JCW 2020 MINI GP Article

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2020, 05:46 AM
KYDan
5th Gear
Received 137 Likes on 90 Posts
O2, I have not totally given up on the GP3, but with all the glitches and other issues it has become another thorn in the forest rather than a smile maker. Our world has changed and suddenly things that were priorities has dramatically changed. I have not totally written off the GP3, but until we know what direction society is headed there are more important issues to be resolved. I still want the GP and it may still happen.

Old 03-28-2020, 08:30 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,203 Likes on 936 Posts
Originally Posted by 02fanatic
I've never cared for the tach placement on the F56 JCW either! Whoever designed that certainly hasn't ever been a race car driver, drag racer, or even an enthusiast, that's for certain. Heck the tach should be in the center as it's more important than the speedometer anyway, especially if you have a 6-speed manual! Well, dang, I believe I may have just solved the mystery! MINI wasn't real fond of the manual transmission anyway, so relying on a tach for shift points wasn't much of a consideration it appears! Mystery solved! Remember the Sun Tachs Dan?....I had one on my '55 Chevy and my '67 Chevelle Super Sport (L78). Sorry to see you cancel your order after all this effort and waiting, but things happen for a reason. Many of us have some changes to face as the result of the current state of disarray! All the Best!
I drove a 2020 clubman S with an auto and the JCW paddle shifters. Had it for 3 day which gave me a lot of time to get a feel for the car and its ergonomics. The tach was clearly design for having only an automatic in the car. You don’t need a tach with that automatic, no matter what mode you drive it in. Even in manual mode, it was easiest to just let it bounce off the rev limiter and blip the upshift paddle. There is hardly anything to think about, no hand movement, and the thing shifts so fast there is no time lost. That doesn’t work well with a manual. So, 10% of drivers get a useless tach that is only for show for the 90% of drivers with automatics and wouldn’t use a tach anyway (OK my percents may be off, but you get the drift). To add insult to injury, the thing isn’t even lit well enough to be seen either.

I had thought about those big Sun tachs that were used back then when I saw the MINI tach. Especially those used in the cars with that bar-graph speedometer, and no gages except a fuel gage.

Last edited by Eddie07S; 03-28-2020 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Fix typos
The following 2 users liked this post by Eddie07S:
02fanatic (03-28-2020), KYDan (03-28-2020)
Old 03-28-2020, 09:09 AM
Rich B.
4th Gear
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
COVID 19 and MINI:

IMO many GP3 orders will be cancelled in the coming weeks/months for a host of different reasons. Unemployment in many parts of the world is expected to soon exceed that reached during the Great Depression, our stock markets are experiencing record sell-off's, and our financial institutions are getting assistance from the federal Government to remain solvent. Aside from this the average family in the USA only has enough savings to support them for 90 days. Without ongoing govt assistance our middle class families will become lower class in short order. Add to the mix that MINI dealerships have already struggled with slow 2019 sales, and now, because of this pandemic, showroom traffic has all but come to a standstill.

Supply and demand is the substance that drives our world economic system. When demand suddenly slows down, or stops, manufacturers/businesses must react by slowing/cutting production and lowering prices. I believe that not only are many GP3 buyers reevaluating their purchases, but BMW/MINI is reevaluating the structure of their business for the future. Will MINI dealerships be forced to turn unsold GP3's into cashflow by offering aggressive buyer incentives? I recall when the first GP1 came out. Everybody was crazy about it! However, some dealerships in 2008 still had brand new, unsold units on the showroom floor.

No one has a crystal ball to see what the future is going to bring in these uncertain times, but you can be fairly certain of one thing, BMW/MINI is in this to make money, and if the world market for GP3's should become negatively impacted by this COVID19, BMW/MINI will do something to limit their losses.

My sincere hope is for everyone here and their families to remain healthy. God Bless.

Old 03-28-2020, 01:36 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
And I second the motion that everyone here and their families remain healthy.

