JCW Dynamic Damper Control on the JCW?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 01:12 PM
niraj36
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dynamic Damper Control on the JCW?

Has anyone ordered the DDC option on their F56 JCW? If so, what are your thoughts on this option.

I am trying to understand if the DDC option on the JCW allows you to firm/soften the firmer JCW suspension. Or do you get the same suspension as the Cooper S but with the ability to adjust? From what I searched around on this board and other sources, it sounds like DDC adds +10/-10% of the base Cooper S suspension, and the JCW is +30% stiffer than the base Cooper S suspension. But is DDC on the JCW +10/-10% of the +30% stiffer suspension?

For those of you who have the DDC option on their JCW, I would like to hear your opinions on this option.

Thanks.

Old 07-22-2015, 02:48 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
I don't have the numbers in front of me, but the DDC on the JCW is the same DDC you get on the Cooper and Cooper S. There is no such thing as a factory "sport DDC", even on the JCW.

Having driven a couple JCW's with DDC [one at the MilesAhead school], the dampers are comfortable but the suspension as a whole seems a bit soft for typical summer tire grip.

Just to be clear, the DDC only adjusts the damper valving based on your switch setting. The springs and swaybars are standard pieces.

The following users liked this post:
John Radford (04-01-2021)
Old 07-22-2015, 04:53 PM
niraj36
Neutral
Thanks for the info. Sounds like a $500 downgrade, which is adjustable :-)

I may stick with the standard JCW suspension and save the cash for other toys.

Old 07-22-2015, 06:24 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
^^^That's exactly the path I took.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:37 PM
acorrea
1st Gear
I have the JCW SS and I'm so glad I made that decision. The suspension feel great and is still more comfortable than my R57 stock suspension but handles really well on the twisties

Old 07-24-2015, 06:24 AM
Zillon
5th Gear
Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts
I will definitely affirm that the stock JCW Sport Suspension feels great - but then again, I haven't sampled a JCW with DDC yet.

Old 07-24-2015, 08:09 AM
blue al
4th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts
A few UK reviewers have given the jcw ddc a thumbs up
Try Evo mag

I have an sd, with ddc but 18" and runflats
I also guess with a limp rear Arb

So far been pleased with the handling,
I will look at improving the camber and a UK rear bar next year

This is coming from a full on r53, so don't discount the ddc if your jcw will be a daily driver

Old 08-10-2015, 07:28 AM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
I'm sure this has been asked before. But can you keep the DDC and change out the springs (and the swaybar) and still take advantage of the softer setting for crappy roads. I have done in 3 tires on my 18" rims in 2 years from pot holes...

Old 08-10-2015, 10:13 AM
F55MidnightBlackCooperS
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Bilstien has a listing in the european catalog for a coilover kit and shocks designed to work with DDC.

The following 2 users liked this post by F55MidnightBlackCooperS:
Steve500 (11-22-2023), TyShawn76 (05-02-2021)
Old 08-10-2015, 03:41 PM
knecht
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GregoryK
I'm sure this has been asked before. But can you keep the DDC and change out the springs (and the swaybar) and still take advantage of the softer setting for crappy roads. I have done in 3 tires on my 18" rims in 2 years from pot holes...
There have been a few threads on this. According to NM you can run the lowering springs with DDC. I have DDC on my JCW and love it. My NM swaybar goes on this weekend.

Old 08-10-2015, 10:53 PM
xpunisherx
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by knecht
There have been a few threads on this. According to NM you can run the lowering springs with DDC. I have DDC on my JCW and love it. My NM swaybar goes on this weekend.
I am considering the sway bar as well. Please let us know if it makes a noticiable difference or not! Look forward to hearing your experience with it.

Old 08-15-2015, 01:32 PM
knecht
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by xpunisherx
I am considering the sway bar as well. Please let us know if it makes a noticiable difference or not! Look forward to hearing your experience with it.
I installed the sway bar today and all went very smooth. It took me just over 2 hours doing it completely by myself and that includes taking a break and cleaning parts under the car . If you can follow instructions and turn a wrench you can install it by yourself. It truly is a one man job.

As for performance, I have it on the softest setting and have no understeer and I pushed it pretty hard today. I'm going to give the mid setting a try just to see what it's like.

Now I really want to lower the car now. I have two options, use the NM Springs with the DDC or disable the DDC and install KW Coilovers. I really like the DDC and according to NM I can install the springs with DDC. Thoughts?

Here's a pick of the stock sway bar and the NM side by side.

Old 08-16-2015, 07:24 AM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Beings as you already have the DDC and NM has springs to lower the car, I think that I'd go that way, rather than changing out the DDC. You paid for this DDC, you had a reason for that, so enjoy the benefits of this DDC. I agree though, that the new f56 needs to be lowered.

