JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 2nd Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs are discussed.

JCW The Making of MAKO

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 08:28 AM
ThePenl
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigprfed22
Havent needed to, running as strong as a bull, im just referring to the factory spec of the ring gap is pretty large in comparison to other engines i have built(havent built an n14 but my best buddy is a mini tech I def got my sneak peek for later use). Maybe its to keep the ends from slapping but IMO its one of the reasons for so much blowby.
Have you noticed the piston slapping from a cold start induced from aftermarket forged pistons?
I think Mini did too...

Old 01-06-2012, 08:35 AM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I was referring to the ring ends slapping(butting), I think I should have said "Butting". No piston slap here, Hell i dont even think someone makes a pre-spec'd set of pistons yet for the n14 as far as i know they are all custom.

Originally Posted by ThePenl
Have you noticed the piston slapping from a cold start induced from aftermarket forged pistons?
I think Mini did too...

Old 01-06-2012, 08:46 AM
ThePenl
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigprfed22
I was referring to the ring ends slapping(butting), I think I should have said "Butting". No piston slap here, Hell i dont even think someone makes a pre-spec'd set of pistons yet for the n14 as far as i know they are all custom.
I wasn't referring to the Mini when I mentioned piston slapping. I was referring to other engines with aftermarket forged pistons and tight gaps.
I think I was misunderstood. There is no such magic as tight gaps and no piston slap...
As far as the aftermarket pistons for the N14, they should come with the appropriate connecting rods, so you might say that there are no pre-spec'd (direct bolt-on) set of pistons yet. And I don't think there will ever be...

JE, CP, CARILO, MAHLE are producing aftermarket internal components for the N14.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:55 PM
Phx JCW
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes you read it correctly I changed the perfectly good tranny fluid before it needed too just like the other dozen plus things I have done to this car in the last 1k miles. The tranny fluid to me was worth it. I can tell the differnce for sure in the smoothness of the shifts and I don't buy into any "lifetime" fluid on a car. I don't have any regret spending the money, although it was a bit pricey. Oh well, I want to take good care of my car, and hope she will reciprocate.

Originally Posted by quality_sound
You replaced the tranny fluid at 1000 miles? I understand doing the oil that early, but the tranny fluid???

Old 01-07-2012, 02:53 AM
quality_sound
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Phx JCW
Yes you read it correctly I changed the perfectly good tranny fluid before it needed too just like the other dozen plus things I have done to this car in the last 1k miles. The tranny fluid to me was worth it. I can tell the differnce for sure in the smoothness of the shifts and I don't buy into any "lifetime" fluid on a car. I don't have any regret spending the money, although it was a bit pricey. Oh well, I want to take good care of my car, and hope she will reciprocate.
I'm with you on it not really being a lifetime fluid and that it NEEDS to be changed, I was just thinking it was about 9000 miles too early. Then again, if it made noticeable changes to the smoothness of the shifts it could be worth the change. I haven't had any issues with mine but it can always be better.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:20 PM
Phx JCW
4th Gear
I did notice a difference for sure, in a good way, its hard to explain but it almost feels as though there is a cushion effect not so "notchy". I was having issues getting into 6th sometimes and the fluid change helped.
Let me know what you think if you decide to go with Motul 300LS.

Originally Posted by quality_sound
I'm with you on it not really being a lifetime fluid and that it NEEDS to be changed, I was just thinking it was about 9000 miles too early. Then again, if it made noticeable changes to the smoothness of the shifts it could be worth the change. I haven't had any issues with mine but it can always be better.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:47 PM
Phx JCW
4th Gear
It's taken a few more months then I would have liked, but Im getting ready to acquire the following parts for the next phase of upgrading:

1) Akrapovic Evo Exhaust (CF Tips)
2) Alta Hot Side Boost Tube*
3) Alta Accessport ECU Tuner*
4) Alta Front Mount IC*
5) Alta Inlet hard pipe
6) AR Catless downpipe w/ ceramic coating

I hope to get all the part delivered in the next 30-45 days and installed all at once.

Can't really think of anything else that needs or should be upgraded, but if you have any suggestions I'm all ears.

FYI: she has been running great and I just hit 10k miles :-)

Old 09-09-2012, 10:56 AM
k_h_d
6th Gear
Very nice car... What are you doing with your OEM black challenge spokes? I am looking for a second set so I can run one set for the street and the other set for autocross.

