MINI Camera and Video Interested in capturing your motoring experience? Discuss here your favorite video and photography skills using your MINI.

Canon Rebel XTI...early Birthday Present!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 04:13 PM
PredMini
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Canon Rebel XTI...early Birthday Present!

Just placed my order for :

Canon Rebel XTI - Black Body Only
Canon EF 28-135mm IS - USM Lens
RiData Pro 4 GB CF Card 150x
Canon XT Starter Kit - Bag, Filter, Battery
Tiffen Basic 3 Filter Kit - UVP, 812, Circular Polarizer

I really wanted the 75-300 IS - USM lens, but it was out of stock. I'll probably pick it up a little later. Between the 2 lenses I should be good to go.

Any thoughts, ideas, recommendations? Anything I should think about picking up? Good online print shops? Tips tricks? Digital photography for dummies.....

Thanks in advance!
Jeff

Old 09-19-2006, 05:06 PM
skitelluride531
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by PredMini

I really wanted the 75-300 IS - USM lens, but it was out of stock. I'll probably pick it up a little later. Between the 2 lenses I should be good to go.

Any thoughts, ideas, recommendations? Anything I should think about picking up? Good online print shops? Tips tricks? Digital photography for dummies.....

Thanks in advance!
Jeff

Good choice! I have a RebelXT and love it! I also have the 75-300mm IS Lense you talked about which is a great lense. However, currently it is my only lense, so I really need to go purchase a decent wide angle lense soon!

Old 09-19-2006, 05:13 PM
climbergirl
5th Gear
When I get over my envy, I will get back to you I have the rebel eos... Was thinking about upgrading to the xt, then I heard about the XTI. Just waiting for best buy to get the XTI so I can use my hmmuhm... extended warrenty. Congratulations. Post some photos!

Thanks in advance!
Jeff

Old 09-19-2006, 08:46 PM
PredMini
3rd Gear
I'm headed to the beach Saturday, so I'll have some light reading to do on the way. Hoping to take some decent shots for our Christmas cards this year as well as get some portrait quality pics on the beach. I've got an old 35mm Rebel I got when I graduated high school, so I'm kinda familiar with the workings, but as it's been collecting dust for a while I'll have to brush up. It's going to be a world of difference from my Sony 3.2 MP Cybershot.

Old 09-22-2006, 07:42 AM
DrPhilGandini
My little dose of LITHIUM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I really like my XTi (unfortunately it back focusses, so it's going back to the factory, bummer! - don't worry this is not a common, but a known problem with some cameras - this is not an alert. I'm simply obsessive about focus...)
I have 3 zooms and 2 primes: the Tokina 12-24 f4 is fabulous, the kit 18-55 is *****, the Canon 70-300 DO is amazing but pricey, a Canon 50f1.4 which makes for a great portrait lens on the XTi, and a Sigma 30f1.4 which is pretty nice for the price. I would recommend a battery grip just to balance out the camera, especially with big zooms, and the battery life is amazing!
Otherwise, be sure to put UV filters on all your lenses, get a Rocket blower for the dust that will eventually enter the body, and try not to obsess...like me. It's all about the images, really (my mantra)

cheers,

Old 09-22-2006, 11:59 AM
PredMini
3rd Gear
I think I'm going to steer clear of the EF-S lenses. That way if some time in the future I upgrade to a full size sensor I'll be able to use my lenses. I still also have my old 35mm Rebel that can use them too.

I'm planning on hitting a camera shop sometime next week and go ahead an get the battery grip and blower. I've got a 2nd battery with the XT starter kit, so why not use it. I think the extra size will be the main reason though.

I'll have to check out those other lenses. Christmas is just around the corner!

What about suggested reading material or NAM like users boards?

Old 09-22-2006, 01:37 PM
jwardell
6th Gear
I'm also considering getting an XTi...my D60 is feeling old and I would like some of the modern features (like not waiting 10 seconds for wake-up and shoot!). I would be going down in quality though from midrange. But I can't afford anything else. I'm waiting to see any announcement/specs of a 40D or 50D, to see if there's anything else to be added. The XTi though is the first low-end one I've considered as they've added most of the mid-range features except for a few I think could do without.

Old 09-22-2006, 02:46 PM
DrPhilGandini
My little dose of LITHIUM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Interesting word choice, jwardell! I suppose I never thought of my XTi as "low-end" but I suppose to some, my 210HP MSC is low end too! A new review just posted on the-digital-picture.com (today 9/22) shows the noise levels from the XTi sensor to be *very* similar to those of the smaller 8Mp 30D. This is most reassuring, and would bring the XTi up into the "midrange" on at least one dimension...
Of course, to answer your question PredMini about Canon or photo forums like NAM, there's dpreview's Canon forum for the nnnD series of cameras, but finding a good thread is like finding a needle in a haystack. Photography on the Net (Pekka Saarinen) has grown to be a giant from 7 years ago when there was about 30 of us posting there. Fred Miranda has generally good, informed posters and posts with very little fluff. But if it's traffic you want, the dpreview is the place... FM is like the twisties: doesn't happen often, but always fun.
I still think I'd have a 400D over a D60 anyday...
cheers,

Old 09-25-2006, 09:15 AM
jwardell
6th Gear
The sensors have always been the same between the lows & mids. There are a few selected software features that are not in the lows, they have a lower quality prism, and are not made out of metal or have the higher quality environmental seals. Has anyone had any problems using their Rebel (any one) in rain? That's one concern I have.

Old 09-25-2006, 11:11 AM
xtremepsionic
4th Gear
Hey I have a D60 too! I really like the Rebel XTi, but the only gripe I have for the Rebel line is that they are a tad tiny, and I really like the two control wheels on the D60/10/20/30d line, plus the little B&W LCD on the top, I love that as well. The view finder is also a bit tiny on the Rebel line (not that great on the D60 either) for any sort of manual focus.

I'm patiently waiting for a 40/50d to come out so I can afford a cheap 20d, I can't wait til it drops to about $700 USD.

Old 09-25-2006, 11:44 AM
climbergirl
5th Gear
I'm headed to the beach Saturday, so I'll have some light reading to do on the way. Hoping to take some decent shots for our Christmas cards this year as well as get some portrait quality pics on the beach. I've got an old 35mm Rebel I got when I graduated high school, so I'm kinda familiar with the workings, but as it's been collecting dust for a while I'll have to brush up. It's going to be a world of difference from my Sony 3.2 MP Cybershot.
patiently waiting....:impatient