JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 2nd Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs are discussed.

Drive Shaft/Axle coming out for "No reason".

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2021, 03:23 PM
Staxtis
3rd Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Drive Shaft/Axle coming out for "No reason".

Guys thats the second time that my driveshaft/axle came out and i lost my gear oil...!!

1st time that happens i thought that because car was stripped out etc etc might was a problem on fitting(however it did it several days after i took it from workshop)
So i bought 2 sealing ring(OEM)replace them and put the shaft in its position.
It doesnt have bolts or anything its just "CLIP" inside.
So i thought that was it.

1-2weeks later im going to my garage and i see gear oil again on the floor.
Axle again is out!!

Need help if anyone can tell me why car might behaved like that.
New osgiken clutch + wavetrac differential installed.

Old 05-24-2021, 10:48 AM
E34M5
3rd Gear
Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts
install a new retainer clip and make sure your traction control is turned off when you are driving it hard, especially around corners. Your wavetrak will lock up on tire slip and your traction control will also be activated, this can cause some very bad vibrations etc. they tend to work against one another, something has got to give. If you don't turn off your traction control something is sure to break inside the transmission, luckily it just spit out the axle. Another issue you may have is the CV joints are bad, setting up a vibration, check to make sure they are working nice and smooth

Old 05-24-2021, 01:42 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
When installing the axle, after getting the clip past the housing, there should be an "indent" or "groove" for the clip to seat in, about a half inch or so further in. This applies for each axle and is what's supposed to keep the axles from slipping out. Also makes it tough to remove the axles --- gotta hold the axle so it goes in or comes out straight, not at an angle.

Is the mechanic doing the work for you familiar with Mini's, or are you their learning experience?

Old 05-25-2021, 01:02 AM
Staxtis
3rd Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbrokenwind
When installing the axle, after getting the clip past the housing, there should be an "indent" or "groove" for the clip to seat in, about a half inch or so further in. This applies for each axle and is what's supposed to keep the axles from slipping out. Also makes it tough to remove the axles --- gotta hold the axle so it goes in or comes out straight, not at an angle.

Is the mechanic doing the work for you familiar with Mini's, or are you their learning experience?
Thank you for the time spend replying on my msg.
The way that this fixed is the following.

1.Mechanic is very experienced and its an executive workshop for minis and BMW.
2.Wavetrac differential has a slightly smaller(wide) spline where the clip being attached. So we made the clip a bit thinner in order to hold better and it was/is
3.Since the car has -1 camber on stock mode if you make it -2 or -3 there is no problem is axle distance is not making bigger.HOWEVER if you make the camber 0(as mine was) the distance getting bigger so axle want to come out..

4.Thats why we made it clip/hold better and then pproblem stopped even with 0 camber. Now im -2 camber never had this problem again.

Thank you!