JCW 2020 MINI GP Article

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2020, 09:39 AM
Kev Spiers
1st Gear
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
I saw one for the first time today and not disappointed in any way. The rear spoiler fits and doesn’t dominate like in the videos, wide angle lenses have a lot to answer for. The spats/flaps what ever you want to call them and good, however I am sure cleaning in and around with be a PITA.

Just need a delivery date now

Old 01-26-2020, 09:46 AM
KYDan
5th Gear
Received 137 Likes on 90 Posts
Originally Posted by Kev Spiers
I saw one for the first time today and not disappointed in any way. The rear spoiler fits and doesn’t dominate like in the videos, wide angle lenses have a lot to answer for. The spats/flaps what ever you want to call them and good, however I am sure cleaning in and around with be a PITA.

Just need a delivery date now
Where did you see it?

Old 01-26-2020, 09:58 AM
Kev Spiers
1st Gear
Mini show in Stafford UK.

Old 01-26-2020, 11:43 AM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts
I liked the video link above. I agree with Eddie07S that the belt line trim being black would look better...that's perplexing why they left it chrome when you can now opt for black line trim when ordering, as I recall seeing. The red seat belts are a nice touch. I know the overall general design highlights are meant to follow suit with prior GP generations, however there are a couple other things I believe would look better: Different wheels - the 4 spokes just don't seem to fit this larger GP, and maybe 19" would be better; the gray color with silver roof....it's fine really, but wouldn't black on this car look more "awesome"? :-); I do like the wider tires....much more befitting than the skinny stock tires on the JCW! I'd like to see what the digital dash gauges look like...I hope it has a proper tachometer size & placement. I still would love to see a 6-speed manual transmission in there as well! :-)

Old 01-26-2020, 12:30 PM
DavidPinAZ
3rd Gear
Received 136 Likes on 87 Posts
I think the car they are currently showing is the base model without the add-on package (AC, CarPlay, etc). At least according to the below video. :

The following users liked this post:
KYDan (01-26-2020)
Old 01-29-2020, 05:06 AM
sbpwjm
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there a general 2020 JCW GP thread on the forum here? I did some searches and could not find it. I know they opened it up in November, first to GP owners, then Mini owners and then wide open. Anyway know how the reservations are going? Sold out? I heard 500-ish to the United States.

Old 01-29-2020, 07:55 AM
KYDan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by sbpwjm
Is there a general 2020 JCW GP thread on the forum here? I did some searches and could not find it. I know they opened it up in November, first to GP owners, then Mini owners and then wide open. Anyway know how the reservations are going? Sold out? I heard 500-ish to the United States.
Mini seems to be playing this close to the vest, but it appears there will be an adequate supply from everything that I have been able to find out about it on the internet. I pre ordered one with some glitches, but it appears that I will have the opportunity to purchase one when they become available. There is no clearly defined date when they will be available in the U. S., but it appears that most likely it will be early summer this year and they will be a 2021 year model.

Old 01-29-2020, 10:01 AM
mountainhorse
6th Gear
Received 316 Likes on 231 Posts
I'm a bit strange.... I know... but I'd love to get this car and 'tame' it a bit... get rid of the big spoiler on the back in favor of a normal JCW, switch to regular fenders without the 'spats' and black out the lower front brake duct 'fish lips' .... and put on some nice BBS wheels... Of course wrapping and preserving the removed originals.

The following 2 users liked this post by mountainhorse:
J_L (01-30-2020), Minnie.the.Moocher (01-29-2020)
Old 01-29-2020, 10:33 AM
KYDan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by mountainhorse
I'm a bit strange.... I know... but I'd love to get this car and 'tame' it a bit... get rid of the big spoiler on the back in favor of a normal JCW, switch to regular fenders without the 'spats' and black out the lower front brake duct 'fish lips' .... and put on some nice BBS wheels... Of course wrapping and preserving the removed originals.

Why not after all if you plunk down your money it is your car and you can do whatever you want with it. I am keeping my slightly modified JCW and hopefully using it as my daily driver for a long time. It is a superb street auto that can provide a spirited twisty mobile any time I want by engaging sport mode and opening the exhaust flaps. The GP3 will be my MOTD and some of the other roads in the best twisting area in the US. The JCW is a much more comfortable ride than the GP (I have the dynamic dampers), but for twisting I hope to rival the Subaru STSs. You could have a lot of fun in a "sleeper"! The GP with the OEM look will not be a stealth mobile.

