JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 2nd Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs are discussed.

High Pressure Fuel Pump???

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2019, 04:41 AM
Jennifer Kintz
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High Pressure Fuel Pump???

I need some help!!! My 2009 JCW is not my daily driver so the last time I took it to stretch her legs I noticed it was hard to start. It did run but the next time I took it out it was spitting and sputtering. So I decided after reading some forums that I should change the fuel filter. So I did and while I had good access to the fuel in the tank, I siphoned the old gas out and put in new. NO START. So then I replaced the low pressure fuel pump. NO START. Then I checked all the relays because I could not find which one was the fuel pump relay and they were all good. Then I checked to make sure I was getting voltage at the fuel pump and I was. So now I am thinking that is is the High Pressure Fuel Pump. So why does Amazon sell one for $300 and Napa is selling theirs for $1500?? Is the one from Amazon bootleg? Does the HPFP seem like the culprit??

Old 09-14-2019, 03:33 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 432 Likes on 398 Posts
You could try quick start fluid and if it runs then it is the hpfp. I though the dealer sells them for close to 300 online. I personally couldn't go for the expensive one unless made of gold or something. Any who, call the dealer to see if you're still covered under warranty.

Old 09-14-2019, 04:49 AM
Cenla Mini
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I just changed my fuel filter and thought it was a bit more work than many have made out here in the forums. Getting the metal cover off was easy enough but getting the plastic lid off to access the filter IMO was a pain. I had a lot of trouble just getting it off and then putting it back on with a new o-ring was equally a pain just making sure it turned the 1/4 turn called for....so it may be worth your time to make sure you have a good seal in the tank but I think a scanner tool would let you know if there was a leak in the system.

If you go the HPFP route you may want to try Walmart. I don't know who their source is for parts but believe it or not they are advertising a HPFP for the R55 - R59 for $140.49...

Not sure if anyone has tried one but for that price it may be worth it.

High Pressure Fuel Pump for BMW Mini Cooper S Turbocharged R55-R59 13517573436

Last edited by Cenla Mini; 09-14-2019 at 04:54 AM.
Old 09-14-2019, 11:32 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 571 Likes on 487 Posts
Did you catch the name of the company selling this? Cacagoo - lol

Caca Goo, look up the definition. That is probably what you will get. lol

The following users liked this post:
Clutch Wotan (09-17-2019)
Old 09-14-2019, 12:20 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Received 241 Likes on 207 Posts
I just had mine replaced. I did extensive research online. Here is what I found. You can make your own decision, but do it informed.
The OEM pump is crazy expensive! But it will be brand new, the newest revision, and carry a 2 year warranty. There are pumps out there on eBay and Amazon for a lot less. There is one on Amazon for around $500 that seems to be fairly reliable. All of the cheaper ones have MULTIPLE reports of almost immediate failure some within seconds of install some minutes, and a few were reported to make it almost 100 miles before they died.
feel free to try one, but I would recommend OEM.
Call your dealership first. They did extend the warranty on the HPFP. Give them your vin and you may get lucky and get a free replacement like I did.
also, be careful which one you order. The N14 and early N18 had very similar Continental brand pumps, but they are not interchangeable. Make sure the part # is the right one.
good luck and keep us updated

Old 09-14-2019, 12:24 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
Did you catch the name of the company selling this? Cacagoo - lol

Caca Goo, look up the definition. That is probably what you will get. lol
Nice!
I saw this pump as well, but didn’t find much info on it. It’s really cheap, so there’s that, lol.

