JCW 2020 MINI GP Article

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2020, 10:49 PM
mountainhorse
6th Gear
Received 316 Likes on 231 Posts
Looks NICE !!!

What engine and trans are they using?

The rear looks a bit like some of the old Group-B stuff from Renault and MG. What kind of money are we talking there?
How would it sized up in the end against a Megane or the GR4?

Changing out the factory engine would make it a mess to register on the street... but makes for a nice track car for sure !!

Is that what the XiteRacing car is based on ?

Old 02-19-2020, 09:03 AM
DavidPinAZ
3rd Gear
Received 136 Likes on 87 Posts
So, being annoyed at the lack of info, I figured I'd go straight to the source. I contacted MiniUSA via their webform with a bunch of technical questions ( mostly that would probably only relate to me) and to vent my frustration with the lack of info. Unsurprisingly, my technical questions were not answered. However, here's what I sent regarding the lack of info:
And now my frustration: I put my deposit down on Nov 22 (I own a 2019 3 door S, with almost all the JCW bits added). The amount of information that's been forthcoming about this car has been extremely anemic. I understand the Electric mini is all the rage, but some of us are out of this world excited about the GP! From the marketing materials, shipments in the US should be "later spring", but we haven't even gotten confirmation or ordering details or build dates, and it's mid Feb. Can MiniUSA please start giving us information? Even just estimates? I'm begging...Please
And their reply:

In regards to your inquiry about the confirmation for the new MINI John Cooper Works GP reservations, MINI USA does have a process in place for confirmation of these orders. After the order has been verified and your reservation has been validated by your authorized MINI dealer, MINI USA will provide a production number to your MINI dealer. It is estimated that these production numbers will be provided to your authorized MINI dealer during the first quarter of 2020.
*sigh*

My personal technical questions for those who care:
1). Whats under the hump in the back since there aren't any seats?
2) Will there be a kit or something to level out the back? My dogs would appreciate it
3) Can that rear bar be removed? How hard is it to do?
4) Whats the tread ware rating on the track tires?
5) is the belt line actually blacked out?
6) Rear spoiler: Can it be taken through a car wash?
7) Can the suspension be lowered at all? Or are they not adjustable?
8). Why hasn't Mini USA started confirming any of our orders yet?!?!?!?!
9) Will it have comfort access ( lock/unlock the doors with a button on the door handle) or will we have to act like Neanderthals and actually use a key or the remote?
10) Why are they promoting 306 HP in the UK, but 302 in the US?

The following users liked this post:
KYDan (02-19-2020)
Old 02-19-2020, 09:57 AM
SENNAGP3
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My GP3 gets delivered the last week in March

Old 02-19-2020, 10:19 AM
KYDan
5th Gear
Received 137 Likes on 90 Posts
Originally Posted by SENNAGP3
Since you state this with authority, how do you know this when my dealer doesn't? Mini USA apparently doesn't either, or they are towing the line based upon threats from Blatantly Muted Motorworks!

Old 02-19-2020, 10:29 AM
SENNAGP3
1st Gear
Originally Posted by KYDan
Since you state this with authority, how do you know this when my dealer doesn't? Mini USA apparently doesn't either, or they are towing the line based upon threats from Blatantly Muted Motorworks!
My dealer in the UK got in touch with me today to confirm the delivery date.

curlywurly (02-20-2020)
Old 02-19-2020, 10:48 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,203 Likes on 936 Posts
My dealer in the UK got in touch with me today to confirm the delivery date.
I see this was your second post on NAM... Welcome to the forum!

I gather from your post that you are in the UK? From other posts, here and other places, it seems that the UK and EU in general are being treaded better by MINI/BMW than we are here in the states.

Hopefully you keep in touch here and let us know how your build progress...

KYDan (02-19-2020)
Old 02-19-2020, 01:25 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
They probably get the GT a lot easier in the UK because they make 'em in Oxford I bet. Sell all you can over there and let the Americans fight over the rest!

Old 02-19-2020, 11:13 PM
Clutch Wotan
5th Gear
Received 157 Likes on 120 Posts
MINI produces from March to August the GP3, the last production lot, are only those with 7 Hp more and 30 kgs lighter, Iam quite happy that 99% comes with aircon and entertainment, makes my stripped factory racer something special, So it's ok that I wait. longer, and I can get my Quaife/ Drexler transmission fixed.

Shiva Green - complete vinyl wrap. 20 sets availabele

Last edited by Clutch Wotan; 02-19-2020 at 11:18 PM.
Old 02-20-2020, 12:00 AM
SENNAGP3
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Clutch Wotan
MINI produces from March to August the GP3, the last production lot, are only those with 7 Hp more and 30 kgs lighter, Iam quite happy that 99% comes with aircon and entertainment, makes my stripped factory racer something special, So it's ok that I wait. longer, and I can get my Quaife/ Drexler transmission fixed.

Shiva Green - complete vinyl wrap. 20 sets availabele

My GP3 which I am getting in March is without the Touring Pack.

