JCW Long time BMW enthusiast looking at 2021 JCW Hardtop - lots of newb questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2020, 09:49 AM
rtowell
4th Gear
Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts
The JCW exhaust is nice. I have it on my 2018, and I like it, but would rather that it could be open all the time. It is a port installation.
One of the reasons I went with the Remus exhaust is the fact that it defaults to the last setting so keeping it open all the time is easy. Their Bluetooth works great and, if you want, you can use the app on your phone to customize your setting based on a number of inputs (e.g., RPMs). Also, it is lighter the JCW Pro.

Last edited by rtowell; 12-31-2020 at 09:29 AM.
Old 12-30-2020, 04:32 PM
Chamberlin1
4th Gear
Received 189 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by rtowell
One of the reasons I went with the Remus exhaust is the fact that it defaults to the last setting so keeping it open all the time is easy. Their Bluetooth works great and, it you want, you can use the app on your phone to customize your setting based on a number of inputs (e.g., RPMs). Also, it is lighter the JCW Pro.
I think the Remus exhaust is my only option as the 2021 JCWs no longer have the JCW Pro bluetooth controlled exhaust available (i.e. the physical exhaust fits of course, but the electronics on the newer cars no longer accommodates it).

Old 12-31-2020, 09:29 AM
rtowell
4th Gear
Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts
I really like the Remus. Great sound, very deep, lots of pops and bangs; but no drone at all at highway speeds. Also, none of the bluetooth issues associated with the JCW Pro unit. Highly recommended.

Old 12-31-2020, 02:41 PM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I see that you ordered the same wheels as I have. Me too on the Mini wheels. I don’t like the tire size either, so I ordered 225 x 40 x 18’s and the NM Re12’s. They should be here next week. Some say that these tires won’t work, but I have 225 x 45’s on my current mini orange edition and they are 26” tall, rather than the original 24.7”, so I doubt that I’ll have any problems. No hitting, no problems with full turns now either.

Old 12-31-2020, 03:57 PM
Chamberlin1
4th Gear
Originally Posted by hemisedan
I see that you ordered the same wheels as I have. Me too on the Mini wheels. I don’t like the tire size either, so I ordered 225 x 40 x 18’s and the NM Re12’s. They should be here next week. Some say that these tires won’t work, but I have 225 x 45’s on my current mini orange edition and they are 26” tall, rather than the original 24.7”, so I doubt that I’ll have any problems. No hitting, no problems with full turns now either.
Yea I can't wait to order some new wheels and tires myself, still haven't decided on which yet, although the bronze RSe52's are on my list. I'll be installing the JCW Pro coilovers too (already have them on-hand), and still need to figure out what camber plates to use. I wish there were more wheel choices though, these super high-offset wheels drive me nuts on all the new cars these days. Let us know how the tire fitment goes with the 225's...

Old 12-31-2020, 07:00 PM
hemisedan
6th Gear
I just checked, mine are the silver NM RE52’S. I talked to them a NM Engineering, and they are discontinuing several of their wheels, so hence, deals are on them. I got a pretty good deal on them, and I am tired of the black wheel/tire combination now. I’ve had that for 10 years now on different cars, and wanted a different look. Being Enigmatic Black, I can go with just about any color wheel, but this hits me best, for right now. And by the way, the car hit the dealer this afternoon, at about 5:00. I’m going to take a look on my way home tonight, after work. It’ll be nice to see my little baby in the flesh. As for other modifications, I don’t know just yet. I do intend on doing another Dinantronics unit again. I like the one that’s in my current JCW, and Dinan tells me that if I liked that one, I will love the new one that’s due out in a month or so.

The following 2 users liked this post by hemisedan:
Blainestang (01-02-2021), Chamberlin1 (01-01-2021)
Old 01-01-2021, 05:06 PM
Chamberlin1
4th Gear
I just checked, mine are the silver NM RE52’S. I talked to them a NM Engineering, and they are discontinuing several of their wheels, so hence, deals are on them. I got a pretty good deal on them, and I am tired of the black wheel/tire combination now. I’ve had that for 10 years now on different cars, and wanted a different look. Being Enigmatic Black, I can go with just about any color wheel, but this hits me best, for right now. And by the way, the car hit the dealer this afternoon, at about 5:00. I’m going to take a look on my way home tonight, after work. It’ll be nice to see my little baby in the flesh. As for other modifications, I don’t know just yet. I do intend on doing another Dinantronics unit again. I like the one that’s in my current JCW, and Dinan tells me that if I liked that one, I will love the new one that’s due out in a month or so.

