MINI Camera and Video Interested in capturing your motoring experience? Discuss here your favorite video and photography skills using your MINI.

Canon Rebel XTi

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 01:34 PM
Mach V Dan
Former Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How many times do people have to say "B&H" before you'll go there?

I have bought two cameras, a tripod, and several lenses from B&H. They have excellent service, good stock, and competetive pricing. I've never had a bad experience. I try to support that kind of business. Don't get me wrong, Newegg is a good place, but can they answer any kind of question about cameras? Nope.

If you're new to digital SLR's, I'd get the kit. The kit lens is nothing special, but it doesn't suck, and it's a good all-around range. Plus, it's incredibly light! I think it's a good deal. When you're so good at taking pictures that your lens is the limiting factor, you can always get something fancier.

--Dan
Mach V
FastWRX.com

Old 08-20-2007, 06:49 PM
RussellCory
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B&H Photo Video!

They have a great XTi package going right now.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

Old 08-20-2007, 07:05 PM
RedSkunk
6th Gear
I buy camera equipment from amazon because, at the end of the day, they tend to be the cheapest. I generally don't ask the people selling the product for advice.

I'd suggest skipping the kit lens and going with a 50mm prime. (Canon's cheap 50mm is good and.. well, cheap.) If you think you can live without a telephoto lens, prime is nice - faster and better for the $, and forces you to think about the shot more. On the other hand, I bought the kit lens with my 35mm Canon and it's decent enough.

Old 08-21-2007, 12:15 PM
polizei
6th Gear
I'm not sure if I should buy a camera or not...I've wanted one for the past couple of years but there's a part of me that says "it's a waste of money" .... I don't know how much use it would see!

Anyone else go through this?
-Cody

Old 08-21-2007, 12:36 PM
Blue Brummie
4th Gear
No easy answer

Cody,

It all depends on what you want to get out of camera ownership. For me, I have two reasons for owning a decent camera. First, I enjoy capturing our vacations and other activities. On our recent 2 week vacatiion to Italy, I took nearly 1500 pictures. Kind of drove my wife a bit crazy, but some of the pics, especially the informal ones came out great and are a great addition to the travel diaries we keep.

I also enjoy taking odd pictures and unique compositions, to experiment with the camera.

So, I guess you have to ask yourself "what do I want to do with the camera?"

Like any experience you only get out of it what you put into it.

BB

Old 08-21-2007, 12:55 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RedSkunk
I buy camera equipment from amazon because, at the end of the day, they tend to be the cheapest.
I agree with this. Forget about B&H, go Amazon. Usually they subcontract out of Amazon anyway. Amazon = free shipping. B&H you pay for shipping. Questions? Who asks questions of a camera store???

I would also not get the kit lens = IMO junk

Get the exact lens you want and yes, the 50mm 1.8 is highly regarded and dirt cheap. The only problem is its really 80mm equivalent and not all that great for inside the house for focal length.

Old 08-24-2007, 11:50 AM
jwardell
6th Gear
I bought my XTi, as well as my D60, some lenses, and plenty of other things from OneCall. Ignore the prices on their site, call and ask what they can do for you, they always come down somewhat. But the big reason I buy from them is that they offer 6 or 12 months no interest credit, allowing me to make those big purchases when I don't actually have the money for them!