JCW 2020 MINI GP Article

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2019, 06:08 PM
DavidPinAZ
3rd Gear
Received 136 Likes on 87 Posts
Got the email from my dealer today with a link for me to sign up on Friday. Damn straight I'm there. Also, the official Mini press release with the GP3 details:

2020 GP3

306 HP
450Nm (331 ft. lbs)
0-60 in 5.2

The following 2 users liked this post by DavidPinAZ:
Eddie07S (11-20-2019), KYDan (11-19-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 07:01 PM
KYDan
5th Gear
Received 137 Likes on 90 Posts
Thanks for the link. That is the best picture I have seen of it! It is much better looking in that one than the others that I have seen. I am waiting on my second telephone call about it now!

Old 11-20-2019, 01:11 AM
ND40oz
3rd Gear
Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
The MotoringFile article on the first drive of the new JCW Clubman says that "it has revised swivel bearings that allow for improved camber values on the front wheels". Other aspects of the suspension/chassis have been improved too. And of course it has a totally new 8 speed tranny for Mini as well. Sounds like a very different car from the 2019 JCW (engine, tranny, suspension, chassis). I'm interested in hearing from new JCW Clubman owners but there's not much if anything in the Clubman forum.
I don't know if I'd call the 8 speed transmission totally new. It's still a variant of the Aisin AW F8F, BMW/Mini label it the GA8G45AW.

Old 11-20-2019, 08:43 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,203 Likes on 936 Posts
Originally Posted by DavidPinAZ
Got the email from my dealer today with a link for me to sign up on Friday. Damn straight I'm there. Also, the official Mini press release with the GP3 details:

2020 GP3

306 HP
450Nm (331 ft. lbs)
0-60 in 5.2
Thanks for the link!
There is a huge amount of info there. The only thing is they use terms I am not familiar with. Maybe a bit of “press release speak” to make it sound like it is a bit more than it really is? Still, it sounds like they did a lot to the car and it is more than cosmetic and engine tweaks. This should make it really unique, indeed. Great to get the info.

Hey, just a bit of a clarification - the acceleration time is for 0 - 100 kph which is 62 mph. Usually the corresponding 0 - 60 time will be 1 or 2 tenths quicker. So maybe we are looking at a 0 - 60 time of 5 sec flat? Just my guess. I don’t know why I care, and I know it doesn’t make any difference, but it would be nice if the GP3 would break into the 4 sec range...

Originally Posted by ND40oz
I don't know if I'd call the 8 speed transmission totally new. It's still a variant of the Aisin AW F8F, BMW/Mini label it the GA8G45AW.
So the badge on the tranny is new...???

The following users liked this post:
KYDan (11-20-2019)
Old 11-20-2019, 09:02 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Another press release article:
https://www.motor1.com/news/383059/2...oper-works-gp/
They are also thinking 0 - 60 of about 5 sec flat...

KYDan (11-20-2019)
Old 11-20-2019, 09:27 AM
ND40oz
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Eddie07S
So the badge on the tranny is new...???
The 2020 JCW Clubman's trans has been in use for over a year already in the X2 M35i, it's definitely not new.

They don't have the 2020 Clubman in ETK yet but as you can see, the 2020 JCW Countryman and X2 M35i use the exact same part number for their transmission.

https://bimmercat.com/bmw/en/parts/i...4537/appliance

Here's the technical document for the Aisin TU transmission if you want the breakdown of what was updated.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...0&d=1553708460

Old 11-20-2019, 09:38 AM
KYDan
5th Gear
Hecko Pete,

After months of teasers and dribbles and drabs of information, pictures, etc. They have inundated us with a plethora of information, articles, specifications, pictures, videos, and more! Egads, I have gone into information shock of the 10th degree! It will take me days to sort this all out and absorb it. We went out last night to watch Ford Vs. Ferrari and now this barrage of information about the GP, it is sort of surreal at the moment. Track dreams overload or something! Thanks for all the information and links. It is a gloomy rainy day with bright sunshine on the web for me! I am eagerly awaiting my call from mini on Friday! Crap, sort of reminds me of the anticipation of prom night! I sure hope this isn't as disappointing as that event turned out to be!

Old 11-20-2019, 10:29 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by ND40oz
The 2020 JCW Clubman's trans has been in use for over a year already in the X2 M35i, it's definitely not new.

They don't have the 2020 Clubman in ETK yet but as you can see, the 2020 JCW Countryman and X2 M35i use the exact same part number for their transmission.

https://bimmercat.com/bmw/en/parts/i...4537/appliance

Here's the technical document for the Aisin TU transmission if you want the breakdown of what was updated.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...0&d=1553708460
Wow, quite the source of info...

I did note the following stated on page 5 of your second link and I quote:
Mechanical limited slip differential on the front axle integrated in the transmission
Wow, so the GP might actually have a real mechanical LSD?

I also noted that they claim to have life time oil in the thing. Really? Life time? Who’s life time?

Old 11-20-2019, 10:54 AM
ND40oz
3rd Gear
Wow, quite the source of info...

