Massachusetts Motoring Club An owners club for residents of Massachusetts and neighboring states to promote communication with other members via its on-line forum and to encourage the organization of motoring events. Visit our club site at www.massmotoringclub.com

2005 John Cooper Works won't pass MA inspection

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 05:41 PM
jenniebuns81
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 John Cooper Works won't pass MA inspection

Hi all! I just joined, so if I am in the wrong spot, please let me know. I searched for this problem, but didn't find any results.

I recently purchased a 2005 JC Works 6 speed convertible in Massachusetts. My initial inspection failed and directed me to a MAC testing facility, since I had no idea what or why (the kid that did my inspection was on drugs, literally) and offered no explanation. I went back to my dealership with the print out and asked a) why it didn't pass and b) why I was being referred to a specialized testing center. The advice I received, in hindsight was extremely poor, was drive it 100 miles and come back, that they had never seen this before and chalked it up to them recently replacing their machine and it wasn't anything to be concerned about. I drove it 100 miles and went back, this time they took the MAC reference seriously as the inspection couldn't continue and hopped on the phone, made an appointment and got the following results: My evaporative system monitor is not supported and my car computer needed to be updated to support this code obdii (carb). I called my dealership with the information I received and they in turn made an appointment with my local Mini Dealership for next Tuesday. The service manager called me back to confirm my appointment and laid the following news on me, that my local dealership had 3 JC Works on the lot that they can't move b/c they are not passing MA state inspection, but that they would try the update on my Mini and hope that it will work (I believe they have not tested my model year) but that the outlook is bleak as Mini USA is aware of the issue and has not come up with a fix. So my question is, has anyone else encountered this issue and if so, how did it get fixed or if anyone knows who I should call/contact or what my next course of action is. Any advice or help is greatly appreciated.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:26 AM
cmt52663
6th Gear
Received 313 Likes on 236 Posts
Bloody hell mate, that's a new one. My JCW 2004 just passed again, and I've never had a worry.

Any more detail on the specifics? I am not at all clear on what MAC means...

Cheers,

Charlie

Old 04-26-2012, 05:42 AM
jenniebuns81
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Charlie!

It stands for Massachusetts Vehicle Assistance Center (http://www.vehicletest.state.ma.us/m...emissions.html), my pal Tony over there identified the specific issue (evap system monitor needed a new code) and gave me what needed to be fixed. I contacted Mini USA via email last night as well and am waiting on a response, I also put in a call to my lawyer (just in case).