JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 2nd Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs are discussed.

JCW Has anyone moved from higher powered cars to a JCW

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 01:21 PM
Luv325Ci-MiniCoopS
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 2011 335hp BMW 1 Series M Coupe and my husband has a 400hp C6 Vette, but I prefer to drive our JCW Clubman for everyday driving over the BMW. However when I do get in the BMW I remember why we bought it and the pure joy it gives me to drive, even if it could put me in jail.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:22 AM
geco
1st Gear
Originally Posted by RockstarDoc
Just a thought, but if you're really looking to replace your SLK AMG for something more fun and agile, but don't really need the space, why not consider a Boxster/Boxster S or Cayman/Cayman S. I've driven my friends, and loved how they feel and handle. You'll be able to wind those cars up and drive them a little closer to the limits (at least acceleration-wise) and have just as much fun as a Mini.
Aren't these Porsches about twice as much (or more) than a new JCW? I have always wanted a Porsche, but to me they have been "cost prohibitive". I believe that with a JCW you certainly get more bang for the buck. Not everybody has $50-70,000 to invest in a set of wheels.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:50 PM
bhegg
3rd Gear
I drove a 2007 Cayman S for a couple years. The interior was not what you'd expect for a $67K sportscar. I'd say that the interior of my MCS is almost as nice. As far as power, unless you're on a racetrack the MCS does just fine. But even at my last track day, my laptimes were faster than some much more powerful cars. I almost got to see what jail is like during a momentary lapse in judgement with the Cayman (expensive mistake). I'm probably better off with the MCS for now. You get decent performance and economy for the price. The question is, will you miss being able to put the top down? I owned a Miata too and I do miss the open air on a beautiful day. Maybe a convertible MCS should be on your list too.

Old 09-26-2012, 03:26 PM
RockstarDoc
1st Gear
Yes, points well taken about the MCS/JCW. I truly enjoyed the MCS for what its got. I, however, was not too fond of the understeer of an FWD car and the inability to power steer out of the curves. It's a great handling car, but I'm more of a RWD person.

As far a price concerns, like I mentioned, it's an unfair comparison against the Mini, but since the OP owns an SLK AMG, I figured the Boxster/Cayman was in the same class. And, for about the same price as a new JCW, you can get a Boxster/Cayman (non-S) Porsche-Certified Preowned with full bumper to bumper manufacturers warranty. In actuality, the warranty is much better than the a new car. Some of these pre-owned cars are so well cared for, it's like buying them new with the peace of mind of a full manufacturers warranty.

It's obviously just my opinion, and I'm not knocking the Mini, but for me personally, there are better options (Subaru BRZ comes to mind...ie RWD platform as well as others out there). It's what makes life fun. If everyone had the same opinion, then life would be boring. Cheers.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:00 PM
El Zilcho
1st Gear
You guys are nuts. Some of you traded nice cars with great and quiet interiors to an overpriced plastic toy that is FWD and actually brag about it? It is really fun to drive on the track and in the twisties and it looks cool but its cheaply made car for a lot of money otherwise, especially if you going to use it as a DD.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:40 PM
bhegg
3rd Gear
I don't think anyone is bragging. We volunteered the info b/c it's exactly what the OP is asking about. He's interested in peoples' experiences and opinions. Isn't that what's great about forums? And the MCS is a hell of a lot more economical and practical than the Cayman S was.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:02 PM
El Zilcho
1st Gear
Originally Posted by bhegg
I don't think anyone is bragging. We volunteered the info b/c it's exactly what the OP is asking about. He's interested in peoples' experiences and opinions. Isn't that what's great about forums? And the MCS is a hell of a lot more economical and practical than the Cayman S was.
You're right. I guess I just got really annoyed of how loud the car is on a highway. Time to buy some dynomat and I will never understand why MINI puts such a cheap plastic inside the car. Some of the interior is actually great, but some parts feel extremely cheap. With a price tag of this car MINI could put some better plastic inside. Other than thar its totally different from my previous Lexus gs430. I miss the power and refinement of Lexus but love how fuel efficient and light the MINI is. I bought MINI to actually learn how to drive FWD cars, but I guess I'm a RWD person. I can push my MINI to the limit but don't really feel in control the same way as in RWD car.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:09 PM
MiniMello
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have had a 440 Cuda a 67 SS camaro with 500 hp at the tires and I have an Aspen wagon that runs 11s now in my driveway, the Mini is a great road car and the turns are sick for it, the straight line is OK but not killing you, I wouldnt want another street car and I still have the wagon so what does that tell you.