I did note the following stated on page 5 of your second link and I quote:

Wow, so the GP might actually have a real mechanical LSD?

I also noted that they claim to have life time oil in the thing. Really? Life time? Who’s life time?
Yeah, it's a TORSEN limited slip according to some of the reviews, so it shouldn't have anything to wear out like if it was clutch based. As for the lifetime fill, eh, it'll last the lifetime of the extended warranty, after that, all bets are off.

https://www.bmwblog.com/2019/02/20/f...e-a-hot-hatch/

Old 11-20-2019, 02:58 PM
Beemerchef
3rd Gear
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I still wonder and scratch my head how the body of the car itself will be cleaned behind those body fenders [4]. Looks like maybe an inch space in between?

This is what I collect in one run through the mountain roads which surround me!!! [half a day]. The build up behind those fenders sure would be a nightmare...

Old 11-20-2019, 03:35 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
I browsed the MF release article about the GP3 today. I'm sure it's the official Mini release. Sounds like the GP3 and the 2020 Clubman/Countryman JCW share the same engine, transmission, brakes, and suspension. The GP is lowered 10mm (less the 1/2"). The black fenders are "carbon fiber reinforced plastic". It's only 22 lbs lighter than the regular Mini model. FWIW.

Old 11-20-2019, 03:41 PM
Beemerchef
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
I browsed the MF release article about the GP3 today. I'm sure it's the official Mini release. Sounds like the GP3 and the 2020 Clubman/Countryman JCW share the same engine, transmission, brakes, and suspension. The GP is lowered 10mm (less the 1/2"). The black fenders are "carbon fiber reinforced plastic". It's only 22 lbs lighter than the regular Mini model. FWIW.
The whole thing to me seems too much like "afterthoughts"... Not truly thrilled. I would still pick my 2018 JCW with all its handling mods pushing close to 300hp. Of course that is just an opinion! It is paid for!!!

MikeMJCW (11-20-2019)
Old 11-20-2019, 07:43 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Beemerchef
The whole thing to me seems too much like "afterthoughts"... Not truly thrilled. I would still pick my 2018 JCW with all its handling mods pushing close to 300hp. Of course that is just an opinion! It is paid for!!!
I don't understand where is the thrill to buy something that is so out of design balance and proportions than this (inside and out). I would simply be embarrassed to own and drive one.

It seems to have been built from recycling parts bins. I am sure that many of them will stay on the dealer lots for a very long time considering the asking price.

Old 11-20-2019, 08:00 PM
Beemerchef
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by dube53
I don't understand where is the thrill to buy something that is so out of design balance and proportions than this (inside and out). I would simply be embarrassed to own and drive one.

It seems to have been built from recycling parts bins. I am sure that many of them will stay on the dealer lots for a very long time considering the asking price.
I was being diplomatic! You said it better than me...

Some will however buy it [as many other things sold...] only because "it is what it is"...

Old 11-20-2019, 08:49 PM
J_L
5th Gear
Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts
Ok, back from the show! A lot of cool stuff, but of course the GP at the top of my personal list. Had a chance to poke around the car. Got a bit more info from a Mini rep, riding on the coat tails of Ben from Mini Torque. A few items myself and others have wondered about:

-You can get it with or without an options package. The package includes such things as AC and navi. Not sure the totality of the list, but something like that. No other options, and it's one complete package, not separate choices.

-Suspension is not adjustable, at all. Height, dampening, front camber... none of it. But all those areas have been revised, and she stressed that they worked very hard to get it just right on the Nurburgring. To my eye it looked like about 1 to 1.25 degrees in the front.

-Price said to be $45k. Gotta imagine that's before the upgrade package.

And some iPhone pics!

225/35-18. These are 200 UTQG, and according to the rep, you will be able to buy a semi-slick racing tire from the dealer too.

Over-fenders come out about an inch. Seem to attach to the same clip points as the rest of them. Some kind of unique CF outer shell over a plastic structure.

One thing I was surprised about- the GP logo is a slightly different color than the red accents found all over the car. The accents are Chilli Red. But the GP is something else- slightly more orange, slightly faded.

Another shot that shows well the difference in the logo color and the red. According to the rep, the wing does produce downforce- an important note that doesn't appear in the press release. This based on the philosophy from Mini (and BMW in general) that you only add something if it does something. Nothing is purely cosmetic.

And tiny rubber lips on the spoiler... a little extra downforce I guess!

Nice view of the strut tower. Looks the same as the one in the Clubman. The rep said something about reinforced strut towers- I was picturing heavier material there, but now I'm thinking she meant that the tower bar performs that function.

Press kit! All it is is M&Ms, but a QR code on the back goes to the very long press release.

This bar is supposedly not actually structural; its purpose is to satisfy some cargo safety rule. It's just behind the seats, not between the strut towers. Not intended for a harness either.

Steering wheel top-center mark. Aluminum, or maybe 3d printed, didn't look super closely at it.

Same material on the shift paddles.

Couldn't figure out if there was a sport view or something like that. Didn't find a sport button anywhere. The screen mode button on left stalk only changed tiny details like distance to empty. Forgot to ask rep for more detail.