Damn, they're discontinuing some of the Neuspeed wheels for the MINI JCW? Did you notice that F chassis JCW is not available on the RSe52 in the dropdown menu? https://neuspeedrswheels.com/collect...s/nm-eng-rse52

I wish you could choose wheels by chassis type on the Neuspeed webpage.

Old 01-02-2021, 09:08 PM
Blainestang
6th Gear
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Chamberlin1
Damn, they're discontinuing some of the Neuspeed wheels for the MINI JCW? Did you notice that F chassis JCW is not available on the RSe52 in the dropdown menu? https://neuspeedrswheels.com/collect...s/nm-eng-rse52

I wish you could choose wheels by chassis type on the Neuspeed webpage.
Oh, bummer. I assumed they were just missing some F56 options because they were sold out or something. Because some wheels that don't have F56 sizing options have pictures of F56s. Guess the real reason is that they're being discontinued. But not the R56 versions? Strange.

Old 01-03-2021, 06:44 AM
hemisedan
6th Gear
What the guy that I talked to said, was that their wheels all clear the Brembo JCW and BMW brakes. The BMW are 120’s while the JCW’s are 112. What they are doing right now is testing new wheels. The ones that I am excited about, but are 6 months away are like their race wheel, but with 7 spokes. They aren’t quitting business, but just discontinuing wheels that they feel need replaced. At least that is what I got out of this customer service guy. I’d like to see a wheel that has the appearance of the race wheel that Mini had back in the 60’s, and even had for the R series Mini’s too, but no one has them.

And I hope that Dinan comes out with their new upgrade too. Everytime that I talk with them, they say how much of an increase that the new system is over the last one. That is one modification, that I will purchase. I had the old version on my previous JCW, and for me, it worked great, no problems, as some have talked about. Now, the wait for my new little guy this week. I’m having the paint protector and interior done, and the film protection, too. I’ve had that on my previous JCW too, and it sure helps with the bug splatter problems. I thought that they were crazy putting it on the headlights, and mirrors, until I saw what it did. Can’t wait to drive it, and get my A/S Michelin’s on it, and gets rid of those 205’s.

The following 2 users liked this post by hemisedan:
Blainestang (01-03-2021), Chamberlin1 (01-03-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 06:49 AM
hemisedan
6th Gear
I’ve got the JCW Pro exhaust, and after I finally figured out that you have to plush it in twice, it has worked very well. But, I still don’t understand why you can’t just keep it in the open position, standard. They had my new JCW warming up yesterday, and it sure sounded quiet. I have to get rid of that, most definitely. But, I ran the rpm’s up a little, and it certainly pop’s more than my old car, even with the JCW exhaust in normal. Even at my age, I still want a lot more sound. Did you put your Remus system on, or did you have it done at a muffler shop, or whatever?

Old 01-03-2021, 07:01 AM
TheGeekGuy
4th Gear
Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts
I’ve got the JCW Pro exhaust, and after I finally figured out that you have to plush it in twice, it has worked very well. But, I still don’t understand why you can’t just keep it in the open position, standard. They had my new JCW warming up yesterday, and it sure sounded quiet. I have to get rid of that, most definitely. But, I ran the rpm’s up a little, and it certainly pop’s more than my old car, even with the JCW exhaust in normal. Even at my age, I still want a lot more sound. Did you put your Remus system on, or did you have it done at a muffler shop, or whatever?
You can have it opened all the time. Google it and you'll find the instructions for pulling the power to the flap motor while the car is running. It is what I did and it has been open permanently for 5 years without an issue.

Old 01-03-2021, 09:17 AM
Chamberlin1
4th Gear
You guys with the older JCWs are making me sad with your BT flappers! Since the electronic aspect of that exhaust is not available for my 2021 JCW, does anybody know at what mileage the over-run burbles will start happening? I thought I heard 1000 miles. I'm only at 600 so far.

On the coding front, I did receive the OBDLink CX module the other day, but I couldn't get it to connect to any of our phones or tablets through the standard BLE protocol (using the OBDLink app). So I sent that one back as defective and got a replacement....same problem.

