on it as as yours (which is encouraging from my standpoint). Mine is also an early factory JCW (June 2008 build date, as I recall), but bone stock. I've engaged in what most would term as "spirited" driving from time to time, but nothing excessive or abusive. And like you, I purchased mine, and tend to dote on it.

But I figured it was best to alert the OP to potential areas of concern rather than making a blanket statement that "I haven't seen a bit of trouble, so you won't either..."

Old 05-04-2011, 04:31 AM
21JCW
2nd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
^^^ Guys! Wow! thanks for that insight ... Coming from an STI I am fully aware of how turbo cars are different form NA cars ... I agree as I believe 15k between oil changes is a bit long for a turbo vs NA. I can stretch my STI to about 7500 - 10k. I do the oil analysis as well. All have been good. I do use a different type of synthetic.

I have been looking at ALTA stage pack 4 ... any of you folks done this or have any experience ... Thanks ahead of time ...

Old 05-04-2011, 07:00 PM
spinned
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's just BS. I love my JCW.