Red belts!! Would have loved red webbing door pulls, but they were standard items. Good place to also mention that the seats seem to be the same as JCW.

Verrrry interesting- chassis reinforcement. Looks like the same points that the Cravenspeed Big Pair would fit to. Probably fits on any of our cars. Didn't see anything like this in front.

More under the rear. Arms look standard.

Under the front.

Bye!

The following 3 users liked this post by J_L:
2017All4 (11-21-2019), KYDan (11-21-2019), MikeMJCW (11-21-2019)
Old 11-20-2019, 09:40 PM
Beemerchef
3rd Gear
Definitely a "cheap" engine cross bar looking hollow... Bad Pop-Corn welding! Me no Pro or Mechanic for that matter but I will stick to my NM Engineering tie bar and the Cravenspeed Big Pair...
The whole thing looks like all pieces put together from "afterthoughts"... I guess no cleaning/waxing/sealing allowed between those fenders? Unless they pop out somehow?
I am also personally so tired of the generic looking digital screens!
As this trend is going on, I have no doubt I will keep my 2018 JCW for a long time.

I have no doubt as half of the 3000 are already sold, they are only for the name sake...

************************************************** *****************NOT!***************************** ***********************************************

Old 11-21-2019, 04:55 AM
KYDan
5th Gear
Thanks JL for all the pictures. I am anticipating my phone call tomorrow.

Old 11-21-2019, 05:39 AM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts
I would love to talk to the design team who managed to put together that fabulous concept GP3 and simply ask “what in hell happened?”

My bet is the bean counters screwed everything up!

I just can’t get over how this new GP looks like a lot of add-ons and afterthoughts using a stock JCW.

I’m sure they will he fast and I’d probably love driving one, but I’m just still conflicted about the overall design.

One thing they got right is the tire size....stock hatch JCWs need wider tires!

Last edited by 02fanatic; 11-21-2019 at 06:00 AM.
Old 11-21-2019, 05:41 AM
JKo
3rd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Why oh why couldn't they just make it a proper widebody instead of those spats [sic]...

Not sure if this has been posted here already: https://www.mini.co.uk/content/dam/M...lyer%20V05.pdf

Old 11-21-2019, 05:43 AM
KYDan
5th Gear
The mode switch appears to be in the same location as the one in my F56 JCW.

The mode selector is the same as the one in my JCW

Old 11-21-2019, 06:15 AM
DavidPinAZ
3rd Gear
Received 136 Likes on 87 Posts
I think it's absolutely amazing and can't wait to hopefully get mine! I'll probably remove that load bar in the back and try to find/build some sort of shelf to level out the rear cargo area (if it doesn't come with one). Gotta tote the dogs around, y'know? Anyway, Hell YES!!

KYDan (11-21-2019)
Old 11-21-2019, 07:26 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Thanks for the wonderful picture post from the LA show...

I find it better the more pictures I see of it. It is growing on me, much like the F56, which I really didn’t like when I first saw it...

And having a real tach in front of me, even if it is electronic, is far better than what my JCW has now, which I have a lot of trouble reading.

Old 11-21-2019, 07:57 AM
Beemerchef
3rd Gear
Thanks for the wonderful picture post from the LA show...

I find it better the more pictures I see of it. It is growing on me, much like the F56, which I really didn’t like when I first saw it...

And having a real tach in front of me, even if it is electronic, is far better than what my JCW has now, which I have a lot of trouble reading.
It is the reason I love my "heads up" display...

First time I get to see "behind" those Carbon Fiber fenders which is made out of "pressed left over carbon fiber residues" [quote]. So, the car surface itself will never be cleaned/waxed/sealed... After years of usage I can only imagine what is going to be lodged in between and how bad the "real" surface is going to be dull and worn out...

As I also quote "They have no aerodynamic purpose, only there because of increased width...". No options of driving modes whatsoever...

But, all is taste... opinions... half of them are already sold! Some like it, some buy it only "because...".

Old 11-21-2019, 08:49 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Beemerchef
It is the reason I love my "heads up" display...
Is that the MINI HUD? From what I have read, I couldn’t find that the MINI one would do the tach function on its own. I did see a post showing how to code the tach function into the ECU through the Bimmer App. I find that somewhat painful on MINI’s part.

Old 11-21-2019, 09:07 AM
Beemerchef
3rd Gear
Is that the MINI HUD? From what I have read, I couldn’t find that the MINI one would do the tach function on its own. I did see a post showing how to code the tach function into the ECU through the Bimmer App. I find that somewhat painful on MINI’s part.
I have never used the Bimmer app. My heads up display always shows the speed, tach [without numbers] and gear in. Phone calls and text messages. Title of songs playing...
That is in SPORT mode which is the only mode I have ever driven for 30K this JCW. The only mod I have done was to disconnect the Bluetooth flap so it is always open. I only drive Mountain roads with this car and drive slow leaving or coming home! Which actually is very good for the engine which has been flawless...

Quick Reply: JCW 2020 MINI GP Article