JCW 2020 MINI GP Article

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2020, 06:54 PM
Eurothrasher
6th Gear
Received 168 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by Rich B.
COVID 19 and MINI:

IMO many GP3 orders will be cancelled in the coming weeks/months for a host of different reasons. Unemployment in many parts of the world is expected to soon exceed that reached during the Great Depression, our stock markets are experiencing record sell-off's, and our financial institutions are getting assistance from the federal Government to remain solvent. Aside from this the average family in the USA only has enough savings to support them for 90 days. Without ongoing govt assistance our middle class families will become lower class in short order. Add to the mix that MINI dealerships have already struggled with slow 2019 sales, and now, because of this pandemic, showroom traffic has all but come to a standstill.

Supply and demand is the substance that drives our world economic system. When demand suddenly slows down, or stops, manufacturers/businesses must react by slowing/cutting production and lowering prices. I believe that not only are many GP3 buyers reevaluating their purchases, but BMW/MINI is reevaluating the structure of their business for the future. Will MINI dealerships be forced to turn unsold GP3's into cashflow by offering aggressive buyer incentives? I recall when the first GP1 came out. Everybody was crazy about it! However, some dealerships in 2008 still had brand new, unsold units on the showroom floor.

No one has a crystal ball to see what the future is going to bring in these uncertain times, but you can be fairly certain of one thing, BMW/MINI is in this to make money, and if the world market for GP3's should become negatively impacted by this COVID19, BMW/MINI will do something to limit their losses.

My sincere hope is for everyone here and their families to remain healthy. God Bless.
Ineresting thought, but they're in the business of making money, and since the MINI is not made here in USA like most other brands are I'm doubtful as to any discounts on the GP3, but would suspect certain other model lines such as Clubman and Convertible to have 0% financing available....

Due to cafe standards with a new bar set higher every year, BMW would not survive w/o the MINI brand to offset certain gas guzzling BMW lines they sell.....that said, MINI will be around for many years to come.

Old 04-26-2020, 07:08 PM
KYDan
5th Gear
Received 137 Likes on 90 Posts
I have been shopping around for a nimble little speedster, my current JCW is a fun drive and I ordered the GP3, and paid the deposit, but I have heard nothing since I made the deposit. In the event I don't get one I am exploring other options although I really want the GP3 and with all the crap going on and time on my hands I have been checking out other possibilities. My first mini was an R56 JCW and traded it in on the F series one that I now have and love. I wish I had kept the R series, but I didn't. My current one has 64,000 hard miles on it and is still going strong. A proper beastie with dynoed power of 170 HP. It's a hoot, the GP should be better, but mini marketing tactics are bizarre and frustrating. So, while I am house bound it's time kill central. In the event I don't get the GP I have been shopping for a really stellar twisty mobile.

Old 04-28-2020, 01:35 PM
DavidPinAZ
3rd Gear
Received 136 Likes on 87 Posts
A one month review from some lucky bastard in the UK. Damn I want this thing so bad.

The following users liked this post:
Kev Spiers (04-28-2020)
Old 04-28-2020, 03:24 PM
SENNAGP3
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
A review of the GP3 is on the Autocar website.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review...gp-2020-review

Old 04-29-2020, 09:59 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Received 738 Likes on 522 Posts
Originally Posted by SENNAGP3
A review of the GP3 is on the Autocar website.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review...gp-2020-review
Comment section there are rather amusing!

Print edition came out today:

2020 MINI GP Article-ts6xck6.png

Old 04-30-2020, 11:26 AM
bradstyle
2nd Gear
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
I'll be curious to hear more reviews on how it torque steers at speed. My 2008 JCW was a bit challenging to get off the line, but I learned its quirks. My 2016 JCW is much more controlled, but the power delivery in 1st gear has always felt detuned to me. The GP3 has enough power that I really want to know more about how it torque steers before committing to the purchase. From a start it doesn't bother me, but the last thing I want is a car I have to baby the acceleration with if I'm overtaking on the freeway.

Old 05-01-2020, 06:32 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,203 Likes on 936 Posts
I think that will depend on the condition of the road you are on. On some roads my JCW will have torque steer when I drop it into 3rd to pass someone. This is likely a malady of FWD cars in general. So, the GP will likely have some of the same.