There is a lot that each of us can do to keep this from getting ahold of us. One is to keep spirits up and I do that by following on NAM the fun things that others are doing with their MINIs and doing fun things myself, even if that means doing it by one’s self. I hope people keep posting. I have heard of no reason that one can’t take a scenic ride, watch a sunrise or sunset as long as it is by one’s self or with someone you share you life with. This is the sort of thing our cars were made for. There is additional fun to be had by turning to iRacing or the like... Hmmm - I wonder if they have a MINI GP3 on there yet??? Social distancing at its best and still being able to interact with people.

Maybe you are right about the GP. But, I would think that would only happen if everyone pulls their deposits. Production of the car may have stopped for now, but is there any reason that the the production could not be restarted where it ended? I am optimistic that when this all settles down that the “ball will get rolling again“. That is what we do as a people. It will surely be different, but it will roll again.

There is some really good advice, backed by science and reliable medical sources, and that passes the common sense test, on how to prevent this virus into to one’s house and into one’s self. Follow the science and reliable medical sources. There are methods for preventing the virus that is carried on packaging (food, deliveries, etc.) and whatnot from getting into your home and into you. I have 2, maybe 3 pieces of information that I have found that I follow to do this in my home. I hope you have the same for yours.

Be safe, be healthy and motor on.

Old 03-30-2020, 12:46 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Here is a good “go collect my new GP” video. It shows a few interior shots of things I had not seen and has a really good shot of the display in front of the driver...

Enjoy:

The following users liked this post:
dpcompt (03-30-2020)
Old 04-01-2020, 06:46 PM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts
I've been viewing the reviews of the GP3 on YouTube from those who have actually taken delivery (in the UK at least) and the reviews so far appear to be pretty good for sure. There are also the track drives for press members in California (Palm Springs) but those are getting old as it's the same car & driver for all the presenters. I prefer the actual recipients of the GP3 with their own personalized GP Number, and there aren't that many. What are some of your thoughts so far...anyone? We can at least dream and discuss while we wait for better days right? Boy, everyone will remember when the GP3 was released!!! Ugh!

KYDan (04-03-2020)
Old 04-02-2020, 12:28 PM
MikeMJCW
4th Gear
Received 107 Likes on 84 Posts
Would one of you fine folks in the UK (who already own a GP3 of course) be able to get a part # for the GP3 front strut bar with hood gasket and the rear control arm 4 bolt brace?

Old 04-06-2020, 06:28 AM
DavidPinAZ
3rd Gear
Received 136 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by 02fanatic
I've been viewing the reviews of the GP3 on YouTube from those who have actually taken delivery (in the UK at least) and the reviews so far appear to be pretty good for sure. There are also the track drives for press members in California (Palm Springs) but those are getting old as it's the same car & driver for all the presenters. I prefer the actual recipients of the GP3 with their own personalized GP Number, and there aren't that many. What are some of your thoughts so far...anyone? We can at least dream and discuss while we wait for better days right? Boy, everyone will remember when the GP3 was released!!! Ugh!
I have an unhealthy obsession of refreshing YouTube multiple times a day searching for variations on "202[0|1] gp[3]" looking for the latest videos that might give any new information. I need to get out more. Wait...

Old 04-13-2020, 12:52 AM
Clutch Wotan
5th Gear
Received 157 Likes on 120 Posts
When I remember it right a "UK talkie" said here, he would have one without AC/Entertainment in March . My dealer ( Independent ) ordered 2, he received a week ago one, obviously with touring pack, there are no racers out yet ? My is coming in August, I also think they will get the lower numbers as they are the true racers - Love it.

rebonz (05-07-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 12:58 AM
SENNAGP3
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Clutch Wotan
When I remember it right a "UK talkie" said here, he would have one without AC/Entertainment in March . My dealer ( Independent ) ordered 2, he received a week ago one, obviously with touring pack, there are no racers out yet ? My is coming in August, I also think they will get the lower numbers as they are the true racers - Love it.

Yeah mine without the Touring pack was due to be delivered week commencing 23rd March but has now been delayed due to the closure of the factory and the pandemic.