Old 02-20-2020, 02:18 AM
Clutch Wotan
5th Gear
Received 157 Likes on 120 Posts
My 1st delivery notice was also March/April, and now August, as far as I see it China/Thailand and the States get only AC heavies ))))

Old 02-20-2020, 07:51 AM
DavidPinAZ
3rd Gear
As soon as I saw this I knew you were in the UK, lucky bastard, lol!

Hopefully, once you get it, you're up to fielding all kinds of questions from those of us still stuck waiting

Old 02-20-2020, 10:31 AM
Rich B.
4th Gear
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by DavidPinAZ
So, being annoyed at the lack of info, I figured I'd go straight to the source. I contacted MiniUSA via their webform with a bunch of technical questions ( mostly that would probably only relate to me) and to vent my frustration with the lack of info. Unsurprisingly, my technical questions were not answered. However, here's what I sent regarding the lack of info:

And their reply:

*sigh*

My personal technical questions for those who care:
David,

By now you should already know that when you email or text these guys they have an easy out and you will get the same bla, bla, bla answer everyone else gets.

Now listen...... with a different issue I experienced with BMW/MINI about a month ago I almost fell off of my chair when I got a personal return call from a Supervisor at HQ. She told me that she would personally look into my complaint. And what do you know? About two weeks later I got all the information I asked for in an email with the Supervisor calling me afterward to make sure I received everything to my satisfaction. You can try doing what I did........call Customer Service at BMW/MINI Corporate and relentlessly work your way up the food chain until you get to someone that is truly capable of helping you, like a Supervisor or Manager, rather than someone that will supply you with a generic answer. It worked for me!

Old 02-21-2020, 06:56 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
I know this is a bit of beating a dead horse, but this guy does a really nice review of the automatic that will be in the GP3. He also points out that having the auto vs a manual is likely a cost thing. That would be the cost of mating and certifying the manual with the that engine for just 3000 units. Likely not cost effective for just the GP given that engine has not yet been mated to a manual in any other MINI. Overall, his conclusions about the auto are much the same as mine were when I drove a MINI with that transmission. He likes it and thinks it will do well in the GP

He also does a review of the styling cues the GP has. Part of this is a reminder that things like the wheel arches and the rear wings are taken from the concept car, which a lot of people said that is the car MINI should build. He also comes to conclusions that I have; that is, it is a car that has grown on him, he basically likes it, but they missed the mark on not having a decent rear diffuser.

He also notes that the UK is getting 550 units. With the US getting 500 units, that leaves 1950 units for the rest of the world, which will likely be mostly Asia, China in particular (OK guessing a bit here). So, I guess we know who the market is that this car is targeted for...

Clutch Wotan (02-21-2020)
Old 02-22-2020, 09:23 AM
bradstyle
2nd Gear
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
I got to see GP3 #2020 at the Portland International Auto Show last night. It's beautiful (though I'm still seriously considering painting all of the purple and silver areas in midnight black). At the moment it definitely appears that there will be no Comfort Access, for which I am seriously bummed. Perhaps there will be a way to retrofit...? Happy to confirm it does have a backup cam, just no backup sonar so no annoying beeps. Now I will just try to be patient to see if the March/April delivery estimate holds, though I suspect delays are yet to be announced. Hope I'm wrong.

Old 02-23-2020, 01:27 AM
Kev Spiers
1st Gear
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Has everybody seen this?

I found it quite informative and filled a few knowledge holes for me while waiting for delivery on May 2nd

Attached Files
Eddie07S (02-23-2020)
Old 02-23-2020, 04:08 AM
KYDan
5th Gear
Thanks for the link, I had not seen this particular document before. There is so much conflicting information floating about in cyberspace about this automobile that it makes me wonder what is actual and what is not! But, this is from corporate and that lends credence to it.

Old 02-23-2020, 05:36 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Kev Spiers
Has everybody seen this?

I found it quite informative and filled a few knowledge holes for me while waiting for delivery on May 2nd
Wow, that is quite a find! Thanks for posting.

There is a lot of info there.

There are a lot of parts for this car that could be back fit into a F56 if someone so desired. Of interest is the larger oil pan, as well as numerous suspension and structure bits.

The more I find out about the GP3, the more I think that MINI really did their homework on this car and really stepped up their game to make it a true driver’s car. I think anyone getting one of these cars will be well rewarded, much the same as were the owners of cars like the M2, 1 M and the earlier M3s (before BMW made a boat out of them).

Kev Spiers (02-23-2020)
Old 02-23-2020, 11:27 AM
DavidPinAZ
3rd Gear
I can't wait until we get detailed technical specs, and not just marketing generalities. For example, what doe this:
enable increased camber levels on the front wheels
and this:
increased camber levels of the rear wheels
actually mean? *sigh*. The wait continues

Old 02-23-2020, 01:20 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
I know this is a bit of a guess, but If they followed what they did on the GP2, then the front camber is at least -1.5 deg, which is what the GP2 had. On the GP3 they did this with a different steering knuckle that moves the wheels further outboard, if I understand correctly. I know, their description is less than ideal for this, but I looked it up a while back. But this is also how they got the wider track. The rear camber is adjustable on these cars and it can be set to at least -2.5 deg. These numbers will provide good handling without wanting to swap ends too readily.