So I eventually was able to connect by pairing directly in the Android menu (which you're not supposed to do if you want to use the OBDLink app), and was successful in coding using BimmerLink/BimmerCode for another $46 purchase. I'm guessing the first OBDLink CX module I received was fine too, just that neither will connect via BLE, only standard BT pairing. I would have gotten the first unit to work too, if I just had hit the pair request twice... the first time I hit pair, a message pops up saying to pair with the app... but as I later discovered, if you hit pair a second time, it will bypass that message and pair directly with the CX BT module. Then you can use BimmerCode directly from there.

There are a veritable ****-ton of options in BimmerCode, but the only ones I engaged so far are 'always start the car in Sport mode', 'turn off auto start/stop by default', disable the fake engine sounds, and I tried reducing the intensity of the angle eyes when they're being used as DRLs, but that didn't seem to do anything. I mainly wanted to turn them down/off just for when I'm sitting in the garage messing with stuff so that I'm not adding to the battery drain. Maybe I need to look again in the i-Drive menu for the setting... but it sure would be nice if they had a MINI toggle switch for them directly, with save last setting function. Those angle eyes are intense! You can almost drive around at night with them as your sole lights (obviously very diffuse light pattern, but in a pinch maybe!).

Last edited by Chamberlin1; 01-04-2021 at 03:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Clutch Wotan (01-09-2021)
Old 01-04-2021, 11:37 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
I think the Remus exhaust is my only option as the 2021 JCWs no longer have the JCW Pro bluetooth controlled exhaust available (i.e. the physical exhaust fits of course, but the electronics on the newer cars no longer accommodates it).
That's a drag. I like that my exhaust sounds different in the Sport mode that opens up the other tailpipe outlet on the left side. I don't have that BT thing like the LCW Pro though.

Old 01-08-2021, 07:00 PM
sycd
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a veritable ****-ton of options in BimmerCode, but the only ones I engaged so far are 'always start the car in Sport mode', 'turn off auto start/stop by default', disable the fake engine sounds, and I tried reducing the intensity of the angle eyes when they're being used as DRLs, but that didn't seem to do anything. I mainly wanted to turn them down/off just for when I'm sitting in the garage messing with stuff so that I'm not adding to the battery drain. Maybe I need to look again in the i-Drive menu for the setting... but it sure would be nice if they had a MINI toggle switch for them directly, with save last setting function. Those angle eyes are intense! You can almost drive around at night with them as your sole lights (obviously very diffuse light pattern, but in a pinch maybe!).
How's the interior without the fake noises? Did you notice a big difference?

Clutch Wotan (01-09-2021)
Old 01-09-2021, 10:03 AM
Chamberlin1
4th Gear
Originally Posted by sycd
How's the interior without the fake noises? Did you notice a big difference?
Oh yea, it's *dead* silent... Huge difference. I'm still wondering if I will ever get over-run burbles on this car, but I will wait until after 1200 mile period before I start worrying.

Old 02-01-2021, 10:41 AM
KCinLex
2nd Gear
Received 63 Likes on 42 Posts
ok.....green with envy here! Mini does make a piano black trim kit for the exterior beltline. Check on YouTube one of the guys has a video of him removing the chrome beltline and putting black one in its place. He said it cost around $500. but was OEM. So I can help with at least one of your questions. KC

Old 02-01-2021, 12:17 PM
Chamberlin1
4th Gear
Talking

Originally Posted by KCinLex
ok.....green with envy here! Mini does make a piano black trim kit for the exterior beltline. Check on YouTube one of the guys has a video of him removing the chrome beltline and putting black one in its place. He said it cost around $500. but was OEM. So I can help with at least one of your questions. KC
Thanks for the envy KC! Regarding the belt-line trim, you mean my video link post here? https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...from-mini.html

Old 02-01-2021, 12:28 PM
Chamberlin1
4th Gear
Washed the car this weekend after my first MINI club run to Mammoth AZ.

First oil change performed today, at 1100 miles. Cost $106 (not part of the 3 year 36,000 mile plan), but I think it's worth it. Got a Paddy Hopkirk surprise at the dealer too. And some nice Countryman wheels that sadly won't fit my JCW...