I have noticed the “detuned” feeling in 1st gear. But in watching the tach closely that seems to kick in around 5 to 6k rpm, before the cutout at 6500. It also seems to be, in part, associated with having the traction control on (controlling wheel spin). I have just taken to shifting out of 1st around 5500 just to stay away from that. I know other people have just taken to turning the traction control off as soon as they start the engine.

The following 2 users liked this post by Eddie07S:
bradstyle (05-01-2020), pjsjr13 (05-01-2020)
Old 05-01-2020, 06:38 AM
DavidPinAZ
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by bradstyle
I'll be curious to hear more reviews on how it torque steers at speed. My 2008 JCW was a bit challenging to get off the line, but I learned its quirks. My 2016 JCW is much more controlled, but the power delivery in 1st gear has always felt detuned to me. The GP3 has enough power that I really want to know more about how it torque steers before committing to the purchase. From a start it doesn't bother me, but the last thing I want is a car I have to baby the acceleration with if I'm overtaking on the freeway.
This guy hs a short video on torque steer, if you haven't seen it yet:

The following 2 users liked this post by DavidPinAZ:
bradstyle (05-01-2020), Eddie07S (05-01-2020)
Old 05-01-2020, 09:50 AM
Kev Spiers
1st Gear
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
I very much doubt any of the current crop of fast MINI's have true torque steer, as in unequal length drive shafts like RS turbo's and the likes back in the day. I would expect its more pull/****** due to tyre grip or uneven road surface?

Regarding the "detuned" issue, I remember back when the R53 was launched that the ECU limited power in the first 2 gears to protect engine, drive train and tail wheel spin. Having driver the 306bhp Countryman i feel its limited certainly in the first 2 gears.

bradstyle (05-01-2020)
Old 05-01-2020, 11:09 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Kev Spiers
I very much doubt any of the current crop of fast MINI's have true torque steer, as in unequal length drive shafts like RS turbo's and the likes back in the day. I would expect its more pull/****** due to tyre grip or uneven road surface?
Yes, exactly what I was trying to say, but mudded it up...
My JCW pulls straight on a nice and flat road, but going over the crown of the road with gas on when passing someone can be an “experience”.

Also, does your Countryman have the mechanical LSD that the GP3 will have? That will help to control torque steer, even with varying road conditions.

Regarding the "detuned" issue, I remember back when the R53 was launched that the ECU limited power in the first 2 gears to protect engine, drive train and tail wheel spin. Having driver the 306bhp Countryman i feel its limited certainly in the first 2 gears.
Is that with the traction control on or off? Or does it not matter?

Old 05-01-2020, 01:41 PM
Kev Spiers
1st Gear
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Countryman was a loaner and the all4 JCW sorry no idea what diff, sorry. It didn’t matter what driving mode you were in, For 306bhp sure it’s fast but felt flat till you got to 60 plus and much the same as my JCW R56 was surprising from 70mph onward.

Have you ever driven a mk1 Golf GTI or Arbath, they sure are exhilarating in the first 2 gears.

Old 05-01-2020, 02:00 PM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Speaking of Abarth...

...it would have been radmax awesome if MINI could have installed a dogbox like how Fiat did on their hardcore Biposto:

Given,
that was very costly at around a $10,000 option!

Don't think too many ticked the box, but I'm sure some did.

Don't see much owner videos on youtube with it fitted.

2020 MINI GP Article-bc1vzdc.jpg
2020 MINI GP Article-viyfbxr.jpg

Kev Spiers (05-01-2020)
Old 05-02-2020, 07:43 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Neat article from Top Gear the other day.

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/hot...uld-you-choose

Lockdown restrictions prevented them from proper testing of GP3,
but they provide a nice gallery of pix with all 3 generations.

Cool to see them all together.

Zizik (05-02-2020)
Old 05-02-2020, 10:11 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Countryman was a loaner and the all4 JCW sorry no idea what diff, sorry. It didn’t matter what driving mode you were in, For 306bhp sure it’s fast but felt flat till you got to 60 plus and much the same as my JCW R56 was surprising from 70mph onward.

