JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 2nd Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs are discussed.

JCW jcw gp 2 diffuser

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 02:11 PM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by zcast
I believe there are 8 screws that are mounted into the tunnel brackets (4 in each) There are included in the kit. There are those 6 additional threaded clips on the other end if the tunnels brackets that don't have screws (2 on the metal and 1 on the plastic of each piece) that we seem to be short. I don't have a part number and I believe the screws that were given by the mini dealer to the one guy who installed it were not the correct screws but they seemed to have fit.
Thanks Z and all others for the info.. I'm posting this pic of my Roadster, because I believe that the 4 holes at the end of the tunnel on the aluminum end will mount to the 4 bolts on either side of the cross brace that ties all the braces together. In which case, at least those 4 bolts are accounted for? Does the Coupe/Hardtop have this small cross brace? Sorry about the run on sentenceName:  _DSC3398.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  4.19 MB

-Steven

Old 02-05-2013, 02:40 PM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would think any fastener that's threaded the same and of s proper length should be perfectly fine. I've used fasteners I had lying around my shop more than once to replace those cheap plastic Philips head expanding rivets.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:50 PM
kfmuller
4th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts
I forgot all about those four holes on the very end of the metal piece because I don't have that cross member on my 2009 factory JCW. Those four holes are not attached on my setup. I was talking about the 3 holes on each that screw into the bracket. I wish I had that cross piece because it does indeed look like you reuse the screws from there to bolt the very end of the diffuser to the car.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:51 PM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by kfmuller
I forgot all about those four holes on the very end of the metal piece because I don't have that cross member on my 2009 factory JCW. Those four holes are not attached on my setup. I was talking about the 3 holes on each that screw into the bracket. I wish I had that cross piece because it does indeed look like you reuse the screws from there to bolt the very end of the diffuser to the car.
Thanks for the help. What/where do the brackets attach to the car?

-Steven

Old 02-05-2013, 05:57 PM
kfmuller
4th Gear
Originally Posted by BlueToy
Thanks for the help. What/where do the brackets attach to the car?

-Steven
the rear part of the muffler (cat back) has a hanger on each side that attaches to the chassis with two bolts. You can see them in the picture above where the heat shield has the two cut-aways in the middle. You undue the bolts, slide the bracket underneath, and re-attach the bolts. I did each side one at a time, and I was laying on the ground. It will be much easier up in the air. It will all make sense when you hold them up there. Just use the right one on the right side - left on left. I made sure I matched up the part nos. correctly.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:22 PM
InVisib0L
4th Gear
What "cross brace" are we talking about?

Old 02-05-2013, 06:26 PM
kfmuller
4th Gear
Originally Posted by InVisib0L
What "cross brace" are we talking about?
If you look at the picture above on the Roadster - there are braces that come from either side and meet just forward of the muffler. They meet on either side into a rectangle piece that has two screws on either side. I don't have this piece or that bracing on my hatchback. I think it may be bracing for the Roadster because it has no roof. It looks like the rear two holes on each tunnel may screw right into those using the existing screws in the chassis.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:20 PM
zcast
3rd Gear
Aaaargh this is killing me being out of town for so long. Once I get home I will back my R58 up onto ramps and look this over. I do not know if the Coupe has the bracing or not.

Do you have to remove the muffler heatshield to fit the center tunnel or not?

-Z

Old 02-05-2013, 08:36 PM
InVisib0L
4th Gear
If you look at the picture above on the Roadster - there are braces that come from either side and meet just forward of the muffler. They meet on either side into a rectangle piece that has two screws on either side. I don't have this piece or that bracing on my hatchback. I think it may be bracing for the Roadster because it has no roof. It looks like the rear two holes on each tunnel may screw right into those using the existing screws in the chassis.
Ohh okay thanks. Yeah, the hardtop definitely doesn't have that bracing.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:44 PM
sooper_cooper
5th Gear
I've had my 2009 JCW on a lift before and as of kfmuller confirmed, the cross braces shown on the Roadster above are not there.

Maybe the GP2 has the necessary bolts underneath the car already attached to something. Doesn't it also have flat panels running under the car to smooth out the air flow making the diffusers more effective?

Just making a guess as to why the necessary bolts are not included for some reason.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:28 AM
kfmuller
4th Gear
Originally Posted by sooper_cooper
I've had my 2009 JCW on a lift before and as of kfmuller confirmed, the cross braces shown on the Roadster above are not there.

Maybe the GP2 has the necessary bolts underneath the car already attached to something. Doesn't it also have flat panels running under the car to smooth out the air flow making the diffusers more effective?

Just making a guess as to why the necessary bolts are not included for some reason.
That explains the two holes on each tunnel on the very end, but I'm not sure why they didn't include six more screws that attach the tunnels to the brackets and screw into the included clips. However, since you can take a clip and a screw and get something from the dealer or hardware store that matches the screw in length and that will thread into the clip - it's not a big deal, and ultimately, a really easy install.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:10 AM
BlueToy
6th Gear
We need to see the underside of the new GP. I'm really curious now.

