JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 2nd Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs are discussed.

JCW The Making of MAKO

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 05:16 PM
Phx JCW
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Making of MAKO

Sorry it's the best title I could come up with. I figured I would try and keep everything in one thread.
So I meet the transport driver and the shop were she was dropped off around noon today. I have to give some big accolades to Jerry @ EuroTechs in Tempe,AZ. He has had to deal with my me for the last several weeks and allowed me to stock pile my parts that arrived before MAKO. Also, he opened up his shop for me on Sunday so the car could be delivered directly to his shop. Thank you Jerry.

So here she is fresh of the transport...its funny, the protective film was obviously removed and then put back on I removed it since I could see that their was moisture underneath it. Oh well, it was a good excuse for me to see the brilliant contrasting color of the Eclipse Grey and Chili Red.

Here she is showing off her red head ...my daughter couldn't wait to get in the back seat with her mom. I think she was almost as existed as I was. (My wife kept telling me to slow down on the way to the shop)

As i was saying

Interior shot...I was a tad concerned about the red interior being a bit much but it actually looks really really good (imo), and i am glad i did the optional carbon black colorline. The strictly black and red interior really looks good, especially with the red stitching on the steering wheel and seats Im very happy with the way it turned out.

Was trying to see what the matte graphite OZ was going to look like...my wife thinks I may have to stick with a black wheel. She said it makes it look a little meaner...Oh boy thats all I need is a little bird in my ear. I think the OZ's will look good in the end...we will see

I think my daughter thinks she got an upgrade from her pink Mini ...

Sorry for the so so pics...didn't want to take up a lot of time on a sunday taking pics.

Old 12-11-2011, 05:22 PM
2009R56JCW
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Make sure to get the engine temp up to at least 185f before boosting or very bad things will happen.

Old 12-11-2011, 05:37 PM
Phx JCW
4th Gear
I had a 2001 S4 back in the day and it was the same way, so I learned to be patient. But thanks for the advise.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:06 PM
walk0080
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats

We get the carbon black colour line by default in Canada and I agree, it looks great with the Chili Red interior along with the red stitching.

I prefer dark grey with the Eclipse Grey over black wheels but your choice of course.

I am curious what you think of the cloth seats after a few months. We almost went for them but stuck with leatherette.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:30 PM
Phx JCW
4th Gear
Thank you walk0080...you have a nice car as well

I believe you are right about the wheels. I am going to live with them for awhile, but I think I made the right choice with the MG OZ's.

Out of the gate I do like the cloth seats as I said, the real test will come in the summer. I just think the cloth won't hold the heat like the leatherette...but we will see.
Originally Posted by walk0080
Congrats

We get the carbon black colour line by default in Canada and I agree, it looks great with the Chili Red interior along with the red stitching.

I prefer dark grey with the Eclipse Grey over black wheels but your choice of course.

I am curious what you think of the cloth seats after a few months. We almost went for them but stuck with leatherette.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:42 AM
BrewSwapGuy
Formerly PassatDoTd
Possibly to my detriment, :-), but I think the black wheels do make it look meaner. The OZs look good mind you, just not as aggressive (imo). I do love the black/red theme with the roof and interior. Regardless of the wheels it's going to be one mean ride when you're done putting on all those mods (as if it wouldn't be already as a JCW, lol). I will be sure not to pull up next to you as I don't want to be smoked. :-)

Old 12-12-2011, 07:34 AM
Phx JCW
4th Gear
Thanks for your candidness on the wheels....you don't have to worry "your" wheels will be with you shortly.
Thanks for the compliments as well...I have to say I really like your car a ton. I had to talk myself out of getting black again (still the best color when clean,imo).
I think it would look pretty awesome (and as menacing as two mini's can be) to see the two of our cars side by side rolling down the street I hope to see your car sooner then later.
You plan on going to any track events? or have you already?

Originally Posted by BrewSwapGuy
Possibly to my detriment, :-), but I think the black wheels do make it look meaner. The OZs look good mind you, just not as aggressive (imo). I do love the black/red theme with the roof and interior. Regardless of the wheels it's going to be one mean ride when you're done putting on all those mods (as if it wouldn't be already as a JCW, lol). I will be sure not to pull up next to you as I don't want to be smoked. :-)

Old 12-12-2011, 09:03 AM
BrewSwapGuy
Formerly PassatDoTd
Doubtful I'll track it within the first year but I have to admit I've always wanted to try autocross and a straight up drag race on a track. I think for autocross I'd already be in the modded group due to the CAI.

Have you tracked any previous MINIs?

Side by side pics of our rides at a choice location here in the Valley would be a good idea.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:14 AM
Phx JCW
4th Gear
We will have to go out to a track day....you can drive my car and see how it compares to yours . I have not been to any track events with a mini, but I used to take my '01 S4 to the track with the Porsche club back in St. Louis. It is a blast, trust me.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:29 AM
MINIGEZR
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great looking JCW. I really like the EG/R combo. The interior looks like mine except for the Connect Screen. I love the cloth seats with the red stitching! Really happy I went with the cloth, 1 year old and still looks great.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:40 AM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Loving your color combo...

