JCW 2020 MINI GP Article

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2020, 03:57 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,846 Likes on 1,472 Posts
Originally Posted by dube53
Anybody has been able to deal below MSRP? The sales person told me he has to add $3,000 for preparation and delivery fees over the $45K. Just thought it was a joke LOL
I certainly wouldn’t pay MORE than MSRP. $3000 for prep and delivery?! Stupid

Old 06-10-2020, 04:08 AM
Kev Spiers
1st Gear
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Old 06-10-2020, 04:14 AM
KYDan
5th Gear
Received 137 Likes on 90 Posts
Originally Posted by dube53
Anybody has been able to deal below MSRP? The sales person told me he has to add $3,000 for preparation and delivery fees over the $45K. Just thought it was a joke LOL
After all that I have been through with this process I have already made up my mind on this issue. In the event that my dealer does this I will walk away from the deal, ask for a refund of my deposit and buy a C8 corvette! For not a whole lot more money I will have a whole lot more automobile. I love my JCW and I do want a GP, but I will not tolerate gouging.

The following 2 users liked this post by KYDan:
Clutch Wotan (06-11-2020), Scott Rutledge (06-12-2020)
Old 06-10-2020, 08:18 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by KYDan
After all that I have been through with this process I have already made up my mind on this issue. In the event that my dealer does this I will walk away from the deal, ask for a refund of my deposit and buy a C8 corvette! For not a whole lot more money I will have a whole lot more automobile. I love my JCW and I do want a GP, but I will not tolerate gouging.
....Today, they are back to $500 above MSRP.......... well, they dropped really fast. Now, I told them that they are way too low for my trade-in so they need to review their figures and I am not in a hurry.

It will be interesting to see if it goes to phase 2 of the negotiations or just fall flat. I believe they will become more flexible toward the end of the month.

Then, if everything goes through and in writing for both parties, I will send my deposit. This way there will be no surprise at delivery.

Old 06-11-2020, 02:56 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
I realize the GP3 is a special car but mine was the same sticker price ($45k) and basically the same car minus the trim and back seat delete of the GP. I got $5k off and I got almost exactly what KBB said for my 2014 JCW Coupe trade-in ($11k). That was at the end of March and it was the only 2020 JCW Clubman they had at that dealership.

The following users liked this post:
KYDan (06-11-2020)
Old 06-11-2020, 03:06 PM
KYDan
5th Gear
What you say is true, but it still is not the GP. I have not seen a head to head comparison of the two on any of the videos as far as performance and track ability.

Clutch Wotan (06-11-2020)
Old 06-11-2020, 10:49 PM
Clutch Wotan
5th Gear
Received 157 Likes on 120 Posts
What you say is true, but it still is not the GP. I have not seen a head to head comparison of the two on any of the videos as far as performance and track ability.
The F54 is a good car, probably the best base for the still awaited MINI hallmark, but the GP3 will be the first MINI who is serious about his ambitious name. It's worth waiting! What I cant say about any MINI before.

The vison of 2017 "to the few" have been carried out word by word, the initial hardcore bodywork future project among the few`s.

Old 06-12-2020, 04:43 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,203 Likes on 936 Posts
That would be an interesting comparison. My guess is someone has it in the mix.

However, if you look at weight alone, the Clubman is about 30% heavier. Adding weight is one of things IMSA does in their POP to slow cars down. Weight affects everything with respect to a car’s performance. A lighter car will accelerate faster (traction limits aside; think 60 to 100 mph coming out of a corner), corner better and stop better. Then factor in the GP3’s aero bit, larger tires, wider track, lowering and more track oriented suspension over what the Clubman has. The All4 in the Clubman may give it an advantage in ease of handing and balance, so it may be an easier car to drive fast to its limits, but for ultimate performance on the track, my bet would be on the GP for the win.

Old 06-13-2020, 10:00 AM
DavidPinAZ
3rd Gear
Received 136 Likes on 87 Posts
I finally got my production status!! Wooo! Got the VIN and tracked it on Mini's site. Currently it's at the "Quality Check" stage. Anyone have any experience with how long it takes from there to get to "Dispatched"? OMG I'm so excited....SQUEEEEEE!!!!

