Middle Georgia MINIs MINI Owners and Enthusiasts of Middle Georgia. Visit our club site at www.middlegeorgiaminis.com.

Wiper Delete kit installation (Craven Speed)

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 12:17 AM
Desmobot
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wiper Delete kit installation (Craven Speed)

So when I ordered my intake I also ordered a wiper delete kit from Craven Speed. I figured I had $20 bucks to blow, not to mention I'm about to apply a graphic across my rear windshield and I don't need some wiper tearing up my nice vinyl like a bad needle on that favorite old record of yours (silly old people ) OKAY! So here it goes...

1.Grab beverage of choice (I like a good craft beer , but if you are under 21 grab a Cream Soda...next best thing to beer!)

2. Prepare to spend the next 20 mins to an hour doing this project. It took me a while because things don't always cooperate in the world of maintenance.

3.Install kit. And your done! Oh pictures and stuff, right...I guess it might help to explain it a bit...

Tools required: 1/4 inch ratchet and socket set, allen wrenches, Phillips screwdriver (1st gen), TORX bits (2nd gen only), windex, and arms (borrow another person if yours are wimpy, I'm not joking!). You may need some other special tools and you will see what I mean in a minute...but for now just stick with this.

The directions are actually very good and the supplied hardware is perfect for the job.

First thing is to remove the rear hatch cover. Open hatch so you are working on it above you. There will be 6 phillips head screws or a few Torx screws (1st and 2nd gen respectively). Remove these. The panel will remain in place because it has some snap fasteners holding it up.

Now take hold of one of those pull-handles toward the bottom of the door and give it a good tug. It will sound like you broke something...this is normal! It is just the snaps coming out. If actually do break something don't hold me responsible for your herculean strength and lack of finesse!
Keep pulling around the edge of the panel working your way around until it comes down. Set this piece aside for the moment. I set mine inside the car.

Now look up. That ugly piece of metal staring down at you is your wiper motor. DON'T REMOVE THE BOLTS YET!Just take note of them, the plug that leads into the motor, and the tube that goes into the wiper arm through the motor.

Close your hatch. Now look at your wiper. At the base of the arm you will notice it is actually a cover for a bolt. remove this cover (it hinges open but you can also just pull it off after you open it)

Now you are staring at a nut. Take that bad boy off with a 13mm deepwell socket or a wrench. I like wrenches. After you break the torque on it it will spin of by hand. Sorry about the weird picture angle, but I have only two hands and this was taken on my phone...blah blah blah.

Now you reach the "20 minutes or an hour" portion. You have to PULL off the wiper arm. It is attached to a spline and boy is it ever! The older your car is or the more weather it sees the harder this will be. If you can see rust or white powdery corrosion on the bolt part, grab some penetrant oil or wd40 and soak the bolt down. let it sit for a bit...say drink a beer and come back. If it is clean you are in luck...sort of.

This sucker takes some effort to get off, so if you can't lift your own body weight and you weigh less than 130 (my current weight) I suggest you find a bigger set of guns. The technique here is to pull straight back. It took me the better part of an hour to work it free. I actually used a hammer but I'm not going to elaborate on that since I don't want you people to break your windows. Remember, I'm a mechanic, so my hammers are calibrated (note severe amounts of B.S. coming from this sentence?)

GOT IT?! Hell yeah! celebrate with another cold beverage and relax a minute. Sweet Tea is a fantastic thing to drink when you're working hard too...anyway, back to the matter at hand.

Open your hatch back up and take your ratchet with the correct sized socket (forgot the exact size) and remove three bolts holding the motor to the hatch.

Now unplug the electrical plug and remove the tube from the back. There may be residual washer fluid in the tube so cover up anything you don't want to get wet...or better yet move it. Most likely there will still be a metal piece in the tube after you pull it off; I'll address this in a sec. Set the motor aside.

Take the tube in hand and if you can't get that metal piece out just cut off a small amount of tube from right behind the metal piece. There is plenty of slack left should you decide to revert the mod back to stock. Insert the supplied plug into the tube. I tested the plug out by running the rear wiper washer and it didn't leak a drop! If you test out the plug be aware that should the plug fail you will douse anything near the tube!

Now tuck away the tube and plug as you are done with all of this.

BUT WAIT! What about that gaping hole in my hatch?! Never fear, we are there! Remove the old grommet from window by just pulling it out. It's rubber and comes out very easily. clean the area thoroughly and install the new grommet in place.

What you have left is a bolt, a cap, a small o-ring, a nut, and a big washer. The following two pictures depict the wrong and right ways to assemble said parts.

NOT LIKE THIS....

DO THIS!...

Bolt, then o-ring, then cap.

Hold open your hatch so that you can reach the hole both top and bottom. Place cap into hole and hold in place while you put the washer and nut on the other side. The directions say to tighten until 1mm of bolt shows through the nut. I say that you should follow these directions and then give it a half turn more. The grommet should be a little squished which will give you a good weather seal.

At this point you can smile..like this! I practice being chill in my off time...

That is me in case you were slow on the draw

Clean up that mess, and go inside. Feel accomplished and post pictures on facebook, then write details of your adventure on NAM! You are officially awesome and I commend you on your efforts, sir or ma'am! Go have a snack

Old 12-17-2009, 03:00 AM
lawmann
Coordinator :: Middle Georgia MINIs
Another great article on MINI DIY! Thanks!!

Mind if I use your two articles for the next MGM Newsletter?

Old 12-17-2009, 09:48 AM
Desmobot
1st Gear
Not at all! Feel free to do what you want with them. That's what I post 'em for!