JCW 2020 MINI GP Article

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2020, 09:52 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by DavidPinAZ
Picked mine up yesterday, #0771. Traded in my 2019 MCS (with all the JCW add ons added). So far, I absolutely love it!!! I'm hoping to do some driving today to get more familiar with it and I'll give my impressions and feedback after if anyone is interested.

I bought my first 2 Minis there from Drew B. They didn't have any 2020 JCW Clubmans when I was ready to trade in late April so I went to Tempe. That color is very similar to my car and our cars have the same MSRP too. You didn't get he cool black/silver JCW side scuttles though. That might be their first GP3, congrats!

Last edited by TheBigNewt; 07-28-2020 at 01:44 PM.
Old 07-28-2020, 12:28 PM
Kev Spiers
1st Gear
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Heads up folks, check your wheels. Wheels are apparently on a tuned GP, Instagram link below

View this post on Instagram

The following users liked this post:
acamejo (09-02-2020)
Old 07-28-2020, 12:41 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,203 Likes on 936 Posts
Picked mine up yesterday, #0771. Traded in my 2019 MCS (with all the JCW add ons added). So far, I absolutely love it!!! I'm hoping to do some driving today to get more familiar with it and I'll give my impressions and feedback after if anyone is interested.

Congrats...
And, of course, we are interested...

Originally Posted by KYDan
I called my dealer a week over a week ago and they said it was at the dock and ready to be loaded and that they would send me a package with information and some sort of gift. I haven't heard from them since, but with all the issues with shipments created by the pandemic it is not unexpected. But, I am still anxiously awaiting some information and when it will ship! I am like a kid at Christmas, but it has been since November of 2019 since I sent my money in for the deposit!
Boy, your dealer sounds like a bundle of enthusiasm in getting to sell you one of these things. What else do they have going on? Listening to the crickets chirping? That is a shame, as mine would be chomping at the bit to have that chance. I was getting emails from my sales person for almost a year after I bought my JCW - “is all well? Still liking it?...”

Hope it comes soon...

Old 07-28-2020, 04:14 PM
KYDan
5th Gear
Received 137 Likes on 90 Posts
My original dealer was Mini of Louisville, and I had the #1 spot with them after buying two JCWs from them. An R56 JCW hatch and then when the F series debuted I ordered the F series, loaded, tweaked out and I still have it and intend to keep it until it totally dies! Undoubtedly a stellar performer and still going strong with 48k miles on it. It has been the most fun vehicle I have ever owned. It is a daily driver and a twisty monster. I will keep it for the daily and save the GP for twisties and occasional track duty. Anyway, when the Louisville store folded and I ordered the GP from the Cincinnati dealership which is the next closest dealership and they are very nice, but not particularly communicative about things. And, seem to have some follow through issues. I took the JCW to them for service and it was done and they were very nice and furnished us with a new F56S to drive while they were servicing our mini. But, the did assure me that my GP3 is built and at the port, but that was a week and change ago and that is the last that I have heard from them.

Old 07-28-2020, 04:30 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Ugh!
If you had been closer I would have introduced you to my dealer. They seem to like me, as did your first dealer did you. The guy who got the 0001 MINI got it through my dealer and he is 3.5 hrs away. So he traveled a bit to get it, even though there are dealers closer to him. Again, hope it really does come through for you.