Picked up a couple of key fobs from Fun Fobs... very nice and heavy key add-ons.

Still waiting to hear burble/over-run... exhaust is dead silent so far.

The following 2 users liked this post by Chamberlin1:
///Matthew (02-01-2021), Speedy-218 (02-18-2021)
Old 02-02-2021, 05:29 AM
jeeper02
Neutral
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 2020 JCW and only really get the burbles when in sport manual mode. My car has 2200 miles on it so far, definitely more burbles now than when it had 1000 miles. I mostly drive around in sport automatic mode and don't hear any burbles motoring around town.

Oh yea, it's *dead* silent... Huge difference. I'm still wondering if I will ever get over-run burbles on this car, but I will wait until after 1200 mile period before I start worrying.

Chamberlin1 (02-02-2021)
Old 02-02-2021, 06:42 PM
Chamberlin1
4th Gear
Originally Posted by jeeper02
I have a 2020 JCW and only really get the burbles when in sport manual mode. My car has 2200 miles on it so far, definitely more burbles now than when it had 1000 miles. I mostly drive around in sport automatic mode and don't hear any burbles motoring around town.
I coded my car to be in Sport Mode on start up, so when and if they start burbling, I should notice immediately. I also have the fake sound turned off too, so it should be a very noticeable change.

Old 02-02-2021, 07:34 PM
F54Alex
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
WOW i am really digging those wheels! have any more info on them?? style etc.

Old 02-02-2021, 07:56 PM
Chamberlin1
4th Gear
Originally Posted by F54Alex
WOW i am really digging those wheels! have any more info on them?? style etc.
eBay link with info

Old 02-03-2021, 03:30 AM
jeeper02
Neutral
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I coded my car to be in Sport Mode on start up, so when and if they start burbling, I should notice immediately. I also have the fake sound turned off too, so it should be a very noticeable change.
Mine is also coded to start up in Sport mode, but I only hear the pops and burbles when using the paddle shifters (sport manual mode). If not using the paddle shifters it's in sport automatic mode and I do not hear any pops and burbles.

Try using the paddle shifters to do the shifting yourself and you should hear something ... especially on downshift to 3rd gear.

Old 02-03-2021, 06:08 AM
Chamberlin1
4th Gear
Originally Posted by jeeper02
Mine is also coded to start up in Sport mode, but I only hear the pops and burbles when using the paddle shifters (sport manual mode). If not using the paddle shifters it's in sport automatic mode and I do not hear any pops and burbles.

Try using the paddle shifters to do the shifting yourself and you should hear something ... especially on downshift to 3rd gear.
Not sure if you have been following the thread from the beginning, mine is a manual.

Old 02-13-2021, 03:00 PM
Chamberlin1
4th Gear
OK, I'm now well over 1300 miles, and absolutely no sign of over-run burbles. Did they delete this feature from the ECU/DME firmware for 2021? If so, I'm going to be little pissed off...

Only mods I've done are through a Bluetooth dongle; turning off the fake engine noises, and forcing the car to start up in Sport mode, and handful of lighting adjustments. I wouldn't imagine that would affect the over-run burbles. It's bad enough they stopped offering the BT controlled JCW exhaust for 2021, but to completely neuter the fun-factor of the over-run burbles seems a bit ridiculous for a $43K top end spec'd JCW MINI.

I'm going to shoot a text to my MA and see if he knows anything. It was pretty embarrassing today at Cars N' Coffee, as my buddy was filming for his BMW E30 vlog, and had me rev the JCW engine for his camera....I warned him there wasn't going to be anything special, and sure enough, he got the equivalent sound of a stock Honda Accord. I want my R53 JCW back more than ever now! Regardless I gotta get new wheels ASAP, as I've never taken so much heat for ugly wheels/stretched tires on any of my cars like this in the past! LOL I knew these wheels were bad going in though, so I'm not surprised at the level of hate there.

I can easily manage the cosmetic issues no problem (black belt line trim, new wheels/tires, coil overs, paint correction/ceramic etc...), but if I can't get the rev-hang and burbles issue squared away via an ECU tune or something, I'm going to feel a bit short-changed on this purchase; which is not where I was expecting to be. </RANT OFF>

Quick Reply: JCW Long time BMW enthusiast looking at 2021 JCW Hardtop - lots of newb questions