Old 04-13-2020, 04:59 AM
KYDan
5th Gear
I have heard nothing regarding the GP for sometime now. In the overall scheme of things it is insignificant.

Old 04-13-2020, 05:38 AM
Clutch Wotan
5th Gear
Oh yes Senna GP, the ones without like mine are build at the end :July, so your march was never in doubt for me ))))))

Old 04-13-2020, 07:05 AM
Clutch Wotan
5th Gear
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by KYDan
I have heard nothing regarding the GP for sometime now. In the overall scheme of things it is insignificant.
Yes the information here is quite insignificant.

Old 04-17-2020, 12:39 PM
erik500002
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Got an email from Mini today, I am sure all of you guys who pre-ordered got one as well but I'll include it below in case anyone missed it:

We wanted to let you know that, due to the ever-evolving challenges surrounding COVID-19, we’ve made the tough call to pause production at MINI Plant Oxford and other manufacturing facilities across Europe for the time being. Our priority is always the safety and health of our amazing MINI team, our partners, suppliers and, of course, our wonderful MINI drivers.
It’s likely that this will cause a delay in your delivery date. We understand this is no doubt disappointing, especially as you’ve been waiting to get behind the wheel of your new MINI John Cooper Works GP, but hope you can understand why we’ve made this decision. Your MINI Dealer will contact you to provide an updated delivery date when they are able to.
Of course, if you wish, you can cancel your order and receive a refund by contacting your MINI Dealer. But if you choose to wait (and we hope you will), we promise you this:
Whatever the world throws at us, we’re committed to delivering your order and bringing you the most feel-good car on the road.
We hope you and your loved ones stay safe in these challenging times.
Yours, MINI Team

AN UPDATE FROM MINI.

Old 04-18-2020, 05:30 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Received 738 Likes on 522 Posts
Nice advert.

:

Short driving review.

:

Washing.

:

In Germany.

Old 04-18-2020, 06:45 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
The 1st video is great! Love the flying leap...

Oldboy Speedwell (04-18-2020)
Old 04-18-2020, 07:47 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Received 738 Likes on 522 Posts
Originally Posted by Eddie07S
The 1st video is great! Love the flying leap...
Indeed!

Although being an R53 owner it made me cringe too LOL mushroom towers!

Does F56 utilize more sturdy design?

Big flying leaps are always stunning.

Me being an old Saabfreak...
2020 MINI GP Article-arcc6cy.jpg
...usually call it a "yump".

Speaking of rallyesque yumping,
2020 WRC Mexico was pretty spectacular:

Winner was Yaris GR-4,
sad that North America is gonna miss out on that homologation special, there was some talk early on that we'd get it, but no, it appears not so.

As an apology Toyota is supposedly offering a Corolla GR in 2022 for the U.S. but it is 5 door which don't float my boat because I'm a geezer who much prefers 3 doors on a hatchback.

More Mexico,
DirtFish provided some good footage.

first clip features harrowing narrow miss of a dog running out on course

Old 04-18-2020, 08:54 AM
KYDan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by erik500002
Got an email from Mini today, I am sure all of you guys who pre-ordered got one as well but I'll include it below in case anyone missed it:

We wanted to let you know that, due to the ever-evolving challenges surrounding COVID-19, we’ve made the tough call to pause production at MINI Plant Oxford and other manufacturing facilities across Europe for the time being. Our priority is always the safety and health of our amazing MINI team, our partners, suppliers and, of course, our wonderful MINI drivers.
It’s likely that this will cause a delay in your delivery date. We understand this is no doubt disappointing, especially as you’ve been waiting to get behind the wheel of your new MINI John Cooper Works GP, but hope you can understand why we’ve made this decision. Your MINI Dealer will contact you to provide an updated delivery date when they are able to.
Of course, if you wish, you can cancel your order and receive a refund by contacting your MINI Dealer. But if you choose to wait (and we hope you will), we promise you this:
Whatever the world throws at us, we’re committed to delivering your order and bringing you the most feel-good car on the road.
We hope you and your loved ones stay safe in these challenging times.
Yours, MINI Team

AN UPDATE FROM MINI.
I have not heard anything from my dealership other than messages they are open for service and want to sell me another JCW! They were happy to take my deposit though after multiple faux pas trying to submit my preorders! UGH!