KYDan (07-28-2020)
Old 07-28-2020, 06:34 PM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
MotoringFile has linked to a couple reviews so far that haven't been too good (they have not driven/reviewed one themselves though). The harsh ride was mentioned. So glad I have adjustable dampers now the sport mode is firm enough for me.
Originally Posted by KYDan
My original dealer was Mini of Louisville, and I had the #1 spot with them after buying two JCWs from them. An R56 JCW hatch and then when the F series debuted I ordered the F series, loaded, tweaked out and I still have it and intend to keep it until it totally dies! Undoubtedly a stellar performer and still going strong with 48k miles on it. It has been the most fun vehicle I have ever owned. It is a daily driver and a twisty monster. I will keep it for the daily and save the GP for twisties and occasional track duty. Anyway, when the Louisville store folded and I ordered the GP from the Cincinnati dealership which is the next closest dealership and they are very nice, but not particularly communicative about things. And, seem to have some follow through issues. I took the JCW to them for service and it was done and they were very nice and furnished us with a new F56S to drive while they were servicing our mini. But, the did assure me that my GP3 is built and at the port, but that was a week and change ago and that is the last that I have heard from them.
Its on a slow ship Dan! It took forever when I was waiting for my 2015 JCW....one of the first few manuals built & imported to the U.S.

The ship stopped in Nova Scotia for fuel....took forever! You need to call MINI USA with your VIN and they will track it for you!

Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

KYDan (07-28-2020)
Old 07-28-2020, 07:38 PM
KYDan
5th Gear
I did that with the F56 JCW, but it was sort of agonizing in its own way, sort of a quandary as it really is a slow boat as you already know. I will hang tight for a while and see what Cincy mini does. It will arrive when it arrives and I will be happy amid a pandemic pandemonium! We do have some decent twisties relatively close, but nothing like what North Carolina and Tennessee have to offer, and then there is the eternal break in period. Lot's of trips to the grocery I suppose as it appears there will be another lock down due to the evil viral virus.

Old 07-29-2020, 06:30 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
The GPs are slowly trickling into the states. I saw on another thread that the GP3 has arrived for a friend of the OP of that thread. I suggested that his friend make a post here when he gets it.

Dan...

KYDan (07-29-2020)
Old 07-29-2020, 11:39 AM
DavidPinAZ
3rd Gear
Received 136 Likes on 87 Posts
So,a quick review after a couple days of ownership:
it has 4 driving modes:
  • Normal (D)
  • Sport mode (pop the shifter to the left). A bit more aggressive with the gearing
  • GP mode (pop the shifter to the left and disable traction control). Even more aggressive with the gearing. For example, I was in sport mode at 55mph and the gear ws 5/6. I disabled traction control (GP mode) and the gear instantly shot down to 3rd. Note: I haven't tried GP mode while in (D).
  • Manual mode. Use the paddles or gear shifter to manual control gearing
The lack of comfort access is going to be a pita, lol! I feel like a caveman having to use my key remote to lock and unlock everything )
No light in the trunk. And it's *dark* back there

It's FAST.
Torque steer doesn't seem any worse than my 2019 MCS with JCW tune and JB4 added. A bit more control with the GP, actually.
It's not any more flighty on bad roads than my 2019 MCS with JCW Pro suspension and 200tw tires on 17" wheels.
The suspension is bouncier than the JCW Pro suspension, but not as harsh or jarring. And the faster you're driving, the easier the suspension is. In other words, it's harsher at slower speeds.
The steering wheel controls manage switching to your media favorites better. With my 2019, I had to use the arrows to get to the station, then hit the 'ok' button for the radio to tune to that station. With the GP, as soon as you up-arrow to the station, the radio tunes to that station. Much better.
It's FAST.
The stereo: It's great for talk radio (I'm getting old), but no so much loud music. The speakers start distorting at about 75-80% volume. Definitely getting this fixed ASAP.
All in all, I absolutely LOVE this thing!!

The following 5 users liked this post by DavidPinAZ:
Clutch Wotan (07-29-2020), Eddie07S (07-29-2020), J_L (07-29-2020), Kev Spiers (07-29-2020), KYDan (07-29-2020)
Old 07-29-2020, 02:50 PM
DavidPinAZ
3rd Gear
Finally a review from someone (2 people, actually), who knows how to drive this thing, and on the track no less!

