JCW JCW lip questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 08:00 AM
Mr_Bueno
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ayk07
Installation and lip for 260 is great. I did not know that the dealer would do it. I did not want to do it myself so good to know.

They mechanics said mine was the first JCW lip they had ever installed on a countryman. I think they might have waived alot of the labor because it took them so long to get it done right.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:02 AM
Mr_Bueno
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Mical
Sorry to hear you had to literally drag them out and show them equipment on the cars they work on. It's incidents like these where we should have a group weekend. Glad it worked out for you.

I'm just glad that there was a JCW on the lot for me to show them. They acted like I was crazy in telling them that they were supposed to be on there. I literally argued with them for 30 minutes...

Old 08-21-2013, 08:13 AM
librayiu
Neutral
I'm in HK and looking to buy and install this JCW front lip myself. This thread is excellent and has every info I needed! But one question, can the JCW front lip fit into the space of the countryman interior? I ask this because I need to transport it from the place I purchase to somewhere else for the DIY installation.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:17 AM
countryman-s
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, no problems as long as you lay the back seat down flat.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:23 AM
librayiu
Neutral
Thx!
Do I need to lay down the front passenger seat as well? Will it pass through the front sitting space?

Old 08-21-2013, 08:42 AM
countryman-s
4th Gear
In the box you may have to angle it across the back or center it between the front seats. But if you remove it from the box it should fit with no problems.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:43 AM
librayiu
Neutral
Thx a lot!

Old 09-01-2013, 09:25 PM
2fysh
1st Gear
I was able to get it at my local dealer for $115. They are real good at price matching off the net. I put my on today without the adapters. Don't think I will need them although they will be here Tuesday. Do think they are really necessary? I was also able to use all of the existing hardware that came off the original lip spoiler. I didn't have to buy any hardware. Will do a write up if anyone needs one. Install took me about an hour. I took mine out of the box and it fit in the boot and didn't even reach the front seat. Just laid down my back seat.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:35 PM
librayiu
Neutral
Originally Posted by 2fysh
I was able to get it at my local dealer for $115. They are real good at price matching off the net. I put my on today without the adapters. Don't think I will need them although they will be here Tuesday. Do think they are really necessary? I was also able to use all of the existing hardware that came off the original lip spoiler. I didn't have to buy any hardware. Will do a write up if anyone needs one. Install took me about an hour. I took mine out of the box and it fit in the boot and didn't even reach the front seat. Just laid down my back seat.
The adapter is not necessary?
Appreciate if u can provide more detail, thx a lot ~

Old 09-01-2013, 10:00 PM
2fysh
1st Gear
I'm not saying that they aren't necessary. I put mine on today and didn't use them. I really was just checking for fit and to see how easy it was. the center of JCW lip mounts where the original lip does. The sides of the lip that attach in the wheel well also attached where the original lip did. Once i had it together it seems pretty solid. There are a few holes open though where the adapter attaches but i don't think they are a big deal. There is a gap though of about an inch where the adapter goes. i'm going to install the original sills that came off the bottom to see if the gap is filled. If so then i would say that the adapter is not necessary. I have already ordered and paid for them so I will probably put them on. Adding the adapter also adds some price for the additional hardware that is needed. At this point I was able to use all the existing hardware (There was no need to cut, burn or destroy any of the hardware to get the original lip off). IMO I would say they are not necessary. Anyone else have an opinion?

Old 10-15-2013, 05:40 PM
rburna
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
just curious if anyone has tried to add the JCW front lip to a base countryman? The bumpers look the same. I'm considering a CM, but may go with base instead of S or JCW model.

On mini's configurator for base model, the $1,250 JCW exterior package only changes the wheels, mirror caps, front grill color and roof rails, from what they show, nothing changes for the front lip.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:06 PM
pidge1114
Banned
The lip will fit any Countryman.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:39 PM
rburna
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pidge1114
The lip will fit any Countryman.
Thank you!

Old 10-25-2013, 11:06 AM
Doraemon
2nd Gear
Can you please do a write up, really interested. What else is not needed for the install? Thanks

Old 10-25-2013, 11:46 AM
2fysh
1st Gear
I will try and do a write up this weekend. If I have time I will do a write up for both ways I did it. I used the adapter since i had already paid for them and didn't want to pay a restocking fee for the parts. As far as hardware goes i did not use all of the hardware that comes with the kit. I even modified the adapters before i put them on. If I can't get to it this weekend, I will asap.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:56 AM
kerrys914
3rd Gear
I needed the new plastic rivets (4 total) and 3 longer bolts with the "clip" style nuts for my install.

The right hardware made it much easier. The brackets are the main reason for the need for the new hardware..IMHO

Cheers

Old 10-25-2013, 12:14 PM
Doraemon
2nd Gear
Do you guys think i should get the adapter? Its 28$ a piece.

Old 10-26-2013, 07:33 PM
2fysh
1st Gear
If you don't get them, there is a space about an inch wide that will run the length of the lip spoiler until where it curves back up in the middle. I put the lip on with and without. I't does look better with them on. I modified (cut of about 4 inches of slim end of the adapter) and used the existing push pin to mount the lip. That saved me from having to use the bracket and screw. IMHO it was a much more solid fit.

Old 10-28-2013, 03:17 PM
Doraemon
2nd Gear
If you don't get them, there is a space about an inch wide that will run the length of the lip spoiler until where it curves back up in the middle. I put the lip on with and without. I't does look better with them on. I modified (cut of about 4 inches of slim end of the adapter) and used the existing push pin to mount the lip. That saved me from having to use the bracket and screw. IMHO it was a much more solid fit.
ah, thanks. I think ill just take them.

Old 10-29-2013, 01:31 AM
rayzmini
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking hmmmm

Did anybody ever end up doing a detailed write up on this with pics yet?After reading through the thread I never really got a clear cut answer on how to access the rivets in the side flares . Also are we still just sourcing Sewell parts as our best(cheapest) option for purchase of this kit? I'm just curious because Im going to make this my next mod and want the most up to date info available.......thanx guys!

Old 10-30-2013, 12:29 PM
dpike
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rayzmini
Did anybody ever end up doing a detailed write up on this with pics yet?After reading through the thread I never really got a clear cut answer on how to access the rivets in the side flares . Also are we still just sourcing Sewell parts as our best(cheapest) option for purchase of this kit? I'm just curious because Im going to make this my next mod and want the most up to date info available.......thanx guys!

i've purchased things from sewell and ecs and they're both fantastic to work with, just make sure you get a complete package, call them both and ask about the hardware if you're unsure it's included. i flipped thru the thread again, all the information you really need is here. the side rivets you can get to once you remove smaller ones holding the trim and wheel well lining up. i did mine almost exactly a year ago, alone and in the dark, and i'm not impressively mechanically inclined so i'm pretty sure if you give yourself time and organize your installation you'll be just fine. i can give ya my cell if you want as a backup incase you get it a jam and need to make a "hey bud, how'd ya..." call.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:23 PM
Doraemon
2nd Gear
My dealer gave me a good discount on the jcw lip, Got it for less than $170 for the whole kit. Installed it today, it took me 3 hours or so, how did you guys manage to reattached the air guide or flaps underneath?

Last edited by Doraemon; 11-01-2013 at 09:03 PM.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:02 AM
kerrys914
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Doraemon
My dealer gave me a good discount on the jcw lip, Got it for less than $170 for the whole kit. Installed it today, it took me 3 hours or so, how did you guys manage to reattached the air guide or flaps underneath?
I did not reinstall the air flaps/guides.. No CEL but I am sure one is coming