Old 04-18-2020, 09:29 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Oldboy Speedwell
Indeed!

Although being an R53 owner it made me cringe too LOL mushroom towers!

Does F56 utilize more sturdy design?

Big flying leaps are always stunning.

Me being an old Saabfreak...

...usually call it a "yump".

Speaking of rallyesque yumping,
2020 WRC Mexico was pretty spectacular:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufZIOURvszo

Winner was Yaris GR-4,
sad that North America is gonna miss out on that homologation special, there was some talk early on that we'd get it, but no, it appears not so.

As an apology Toyota is supposedly offering a Corolla GR in 2022 for the U.S. but it is 5 door which don't float my boat because I'm a geezer who much prefers 3 doors on a hatchback.

More Mexico,
DirtFish provided some good footage.

first clip features harrowing narrow miss of a dog running out on course

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REZD0JLnI-Y
“Yump” - love it (with my Scandinavia heritage )

As for the F56 - My F56 JCW looks to be more substantial than my R56 which is more substantial than our R50. So, ya, I would think there will none of the R53 problems with the F56. But, still, not sure I would want to take my JCW for any air time, especially like that. That would probably compress the shocks about 3” more than they were meant to go and give new meaning to “lowered suspension”...

Great rally videos.

Old 04-26-2020, 11:56 AM
KYDan
5th Gear
I have a question for anyone that has experience with the BMW M2 competition series. Do any of you have any personal knowledge of how well they handle twisties? I am so tired of no communication from mini regarding the GP3 that I am considering the refund and going with the BMW 2 series. I love the Subaru WRX STI, but does not light my fire and it looks too much like a mom and kids car to suit me. The 2 is a great track car, but I don't plan to track anything seriously anymore and just want something for twisty mountain runs.

Old 04-26-2020, 12:13 PM
Rich B.
4th Gear
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
"I am so tired of no communication from mini regarding the GP3 that I am considering the refund and going with the BMW 2 series". Why would you expect any better service from BMW as opposed to MINI.......same company!

Old 04-26-2020, 12:17 PM
KYDan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Rich B.
"I am so tired of no communication from mini regarding the GP3 that I am considering the refund and going with the BMW 2 series". Why would you expect any better service from BMW as opposed to MINI.......same company!
I know where I can get one immediately as they have it in stock, therefore, the lack of communication is not an issue.

Old 04-26-2020, 01:05 PM
SENNAGP3
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a question for anyone that has experience with the BMW M2 competition series. Do any of you have any personal knowledge of how well they handle twisties? I am so tired of no communication from mini regarding the GP3 that I am considering the refund and going with the BMW 2 series. I love the Subaru WRX STI, but does not light my fire and it looks too much like a mom and kids car to suit me. The 2 is a great track car, but I don't plan to track anything seriously anymore and just want something for twisty mountain runs.

Production at the Oxford plant will not commence again until 18th May at the earliest.

Old 04-26-2020, 01:10 PM
KYDan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by SENNAGP3
Production at the Oxford plant will not commence again until 18th May at the earliest.
See my post above your response.

Old 04-26-2020, 05:09 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
I’ve driven the M2 (not the “competition“), which my cousin owns. He does take it to the track, basically stock, except for camber plates and track brake pads. It is wicked good. So handling wise, it is really up there and is good on the twisties. Light on its feet would be one way to put it. Agile. As for overall overall road and ride manners. I would say those are very good too. In comparison, I would say on par with the JCW, but more performance. It cleans the clock on my S and I would think my JCW would be closer but not by much. It also matches some of the E46 prepped cars that we run with. The “competition” version is supposed to be a step up from there. More HP, more track oriented (sounds A bit like the GP3 vs the JCW). I would think the STI is not in the same league. Not sure this helps at all, but it is the best I can offer. I could find out more if you want.

KYDan (04-26-2020)

Quick Reply: JCW 2020 MINI GP Article