Scott Rutledge (06-13-2020)
Old 06-13-2020, 01:16 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
It takes, like, FOREVER! Like a little kid 2 weeks before Christmas...

Congrats!

Old 06-13-2020, 02:49 PM
KYDan
5th Gear
Lucky boy, I haven't heard squat, mini is more tight lipped than the NSA!

Old 06-15-2020, 10:13 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Eddie07S
That would be an interesting comparison. My guess is someone has it in the mix.

However, if you look at weight alone, the Clubman is about 30% heavier. Adding weight is one of things IMSA does in their POP to slow cars down. Weight affects everything with respect to a car’s performance. A lighter car will accelerate faster (traction limits aside; think 60 to 100 mph coming out of a corner), corner better and stop better. Then factor in the GP3’s aero bit, larger tires, wider track, lowering and more track oriented suspension over what the Clubman has. The All4 in the Clubman may give it an advantage in ease of handing and balance, so it may be an easier car to drive fast to its limits, but for ultimate performance on the track, my bet would be on the GP for the win.
Oh for sure the GP3 would win on the track over my car. The suspension and different tires (and lower weight) would do that for sure (not sure about the aero stuff though). But I'll tell you one thing: I LOVE the adjustable dampers on this car, it's one of my favorite things about it. The Sport setting is great, but on some roads the Mid setting is way better. I rarely use the Eco mode for anything. I was getting tired of the sport suspension on my JCW Coupe, this is way better. And I can get a set of golf clubs in the back without taking the woods out of the bag!

Old 06-15-2020, 11:51 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
Oh for sure the GP3 would win on the track over my car. The suspension and different tires (and lower weight) would do that for sure (not sure about the aero stuff though). But I'll tell you one thing: I LOVE the adjustable dampers on this car, it's one of my favorite things about it. The Sport setting is great, but on some roads the Mid setting is way better. I rarely use the Eco mode for anything. I was getting tired of the sport suspension on my JCW Coupe, this is way better. And I can get a set of golf clubs in the back without taking the woods out of the bag!
I just got a loaner of a Clubman S (not the first time having one) and have to say, there is a lot to like about the car. JCW version sounds to be that much better yet. The slightly longer wheelbase also helps. And I know what you mean about the JCW sports suspension. That would be the same as the JCW Pro suspension I have on my JCW now and it is a bit harsh at times.

Old 06-15-2020, 05:05 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
So, is this why the F56 and the GP3 doesn’t have a decent diffuser?....

Stock F56 exhaust on the left vs what it should be... Ugh!

It seems that BMW/MINI is trying really hard to make these cars into something other that what they are meant to be...

Picture courtesy of this link:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post4539288

Old 06-15-2020, 07:31 PM
Clutch Wotan
5th Gear
Received 157 Likes on 120 Posts

It seems that BMW/MINI is trying really hard to make these cars into something other that what they are meant to be...

That's true, but you need a decent diffuser and for sure a better muffler
For GP3 I recommend this after some changes are effected.
Muffler
https://remus.eu/mini-cooper-s?___st..._from_store=fr
Diffuser
https://www.rsic6.com/product-page/r...tor-fiberglass

Old 06-16-2020, 03:24 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member

Hey, I posted that picture!

I was very surprised how quiet the Magnaflow box is, too. And MUCH lighter than the OEM piece it replaces. I might be a little surprised any sound comes out of the OEM muffler.

Old 06-16-2020, 05:24 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Ya, I know. But it was such a great picture I couldn’t resist.

If Magnaflow can do it, why can’t MINI? I know that there are noise requirements they have to meet, but that OEM piece seems to be excessive, especially when you say the Magnaflow is on the quieter side. I wonder if the OEM piece is straight though or it has a couple of right angle bends in it, which will pluck a few Hp out of the engine.

Old 06-16-2020, 05:52 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Ya, I know. But it was such a great picture I couldn’t resist.

If Magnaflow can do it, why can’t MINI? I know that there are noise requirements they have to meet, but that OEM piece seems to be excessive, especially when you say the Magnaflow is on the quieter side. I wonder if the OEM piece is straight though or it has a couple of right angle bends in it, which will pluck a few Hp out of the engine.
My guess is that the OEM box has some resonance chamber in it for sound management under varying load conditions. Aftermarket units don't really care about that, as they just want to make the vehicle sound more sporting. I've always liked Magnaflow mufflers and exhaust systems, and this one adds to that list.