Old 01-29-2020, 11:15 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by KYDan
Why not after all if you plunk down your money it is your car and you can do whatever you want with it. I am keeping my slightly modified JCW and hopefully using it as my daily driver for a long time. It is a superb street auto that can provide a spirited twisty mobile any time I want by engaging sport mode and opening the exhaust flaps. The GP3 will be my MOTD and some of the other roads in the best twisting area in the US. The JCW is a much more comfortable ride than the GP (I have the dynamic dampers), but for twisting I hope to rival the Subaru STSs. You could have a lot of fun in a "sleeper"! The GP with the OEM look will not be a stealth mobile.
I agree. The GT doesn't offer anything importantly better than the new JCW Clubman other than a different (more track car like) look. And no back seat either. I haven't had a back seat in my Mini since 2014 but I'd like it on occasion. So it's a cool looking Mini but it's not for me. I'll pay the extra $$ for the Clubman later this year when it gets the new gauge cluster.

Old 01-29-2020, 01:57 PM
mountainhorse
6th Gear
Wondering if MINI will get a manual gear box in 2021... and offer us a 301 HP 2021 2-door/hatch JCW version.

That engine is tempting... I'm just not ready for an auto box and 4 doors nor a baby seat... The GP would be nice if not all "pimped' out by the factory.

Local guy with a nice JCW said he has a 2021 on order and all the parts to tame it down as well... He's going with some nice custom HRE wheels.

Old 01-29-2020, 03:04 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,203 Likes on 936 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
I agree. The GT doesn't offer anything importantly better than the new JCW Clubman other than a different (more track car like) look. And no back seat either. I haven't had a back seat in my Mini since 2014 but I'd like it on occasion. So it's a cool looking Mini but it's not for me. I'll pay the extra $$ for the Clubman later this year when it gets the new gauge cluster.
The GP offers a suspension and a real LSD that isn’t offered in the Clubman. It is also quite a bit lighter than the Clubman. So, in terms of a “track” car, the GP will be more than “just looks” over the Clubman. The JCW All4 Clubman will be a really good boulevard street racer, better than the GP, but the GP should have it all over the Clubman in the twisties or on the track.

KYDan (01-30-2020)
Old 01-29-2020, 05:25 PM
mountainhorse
6th Gear
Exactly why a 'Tamer appearing" GP would work well for me..... If it were me.... Chili Roof on Racing-Gray, with the JCW-model roof spoiler and JCW-model Front bumper... so long as cooling would fit. Again... carefully packing the GP3 bits.... and painting the JCW stuff to match.

That ...or... The front bumper from the JCW clubbie if that would fit/work... I think that looks better than all of the 2020 front bumpers !!

And base/oxford model tail lights ( )

SACRILEGE I know !!

Reminds me of the 'Fish Lips" on the old Jag XKE's

Originally Posted by Eddie07S
The GP offers a suspension and a real LSD that isn’t offered in the Clubman. It is also quite a bit lighter than the Clubman. So, in terms of a “track” car, the GP will be more than “just looks” over the Clubman. The JCW All4 Clubman will be a really good boulevard street racer, better than the GP, but the GP should have it all over the Clubman in the twisties or on the track.

Last edited by mountainhorse; 01-29-2020 at 06:21 PM.
Old 01-29-2020, 06:51 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Exactly why a 'Tamer appearing" GP would work well for me..... If it were me.... Chili Roof on Racing-Gray, with the JCW-model roof spoiler and JCW-model Front bumper... so long as cooling would fit. Again... carefully packing the GP3 bits.... and painting the JCW stuff to match.

That ...or... The front bumper from the JCW clubbie if that would fit/work... I think that looks better than all of the 2020 front bumpers !!

And base/oxford model tail lights ( )

SACRILEGE I know !!

=13.33px
You have just hit upon the very nature of MINIs... Make them your own. IMHO no sacrilege here... And a lot of what this thread has been about is the likes and dislikes of the GP 3 styling. Through the pages of this thread there have been some interesting renditions of what some think the GP should look like. Even posts of doing a wrap on them. That is what makes this discussion so interesting to me; reading about what others think about what MINI has done with the GP.

mountainhorse (01-29-2020)
Old 01-30-2020, 06:03 AM
KYDan
5th Gear
I was in the camp that thought the first views of the GP3 was fugly, however, it has grown on me and some of the more recent pictures have really made it more appealing. I am withholding judgement on what I will do to make it my own after I pick it up. I have considered a wrap and may still do that as it will protect the OEM paint underneath, and as much backroad driving I do that is a big plus. However, if it looks as good as some of the images I have seen lately I may just have a clear wrap put on it for protection. I am also anxious to hear how it performs from purchasers. Hopefully, some of the European/Britain purchasers that have it will shed some real world light on it before they are available in the U.S.