-Steven

Old 02-06-2013, 08:52 AM
sooper_cooper
5th Gear
That explains the two holes on each tunnel on the very end, but I'm not sure why they didn't include six more screws that attach the tunnels to the brackets and screw into the included clips. However, since you can take a clip and a screw and get something from the dealer or hardware store that matches the screw in length and that will thread into the clip - it's not a big deal, and ultimately, a really easy install.
Oh okay, that does make it easy then. I thought the bolts went into the chassis somewhere so I was wondering how to find the correct size/thread pattern.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:22 PM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
Originally Posted by BlueToy
We need to see the underside of the new GP. I'm really curious now.

-Steven
Here ya go! I grabbed these from a MINI promotion video for the GP after its reveal. Their not the greatest shots but might help a bit.

Of particular note to me is the Skid plate like ground effects up front. I've glanced over realOEM without luck so I'm not sure if this part has made it onto the production GP's or not. Pretty cool.

Attached Thumbnails jcw gp 2 diffuser-image-2512662314.jpg   jcw gp 2 diffuser-image-758234150.jpg   jcw gp 2 diffuser-image-3790772501.jpg  

Last edited by TerminalVelocity; 02-06-2013 at 08:39 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:49 PM
InVisib0L
4th Gear
^ That diffuser doesn't even have those metal plates.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:53 AM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TerminalVelocity
Here ya go! I grabbed these from a MINI promotion video for the GP after its reveal. Their not the greatest shots but might help a bit.

Of particular note to me is the Skid plate like ground effects up front. I've glanced over realOEM without luck so I'm not sure if this part has made it onto the production GP's or not. Pretty cool.
Thanks Andrew It's interesting that they added the aluminum plates to the production pieces. I also read they spent a good amount of time developing the engine bay tray, and that it does a good job of drawing air off the back of the intercooler, as well as getting rid of hot air in the engine bay. Hopefully, this piece will become available.

-Steven

Old 02-07-2013, 08:31 AM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
Originally Posted by InVisib0L
^ That diffuser doesn't even have those metal plates.
Same diffuser otherwise. I'm guessing they added them to strengthen that area due to failures they were seeing.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:14 AM
Chulander
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chulander
Could it be these 6 screws?

I found this image on the other MINI forum and just ordered the kit from Outmotoring. Super excited, but a little nervous about these 6 additional screws.
Just wanted to attach this image (posted earlier in this thread) that kfmuller used successfully in his install.

Attached Images  
Old 02-08-2013, 11:03 AM
phantasms
5th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Since our add on diffuser wont be connected to flat under-trays, is there any potential for hindering overall aerodynamic performance instead of improving it?

Old 02-08-2013, 12:07 PM
sooper_cooper
5th Gear
I'm no aerodynamics engineer but I don't think performance would suffer as a result.

You can buy the under panels though from Mini if it's a concern. They aren't new as a part of the GP, they were originally included as part of the Aero body kit option (not the JCW body kit).

From what I recall they're not expensive and it's also an easy install.

Last edited by sooper_cooper; 02-08-2013 at 12:20 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:14 PM
InVisib0L
4th Gear
I think someone should email MINI asking them for installation instructions and what screws should be used to mount the tunnels and the brackets. The person (probably customer service) might not know the answer, but see if they can forward it deeper internally to the department that deals with parts. It seems like they forgot to include additional screws.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:09 PM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
Personally I'd rather keep MINI out of the loop on this. I'd hate to upset the apple cart for folks looking to buy these in the future.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:54 PM
sooper_cooper
5th Gear
I don't think it's any mystery, Mini is selling all of these parts themselves so far without regard to what they are for.

Mini is in the business of making money. If they were concerned with exclusivity they never would've have sold JCW parts to anyone who wanted them.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:32 PM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
I could certainly be wrong but I know of two individuals who've tried to order these through their dealer and when they input the part numbers it required at GP2 VIN. The GP1 did require a VIN number for exclusive parts. MINI may intend to sell these parts to whoever wants them. Lets hope so but I know BMW's logistics system is a huge lumbering beast and it may just take time for them to catch up with it.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:07 PM
InVisib0L
4th Gear
Originally Posted by TerminalVelocity
I could certainly be wrong but I know of two individuals who've tried to order these through their dealer and when they input the part numbers it required at GP2 VIN.
Whoa, that's not cool. Hmm, okay. So for those (6) screws... I went to RealOEM and looked at some of the screws used for the bumper. There was a large list: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...83&hg=51&fg=17

I picked out a few. Could it be anyone of these?

Attached Thumbnails jcw gp 2 diffuser-screw2.jpg   jcw gp 2 diffuser-screw.jpg   jcw gp 2 diffuser-erivet.jpg  

Quick Reply: JCW jcw gp 2 diffuser