KYDan (07-29-2020)
Old 07-29-2020, 09:05 PM
Clutch Wotan
5th Gear
Received 157 Likes on 120 Posts
Finally a review from someone (2 people, actually), who knows how to drive this thing, and on the track no less!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBVDmN4jSoo
Told you! I don't know the guy with the glasses he, however, gave it a spank and confessed he was at 80%.
I have not seen anybody in manual mode yet. Fetching my GP 666 today,, might drive through to Aremberg.

KYDan (07-30-2020)
Old 07-30-2020, 05:17 AM
Fooj GP
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm sure i will get hated on, but i was able to test drive my GP i put in order in while back it finally came in. Its pretty quick i was able to give it some gas but since mine wasn't done with PPI i test drove someone else's so i didn't want to beat on it. I cant talk about tq steer since i wasn't able to hammer on the car. The sale's guy was younger and pretty relaxed, we both agreed Mini will have problems selling this. Between Covid 19, how long it took to get here and some badish reviews coming out. He already stated that Mini thought these would be selling better. So look on autotrader and there's a bunch so far up for sale and not all the mini made it over yet. Just like someone in this thread said earlier the GP2 (which i bought) didnt sell good either. I was able to buy my GP2 months after they were out and the dealer still had 3 more that weren't sold. I think its a fun car don't get me wrong but for the money now you can get alot more, GP2 were at what 39k if i remember and that was a lot of money for the car. Its just my opinion im sure ill get a lot of hate but i think you'll be seeing GP available for sometime.

Old 07-30-2020, 05:29 AM
KYDan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Fooj GP
I'm sure i will get hated on, but i was able to test drive my GP i put in order in while back it finally came in. Its pretty quick i was able to give it some gas but since mine wasn't done with PPI i test drove someone else's so i didn't want to beat on it. I cant talk about tq steer since i wasn't able to hammer on the car. The sale's guy was younger and pretty relaxed, we both agreed Mini will have problems selling this. Between Covid 19, how long it took to get here and some badish reviews coming out. He already stated that Mini thought these would be selling better. So look on autotrader and there's a bunch so far up for sale and not all the mini made it over yet. Just like someone in this thread said earlier the GP2 (which i bought) didnt sell good either. I was able to buy my GP2 months after they were out and the dealer still had 3 more that weren't sold. I think its a fun car don't get me wrong but for the money now you can get alot more, GP2 were at what 39k if i remember and that was a lot of money for the car. Its just my opinion im sure ill get a lot of hate but i think you'll be seeing GP available for sometime.
There have been stellar reviews, mediocre reviews, and a few bad reviews. The only ones that really count are the ones that purchasers make and most of them have been good. It is a unique automobile regardless and there is a very limited supply world wide. I can't speak for anyone other than myself and I have not received mine yet and I have not had the opportunity to drive one, but I do expect it to be better handling and faster than my JCW and I have had it since 2016 and it has been a lovely little beast to drive. I do expect the GP3 to take this to a new level albeit a rougher riding automobile as it is more track oriented, but if it is a twisty monster I will love it even with its perceived flaws and/or shortcomings.

DavidPinAZ (07-30-2020)
Old 07-30-2020, 06:57 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBVDmN4jSoo
OK - A right proper track review.

Comparing the car to an M2 CS is high praise for the GP3, indeed. I have been out on the track with an M2 (my cousin’s) and I can attest to how quick and capable of a track car a M2 is, and I believe the CS is a step up from there.

One note - The reviewer never talked about tire pressures. From my experience on the track with 200 wear rated tires, anything over 39 psi and the car will start to push, just like the guy said. On my JCW the recommend tire pressure is 42 psi cold and that will rise from there with use. So this car starts out with a tire pressure that is too high before the wheels ever roll. I am not surprised with the reviewer’s comments if the GP3’s tire pressures are in that range.

That said - could someone with a GP3 let us know what the MINI recommended tire pressure is?

