JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 2nd Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs are discussed.

JCW new tires advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 07:06 PM
Halldor
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new tires advice

Hey all,

I have a 2013 JCW Coupe (which I LOVE) and I'm replacing my run-flats with some regular tires.

I don't drive that many miles a year and my driving style I would describe as "spirited." Also, I'm hoping to do some autocross activities in the spring!

Anyway, I wanted to see if anyone here has some tire recommendations. The two that I've been thinking about at the moment are...

Kumo Ecsta PA31 or Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus

Any help would be appreciated!

Old 11-03-2013, 09:35 PM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 was designed to replace the plus and provide better performance. The best autocross tires are summer only.

popular examples:
BFG Rival
Bridgestone RE11a
Continental DW (for rain only)
Dunlop Direzza ZII

The best all season for autocross is probably the A/S 3 but it won't be competitive.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:05 PM
Halldor
1st Gear
Thanks for the reply and info hsautocrosser.

I took a look at those tires you mention on Tire Rack. I really like that Bridgestone RE11.

So, now I'm wondering if I could actually use those as my year round tires?

It doesn't, typically, get that cold for that long where I am. If it did get icy or snowy I could use another car. Is that just me being crazy? Can you use a summer tire year round or if I go that direction I really need to get two sets of tires?

My hobbies seem to be getting more and more expensive. lol

Old 11-03-2013, 10:25 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can use summer tires year round in the right climate. We have summer tires (Conti DW) on Algy. If it gets really cold we can use Bertie who has all seasons (Conti DWS) just in case. 45 degrees F is usually the recommended limit for using summer tires, we've driven in temperatures less than that, if the tires are already warm. We've driven on RE-11 when the frost warning went off, but the tires were already warm, they still worked.

The RE-11 tires are great for the ultimate in performance, we've used them for autocross and track days. I wouldn't recommend them as everyday tires they have a horrible ride and are very noisy. We swap them on and off as needed. I'd reccommend dedicated tires for autocross and something different for the street (Conti DW are good for the street).

Old 11-04-2013, 10:20 AM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
The biggest gotcha on summer tires in cold weather occurs in the morning. If there was an overnight freeze you can still find ice on bridges and in shadows. If you commute and get freezing weather at night I wouldn't recommend summer tires in the winter.

Old saying:
"How much does motorsports cost?"
"How fast do you want to go?"

Old 11-04-2013, 01:18 PM
InjectedGT
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Low yearly mileage, spirited driving, street/autocross used: Bridgestone RE11(which I believe they have a new model of) all the way. I'e never owned a tire I had more good things to say about. My MR2 would run out of performance before the tires would, and they were very forgiving and let you know when you were at the edge of their grip limit. Great wear, great wet traction for such an amazing performing tire.

If you want an amazing performing summer tire that will dominate in street tire classes, that's the one I'd pick 10 times out of 10.

Old 11-04-2013, 02:34 PM
jkapinos
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Just purchased tires yesterday for my 2013 roadster. I went with 215/45ZR-17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport XL.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:28 AM
MINISLO
1st Gear
I second the Pilot Super Sports-Car and Drivers top rated tire.

I have a set on my JCW.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:57 PM
Halldor
1st Gear
Thanks for all the advice and recommendations!

I went with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 for the cost/performance balance and winter ability (although Discount Tire said I can switch out and upgrade within 30 days and WOW those ratings on the Pilot Super Sport look very impressive!).

So, check my logic. At the moment I'm thinking I'll keep Pilot Sport A/S 3 on until spring and then have a second summer set which will be either the Pilot Super Sport or the RE11. This way I won't have to sacrifice control during cold weather/ice during cold mornings or late nights.

It's hard not to get the RE11 or Super Sports now as I didn't have or notice any control problems last winter with my summer specified Dunlop SP Sport 01 DSST that came with the car.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:49 PM
afadeev
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Halldor
Thanks for all the advice and recommendations!

I went with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 for the cost/performance balance and winter ability (although Discount Tire said I can switch out and upgrade within 30 days and WOW those ratings on the Pilot Super Sport look very impressive!).

So, check my logic. At the moment I'm thinking I'll keep Pilot Sport A/S 3 on until spring and then have a second summer set which will be either the Pilot Super Sport or the RE11. This way I won't have to sacrifice control during cold weather/ice during cold mornings or late nights.

It's hard not to get the RE11 or Super Sports now as I didn't have or notice any control problems last winter with my summer specified Dunlop SP Sport 01 DSST that came with the car.
The last time I lived in TX, like you do, my summer tire was an R-compound Toyo RA1, and my winter tires were regular summer Michelin's MXX3 (that should tell you how long ago that was ;-).

No car guy I knew in TX would be caught dead driving on all-season tiers. Unless, maybe, if you live in the pen-handle and drive-up to ski in NM/CO.

Are TX-guys getting soft or what ?

a