JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 2nd Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs are discussed.

JCW Has anyone moved from higher powered cars to a JCW

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 06:08 PM
Mini__Me
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone moved from higher powered cars to a JCW

Hello all,

This is my first post on this board. I am considering moving into a JCW hardtop. I was wondering if anyone here has traded a significantly more powerful vehicle for a JCW. I currently drive a Mercedes SLK55 AMG and would be trading that in for the JCW. I will definitely go to a dealer and test drive before I make the final decision, but I know that I'll probably be smitten after a quick spin. I was more wondering how people felt after some time away from their more powerful cars. Does the Mini continue to satisfy all your driving emotions after a year or two, or do you find yourself wanting more? I just want to make sure I'm not crazy for considering the swap. The Mini's look like so much fun!

Old 08-31-2012, 07:47 PM
davisflyer
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
The Mini will satisfy in different ways than the AMG.

Old 09-01-2012, 02:34 AM
robbo mcs
4th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I've had both kinds of cars (although BM's not mercs)

It depends what thrills you.

If you love a straight bit of dry road with no traffic, flattening the throttle and hearing amazing sounds whilst you are pulling warp speed the merc is your car

If you love doing insane speeds though tight and windy stuff, even in the wet, then the JCW is your car

Robbo

Last edited by robbo mcs; 09-01-2012 at 02:49 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Homazur (05-29-2024)
Old 09-01-2012, 07:03 AM
Marioalex24
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ive had two m3, a exige and two camaros, which I traded for my mini and honestly on the streets, there's nothing better than a mini.

At the track well on the straights, it's not fast but once you get to the corners that's where it gets fun and exciting. Evening though it's not the fastest on a straight line found that its not most exciting and dramatic at it's own speeds. Because you can control it better and do whatever you like as oppose to a high power car. Sure I miss the high revving V8. But I'm not going to loosing any sleep over it.

And soon to come a jcw coupe, that should be more than fun.

Homazur (05-29-2024)
Old 09-01-2012, 08:47 AM
quikmni
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I went from a Camaro Z28 to a 2003 MCS with mods. I was so happy with the 2003 MCS that I replaced it with a 2006 MCS GP. I did miss the torque of the V-8 but the Mini is more fun overall for my driving. I love canyon roads where the Mini is great.

The other great thing about the Mini are clubs and organized events. I do not know of any other vehicle make that supports so many events in the US. I have attended all four MINI USA sponsored Mini Takes The States (MTTS) events. I also organize local events for a Mini Cooper club.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:52 AM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I went from a CBR600 (400lbs, 110HP.) to my Cooper (2315lbs, ~110HP.)

I only miss it when I want to stoplight race someone. I sure loved roasting $100k+ cars off the line on my $2500 decade old Honda. I upset a few Lambo drivers in Whistler!

Old 09-01-2012, 09:07 AM
Mini__Me
1st Gear
Hey thanks for the replies guys. This is the kind of info I'm looking for. I enjoy the SLK55 quite a bit especially with the top down, but to be honest 90% of the time my driving is pretty sedate. There aren't many great driving roads in central FL. I'm not one to take many risks on public roads, and flooring the AMG for more than a few seconds breaks pretty much any speed limit in my area. I don't really get the opportunity to really open it up. That's why I'm looking at Mini's. From everything I've read and heard, they seem to be loads of fun without doing anything too dangerous. The much lower cost of consumables (gas,brakes, tires, ect) is also appealing.

It's good to hear that people still love the Mini even coming from some great and powerful cars. I also have 2 motorcycles if I got the itch for some crazy speed. I definitely need to get out to a dealer to try out a JCW. Thanks for all of the insight.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:47 PM
masternut
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The JCW is much more fun to drive close to its limits than my C5 Corvette was - the interior is driver friendly - the seats are underrated - the JCW is awesome!

Homazur (05-29-2024)
Old 09-01-2012, 08:55 PM
ACallahan
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I had a 5.0 Mustang, I never looked back after getting my JCW and after further modifications to it, I can honestly say I have more fun driving it over the Stang and that is something I thought I would never say.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:38 PM
PatM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As the others said it's two different drives. Why not keep your current ride and get a JCW as well? I have my JCW and a 2005 GTO, 6 speed with 400 hp. Both cars are different and I enjoy driving both. So why not have the best of both worlds?

Old 09-02-2012, 05:36 AM
AKmcs
1st Gear
I have a 2013 Porsche 911 Carrera S (7spd manual, yes 7!) and a 2011 JCW Clubman (6spd manual).

Obviously, the 911 is way faster. However, I still love to drive the JCW. The JCW is my daily driver and I would rather drive the JCW on a daily basis than the 911. They are both about equally fun, but in different ways. The 911 feels (and sounds) more like a race car, the JCW more like a go cart. And thats a great thing. I can put down wayyyy faster times with the 911 on a track, but have more fun in the JCW. I love having both, but I'm always happy when I get in the JCW after driving the 911.

Feel free to PM me with more questions

Old 09-02-2012, 03:07 PM
Royalpar1
2nd Gear
I have a 2012 GTC Maserati, and a MCS with the JCW package, i drive my mini as a daily driver and my mas to play. i love them both !