We can hope. But, in the end, it would be nice to know from them...

KYDan (02-23-2020)
Old 02-23-2020, 01:52 PM
KYDan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Eddie07S
I know this is a bit of a guess, but If they followed what they did on the GP2, then the front camber is at least -1.5 deg, which is what the GP2 had. On the GP3 they did this with a different steering knuckle that moves the wheels further outboard, if I understand correctly. I know, their description is less than ideal for this, but I looked it up a while back. But this is also how they got the wider track. The rear camber is adjustable on these cars and it can be set to at least -2.5 deg. These numbers will provide good handling without wanting to swap ends too readily.

We can hope. But, in the end, it would be nice to know from them...
It's as if we are playing a wait for more information to complete the puzzle game. It is sort of beyond frustration at this point. I am hanging in there until the end even with all the disappointments to-date.

Old 02-24-2020, 05:48 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Very “German” of them... I get the feeling it is a bit of: “You don’t need to know. We know what we are doing. Trust us.” I remember reading about when Mark Donahue went to drive for Porsche he had a lot of trouble with getting the Porsche engineers to listen to him... “You are a driver, not an engineer. You know nothing of the design of the car. You do your job, we’ll do ours.” Back then there was a real divisions between drivers and engineers. Actually, Mark was an engineer as well as a driver and really good at both. Over time the Porsche engineers relented as Mark tended to be right about what needed to be done to the car to get it to do what he wanted, and he wouldn’t take “get out of here” for an answer.

Maybe MINI will get the message, too, and give us something... But, soon enough all of the technical details will come out as the production version of these cars start to hit the streets. However, it is tough to buy something on a “trust me”. Although, the GP3 does sound really good and worth the trust, especially compared to the little that they did to make the GP1 and 2.

Also, I expect it won’t be long before places like Way Motors, ECS, etc get their hands on the GP3 parts list and have some of the “good” parts for sale... much like they did with the GP2 parts.

Best wishes to those of you who have taken the plunge into this unknown.

KYDan (02-24-2020)
Old 02-24-2020, 06:04 AM
KYDan
5th Gear
Thanks, it has been a difficult process for me with myriad glitches and it has sort of soured my feelings with BMW and I still don't know where I stand on their "list" to be awarded a dubious gem of a car! I had considered going with the 2 series sport sedan, but decided if the GP doesn't happen for me I will abandon BMW for a different manufacturer with the thought that they need my business more than I need their car. Still, the GP has potential and I do love the mini. If I do snare one hopefully I will be a happy motorist!

Old 02-24-2020, 07:28 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,091 Likes on 1,865 Posts
We already have some guys in Japan that will be working with the GP3 soon. Cant tell you too much.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Eddie07S (02-24-2020)
Old 02-24-2020, 09:11 AM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts
That was very well said Eddie! I do remember Mark Donahue and he was very special indeed! I kind of doubt drivers today have that level of knowledge about the inner workings of their race cars however. It's a sign of the times, and something I hate about todays cars...they are just computers on wheels! :-( The waiting for the GP3 reminds me of when I placed my order for a new JCW 6-speed manual transmission MINI in April 2015! Well that was worth the wait, and I hope the waiting and lack of information for potential buyers will be worth it when this GP3 finally arrives. I'm not one for playing games, and if I had my money down on a GP3 I would not be pleased with all this mis-information and lack of information about the GP3 for sure.

I hope it will be worth the wait. In the meantime my JCW is still brand new to me with less than 1300 miles, so we can celebrate the Spring driving season together maybe. eh? :-)

Originally Posted by Eddie07S
Very “German” of them... I get the feeling it is a bit of: “You don’t need to know. We know what we are doing. Trust us.” I remember reading about when Mark Donahue went to drive for Porsche he had a lot of trouble with getting the Porsche engineers to listen to him... “You are a driver, not an engineer. You know nothing of the design of the car. You do your job, we’ll do ours.” Back then there was a real divisions between drivers and engineers. Actually, Mark was an engineer as well as a driver and really good at both. Over time the Porsche engineers relented as Mark tended to be right about what needed to be done to the car to get it to do what he wanted, and he wouldn’t take “get out of here” for an answer.

Maybe MINI will get the message, too, and give us something... But, soon enough all of the technical details will come out as the production version of these cars start to hit the streets. However, it is tough to buy something on a “trust me”. Although, the GP3 does sound really good and worth the trust, especially compared to the little that they did to make the GP1 and 2.

Also, I expect it won’t be long before places like Way Motors, ECS, etc get their hands on the GP3 parts list and have some of the “good” parts for sale... much like they did with the GP2 parts.

Best wishes to those of you who have taken the plunge into this unknown.

KYDan (02-24-2020)
Old 02-24-2020, 11:49 AM
KYDan
5th Gear
I really would like to have the GP3 for the MOTD, but I doubt that I will. Some of the group that we did the North Coast 500 with will be there. However if not the trusty JCW will be there!

Quick Reply: JCW 2020 MINI GP Article