Old 09-15-2019, 06:55 AM
Cenla Mini
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
@Minnie.the.Moocher @MrGrumpy ..The part is actually sold and shipped by Weekendmart not Cacagoo...look a little further down in the link on Walmart.. but the point being... the original poster mentioned items on Amazon which are not likely any better or any worse than the one on Walmart. It may even be the same supplier or same original source. OEM is right at $1000...if you want your part to be warranted then you probably need to have a shop/certified mechanic do the install. If you read the fine print on most of the suppliers websites who sell OEM parts you may find you'll be out a significant chunk of change if they challenge your warranty claim. One of the OEM parts suppliers policy requires a "proper shop diagnosis...also may require in house testing...in the meantime you wait and your Mini sits...you don't get a lot better with Walmart's program but you can return the part with the original receipt to any Walmart store within 45 days of purchase if you're not satisfied.

Everyone does a risk/pain assessment...BTW..they have HPFP's advertised on Amazon for around the same price point as the one on Walmart.

Personally I have and will continue to use OEM when I can get it but I always weigh my options and I've also used off brand products through suppliers here on NAM as well as Amazon...I've never used Walmart for Auto Parts but a lot of their parts now come through Advance Auto parts....who does like Amazon and others...they don't have the same supplier for each part they sell.

I've read about the cheaper HPFP's failing on NAM and other websites but the OEM parts fail too. What we don't see in order to make a real informed decision is how many of the off brand/cheap HPFP's are working as intended? We only hear about the ones that fail and we don't know all the variables involved...ie...competency level of the person doing the install, whether or not they also changed the one fuel line with the weird end that connects to the HPFP...did they have the correct tool for the fuel line or did they watch a YouTube video show someone taking the fuel line off with a pair of pliers and a jury rigged press?

Anyway...

Old 09-15-2019, 07:08 AM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Those are some good points.
but I would like to point out that I have confirmed the warranty on OEM replacement parts from Mini carry the warranty regardless of installer.
like I mentioned, I certainly am not trying to tell you which one to buy, just passing along what I learned

Old 09-15-2019, 07:13 AM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Oh, and don’t forget to check with the dealership, the warranty extension is for 10 years or 120k, you are getting right up against it time-wise, but the mileage is probably ok, considering it’s not your daily. I was actually 9000 miles past the cut-off and they still honored it. It’s worth the phone call to find out.

The following users liked this post:
Cenla Mini (09-16-2019)
Old 09-16-2019, 07:14 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,091 Likes on 1,865 Posts
+1 Check the dealer if you have warranty and watch out on the low cost HPFP:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ge-hpfp-4.html
Post #91

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 09-16-2019, 08:07 AM
crj900
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
High Pressure Fuel Pump Replacement

I just had my HPFP replaced on my 2012 Mini R56S at miniofarlington in Texas, under the extended warranty. A little background, for the past 9 months or so, i would periodically get a rough running car and using my handy dandy Carly App, download the codes which were numerous, such as 2BEE, 2C01, 2EFE, and numerous other codes. Well, since i live 3hrs away from the nearest mini dealer, it would seem like when i could drive it over, nothing was going on. The codes, at times, would self clear and so according to the mini dealer, no code no replace pump. Well, this last time, the codes stayed on and boy was it a hassle trying to drive it over to the dealer to get it fixed. They saw the codes and did their testing and confirmed it was the HPFP and replaced it. They also said my plugs were fouled, gee imagine that, so I had to pay for new plugs and when i inquired as to how come mini didn't pay for the new plugs they said it they weren't covered, just the pump. I said, well the pump failure caused the fouling due to incorrect fuel mixture, they agreed, but according to mini no incidentals are covered. What a bunch of crap, but anyhow, it is running great now and no codes

Old 09-24-2019, 08:36 AM
david_foster
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MrGrumpy
Oh, and don’t forget to check with the dealership, the warranty extension is for 10 years or 120k, you are getting right up against it time-wise, but the mileage is probably ok, considering it’s not your daily. I was actually 9000 miles past the cut-off and they still honored it. It’s worth the phone call to find out.
How did you get your dealership to honor the warranty with 9K extra miles? I just talked to my dealer, I'm a year under and 4K miles over and they said no way. Maybe people are just nicer in WA.