Old 09-02-2012, 07:06 PM
Mini__Me
1st Gear
Wow you guys have some nice cars in addition to your JCW's. I wish that I could have both the SLK and the JCW, but unfortunately my wife tells me it's one or the other. It's great to see that people can go from powerful rwd vehicles and jump into the Mini and still have great fun. I really need to go out and drive one to see for myself. If all goes well I might be jumping ship into a JCW in the next few months. Thanks again guys. I love hearing personal experiences from people who have driven all sorts of cars.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:54 PM
Grant_stewart
Neutral
I also had a 5.0 mustang with heavy engine mods (heads/cam/intake etc) and love my JCW. Absolutely no regrets and I’m not going back anytime soon.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:47 AM
Sketch
5th Gear
I had a 360hp Audi B7 S4 that was stunning in every way. High revving V8, and a glorious sound every time I hit the pedal.

All of that was unregrettably traded for my 2nd MINI. Nothing better to daily drive IMO.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:42 AM
mtbscott
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by davisflyer
The Mini will satisfy in different ways than the AMG.
This. There's an old adage that it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than it is to drive a fast car slow.
The JCW isn't a slug by any means, but its main appeal to me is its lightweight "flingability." The car promotes hooliganism, even on the way to the corner store. It also has surprising utility and makes for a decent roadtrip car as well.
I also have an Audi TT-RS which is MUCH faster in a straight line, and would run circles around the JCW at any track above a 30 second autocross loop, but that doesn't keep me from enjoying the MINI. I love having both but have lived for periods with only a JCW and did fine.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:28 PM
Liquid
4th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
I sold my 03 Mustang Cobra that put down 487rwhp/486rwtq a month before I sold it, and got my 05 MCS at that time. I never looked back and never regretted it. And now I've switched to my R59 JCW and love it even more!!!!

Old 09-07-2012, 10:21 AM
Valpo1
Neutral
Three weeks ago, I traded in my 2009 Mustang GT convertible. I loved that car, but could not get the driving gratification I get from my new 2012 MCS convertible.
Now I'm thinking about a second mini next year. That would most likely be a JCW Roadster.

Old 09-07-2012, 02:12 PM
Liquid
4th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Valpo1
Now I'm thinking about a second mini next year. That would most likely be a JCW Roadster.
Just Do It!!! And I speak from experience

Old 09-07-2012, 04:06 PM
bk_mini
2nd Gear
I have a AMG E55 720hp . And in some way I luz both car..
I have 2 different purpose for both cars.
out with the Kids, of course AMG. Go to dinner with Wifey, AMG.
But when alone at the back road, JCW. When going out my buddy, JCW. (no need to ruin it, when none of them has high power cars) . Going around the city. JCW....

Old 09-07-2012, 04:14 PM
Valpo1
Neutral
Originally Posted by Liquid
Just Do It!!! And I speak from experience
I'm really tempted to do so, now that we are empty nesters. We still have Caddy for hauling around a few more people.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:31 PM
RockstarDoc
1st Gear
I had a number of cars before having to drive my wife's R56 Cooper S manual. It's definitely a very fun car to drive with that go-kart feeling, however... and please don't shoot me for this... I personally felt there was quite a bit missing for me.

My previous cars have been:
1. E36 M3 Sedan (manual)
2. E92 335i (manual)
3. 2006 Cayenne Turbo (automatic)
4. 2006 Mercedes Benz E55 AMG
5. Porsche 997 Carrera 4S.

In comparison to the cars above, the MCS was the slowest in terms of pure acceleration.

In terms of gas economy, the MCS beat these cars out hands down.

In terms of fun factor, I had more fun in the M3 and the 911.

In terms of interior quality, fit, and finish, the MCS was dead last.

In terms of overall handling, the MCS faired well, but could not compare to the same feeling of the 911.

In terms of cargo space, well... you all know the answer to that one.

Essentially, the MCS is considered a great fun "economical" car and it's unfair to compare it to the cars I've had. But if comparing the MCS to the same class cars such as a GTI or Fiat Abarth, I'd take it any day over those cars.

So to answer the question about going from cars with lots of HP and torque to a Mini, it was a difficult adjustment for me personally. Hence the reason that I have sold the car since. I'm sure others don't feel the same way, which is perfectly alright... but for me, the MCS just couldn't compare and its really an unfair comparison. It got beat out on practically everything that mattered to "me". Now, if only there was such a car that had the handling of a 911, the cargo space of the Cayenne, the brute torque of the AMG, and the gas mileage of an MCS...

On another note, not that it should really matter... but I've gotten numerous comments from co-workers (guys and gals) who just say its a car that doesn't fit "me". They say the car is too "cute", even though it's got an Invidia exhaust and black racing stripes down the middle.

Eventually, I may consider getting back into one, but most likely a really nicely modded JCW.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:38 PM
RockstarDoc
1st Gear
Just a thought, but if you're really looking to replace your SLK AMG for something more fun and agile, but don't really need the space, why not consider a Boxster/Boxster S or Cayman/Cayman S. I've driven my friends, and loved how they feel and handle. You'll be able to wind those cars up and drive them a little closer to the limits (at least acceleration-wise) and have just as much fun as a Mini.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:59 PM
laforze
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Love the thread!

Some of you have too much money to play with! ;( I R Jealous!

Old 09-24-2012, 01:03 PM
mikeyb74
6th Gear
Originally Posted by laforze
love the thread!

Some of you have too much money to play with! ;( i r jealous!
+1

Quick Reply: JCW Has anyone moved from higher powered cars to a JCW