Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2019, 07:42 PM
erik500002
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
On the same boat

Originally Posted by bradstyle
Nope. Impatiently waiting.
Same here, I placed a pre-order online on 11/22 my dealership in El Paso, TX reached out to me saying they would reach back in December for options but nothing yet.

Old 12-20-2019, 06:49 AM
DavidPinAZ
3rd Gear
Received 136 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by KYDan
I thought I read somewhere in my cyber travels that we were supposed to order the GP this month, December, for delivery sometime next year. I think the delivery was to begin possibly in late March. Have any of you heard anything from mini about the actual delivery time frame?
From what I've gathered, those dates are for Europe. Mini hasn't said anything regarding the US, and I haven't heard anything except this:

For those who don't twit, @miniusa said:

Production of the 2021 MINI GP will begin in March 2020, and be available for delivery shortly after. Stay tuned for more information in early 2020!

The following users liked this post:
KYDan (12-20-2019)
Old 12-26-2019, 10:56 AM
kfmuller
4th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts
Ready

These came in today. Now I just need the car.

The following 2 users liked this post by kfmuller:
Andy_S (01-24-2020), Kev Spiers (12-26-2019)
Old 12-26-2019, 11:04 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,203 Likes on 936 Posts
Nice!

Old 12-26-2019, 04:21 PM
MINIwuff
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks Good!

The GREAT news is that all U.S. Spec 2021 John Cooper Works GP models will be delivered with the new BLACK belt line band. The GP will be the first factory MINI with this option.

Old 12-28-2019, 06:02 AM
DavidPinAZ
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MINIwuff
Looks Good!

The GREAT news is that all U.S. Spec 2021 John Cooper Works GP models will be delivered with the new BLACK belt line band. The GP will be the first factory MINI with this option.
That's the first I've heard that little bit of info, which would be awesome if true!!! Where is your info coming from, if you don't mind my asking?

KYDan (12-28-2019)
Old 12-28-2019, 09:33 AM
Kev Spiers
1st Gear
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
This is the UK spec sheet, and says “Piano Black Exterior with extended content: bonnet scoop, MINI badges, headlight and rear light surround, grille surround, door handles and fuel filler cap”

That said the press release photos have black and silver belt lines, my dealers seems convinced it’s black.

Hope this helps?

Attached Files
Old 12-28-2019, 09:48 AM
SFMCS
4th Gear
Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
Just picked up brochure at dealer yesterday:

“Exterior color available: Racing grey metallic body silver roof and mirror caps”

Old 01-01-2020, 06:19 AM
KYDan
5th Gear
Received 137 Likes on 90 Posts
Minis marketing tactics are bizarre and frustrating! Oh well, happy new year everyone!

Old 01-01-2020, 06:35 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Happy GP New Year...

Old 01-15-2020, 02:47 PM
DavidPinAZ
3rd Gear
New video out with some new (I think) info. The front wheels are 225 wide and it definitely looks like the belt line is blacked out!!

Old 01-15-2020, 03:31 PM
bradstyle
2nd Gear
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
AWESOME VIDEO.

No Parking Distance Control Sensors. That's a bummer.

Old 01-16-2020, 05:53 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
I like how they talk about as being the quickest “hatch” 0 - 100 kph; the Clubman JCW All4 is quicker....

Yes, I know, the GP will be a better track monster...

As for the video, this is probably the best one yet of the car. They show it really well (editing could have been better by not being so choppy). Its looks are “growing” on me, even the fenders and the red lipstick. They point out GP unique things like the exhaust pipes, adjustable camber and strut tower brace, all of which might be fun to retrofit to my JCW. And did I spy a unique air intake for the engine? The one thing that kind-of surprises me was the rear diffuser; I think the JCW Pro diffuser looks better and looks to be more functional (that is purely a guess). I really like the interior, especially the instrument panel. At least the driver of a GP gets a tach that is readable...