Old 09-28-2012, 08:23 AM
mtbscott
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by El Zilcho
You're right. I guess I just got really annoyed of how loud the car is on a highway. Time to buy some dynomat and I will never understand why MINI puts such a cheap plastic inside the car. Some of the interior is actually great, but some parts feel extremely cheap. With a price tag of this car MINI could put some better plastic inside. Other than thar its totally different from my previous Lexus gs430. I miss the power and refinement of Lexus but love how fuel efficient and light the MINI is. I bought MINI to actually learn how to drive FWD cars, but I guess I'm a RWD person. I can push my MINI to the limit but don't really feel in control the same way as in RWD car.
Meh....the MINI is what it is, a premium small car that doesn't appeal to everyone...but the JCW is the pinnacle performance wise in its lineup. The whole FWD/RWD/AWD debate is pointless, drive what you prefer or adapt to each type's idiosyncrasies. I've had several RWD performance cars (Porsche Cayman S, and two BMW M cars, sorry I wouldn't really consider a Lexus a sporty car) and they were great fun to drive, the Cayman was a track god. My current TT-RS is AWD tuned to be as neutral as possible and it's fun to drive too. I personally think the MINI's are in the top three best handling FWD's ever made. Yes, you have to drive them differently, but that's half the fun. The MINI is very light on its feet, has good brakes, and the understeer can switch to oversteer in a hurry if you push too hard. I think it's a lot of fun. I could afford many cars but wanted a MINI because it's a MINI.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:09 AM
bhegg
3rd Gear
If you do end up going with a JCW you should check out a track day! You will be impressed. Sebring isn't that far from Orlando. For me, the MCS is at least as much fun at the track as my Cayman S was. Racking up faster laptimes than much more powerful cars was gratifying.

Originally Posted by Mini__Me
Hello all,

This is my first post on this board. I am considering moving into a JCW hardtop. I was wondering if anyone here has traded a significantly more powerful vehicle for a JCW. I currently drive a Mercedes SLK55 AMG and would be trading that in for the JCW. I will definitely go to a dealer and test drive before I make the final decision, but I know that I'll probably be smitten after a quick spin. I was more wondering how people felt after some time away from their more powerful cars. Does the Mini continue to satisfy all your driving emotions after a year or two, or do you find yourself wanting more? I just want to make sure I'm not crazy for considering the swap. The Mini's look like so much fun!

Old 10-06-2012, 07:24 PM
smoke05S
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I traded my e36 m3 convertable and my 325i convertible for the JCW. The 325 was modified and was faster than the m3 up to 60. I do miss the RWD and race clutch, but the tossability of the JCW and the mid range power makes up for any launch deficiency.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:52 AM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by El Zilcho
You guys are nuts. Some of you traded nice cars with great and quiet interiors to an overpriced plastic toy that is FWD and actually brag about it? It is really fun to drive on the track and in the twisties and it looks cool but its cheaply made car for a lot of money otherwise, especially if you going to use it as a DD.
I came from a highly modded 335i and haven't looked back since. I have a regular S but have modded it to JCW power so I guess I can understand what a jcw is all about.

My MCS is amazing on the road and on the track. It's so nimble thru corners and can still find great exit speed coming out. Sure the interior isn't the most amazing for its price or it's class, nor is it the most sound proof interior, but I don't think the 1st gen or the 2nd gen were meant to be Rolls Royce quality.

I have a group of friends that have huge high powered BMWs, one with a single turbo 335i putting down 600hp, I just gave him a ride in my MINI on Friday and he was flabbergasted. Everyone at the shop that have taken my MINI out on the road has been blown away by its sheer power and handling capabilities.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:11 AM
bhegg
3rd Gear
THIS is encouraging, as I've actually been window-shopping the 335i for the significant HP potential (at a relatively significant cost of course). But so far, I'm really enjoying modifying my MCS. Right now I'm sorting out the handling to my liking (SB and endlinks are next) and may address HP down the line. LSD is planned for the spring though!

Originally Posted by ra2fanatic
I came from a highly modded 335i and haven't looked back since. I have a regular S but have modded it to JCW power so I guess I can understand what a jcw is all about.

My MCS is amazing on the road and on the track. It's so nimble thru corners and can still find great exit speed coming out. Sure the interior isn't the most amazing for its price or it's class, nor is it the most sound proof interior, but I don't think the 1st gen or the 2nd gen were meant to be Rolls Royce quality.