Old 09-09-2012, 12:12 PM
Phx JCW
4th Gear
Originally Posted by k_h_d
Very nice car... What are you doing with your OEM black challenge spokes? I am looking for a second set so I can run one set for the street and the other set for autocross.
The black challenge wheels have been gone for a long time. Depending on how the tires handle the increased power, it maybe a good reason to go back to a black wheel. We will see.

Old 11-02-2012, 03:53 AM
BartJCW
Neutral
Again, Jerry (@ EuroTechs) was kind enough to see what the wheel was going to look like on the car with the 5mm spacer installed....(we only put one wheel on)

I was surprised how much tire there is, I thought (and was told) that I would need the 5mm spacer to clear the Coilovers but I don't think that is the case. I am going to wait until all four corners are on and aligned to see if I really need them or not. I am a little concerned about throwing things on the side of the car....maybe mud flaps??

What offset (ET) do you have on your Ultraleggera's Phx?

There are 3 diferent sizes of the Ultraleggera's that fits MCS or JCW. 30, 37, 44.
I have choosen for size 37 regarding the JCW brakes.

Right now i'm running 215/45/17 Bridgestones. The wheels protrude out a bit.
I often get dirt on the sides during rainy weather, and i don't know
what the winter will bring. However there are no mud flaps available for the JCW bodykit.
Do you have problems with dirt on the sides of your Mini....?

Old 11-02-2012, 07:09 AM
solskjaer1999
4th Gear
Loving the MAKO PhxJCW! Just my opinion, but I like the graphite wheels more than the black wheels. The car is very well tied together with your color scheme. Are you going to get red brake ducts to match the rest of the red? I can't wait to see the performance mods installed. One day my JCW will be as cool as yours.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:06 PM
Phx JCW
4th Gear
Yes, 37mm offset on mine as well. I do get water/dirt thrown up on the side of the car, but I really don't have to deal with it much since we don't get much rain/snow :-)...I do have a few rock chips on the side skirts which I believe are caused by the wider tire stance....but I also have the 5mm spacer.

Originally Posted by BartJCW
What offset (ET) do you have on your Ultraleggera's Phx?

There are 3 diferent sizes of the Ultraleggera's that fits MCS or JCW. 30, 37, 44.
I have choosen for size 37 regarding the JCW brakes.

Right now i'm running 215/45/17 Bridgestones. The wheels protrude out a bit.
I often get dirt on the sides during rainy weather, and i don't know
what the winter will bring. However there are no mud flaps available for the JCW bodykit.
Do you have problems with dirt on the sides of your Mini....?

Old 11-02-2012, 01:23 PM
Phx JCW
4th Gear
Thanks for the compliments..funny you mention the wheels..I have been kicking the idea around maybe going to a black set ...don't know if I would do the red brake ducts...I may look at doing some exterior stuff after the performance mods are installed. And speaking of those, I am chomping at the bit right now. I have the downpipe, Akra exhaust, in/outlets, Alta access port sitting at the garage waiting (for the last 3 weeks) for the FMIC to show up.

I wanted to get everything installed at once but that may not happen or I am going to have to go to a different FMIC. Sorry for the vent, I'm a little frustrated with the delay.
I am loving the car though

Originally Posted by solskjaer1999
Loving the MAKO PhxJCW! Just my opinion, but I like the graphite wheels more than the black wheels. The car is very well tied together with your color scheme. Are you going to get red brake ducts to match the rest of the red? I can't wait to see the performance mods installed. One day my JCW will be as cool as yours.

Old 11-02-2012, 04:25 PM
BartJCW
Neutral
I had to stop by the shop today to drop a few more things for Jerry to install. He was kind enough to let me play around and take some shots of the progress so far.

He took out the old (6 miles) stock suspension off and put on some nice new KW V1 Coilovers and a Mini Madness 22mm Swaybar (middle setting)

Driver Side

Passenger Side (sorry for the poor shot)

Driver Rear

Passenger Rear

Rear View of the Coilovers and 22mm Sway Bar
How much did you lower your Mini Phx.?
I will be lowering mine next week. but not with coilovers, just springs also KW.
There are many traffic thresholds where i live so i would say 30 mm is the maximum.

Will take some photos as soon as the job is done.....

Old 11-02-2012, 09:08 PM
Phx JCW
4th Gear
I am at 24 7/8" from ground to the fender, which is about 1 inch lower than stock.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:22 AM
BartJCW
Neutral
This is what ya get with customized wheels...

Lowered with 30 mm KW springs.....