JCW Help, for those with Piano Black interior

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 06:03 AM
LormaD
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Help, for those with Piano Black interior

I have a JCW 2DR HB, with the piano black interior. At first, I thought, cool... PIiiiiano Blaaaack.

Since owning it, I have never been able to clean the interior of the piano black dash, doors, and get a clean look.

I have tried using clean cotton rags, special automotive cloth polishing rag, special german made dash and interior trim cleaner. I have not tried pledge, and I won't dare use windex.

What are others using to keep there piano black trim streak free, that just look clean?

Should I wax the trim pieces ?

Old 08-22-2016, 06:25 AM
prodigue
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1Z Cockpit premium.

You can thank me later.

Old 08-22-2016, 07:07 AM
LormaD
3rd Gear
Not working, but apparently premium stuff.

I have tried this SONAX Dashboard Cleaner

But on the piano black, it streaks.

And this, for protecting the dash

prodigue, do you have Piano Black trim ?

Old 08-22-2016, 07:08 AM
prodigue
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use the 1Z cockpit premium cleaner for all the plastics and vinyl for my interior and it doesn't streak or leave any shine. Just an original clean look.

And yes I have the piano black trim

Old 08-22-2016, 07:16 AM
LormaD
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by prodigue
I use the 1Z cockpit premium cleaner for all the plastics and vinyl for my interior and it doesn't streak or leave any shine. Just an original clean look.

And yes I have the piano black trim
Awesome, will get some for just the piano black trim and use the other stuff for the rest of the interior (it works great, but leave streaks that are visible when light or sun shines off of the piano black trim).

thank you

Old 08-22-2016, 07:51 AM
NellyRod
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I use Meguiar's Interior Detail Wipes. It also comes in a spray bottle, but the wipes are more convenient to leave in the glove box for accidental spills or quick touch ups. Use the wipe to remove dust and fingerprints on the piano black trim, them immediately follow up with a dry microfiber towel. Leaves it looking just like new (no streaks). I also use these on all other interior surfaces. I'm not a fan of a greasy looking interior, and these leave it looking natural.

Attached Thumbnails Help, for those with Piano Black interior-detail-wipes.jpg  
Old 08-22-2016, 08:08 AM
BellaF56
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For vinyl I use the meguiars interior detail spray/wipes (same as above). And for anything that has a painted finish I use the meguias quick detail spray wax, which leaves a nice shine with zero streaking!

Old 08-22-2016, 02:47 PM
toyopet
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use invisible glass to clean the interior windows since they are tinted. When I am done, I wipe down the piano black surface - no scratches and no streaks. I always use microfiber towels.

Old 08-22-2016, 06:54 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by LormaD
I have a JCW 2DR HB, with the piano black interior. At first, I thought, cool... PIiiiiano Blaaaack.

Since owning it, I have never been able to clean the interior of the piano black dash, doors, and get a clean look.

I have tried using clean cotton rags, special automotive cloth polishing rag, special german made dash and interior trim cleaner. I have not tried pledge, and I won't dare use windex.

What are others using to keep there piano black trim streak free, that just look clean?

Use Meguiar's Ultimate Interior Detailer. For less than $8.00, this is the best product you will ever find to remove dust and fingerprints. A mist on a fiber cloth and everything will be gone.

The Piano Black trim is not easy to keep spotless but it is so awesome.

There is even a cheaper alternative with Sprayway Glass Cleaner also at Walmart. It is Ammonia Free, streakless and made in USA. This product is my favorite for cleaning headlamps and windshield from bugs.

Old 08-23-2016, 06:55 AM
Markbett
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try a swifter (the quicker picker-upper)

Old 08-23-2016, 02:11 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,100 Likes on 1,873 Posts
The paino black trim ( Gloss trim ) i have the best thing is to wax it, then dust it. For the soft touch trim, windex and a microfiber towel. For leather, MINI leather cleaner kit.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 08-24-2016, 12:42 PM
Sidewalker
3rd Gear
I had piano black in my CMS, and now in my JCW, I've always just kept a micro fiber towel handy and it's done the trick. Then again, I don't typically have much to clean off...fingerprints and dust are about it.

Old 08-25-2016, 05:27 AM
LormaD
3rd Gear
thanks everyone...

I thought about waxing the piano black trim.... I would need to mask off a lot of the trim area to ensure that no wax gets on the non piano black trim pieces.

This may be a project that I will do over the winter (when my car is in storage).

On my latest trip down to the US of A, I did pick up some Stoner Windshield wipes (ammonia free and window tint safe) and see if they wipe and give a streak free finish when dried.