I do like it better with the Black JCW wheels for sure...keep em!!

And include me in the track day...I'm dying to get the GP out on the track!

Old 12-12-2011, 01:46 PM
Phx JCW
4th Gear
Thats good to hear...I think I made the right choice for me.

Originally Posted by MINIGEZR
Great looking JCW. I really like the EG/R combo. The interior looks like mine except for the Connect Screen. I love the cloth seats with the red stitching! Really happy I went with the cloth, 1 year old and still looks great.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:22 PM
Phx JCW
4th Gear
I had to stop by the shop today to drop a few more things for Jerry to install. He was kind enough to let me play around and take some shots of the progress so far.

He took out the old (6 miles) stock suspension off and put on some nice new KW V1 Coilovers and a Mini Madness 22mm Swaybar (middle setting)

Driver Side

Passenger Side (sorry for the poor shot)

Driver Rear

Passenger Rear

Rear View of the Coilovers and 22mm Sway Bar

Old 12-12-2011, 02:52 PM
Phx JCW
4th Gear
Again, Jerry (@ EuroTechs) was kind enough to see what the wheel was going to look like on the car with the 5mm spacer installed....(we only put one wheel on)

Side view (sorry no wheel cap yet, getting the logo painted red)

I was surprised how much tire there is, I thought (and was told) that I would need the 5mm spacer to clear the Coilovers but I don't think that is the case. I am going to wait until all four corners are on and aligned to see if I really need them or not. I am a little concerned about throwing things on the side of the car....maybe mud flaps??

I should have taken a picture of the engine bay but I forgot too. Still to install today and part of tomorrow:
DoS CAI
DoS Noise Maker delete
BSH Catch Can
Dual Boost Tap
CravenSpeed short shift kit
NM Engineering Shift assembly cover
NM Torque Arm Insert

Hope to pick her up tomorrow early afternoon and take her to the detail shop for a little face lift.

It's actually starting to feel like my car....but I still haven't even driven her yet

Old 12-12-2011, 03:43 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
Damn all that right when you get the car.. I would never be able to do that. I have to see the progression of my car

Old 12-12-2011, 03:46 PM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Good choice on KW

Old 12-12-2011, 04:08 PM
BrewSwapGuy
Formerly PassatDoTd
You're gonna love the DoS CAI. Jerry did mine a little over a week ago.

Old 12-12-2011, 04:15 PM
Phx JCW
4th Gear
There is a progression to it, its just on fast forward I know what you mean though, I just figured I was going to get a few things done and then it just snowballed...but I did justify all the mods to myself
Originally Posted by Achilles honor
Damn all that right when you get the car.. I would never be able to do that. I have to see the progression of my car

Old 12-12-2011, 04:18 PM
Phx JCW
4th Gear
Jerry had just got done cutting through the bulkhead when I got there.
Did you notice a noise difference from stock?
You're gonna love the DoS CAI. Jerry did mine a little over a week ago.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:22 PM
BrewSwapGuy
Formerly PassatDoTd
Originally Posted by Phx JCW
Jerry had just got done cutting through the bulkhead when I got there.
Did you notice a noise difference from stock?
Huge difference. I didn't get the noisemaker delete though. When the turbo is building pressure you very clearly hear the intake sucking in the air and when you let off the throttle the blow off is as clear as day. Essentially you hear the car breathing and it's awesome...especially under full throttle.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:14 PM
Phx JCW
4th Gear
Thank you. The black JCW's have a good home they are going too...if I do go with black wheels they will be another aftermarket wheel. Probably just go with the OZ...I really like that style and the weight loss is nice too.
No problem on the track day, we should all get together at some point anyway. I would love to see your GP
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
Loving your color combo...

I do like it better with the Black JCW wheels for sure...keep em!!

And include me in the track day...I'm dying to get the GP out on the track!

Old 12-12-2011, 06:19 PM
Phx JCW
4th Gear
Can't wait to hear it...I guess that's the bad part about putting all this stuff on so early...I can't go WOT for a while
Huge difference. I didn't get the noisemaker delete though. When the turbo is building pressure you very clearly hear the intake sucking in the air and when you let off the throttle the blow off is as clear as day. Essentially you hear the car breathing and it's awesome...especially under full throttle.

Old 12-13-2011, 06:13 PM
Phx JCW
4th Gear
So today Eurotechs finished up the following mods which will complete the mechanical side of things... for now

It was done early today, but I was to much of a panzy to pick it up in the rain today. But come rain or shine tomorrow it is going to the detailer for some protection, stripes, and tint.

Installed today:
DoS CAI
DoS Noise Maker delete
BSH Catch Can
Dual Boost Tap
CravenSpeed short shift kit
NM Engineering Shift assembly cover
NM Torque Arm Insert
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Wheel Alignment

I will get some pics of the engine bay when I get the car back, but Jerry was nice enough to snap some pics with the coilovers set at their new height. 25" from ground to center of black wheel molding

Old 12-13-2011, 06:27 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
Please tell me you got an engine bay shot!!

Old 12-13-2011, 06:27 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
nevermind saw your post..

Quick Reply: JCW The Making of MAKO