JCW Tricked out the engine bay, Shiny w/ Pics

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 10:13 AM
LormaD
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Tricked out the engine bay, Shiny w/ Pics

I have done this in the past, and I love it when everything stays nice and shiny. Aluminum and bare metal does not oxidize. Easy to do, and when done new, it stays new. Check out the pics...

Old 06-30-2016, 12:16 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Looks great, nice job!!!

Drive Hard. Drive Safe. Keep Grinning.

Old 06-30-2016, 12:23 PM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Did you spray the plastic with that stuff?

Old 06-30-2016, 02:58 PM
xsmini
6th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
So you spray paint everything?

Old 06-30-2016, 03:30 PM
LormaD
3rd Gear
Arrow top coat clear finisher...

I have in the past painted my calipers to keep them clean and tidy. And, as an additional protection, you can spray on a coat of Clear (transparent) Caliper Paint.

Prior to receiving my vehicle, I Insisted that nothing be Armor All'ed... So, I made sure to wipe down everything in the engine compartment (brand new vehicle, hence it is pretty much spotless) and took my air compressor to it as well.

I put clean rags over the windshield and fenders etc... and you pretty much just lightly spray the "interior" parts of the engine bay before going over the more obvious areas.

Let it sit over night with the engine bay open to dry.

On the weekend, I plan on pulling off the wheels (I did not get a chance to seal them with High Heat Ceramic sealer) and clear coat the fender wells, brake lines, and exposed metal areas in the front and back fender wells.

Yeah, I am insane, but, I waited SOOOOOO long to get a new toy that I plan on never exposing to the elements to keep it nice and showroom new for a long time.

Oh, and yes, the caliper paint is metal, plastic, aluminum etc paint friendly.

Old 06-30-2016, 05:23 PM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 507 Likes on 419 Posts
Interesting... the caliper paint doesn't flake off or get cloudy on the plastic over time, like several thousands of miles?

Old 06-30-2016, 05:39 PM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Honestly. It maybe just the photos but it looks blotchy. Not even.
I have had good results with Aerospace protectant on the plastic....but the few visible metal parts aren't helped. On my R56 I replaced some rusted bolts after 4 years,

Old 06-30-2016, 06:48 PM
LormaD
3rd Gear
Not the first time...

I have done this before on other vehicles, and have had great results.

The blotchy part was the paint was still fresh and drying at different rates / angles.

Calliper paint is very heat resistant, and bonds well to metal or paint. Like any paint, it needs to be clean in order to bond. It has not flaked off in the past (very light coating), nor has it changed colour over time.

I like to do things that maintain appearance and eliminate work down the road. An ounce of prevention, and proper maintenance that can go towards saving me time and effort (the reason I ceramic coated my paint, rather than going the traditional waxes).

Old 06-30-2016, 07:24 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by LormaD
I have done this before on other vehicles, and have had great results.

The blotchy part was the paint was still fresh and drying at different rates / angles.

Calliper paint is very heat resistant, and bonds well to metal or paint. Like any paint, it needs to be clean in order to bond. It has not flaked off in the past (very light coating), nor has it changed colour over time.

I like to do things that maintain appearance and eliminate work down the road. An ounce of prevention, and proper maintenance that can go towards saving me time and effort (the reason I ceramic coated my paint, rather than going the traditional waxes).
I believe in the value of ceramic coatiing. It is a good investment to protect the paint job.

I am not sure about spraying clear coat over plastic parts and even less on brake calipers.

I restored several classic cars to concours condition over the years but always tried not to go too far on the "over" shiny side to make it fake.