While there, I also picked up some "cleaner" only based dashboard wipes to keep the interior trim panels clean and if they just touch the piano black trims pieces they will not leave a residue of protection (hence a "wet" mark that looks like a smudge).

Cheers everyone

Old 08-25-2016, 12:07 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
On the High gloss trim. Wax, tape off, then microfiber towel.

Paste waste works the best, spray wax is a pain to apply ( unless you spray on a cloth first) and does not have the thick wax coverage you need for the plastic, think like your A pillars.

https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/Chemical_Guys/

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 08-25-2016, 04:07 PM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
On the High gloss trim. Wax, tape off, then microfiber towel.

Paste waste works the best, spray wax is a pain to apply ( unless you spray on a cloth first) and does not have the thick wax coverage you need for the plastic, think like your A pillars.

https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/Chemical_Guys/
Which wax from CG are you recommending? This seems like mainly t-shirts.

Old 08-26-2016, 10:26 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Click in a couple pages, the Lava Luminous Wax, Butter Wax, and XXX Hardcore Carnauba Paste Wax are good.

Old 08-26-2016, 07:33 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by GregoryK
Which wax from CG are you recommending? This seems like mainly t-shirts.
I am "extra picky" about interior detailing all year around.

NEVER use wax on any trim piece inside a Mini because you will regret to clean up the mess sooner or later.

At the worst, if somebody want to put wax on the gloss black trim without damage or residue to the other surfaces. the best product you can find is Mequiiar's Ultimate Wax. It is expensive but worth every penny.

This is also the only wax I use on my Mini and it never messed with the silly plastic fender trim.

All moisture towels are garbage and a no go.

Old 08-26-2016, 07:55 PM
goin2drt
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by toyopet
I use invisible glass to clean the interior windows since they are tinted. When I am done, I wipe down the piano black surface - no scratches and no streaks. I always use microfiber towels.
I do this. No streaks.

Old 08-27-2016, 06:16 AM
vetsvette
Received 453 Likes on 344 Posts
+1 for the Stoner product and micro fiber towels.

Old 08-29-2016, 03:00 PM
mattkosem
5th Gear
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Sonax brilliant shine detailer seems to clean them up well and keep them looking clean. Weve had 4 MINIs with piano black, and it (or other like products) seem to consistently clean it to a streak free state and resist dust.

--Matt

Old 08-29-2016, 04:31 PM
LormaD
3rd Gear
An exterior finish product?

Originally Posted by mattkosem
Sonax brilliant shine detailer seems to clean them up well and keep them looking clean. Weve had 4 MINIs with piano black, and it (or other like products) seem to consistently clean it to a streak free state and resist dust.

--Matt
Hey Matt, really an exterior finish product? Do you spray a towel or micro finer and then wipe the piano black? Then what, buff till dry?

Old 08-29-2016, 07:23 PM
mattkosem
5th Gear
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Hey Matt, really an exterior finish product? Do you spray a towel or micro finer and then wipe the piano black? Then what, buff till dry?
Yessir. Seems to work great on the shiny stuff, and cleans it well. I spray it into microfiber, wipe it on, and wipe it off. It leaves no streaks or odors, doesn't make a mess on the surrounding surfaces, and seems to add some fingerprint and dust resistance.

--Matt

Old 08-30-2016, 05:41 AM
LormaD
3rd Gear
Red face

Originally Posted by mattkosem
Yessir. Seems to work great on the shiny stuff, and cleans it well. I spray it into microfiber, wipe it on, and wipe it off. It leaves no streaks or odors, doesn't make a mess on the surrounding surfaces, and seems to add some fingerprint and dust resistance.

--Matt
Awesome... I have the dash cleaner version (at the time, the brilliant shine detailer was sold out) from Sonax. It cleans, leave no residue on dash parts, but on the piano black... STREAKS...

I am not into the whole taping off and waxing... with a real wax, unless I have free time to burn.

Old 08-31-2016, 12:43 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
If you are careful and use a towel you might not have to tape it off. I used a piece of paper and inserted between the door and the trim on my R58 with piano black on the door.

Found the hardwax covers the fine swirl marks the piano black dashes like to get.

Old 08-31-2016, 06:23 PM
MiniF55
3rd Gear
Vetsvette, sorry to be off topic. What do you use again for the black (now Ashy grey trim) by the hood of the car. It's where the base of he wipers are (so between the hood and the windshield)

Quick Reply: JCW Help, for those with Piano Black interior