I'd be curious to hear a GP3 with a straight through "muffler"

Old 06-16-2020, 02:42 PM
KYDan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Clutch Wotan
That's true, but you need a decent diffuser and for sure a better muffler
For GP3 I recommend this after some changes are effected.
Muffler
https://remus.eu/mini-cooper-s?___st..._from_store=fr
Diffuser
https://www.rsic6.com/product-page/r...tor-fiberglass
My German is too rusty to understand all of what is written, but enough to know if anyone in the US will offer it! More power, more grunt, more noise = more fun!

Old 06-16-2020, 03:58 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Did I read correctly a few posts back that the GP3 does NOT have the All4 like my car does? Why would that be pray tell? One would thing that would help the handling/traction especially tearing around a track and accelerating out of a turn to reduce wheel spin, right?

Old 06-16-2020, 04:04 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
That is correct. And is lighter as a result. Wheel spin is controlled by the mechanical Quaife LSD it has, but your car doesn’t. Out on the track, the All4 won’t make up for the weight it adds.

Old 06-16-2020, 04:10 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
My German is too rusty to understand all of what is written, but enough to know if anyone in the US will offer it! More power, more grunt, more noise = more fun!
KYDan - I saw you did a “like” on another blog thread discussion about the JCW using the same brake pads as the BMW M2, M3 and M4. The caliper on the GP3 looks to be the same, but with a larger disk, as the caliper on the JCW. Any idea if that might be true? If it is, then that opens up a number of options for race/track day pads for the GP3.

Old 06-17-2020, 09:32 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
KYDan - I saw you did a “like” on another blog thread discussion about the JCW using the same brake pads as the BMW M2, M3 and M4. The caliper on the GP3 looks to be the same, but with a larger disk, as the caliper on the JCW. Any idea if that might be true? If it is, then that opens up a number of options for race/track day pads for the GP3.
I think that my car (and probably the GP3) is most similar to the BMW M-135, their first FWD offering (not offered in the US). Engine, tranny, brakes, frame/suspension.

Clutch Wotan (06-18-2020)
Old 06-17-2020, 09:37 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
That is correct. And is lighter as a result. Wheel spin is controlled by the mechanical Quaife LSD it has, but your car doesn’t. Out on the track, the All4 won’t make up for the weight it adds.
I wonder how much weight it adds. For sure my car is a lot heavier than my Coupe (by probably 800lbs) but it's faster, stops faster, has a better transmission, and handles almost as good and rides better. Gets almost the same gas mileage. And I can get 2 sets of golf clubs in it to boot!

Old 06-17-2020, 10:36 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
I wonder how much weight it adds. For sure my car is a lot heavier than my Coupe (by probably 800lbs) but it's faster, stops faster, has a better transmission, and handles almost as good and rides better. Gets almost the same gas mileage. And I can get 2 sets of golf clubs in it to boot!
Just got done with a loner Clubman S All4, w/ the active suspension. Other than the Hatches we have, I could see owning one, especially the JCW version. On the street the S was really nice, plenty of power and the active suspension is a quite noticeable touch. The room is nice to have also and that is the reason I have a 2012 Hatch as opposed to a Coupe (which I thought hard about getting at the time). The engine, transmission and suspension are much better suited to the Clubman than they are to the Countryman. So, I can see your liking of your JCW.

However, as outright performance goes (track times, for example), weight is a killer. I follow the IMSA racing and I find it really interesting when the announcers talk about the balance of performance changes that are made to the cars. A lot of cases it is the addition or removal of weight in the range of 15kg (about 33 lbs) and that makes a noticeable difference. The added weight to make the GP an All4 would be considerably more than that, and is the reason I believe the weigh would more than offset any performance gain.

I have to believe the addition of rear wheel drive will add several hundred pounds (guess in the 100 to 200# range?). This would have to include a larger transmission casing, a middle differential, a drive shaft and supports, a rear differential, the half shifts, rear lower control arms, drive wheel hubs, heavier springs and maybe shocks (to handle the higher unsprong and sprong weight), relocated exhaust, maybe a different and larger tunnel, and i am sure I missed a few things.

Quick Reply: JCW 2020 MINI GP Article