I am curious about the tires. Specially designed for the MINI GP? Fun, but sounds expensive. I wonder how much different those are as compared to the RE71Rs, or the new Yokohama’s.

Well, I think those of you who get one will be very happy with it.

Old 01-16-2020, 06:05 AM
KYDan
5th Gear
With all the hype and marketing ploys surrounding the GP3 it has a lot to live up to the claims. Hopefully, it will. I am impatiently waiting for solid information about when we will be notified if we get one or not. It appears there will be an adequate supply for those of us that sent in our deposit. I want to see one in person at the earliest opportunity available in bright sunlight, so I can judge for myself how it really looks. I don't think there is an doubt about it being the best performing mini built to-date. I am really looking forward to driving it to and on the Tail of the Dragon, and the other great roads in the area. I hope it arrives before the MOTD! We also plan on a trip to the Devil's Triangle as well, it is not as good as the Tail of the Dragon, but it is a fun road withe some incredible switchbacks and some chain twisties you can take at speed. I am anxious to see how well it will hang in there with our Subaru WRX STI buddies. That will be the real test for us. We are also looking forward to some track time as well. We are keeping our F56 JCW as it is such fun, yet practical daily driver.

Old 01-16-2020, 09:50 AM
Nachtsturm
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know I am late to the party, went to Mini USA website to look at pricing of the Countryman. Then got completely distracted by this GP on the site last night. Cannot believe I did not hear of this previously.I was ecstatic, I currently own a 2015 V60 Polestar, and was like this is it. I love my Polestar, but 300+HP mini, was like a dream come true, and it just looks wild. Then I saw the deposit option was still available.

Before I made the deposit, I then had a thought of dread, please let it not be automatic only, as I tried to persuade myself, "the last two were manual." Then my dread became a reality confirmed after a quick search.

Yes, times are changing, and I am sure it has been beaten to death, but man I wish this came in a manual. I was ready. Such a let down.

pjsjr13 (01-17-2020)
Old 01-16-2020, 11:48 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Nachtsturm
I know I am late to the party, went to Mini USA website to look at pricing of the Countryman. Then got completely distracted by this GP on the site last night. Cannot believe I did not hear of this previously.I was ecstatic, I currently own a 2015 V60 Polestar, and was like this is it. I love my Polestar, but 300+HP mini, was like a dream come true, and it just looks wild. Then I saw the deposit option was still available.

Before I made the deposit, I then had a thought of dread, please let it not be automatic only, as I tried to persuade myself, "the last two were manual." Then my dread became a reality confirmed after a quick search.

Yes, times are changing, and I am sure it has been beaten to death, but man I wish this came in a manual. I was ready. Such a let down.
Not sure how much of this thread you have read, but this post of mine may help:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post4506204

I too am a diehard MT person, but I also found that the MINI AT with the paddle shifters is rally good. I would suggest trying one before discounting the GP. The one I tried was in a Countryman S.

Old 01-16-2020, 11:58 AM
DavidPinAZ
3rd Gear
I'm in 100% agreement with @Eddie07S . I'm a die hard manual guy also. I made my dealership bring in my current MCS from out of state because of it. I've never owned an auto car...ever. However, the automatics in the current mini's is really, *really* good. I'm actually looking forward to getting this particular one....Assuming MiniUSA gets off it's butt and starts confirming orders, lol!

Old 01-16-2020, 02:58 PM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts
My 2015 F56 JCW was one of the very first MT JCW's produced and I'm still glad I waited for the manual! I don't drive it that much but when I do it definitely makes me be "more involved" in the driving experience over an auto trans car "regardless" of how good it is! I drive our 2015 Countryman S All4 most of the time and it's way easier to drive with the auto, even in sport mode with the paddles. The manual transmission will always demand more driver input imo, and that's not a bad thing because there is so much more to driving than just being fast! I must be more of a purist than most! LOL! For the sake of you guys who ordered the GP3 I really really hope you like it....especially Dan...he's been through too much with his MINI dealer closing and all.....fingers crossed the wait is worth it! Having wider tires and wheels on the F56 JCW would be really great and that's one thing the GP3 has addressed apparently!

