JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Changing JCW exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2005, 05:13 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Changing JCW exhaust

I thini the JCW exhaust is WAY to quiet

Has anybody taking their JCW exhaust and replace with Borla sport or something else?

Does is void the JCW Warrenty?

Old 06-19-2005, 09:16 AM
camelpilot
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chows4us

Has anybody taking their JCW exhaust and replace with Borla sport or something else?

where are you located? If in Southern Cali, I'll buy your exhaust. :D

Old 06-19-2005, 10:30 AM
eVal
6th Gear
Funny, I just had someone remark on how nice my JCW sounded when I pulled away yesterday. I don't hear it much inside the car (I often have music on) but evidently it sounds good from the outside

Can't say how it might effect your JCW warranty, shouldn't be an issue but each situation varies and who's to know how they would deal with the kit being tinkered with down the line? Sounds ridiculous to blame anything on the exhaust replacement but BMW/MINI service is often not logical in my experience. If you can afford it, keep the JCW so you can pop it back on when you take it in for service

Old 06-19-2005, 11:07 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts

The JCW exhaust is "supposed to" sound that way and it IS quiet.
This is a "positive" selling point for JCW.
If you replace the JCW cat back exhaust it will void the exhaust warranty but not the entire JCW kit.

Yes you can replace the exhaust with a louder exhaust and it will be fine.
Probably more power but also more exhaust noise and possibly droning at about 3000 rpm on the highway.

Another solution that is possible is to keep your JCW exhaust but remove (or replace with straight pipe) just the centerpipe resonator which is right after the header. This might improve your exhaust note. This mod would likely void your JCW exhaust warranty itself but exhausts are pretty long lasting as is.

Old 06-19-2005, 11:25 AM
minimonkey
4th Gear

For under $100 you can have the "resonator" removed from the JCW exhaust. It makes the sound louder and deeper... but not too loud. In fact, I drive with my rear seats folded down, just so I can hear the exhaust better.

Also your car will have more power and get better gas mileage! That's what happened for me.

Removing the "resonator" is a great way to go. I think your in So. California... take it to Steve's Auto Clinic in North Hills. You'll love the results!

Old 06-19-2005, 01:00 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Thank You

No, not I'm not in CA, in the mid-Atlantic.

From everything I've read, I think I would be crazy to pay for the exhaust just to rip it out. Besides, the boss says NO! Spend the money on something else and since its HER car, I gotta listen

Old 06-19-2005, 03:18 PM
camelpilot
Banned
Ok since you wont be able to sell to me, I'll tell you the truth. Your JCW exhaust is actually pretty loud for bystanders. For some reason though, you dont really hear how loud from the drivers seat. The sound is really nice, even with the resonator. I would do the right thing and keep the exhaust. Besides, no other MINI exhaust in the world has tips as pretty as the JCW.

Old 06-20-2005, 07:07 PM
Bob ///Margolis
2nd Gear

I replaced my JCW with a Remus. It's not NEARLY loud enough for me. The Remus is only slightly louder than the JCW.

Old 06-21-2005, 09:05 AM
pyugala
3rd Gear
Replace your header with SuperSprint or Miltec :smile:

Old 06-28-2005, 02:25 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minihune
The JCW exhaust is "supposed to" sound that way and it IS quiet.
I have pretty much decided the JCW is just to quiet. I watched John Cooper video and he explained he wanted it quiet because he gotten old and wants it quiet!

If I switch to like a Borla Sport, Will it in any way effect the engine, computer, whatever or will it just hum away, but louder (and hopefully more HP)>

Has anyone does this?

Old 06-28-2005, 07:55 PM
minimonkey
4th Gear
Have the "resonator" removed from your JCW exhuast... it will not only give you the louder sound your after... but will improve your gas mileage and give you MORE POWER! It's a simple and cheap mod to do. If your in the Southern California area... call Steve's Auto Clinic in North Hills, CA to get it done right.

Thats what I did, and couldn't be happier. I felt the same way you did when first getting my Mini with the JCW kit.