Old 08-17-2015, 02:40 PM
caiken
2nd Gear

So, back to the OP's question, does having DDC allow for a softer ride when desired?

Old 08-19-2015, 03:46 AM
xpunisherx
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by knecht
I installed the sway bar today and all went very smooth. It took me just over 2 hours doing it completely by myself and that includes taking a break and cleaning parts under the car . If you can follow instructions and turn a wrench you can install it by yourself. It truly is a one man job.

As for performance, I have it on the softest setting and have no understeer and I pushed it pretty hard today. I'm going to give the mid setting a try just to see what it's like.

Now I really want to lower the car now. I have two options, use the NM Springs with the DDC or disable the DDC and install KW Coilovers. I really like the DDC and according to NM I can install the springs with DDC. Thoughts?

Here's a pick of the stock sway bar and the NM side by side.

It is hard to tell from the picture. Is the NM sway bar thicker/stiffer than the stock bar?

Old 08-19-2015, 04:42 AM
knecht
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by xpunisherx
It is hard to tell from the picture. Is the NM sway bar thicker/stiffer than the stock bar?
They are both 22mm. The only differences are the NM is solid and adjustable and the stock is hollow.

Old 08-19-2015, 01:44 PM
NHcountryman
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by caiken
So, back to the OP's question, does having DDC allow for a softer ride when desired?
There is a set up option - so when you are in sport mode , that can be the stiffest, Mid mode is 10% softer, and Green is 10% again softer....

So result that you Butt feels is a softer ride with squishier handling in green,
Mid mode pretty comfortable on most roads and decent handling and Sport mode on a tough road ..... may need to go to chiropractor for adjustment....

Old 10-24-2015, 01:54 PM
GregoryK
6th Gear
It seems from my research and speaking to Jerry at NM that the lowering spring will work but will somewhat compromise the suspension. The DDC shocks are designed to work with a certain travel and when you shorten it is must compromise the original intent. I wish MINI would release a Pro Sport Suspension for cars with DDC....That would be my dream anyway!

Old 10-24-2015, 02:12 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by caiken
The DDC has two settings and it is only configurable in SPORT:
- 10% softer than the stock suspension (not the sport suspension, which is 30% stiffer) in GREEN/MID modes
- 10% stiffer than stock in SPORT only and again, you can go soft or hard in SPORT. Good for if you want the responsiveness of SPORT but have to deal with crappy roads

The DDC is the same for the Cooper S and the JCW.

Old 10-24-2015, 02:17 PM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Here's a link to a set of KW coilovers they claim work with DDC..

https://www.vividracing.com/catalog/...150899231.html

Thoughts?

Old 10-24-2015, 04:37 PM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Reading up on the above. They say they are for cars with DDC but it is clear that they bypass this feature and have a box that plugs in so you do not get an error code from the DDC unit. You no longer have DDC suspension function with these units.

Old 04-01-2021, 01:47 PM
John Radford
Neutral
Jcw suspension question

Originally Posted by niraj36
Has anyone ordered the DDC option on their F56 JCW? If so, what are your thoughts on this option.

I am trying to understand if the DDC option on the JCW allows you to firm/soften the firmer JCW suspension. Or do you get the same suspension as the Cooper S but with the ability to adjust? From what I searched around on this board and other sources, it sounds like DDC adds +10/-10% of the base Cooper S suspension, and the JCW is +30% stiffer than the base Cooper S suspension. But is DDC on the JCW +10/-10% of the +30% stiffer suspension?

For those of you who have the DDC option on their JCW, I would like to hear your opinions on this option.

Thanks.
Spoiler

Old 04-01-2021, 04:02 PM
///Matthew
3rd Gear
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
I have the DDC on my JCW, however I don't have any seat time in a Cooper S and very limited time in a JCW without DDC.

I wasn't looking for a hardcore suspension, so that why I went with the DDC.

Mid Mode is a nice ride (for my taste) even on the 18" wheels and Sport Mode definitely firm things up without being jarring.

Old 04-02-2021, 12:04 AM
Clutch Wotan
5th Gear
Received 157 Likes on 120 Posts
The DDC is a useless option, you have to have a good setup with alternative suspension. Otherwise DDC can never come to such a solution. and is a further Bling Bling to imitate sporty genes.

Old 04-02-2021, 05:46 AM
KYDan
5th Gear
Received 137 Likes on 90 Posts
I have the DDC on my JCW and I love it for long trips on rough roads. I don't track the JCW as it is my daily driver and it suits me for my needs and it is still fun in the twisties, but honestly for serious twisties I have the GP3 which is much better suited for aggressive driving. Sort of the best solutions for both types of driving.

The following users liked this post:
TyShawn76 (05-02-2021)

Quick Reply: JCW Dynamic Damper Control on the JCW?