KYDan (01-24-2020)
Old 01-16-2020, 04:52 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Fully agree! A manual transmission does engage the driver.

But, cars have always progressed to make things easier for drivers. Synchros came along and made shifting easier; no more need to double clutch when downshifting. I know that one as my MGA had no synchro in second (it died), and it needed double clutching to go around corners. Now we have rev matching; no more need for heel and toe. And that has been surpassed really good automatics, double clutch transmissions and paddle shifters.

From my experience, the paddle shifters are really only good for running on the track or running hard on some twisty roads otherwise they are redundant with what the computer can do. The GP, being a track car, it should do well with the paddle shifters.

Old 01-17-2020, 12:56 AM
Clutch Wotan
5th Gear
Received 157 Likes on 120 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Eddie07S
I like how they talk about as being the quickest “hatch” 0 - 100 kph; the Clubman JCW All4 is quicker....

Yes, I know, the GP will be a better track monster...

As for the video, this is probably the best one yet of the car. They show it really well (editing could have been better by not being so choppy). Its looks are “growing” on me, even the fenders and the red lipstick. They point out GP unique things like the exhaust pipes, adjustable camber and strut tower brace, all of which might be fun to retrofit to my JCW. And did I spy a unique air intake for the engine? The one thing that kind-of surprises me was the rear diffuser; I think the JCW Pro diffuser looks better and looks to be more functional (that is purely a guess). I really like the interior, especially the instrument panel. At least the driver of a GP gets a tach that is readable...

I am curious about the tires. Specially designed for the MINI GP? Fun, but sounds expensive. I wonder how much different those are as compared to the RE71Rs, or the new Yokohama’s.

Well, I think those of you who get one will be very happy with it.
this car is 1:1 F40, what makes a retro 4WD setup very easy, lots of tweaks possible, I sign next week, the official order, and have been told, that some more info might be available (Delivery Dates)
The car is ordered spartan lean, and will be a fun to mod 9 inch are set, or 9.5 ?

Old 01-24-2020, 07:34 AM
KYDan
5th Gear
It now appears that the GP will not be available in time for the MOTD event this year which is a bummer for us, but we have always had a great time at the event for 8 years in a row and this one should not be any different, but I sure would have liked to try out and show of the new GP. The little bugger better be all they say it is after all the hype and the price! As always the old adage applies, "the proof is in the pudding".

Old 01-24-2020, 07:47 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
There is a song that comes to mind...

KYDan (01-25-2020)
Old 01-24-2020, 05:16 PM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts
Ha, Good one!

Be patient Dan, I'm sure it will all work out for you! Just love and detail the snot out of your JCW in the meantime. It will feel like the black sheep once the GP3 arrives no doubt.

KYDan (01-25-2020)
Old 01-25-2020, 09:30 PM
KYDan
5th Gear
GP 3 walk around video

Here is a link to the GP that I think is at the Vienna Auto Show. The fellow taking the video and talking about the GP is not very knowledgeable about it, but there is a good look inside and outside of the GP3. I have not seen this before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JeM...efjf28MPYKtnsM

Old 01-26-2020, 05:29 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
No Econo mode switch...
But they kept the auto-start switch.
That must be mandated?

And I was at first surprised to see the fog light switch, until I realized that was for the rear fog lights that the Euro version uses.

I like all of the blackout stuff, but the belt line is still chrome. That should be black, as it also should be for the general MINI black-out option. I like the silver/gray mirror covers. The seat look really good. But I wonder if the cover material may be a little iffy over time, if it has a suede-like finish as it looks like in the video. It may be hard to keep clean...

Overall, the car’s looks continue to grow on me.

KYDan (01-26-2020)

Quick Reply: JCW 2020 MINI GP Article