JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 2nd Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs are discussed.

JCW The Making of MAKO

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 10:14 PM
Phx JCW
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trust me I wanted to do that, and understand why some would. My goal was to get what I wanted done to the car ASAP so I could enjoy the car the way i envisioned it. And the reason for getting her to the detailer immediatly was I didn't want to risk any damage from debris (I didn't want to clear bra over a chip or other imperfection). I know how I am and that would have infuriated me just so i could have fun for an hour or two.
I put a lot of thought into what Im having done and always pictured the finished product in my head, so to me when I got the car delivered it really wasn't a finished product. As hard as it was and is, it will be worth it to me to have the car just the way I envisioned. Hope my vision turns out well we will see tomorrow.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:16 PM
Phx JCW
4th Gear
Thanks Clint....and thanks for getting me my part so quickly. I will be back

Originally Posted by Mini'mon
Good things come to those who wait . . . but the anticipation kills some in the process. Good luck and enjoy once it's finally in your hands!
-Clint

Old 12-16-2011, 10:25 PM
Phx JCW
4th Gear
I finally picked up my car late today and it is about 99.3% done. Everything is except the painted wheel center caps. The shop couldn't get the right red on the first shot, so they are redoing them and they should be done on Monday. Not a big deal but it really does leave the car unfinished.
Was able to drive the car about 35 miles tonight, I will have to say I really like the interior at night. The cars handling is just insane, I can't wait to get to a place where I can push her a little more.
I will post some pics of the front and back to show off the stripes and tent tomorrow. I don't want to show the sides of the car without the center caps, it just looks very odd to me without them.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:32 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
cant wait for the pics

Old 12-16-2011, 10:41 PM
chaswyck
5th Gear
You may be the most patient guy on the planet, but we AREN'T! Post the dam pics! I really admire how you had such a detailed vision for your care and had the commitment (and the cash) to stick to it. I kinda figured out mine as I went, but I like the way it turned out. I couldn't do a lot of the performance mods that you did because mine is a lease and I have to be able to return it to stock, sommine are mostly cosmetic. I'm sure yours feels and handles a lot better than mine, but I'm not at all disappointed in the ride and power of my S. I'm still getting used to the FWD, though. I only ever had one FWD car in my life and that was about 20 years ago. Can't wait to see the finished product. When you buy me that drink you owe me fore the rebate, you'll have to take me for a spin!

Old 12-16-2011, 11:00 PM
Phx JCW
4th Gear
Lol..I deserve some crap for not posting some pics. I wanted too, but I had a late meeting.
Just let me know when your in town and your more then welcome to that drink and you can take her for a spin yourself. It would be interesting to get your take on how the two cars differ.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:15 AM
Phx JCW
4th Gear
So she is almost done for the year....I wanted to get some quick shots with the stripes but as I mentioned before the wheel caps aren't done so I didn't take any from the side.
I liked the stripes turned out, they used a satin matte black 3M vinyl. I like that it is very subtle on the Eclipse Grey and such a contrast on the Chili Red. For me it just gives it a little more attitude.

I think my neighbors now know that I have problems, as they wonder why I am on a ladder taking pictures of my car

I also had to throw in a picture of the engine bay as I owed that to a few that ask

Old 12-17-2011, 08:18 AM
onefish2
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking good. Now go drive the car and enjoy it already.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:28 AM
Phx JCW
4th Gear
I hear you....Im out of here.
Originally Posted by onefish2
Looking good. Now go drive the car and enjoy it already.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:54 AM
gds194
4th Gear
Cory, looking real sweet! Amazed you already have your plates... Now you need some Samco red silicone turbo hoses. Without the air box, it really cleans up under the hood. Nothing better then a ladder for getting some good shots, I did the same yesterday, face it, neighbors just DON'T understand!

Old 12-17-2011, 01:35 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Phx JCW
Thank you walk0080...you have a nice car as well

I believe you are right about the wheels. I am going to live with them for awhile, but I think I made the right choice with the MG OZ's.

Out of the gate I do like the cloth seats as I said, the real test will come in the summer. I just think the cloth won't hold the heat like the leatherette...but we will see.
I’m with your wife... (figuratively speaking...lol) I think the black looks much tougher.

I’ve gone through 4-5 different wheels before I came across the ones that I really liked. I think you’re on the money right out of the gate.

Looks great!

Mark

Old 12-17-2011, 02:05 PM
zipitydooda
2nd Gear
Looks great. I have a few questions for you on the stripes and 3M install.

Where did you get the 3M from and was it a kit or did the installer cut it to fit the car?

What did they install first, the film or the strips?

And the stance looks awesome. They are the same size/brand wheels/tires I am planning on adding to my JCW Clubbie. So I guess I will add the spacers to my order and maybe some springs to lower the car. I am on the fence about what to do with the suspension, order the $500 sport suspension or see what can be done in the aftermarket for that price range. Plus I drive about 25,000 miles per year, so I don't want a ride that will jar my teeth loose, but one that's still fun to drive and stand up on the track. I am concerned with changing tire sizes and screwing with the suspension, that something is bound to not fit. You know, too many mods make for a lot of issues.

And your color combo is making me rethink my black/red color combo. Post up some pictures of the interior too!

Old 12-17-2011, 03:00 PM
Phx JCW
4th Gear
Thanks Greg. I got a "special" plate
I actually thought about getting the DoS CAI powder coated red...maybe someday and with some Samco hoses would look pretty cool. I don't have any neighbors that even begin to understand.