Old 07-31-2020, 06:13 AM
SneakyBaron
2nd Gear
Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Stopped by my local dealer that had three listed online yesterday just to see it in person. Poor 1171 was right out front still with temp tags on it.

Didn't see the one of the listed ones till I had already left so they should still have one.

Didn't see any glass inside but a good layering of dirt all over the drivers inside.

Old 07-31-2020, 08:36 AM
DavidPinAZ
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Eddie07S
OK - A right proper track review.

Comparing the car to an M2 CS is high praise for the GP3, indeed. I have been out on the track with an M2 (my cousin’s) and I can attest to how quick and capable of a track car a M2 is, and I believe the CS is a step up from there.

One note - The reviewer never talked about tire pressures. From my experience on the track with 200 wear rated tires, anything over 39 psi and the car will start to push, just like the guy said. On my JCW the recommend tire pressure is 42 psi cold and that will rise from there with use. So this car starts out with a tire pressure that is too high before the wheels ever roll. I am not surprised with the reviewer’s comments if the GP3’s tire pressures are in that range.

That said - could someone with a GP3 let us know what the MINI recommended tire pressure is?
I believe he also said he wasn't using the OEM semii-slicks (200tw). Once I get mine back from the shop I'll see what the recommended psi is.

Old 07-31-2020, 08:49 AM
KYDan
5th Gear
I have been thinking about tires for the GP3 as I am not familiar with Hankooks. I will be driving mostly on twisty backroads and I have been considering non runflat Michelin Pilot Super Sports. I swapped out the OEM runflats on my JCWs immediately for the Michelin Pilot A/S 3+s and I am on set #4 of them now. They don't grip like the super sports, but they are a good compromise for all season all weather driving. However, with the power and torque of the GP I will give the super sports a try. And, I will not be driving it in cold weather.

Old 07-31-2020, 08:53 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by SneakyBaron
Stopped by my local dealer that had three listed online yesterday just to see it in person. Poor 1171 was right out front still with temp tags on it.

Didn't see the one of the listed ones till I had already left so they should still have one.

Didn't see any glass inside but a good layering of dirt all over the drivers inside.

That’s not a layer of dirt... That is dried leftovers from what was in the person’s pants when they did this...

Am I seeing this right? There is no damage on the outside of the car? I can only see dirt that appears to have been from a high speed off road excursion into a field?

Old 07-31-2020, 09:05 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
I believe he also said he wasn't using the OEM semii-slicks (200tw). Once I get mine back from the shop I'll see what the recommended psi is.
Thanks for offering to check...

At 28:20 the guy says that the tires were the road tires and that there is a track tire available which he was going to try... I took that to mean they were the 200TW tires. Not sure if I misunderstood?

Old 07-31-2020, 09:16 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
OMG - A dyno For the GP3

300+ HP, but he doesn’t say if that is at the wheels or has a correction in it for transmission and drivetrain losses. None the less, MINI isn’t overrating the engine... Woo Hoo!

Old 07-31-2020, 09:39 PM
Clutch Wotan
5th Gear
Received 157 Likes on 120 Posts
Zizik (08-01-2020)
Old 08-01-2020, 04:05 AM
KYDan
5th Gear
Congratulations! It appears you have already begun making it yours! Keep us posted with your modifications.

Clutch Wotan (08-02-2020)
Old 08-01-2020, 05:06 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Yes, congrats!

Looking forward to your driving impressions, also.

Old 08-01-2020, 07:22 AM
TheGeekGuy
4th Gear
Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts
Dyno Numbers

Old 08-01-2020, 08:06 AM
DavidPinAZ
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Eddie07S
Thanks for offering to check...

At 28:20 the guy says that the tires were the road tires and that there is a track tire available which he was going to try... I took that to mean they were the 200TW tires. Not sure if I misunderstood?
Yeah, now that you say it that way, I'm not sure either. Either way, tire pressure recommendations are: 36 front 32 rear.

Quick Reply: JCW 2020 MINI GP Article