I have a group of friends that have huge high powered BMWs, one with a single turbo 335i putting down 600hp, I just gave him a ride in my MINI on Friday and he was flabbergasted. Everyone at the shop that have taken my MINI out on the road has been blown away by its sheer power and handling capabilities.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:40 AM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
THIS is encouraging, as I've actually been window-shopping the 335i for the significant HP potential (at a relatively significant cost of course). But so far, I'm really enjoying modifying my MCS. Right now I'm sorting out the handling to my liking (SB and endlinks are next) and may address HP down the line. LSD is planned for the spring though!
There are moments where I do think about going back to the N54 335i, but when I sat in one the other day, it was hard not to think that the 335i was a boat.

Once you get that LSD in there, you'll have major fun through the twisties. It's incredible how the MINI already handles w/o one, but you'll know the difference once you get it in!

Old 10-07-2012, 09:45 AM
bhegg
3rd Gear
I took the MCS to its first track weekend last month and really was amazed at how well it did, despite the the open diff and spinning the inside tire through the left-hand, medium sweeper. I came away from the weekend thinking, "I don't need a stinkin' LSD yet." Ah, but it will only make this little bugger that much more fun.

Originally Posted by ra2fanatic
There are moments where I do think about going back to the N54 335i, but when I sat in one the other day, it was hard not to think that the 335i was a boat.

Once you get that LSD in there, you'll have major fun through the twisties. It's incredible how the MINI already handles w/o one, but you'll know the difference once you get it in!

Old 10-07-2012, 02:43 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
I took the MCS to its first track weekend last month and really was amazed at how well it did, despite the the open diff and spinning the inside tire through the left-hand, medium sweeper. I came away from the weekend thinking, "I don't need a stinkin' LSD yet." Ah, but it will only make this little bugger that much more fun.
Yes, and if you get some track pads, you'll be amazed at how well you'd do on the track. My friend has the M7 wing on his R56 and says he's absolutely planted on the track.

Old 10-13-2012, 05:24 AM
dustint
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by geco
Aren't these Porsches about twice as much (or more) than a new JCW? I have always wanted a Porsche, but to me they have been "cost prohibitive". I believe that with a JCW you certainly get more bang for the buck. Not everybody has $50-70,000 to invest in a set of wheels.
Originally Posted by RockstarDoc
As far a price concerns, like I mentioned, it's an unfair comparison against the Mini, but since the OP owns an SLK AMG, I figured the Boxster/Cayman was in the same class. And, for about the same price as a new JCW, you can get a Boxster/Cayman (non-S) Porsche-Certified Preowned with full bumper to bumper manufacturers warranty. In actuality, the warranty is much better than the a new car. Some of these pre-owned cars are so well cared for, it's like buying them new with the peace of mind of a full manufacturers warranty.

It's obviously just my opinion, and I'm not knocking the Mini, but for me personally, there are better options (Subaru BRZ comes to mind...ie RWD platform as well as others out there). It's what makes life fun. If everyone had the same opinion, then life would be boring. Cheers.
I like these posts. Ya, a preowned Porsche would be a great option and one I'd cross shop. Just make sure you get the maintenance plan \ extended warranty. Well, I got that on my Mini, all these cars love to go back to the dealer.

Old 10-13-2012, 07:22 AM
Island maser
5th Gear
I do have the best of both worlds. My Maserati is a great GT car for long fast road trips. With a manaul 6 speed it is everything you could want in a fast GT car. Sound is off the hook with a Larini exhaust and with the traction control off she love to hang her tail out and drift. Very controlable with the throttle. My MINI is my daily airport commuter and track car. People often ask why I don't track my Maserati. Answer- I don't want to see her gettign passed by a MINI. And I am serious. Sure on straight it wouldn't be close but once the first corner vomes up it is a brand new game. I run Nitto NT01's at the track and Carboteck X-10's front and X-8 rears and 4 point harness. The rest is stock and she will run with lots of big iron at the track. If I want to go faster now I will need to do the suspension which I really don't want to do. It rides great and works well on the street and I can let anyone drive it. I know lots of track rats with MINI's who use to drive P cars, Vettes etc and love the MINI. It is a about the miost bang for the buck you can get for a track car you don't have to tow to the track. I and get racing tires and everything I need for a weekend of racing in the car. The drive it to CALI to run Thunder Hill. Name another car you can do that with. There are not many. Any other car it would be on a trailer with your gear in the truck.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:02 AM
RockstarDoc
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Island maser
I know lots of track rats with MINI's who use to drive P cars, Vettes etc and love the MINI. It is a about the miost bang for the buck you can get for a track car you don't have to tow to the track. I and get racing tires and everything I need for a weekend of racing in the car. The drive it to CALI to run Thunder Hill. Name another car you can do that with. There are not many. Any other car it would be on a trailer with your gear in the truck.
If true bang for your buck is what the OP is looking for, he/she may want to look into the Subaru BRZ. If more power is desired, then the turbo version will be out shortly. It's also on a RWD platform and has much better driving dynamics.