Have you ever driven a mk1 Golf GTI or Arbath, they sure are exhilarating in the first 2 gears.
Nice Loaner! Best I have gotten as a loaner has been a Clubman S All4 and thought that did quite nicely. The JCW Countryman must have been really fun to have for a while.

Nope, never have driven either. I find my R56S to not have any de-tune effect in 1st. That would have clearly raised its ugly head with the autocrosses I have done with it.

Old 05-02-2020, 10:35 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
I believe the UK MINI Challenge race cars run that dog-box, and I seem to remember a price of $10k for the box alone.

Old 05-02-2020, 12:31 PM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Eddie07S
I believe the UK MINI Challenge race cars run that dog-box, and I seem to remember a price of $10k for the box alone.
Right you are.

Last time I checked the conversion rate pricewise on the Quaife dogbox, it was around $11,000 USD

The shifter mechanism looks the same too, I wonder if Quaife makes that as well???

Old 05-02-2020, 03:25 PM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Was just browsing and saw this killer gif at MINI Canada, maybe used on all the national websites, dunno but it is really cool methinks.

Old 05-02-2020, 04:15 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
The shifter has a tag on it that they showed in the video, but it is not totally clear. However, it was clear enough to know that it is something other than Quaife. Also, that may be a sequential box, as were others that I have seen.

Old 05-02-2020, 06:54 PM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Eddie07S
The shifter has a tag on it that they showed in the video, but it is not totally clear. However, it was clear enough to know that it is something other than Quaife. Also, that may be a sequential box, as were others that I have seen.

I think that the video may be of an Italian spec Challenge car which would explain it?

UK cars run Quaife, but perhaps rules are different in Italy and they run something else?

Went back and paused and squinted to see the company name:

Bacci Romano

https://www.bacciromano.com/en/

:

Same channel as the other video I posted has quite a few clips of Mini Challenge Italiano posted also.

Old 05-03-2020, 06:19 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
That would have been an interesting option for the GP... But, as was said in the previous video, not very practical for the street...

Old 05-05-2020, 09:10 AM
KYDan
5th Gear
Well, amidst the crappy corona era I received the best news I have had in quite a while! I received confirmation that my GP 3 is scheduled for May production! I am silently hearing the Hallelujah Chorus in my mind right now! It will be a long wait for me, but I can live with that!

Old 05-05-2020, 09:26 AM
DavidPinAZ
3rd Gear
Wait, for real?!?!?! Holy crap, hopefully that means I'll get a notification soon, too! Was it a phone call, an email or ? Also, which wave did you put your order in (previous/current GP owner, current Mini owner, Other)?

And just when I finally got over my unhealthy obsession of constantly refreshing my email searching for any kind of information from Mini, lol!

Congrats!!

Old 05-05-2020, 09:51 AM
KYDan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by DavidPinAZ
Wait, for real?!?!?! Holy crap, hopefully that means I'll get a notification soon, too! Was it a phone call, an email or ? Also, which wave did you put your order in (previous/current GP owner, current Mini owner, Other)?

And just when I finally got over my unhealthy obsession of constantly refreshing my email searching for any kind of information from Mini, lol!

Congrats!!
Thanks, I placed my order in November, and I am a current owner. I had an R56 JCW, and now an F56 JCW. Check with your dealer, the information is available to them according to my dealer. I corresponded via email with my dealer and received an email with all the information shortly thereafter.

Good Luck!

Kev Spiers (05-05-2020)
Old 05-05-2020, 11:23 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by KYDan
Well, amidst the crappy corona era I received the best news I have had in quite a while! I received confirmation that my GP 3 is scheduled for May production! I am silently hearing the Hallelujah Chorus in my mind right now! It will be a long wait for me, but I can live with that!
I think Mini restarted car production in Oxford about 2 weeks ago. I bought a 2020 JCW Clubman 10 days ago in AZ (off the lot) did the whole deal (including trade) via my phone. Best deal I ever did on any of my 3 Minis (13% off MSRP). Drove down on 4/24 and swapped the cars and paid. This is an awesome Mini btw. Very different than my JCW Coupe for sure. The MA said there's a bunch of already ordered Minis sitting at the 3 ports of entry that the dealers don't need yet.

Old 05-05-2020, 11:54 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE

Quick Reply: JCW 2020 MINI GP Article