Old 01-30-2020, 06:13 AM
Fooj GP
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Eddie07S
Thats not true, Any mini/ BMW that is coming with this engine is getting the same trans and LSD. Ive been looking up any info i can about this "new package" drive train that mini is using it is the same thing across the line. Look up 2020 BMW x2 35i, its basically a GP in a SUV body kinda makes me not want the car as much as before knowing that the GP package is found in a run of the mill SUV. Yes i know the mini is small and lighter so it will drive differently i just wish they created something special for this car only, the manual trans would've done that.

mountainhorse (01-30-2020)
Old 01-30-2020, 08:05 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Fooj GP
Thats not true, Any mini/ BMW that is coming with this engine is getting the same trans and LSD. Ive been looking up any info i can about this "new package" drive train that mini is using it is the same thing across the line. Look up 2020 BMW x2 35i, its basically a GP in a SUV body kinda makes me not want the car as much as before knowing that the GP package is found in a run of the mill SUV. Yes i know the mini is small and lighter so it will drive differently i just wish they created something special for this car only, the manual trans would've done that.
I stand corrected...

Based on this article the current JCW Clubman does have a mechanical LSD.

The MINI web/build page is horrible. I looked on it to see what comes as part of the Clubman JCW option and it had nothing that I could find about it having a mechanical LSD. But it did have plenty to say about the touch screen nav system that you can futz with while motoring along your favorite twisty road. And people wonder why the manual transmission is disappearing. People don’t care about “driving” any more...

Old 01-30-2020, 09:13 AM
mountainhorse
6th Gear
So...Quick question...

If someone were so inclined...Would it be possible to put this Clubman-JCW bumper assembly below onto a GP3 and still keep the GP3 grille ?

Old 01-30-2020, 10:17 AM
Kev Spiers
1st Gear
So...Quick question...

If someone were so inclined...Would it be possible to put this Clubman-JCW bumper assembly below onto a GP3 and still keep the GP3 grille ?

i would say so, however you will need to open up the side vents for the cooling on the GP

Old 01-30-2020, 10:24 AM
mountainhorse
6th Gear
Sincere question.... What are you meaning by 'side vents' ??

Old 01-30-2020, 11:45 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Sincere question.... What are you meaning by 'side vents' ??

In your picture, under the headlight and to the right of the center grill. I know the JCW has an additional radiator in there, which should be the same or similar in the GP.

There may be substructure differences. I seem to remember looking at putting the JCW front bumper on my 2012 S and found there was a change in hardware in there. That could be the case here.

Old 01-30-2020, 11:54 AM
mountainhorse
6th Gear
What I am really crossing my finger for is a solid 6-speed, 301HP JCW Hardtop 2-door hatch for 2021.... hopefully with ALL4.
Up the interior game some real leather, power-seat-base Recaro Sportster CS JCW seats and the digital gauge....

THAT is the car MINI needs to make...for me to spend $50k out the door on a car.

J_L (02-03-2020)
Old 01-30-2020, 01:16 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
‘Tis to dream...

However, I think you have a better chance of seeing a MINI SE ALL4 with 300+ hp instead...

Old 01-30-2020, 04:30 PM
DavidPinAZ
3rd Gear
Received 136 Likes on 87 Posts
Took my MCS in for some pre-track day service today and found some new-to-me information on the GP. You may have seen/heard it before, but I haven't.
1). The North American version will only come in one trim. A/C and the nav package with CarPlay is there by default.
2) According to my dealership, there are still some GP's available, although they didn't have an exact number.
3) They might not be here until Q3 :(
4) According to MiniUSA, the GP will have 301hp, not 306 as MiniUK is saying (see attached)
5) The actual 0-60 time is 5.0s flat. This is the first I've seen a 0-60, everything else has been 0-100kph (0-62mph). Time to hunt some Type R's on the track

Anyway, I'd take 1 thru 3 above with a grain of salt until there are official announcements. But, I've attached a promo flier my dealer had that has the 2 specs I mentioned (4 & 5)

sbpwjm (01-31-2020)
Old 01-30-2020, 09:30 PM
Clutch Wotan
5th Gear
Received 157 Likes on 120 Posts

I like to see you new fenders to cover the 40mm wider track, the removal of the rear spoiler will cost you top speed. What else ?

China got 600 units, the earliest delivery in Germany I heard of is calendar week 13, mine was advised end of April and will have 0666 as number !

J_L (02-03-2020)

Quick Reply: JCW 2020 MINI GP Article