Originally Posted by gds194
Cory, looking real sweet! Amazed you already have your plates... Now you need some Samco red silicone turbo hoses. Without the air box, it really cleans up under the hood. Nothing better then a ladder for getting some good shots, I did the same yesterday, face it, neighbors just DON'T understand!

Old 12-17-2011, 03:21 PM
Phx JCW
4th Gear
Thanks for the compliment
Maybe I will just get 2 black wheels and just put them on one side
We will see, I am going to photoshop once the wheels are done and see what they look like black. I think either way it will look good...maybe I will ask my wife for some new black wheels since it was her idea

Originally Posted by orangecrush
I’m with your wife... (figuratively speaking...lol) I think the black looks much tougher.

I’ve gone through 4-5 different wheels before I came across the ones that I really liked. I think you’re on the money right out of the gate.

Looks great!

Mark

Old 12-17-2011, 03:44 PM
Phx JCW
4th Gear
I used the 3M material that was supplied by the installer.
I originally was going to go with 4-4 ½" wide stripes but after laying it out on the car it just looked to thin to me, so I ended using 5½". The installer had to custom cut the pieces.
The installers put the full clear bra on and then the stripes. My thought on this was, I wanted to be able to remove the stripes if I ever wanted too and I didn't want their to be a ridge in the clear bra if it was put over the stripe.
The KW coilovers are awesome! They are firm, but not jarring by any means. They make you feel like you are glued to the road, I am glad I got them, granted I don't drive 25k miles a year. As far as the spacers are concerned i really don't need them to clear the coilovers as i was originally told. But I will probably keep them on because I like the wider stance it gives.
I think I almost like the interior better than the outside of the car, and i really like the outside. The red really pops off the all black interior and the red stitching. I am very glad I went with the black carbon colorline option. It just makes me smile every time I get in the car. Here are a few pics of the inside.

Originally Posted by zipitydooda
Looks great. I have a few questions for you on the stripes and 3M install.

Where did you get the 3M from and was it a kit or did the installer cut it to fit the car?

What did they install first, the film or the strips?

And the stance looks awesome. They are the same size/brand wheels/tires I am planning on adding to my JCW Clubbie. So I guess I will add the spacers to my order and maybe some springs to lower the car. I am on the fence about what to do with the suspension, order the $500 sport suspension or see what can be done in the aftermarket for that price range. Plus I drive about 25,000 miles per year, so I don't want a ride that will jar my teeth loose, but one that's still fun to drive and stand up on the track. I am concerned with changing tire sizes and screwing with the suspension, that something is bound to not fit. You know, too many mods make for a lot of issues.

And your color combo is making me rethink my black/red color combo. Post up some pictures of the interior too!

Old 12-17-2011, 03:51 PM
R56JCW
2nd Gear
Phx JCW--looks awesome. Totally feel you in terms of not posting side pics till the wheel caps are perfect. That said, can't wait to see them!

Old 12-17-2011, 06:07 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
looks beast man!!! i love the black ceiling

Old 12-17-2011, 06:55 PM
walk0080
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Phx JCW

Nicely done with the matt black stripes. Last time I saw this setup on a black R53 and it looked great.

That front pic really shows how low the inner/lower air dam is to the ground... even with stock suspension it is no wonder I keep scraping it.

Old 12-17-2011, 09:38 PM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Nice! Kudos on your setup and aesthetic mod choices.

Keep us updated after you've had a chance to drive it for a while.

-Clint

Old 12-17-2011, 10:42 PM
Phx JCW
4th Gear
Thank you guys for all the positive comments....I was able to put almost 150 miles on her today....and I must say I am very happy with how solid the car feels, and the overall behavior of the car.
I look forward to meeting some of you guys in the weeks to come. In the mean time, I'm going to put some miles on her so I can get the full experience .

Old 12-18-2011, 06:14 AM
anitan1
3rd Gear
That car looks awesome!

Old 12-19-2011, 04:51 PM
MINIGEZR
3rd Gear
I said it before and I'll say it again..your car is awesome. I see you haven't added the JCW steering wheel? Have you given it any thought. Its a great upgrade over the stock one.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:18 PM
Phx JCW
4th Gear
Thanks MINIGRZR and anitan1

MINIGRZR , I was very close to buying the JCW steering wheel about a month ago, but I didn't because I wanted to keep the red stitching (it's one of the things I like most In the interior). So I am going to get a local person here to cover the stock wheel in alcantara and keep the red stitching. Will probably go about talking to a few people after the 1st of the year.

Quick update:
I was supposed to get my center caps back today, and well I did get them back but not the way I wanted them ...not really mad just frustrated. Instead of painting just the "OZ Racing" letters red they painted the whole caps red So I am having a print shop print me out some black OZ logos and see how that looks against the red caps. In the mean time I am ordering new oz center caps just in case. Oh well it can't always go smoothly

Old 12-20-2011, 08:22 AM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Glad you're finally out driving it!!

We will have to meet up soon, before the drive on the 7th.

Who did the detail? The GP needs a good one

Old 12-20-2011, 01:02 PM
BrewSwapGuy
Formerly PassatDoTd
Saw it in person today and it looks damn good. The wheels looked much better in person than in the pics to me. I'd still rock the black but I really dig the OZs.

See you guys on the 7th. Have a happy holiday!

Quick Reply: JCW The Making of MAKO