Marketplace - Archive Old Marketplace threads and posts (Read-only). Please use appropriate Marketplace forum for new posts.

Stainless Steel Trailer Hitch for MCS

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 10:02 AM
Jdewey
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trailer

No, It won't fit the MINIFINI stuff, I built it from scratch.

Directions etc are at:
http://user.mc.net/~jdewey/MINI/Trai...r_Hitches.html

USE AN ELECTRICAL ISOLATOR do NOT connect the trailer lights directly to the MINI. Details are in the web page cited above.

I have owned that trailer longer than the MINI. It used to be just plain plywood.

I decided to paint the cover to protect it from the rain. I was looking through the "spare" paint in the basement, when I found the blue paint. It was obvious what I had to do. It was a simple matter to pull the trailer sides off and paint the sides blue, the bottom black, and the top white.

The trailer is just the local home stores version of the small one they sell at Harbor frieght.

John

Old 10-04-2005, 10:35 AM
markbradford
5th Gear
Interesting solution. I think it looks sufficiently hidden when not in use as well.

Is there any bracing to prevent vertical force from breaking the hitch off the frame? Any more pics of the actual mount point?

Old 10-04-2005, 01:21 PM
Jdewey
4th Gear
Hitch

We are hijacking this thread...

there are pictures at the URL, here is the best one of the mounting point.

http://user.mc.net/~jdewey/MINI/Trai..._installed.jpg

I first had done a bracket of lighter steel, and bolted it through the floor, but between the lighter steel, and the 4 inch longer leverage arm, it bent during testing.

I have been using this one for over a year, and I sit my 250 pounds on the trailer tongue with out any bending or deflection.

I am in McHenry County Illinois, you can stop by and look at it if you are nearby.

Check out the directions for the BMW MINI hitch, and the sport link, to get a better idea how they attach. Links to those are in the web page.

Somewhere on this site is a photo of a 1.25 reciever bolted to the bottom of the battery box. The poster lives in Toronto and had it done by a local shop.

John

Old 10-05-2005, 08:29 PM
crashkarl
1st Gear
" JUST HITCHIN"

I'm sorry that some of you can't afford my hitch, but there is a cheaper one available for $50 plus NYS sales tax. Just come to my shop I'll sell you a base kit of raw materials and in a matter of no time I'm sure you'll be able to put something together. I have about 10 in various stages of production, when the're gone I to will be out of the MINI hitch business. I have never had a complaint from a buyer, that's what really counts to me. Thanks Karl

Old 10-06-2005, 06:48 AM
Jdewey
4th Gear
Just Hitchin

Karl.

Sorry to hear you are going out of production. Lots of people have benefited from the work by you and your brother.

Good Luck
John

Old 10-06-2005, 07:08 AM
doomsdaybob
4th Gear
Just a note for those out there thinking Karl's hitch is expensive. Keep in mind MINI FINI is dead. Bankrupt and gone. Tried to find someone to invest or buy into to keep going but no takers. Once already limited stock is gone there will be no more.

Disclaimer - I don't own a hitch on my MINI. I do like to see people like Karl take the initiative, time, money, and talent to develop solutions for problems. If the price is too high you haven't priced a decent set of shop and welding tools lately. Just my .02

Old 10-06-2005, 04:18 PM
crashkarl
1st Gear
Still lotsa time

Thanks for the kind words. At the present rate of sale what I have in the pipeline will take a couple of years to sell off. In the meantime if anyone wants to take over the supply, the jigs etc. can be had cheap. I like new challenges and this one has run it's course. I'm working on a mind blowing idea now that sucks up all my creative time. Can't say more until the patent pending stuff is filed. so don't ask. Thanks for now and keep the orders coming, Karl

Last edited by crashkarl; 10-06-2005 at 04:20 PM. Reason: forgot to proof
Old 11-28-2005, 05:01 PM
tornado
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Karl's Hitch in action...

Bought this hitch from Karl 2 years back. Works great for my catamaran tilt trailer:

Mike.