Originally Posted by dustint
I like these posts. Ya, a preowned Porsche would be a great option and one I'd cross shop. Just make sure you get the maintenance plan \ extended warranty. Well, I got that on my Mini, all these cars love to go back to the dealer.
Yeah, I'm just giving the OP other options that he may not have considered. For the same price as a new JCW, he can get into a Porsche Certified Boxster/Cayman with the EXACT warranty as a the new car warranty. Many times, the warranty is even better since you'll get 6 years total from new or 100k miles. So if someone were to purchase a 2010 with 25k miles, then he'd have 4 years 75k miles vs a new car with 4 years 50k miles. I bought my 997 certified and it looked, felt, and drove like it came straight from the Stuttgart. With so many of these cars well cared for, and with a full detailed records history from the dealer, it is something to definitely consider. There is no substitute for these cars. Just check out
. The Cayman's big brother won. The visceral driving feel is the same. The main difference between the two is that one has more power. So if comparing a JCW to a Cayman/Boxster, and back seat/cargo space is not a concern (since the OP has an SLK), then the Porsche would probably be the better choice.

Again, just giving the OP other options out there that he may not have considered.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:23 AM
Island maser
5th Gear
I also like the Cayman S and think it is a great track car and DD. The biggest difference you are going to find is the cost to maintain the car. P car is going to cost you double per year at best. Track it hard it is going to cost you even more. I have also yet to see a Caymen go by my MINI on the track- or a boxter. 911 are not much of a problem unless they are heavily modified for the track. Last time out I was running with newer 911 that had all the badges removed. I let him by on our second session. After the run he said he was happy to follow me as he said I was faster in all the corner. He kept saying how impressed he was with the MINI. As the day went on I learned more about the 911. After session 3 I asked if it was all wheel drive. It was. Later I found out it is turbod and over 550 HP. Not a bad MINI day. The same track day there was a Ferrari 430 Scud. I was trying to catch a MINI friend from Spokane with a fast R53 Track car. He was chasing the 430. After the session I heard the F430 driver talking to his firends. "Dam those MINI's are fast. I am glad the session ended as they were gaining on me every lap". I enjoy rear wheel drive cars too but something about the little MINI is just too much fun. It is always a track favorite with the corner works. My favorite track award was being awarded car of the day by the corner works and mixed event. " That little MINI was wound up and flying every lap of every session. We love flagging the high HP cars that are holding him up in the corners. They all hate letting the MINI's by." And I change the tires and driver her home as they all load there cars on a trailer to tow home.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:15 AM
mgmetz89
Neutral
Mustang Owner

I had a 2005 Crossfire. Traded it in on a 2011 Mustang GT(400hp)

I traded the Mustang on a 2009 JCW Clubman.

I beat a SLK55 a few weeks ago...

Nuff said?

Should have seen the look on the guys wife's face when I passed them...

Old 10-16-2012, 08:15 PM
delete_me
1st Gear
I moved from a 2009 e92 m3 to a 2012 MCS and I loved my m3....but.....I really love my mini. Getting the jcw kit installed next week.

Plus turbo cars at my elevation are so much fun.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:45 PM
Mini__Me
1st Gear
Thanks for all of the replies guys! This thread turned out to be much bigger than I anticipated. I am definitely going to go try out a JCW, but I will have to wait until next month when I am done traveling on business. I'm really looking forward to seeing what Minis are all about. It looks like there are many of you that find satisfaction with the Mini even coming from more powerful cars. I have a feeling I will catch the bug as well. Thanks again for all of the input.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:57 AM
mtbscott
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just swapped two cars for one new one, including my JCW. But it's likely I will be back in the MINI fold again, I'm first in line for GP2 at my dealer.

Old 10-20-2012, 04:17 AM
mikeyb74
6th Gear
A friend of mine has a JCW on order. He is trading in a 10 Range Rover Sport for it. Ever since he drove my MCS he has been wanting a MINI.

Quick Reply: JCW Has anyone moved from higher powered cars to a JCW