F55/F56 Exhaust recommendations for 2021 MINI JCW

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2023, 06:58 AM
smilly
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust recommendations for 2021 MINI JCW

Hey there,

I have a 2021 JCW 3dr hardtop and I checked underneath and I do not have a GPF and in sport mode I get occasional pops/burbles. I'm finding conflicting information online on what is a good exhaust to enhance the sounds and it seems like the GPF have people confused on what is and isn't possible/recommended. I asked the dealer if they can install the JCW pro exhaust but said they couldn't since its a 2021 and they newest they do is 2019.

Does anyone have any recommendations for exhaust or if you had any luck getting a dealer to install the JCW Pro? As far as I am aware it fits no problem but its just their internal system that states it.

Old 08-19-2023, 03:31 PM
MikeMJCW
4th Gear
Received 107 Likes on 84 Posts
Check this thread out, they mention pops and bangs.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-and-bang.html

The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (08-21-2023)
Old 08-21-2023, 08:14 AM
starman202
1st Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by smilly
Hey there,

I have a 2021 JCW 3dr hardtop and I checked underneath and I do not have a GPF and in sport mode I get occasional pops/burbles. I'm finding conflicting information online on what is a good exhaust to enhance the sounds and it seems like the GPF have people confused on what is and isn't possible/recommended. I asked the dealer if they can install the JCW pro exhaust but said they couldn't since its a 2021 and they newest they do is 2019.

Does anyone have any recommendations for exhaust or if you had any luck getting a dealer to install the JCW Pro? As far as I am aware it fits no problem but its just their internal system that states it.
Even though the JCW Pro Exhaust will fit without issues (both exhaust and electronic parts), the Mini Dealer Catalogue System will say up to 2019 compatibility. This is due to US emission requirements on 2020+ vehicles; therefor, JCW Pro exhaust is technically not allowed to be on a 2020+ vehicle. This is the reason why you won't find a Mini dealer that'll install it (they don't want the liability). In addition, if there was a warranty issue on the car due to the exhaust system and\or an issue with the muffler and its electronics itself, Mini North America will not cover it as it was installed on a VIN# that is listed as not compatible [2020+]. That said you have options:

Easiest install would be non-vavled Catback systems [these are complete system that bolt right up without modifications].
  • NM Engineering Exhaust system; this is pretty much a straight pipe with a Helmholtz resonator [sometime known as J-Pipe] attached to it. This is to cancel out frequencies that would otherwise cause drone
  • Miltek Sport [non-vavle version] (they have both Resonated and Non-Resonated options)
  • aFe has catback, however, per their pictures it looks like sleeve type of mid pipe connector for Euro-Spec OEM downpipe. I'd reach out to aFe if they have the adapter or the option to make it work on US-Spec OEM downpipe as those use V-clamps instead).
The least expensive and another easy for a muffler shop to install option are axle back Mufflers. This requires cutting the existing muffler off but reusing the OEM midpipe
  • Dinan (good quality, i've had Dinan on my BMW, only downside is muffler is quite large which will be visible)
  • Remus Axle-back (more expensive option but sleeker muffler design)
Lastly you have Valve'd options. These will be expensive and more time consuming to install due to running the electronics within the cars cabin [i'd reach out to Muffler or performance shops to see if they've installed valved exhaust systems in the past as it may require removal of interior plastics to run the power wire to control the valve]
  • Remus and Miltek are very expensive but quality exhaust systems.
  • Armytrix is another option, i've had this exhaust on my Supra. But be Warned it's not as loud as the YouTube videos make it seem to be [the Audio in Armytrix YouTube videos over exaggerated. In fact on my Supra it was a quieter option as the vavle'd side is not a straight through design; i'd assume the Mini version is the same (the JCW Pro is straight pipe on the vavle side)
  • JCW Pro - this is what I have on the my 22 F56 Mini -- I did the install myself so yes it fits.

ghstrdr (08-21-2023)
Old 08-21-2023, 02:58 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Received 520 Likes on 432 Posts
Before purchasing ANY exhaust to muffler, verify the pipe size.
JCW is 70mm.

NM for example is a 60mm exhaust for an S NOT JCW.

Buy the JCWPro and find an independent MINI repair shop to install.

ghstrdr (08-22-2023)
Old 08-22-2023, 11:55 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,097 Likes on 1,871 Posts
Yep 2020+ got a little messy. More systems are in the 2014-2019 range. Some people are taking the 2020+ F56 Cooper S system and making it work with the Factory JCW. But its up to the dealer if they want to install and flash it. Some people said they got it to work, some people said the dealer would not help them. MINI kept all the flash info/software in house and that's what made it messy.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...or-2020-a.html

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-s-2020-a.html

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...s-have-it.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172