MINI Camera and Video Interested in capturing your motoring experience? Discuss here your favorite video and photography skills using your MINI.

MINIs in Motion

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 11:41 PM
miniDR
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
here are a couple that i snapped the other day

Attached Thumbnails MINIs in Motion-img_4105.jpg   MINIs in Motion-img_4134.jpg  
Old 01-04-2007, 07:13 PM
Born2Slow
3rd Gear
Old 01-05-2007, 05:16 AM
blalor
6th Gear
Jim, I love those shots, and that's precisely the mount I want! I've got the ChaseCam headrest mount coming soon, hopefully (late Christmas present), but I've been looking for something flexible enough to use inside and outside the car.

Old 01-05-2007, 03:20 PM
speednut
5th Gear
Originally Posted by jwardell
Who let Dave in here? No fair.
Originally Posted by Dave
Yeah, who did let that speednut guy in here?
Too many Daves...

Old 01-05-2007, 03:43 PM
speednut
5th Gear
Jim, those last two are OUTSTANDING! Now you've got me itching for another Uvas canyon road run.

Thanks everyone for posting your motion shots!
Please include rigging information if you've mounted the camera to the car to help all of us learn more.

Dave B, I personally would really like to know how you shot this amazing photo:

Old 01-05-2007, 04:38 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Looks like a rig shot

Last edited by Motor On; 04-05-2007 at 07:07 AM.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:13 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Motor On
Looks like arig shot
yeah, it's a rig shot. Aside from painting out the rig, the rest of the photo was captured on one exposure. I have kidded in the past about having a camera strapped to the side of a trained greyhound, and sometimes it's seemed like that might have been an easier method, but it is a rig shot.

I have two "rigs" one that does close in work and detail shots like the shot of OctaneGuy's MINI and the other that does full car. The "detail" rig is basically filmtools odds and ends, but the full car one is about the fourth or fifth generation of a rigging that I made myself (my mechanical engineering degree finally got put to some good use outside of work. )

Old 01-05-2007, 06:02 PM
speednut
5th Gear
I have two "rigs" one that does close in work and detail shots like the shot of OctaneGuy's MINI and the other that does full car. The "detail" rig is basically filmtools odds and ends, but the full car one is about the fourth or fifth generation of a rigging that I made myself (my mechanical engineering degree finally got put to some good use outside of work. )
Trained greyhound...
(visualizing my 7 lbs Italian greyhound with an SLR taped on her back! un-hunh, Right )

So your "detail" rig is similar to what Tsukiji posted here?

Do you have any examples of your full car rig? Maybe a pre-edit version of that photo? I'm tempted to get some 2x4s and create a crude mount shown in a photo mag, but I'd like to hear from someone with experience first so I don't learn as much the hard-way.

Old 01-05-2007, 06:23 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Originally Posted by speednut
So your "detail" rig is similar to what Tsukiji posted here?
What I have is kind of like this. I'll stress the kind of part, because that is a "kit" and what I have is something that I hand selected on location at filmtools.

Do you have any examples of your full car rig? Maybe a pre-edit version of that photo?
Apply the First rule of Fight Club here. Too much time wrapped up in it to go posting the set-up.

I'm tempted to get some 2x4s and create a crude mount shown in a photo mag, but I'd like to hear from someone with experience first so I don't learn as much the hard-way.
Get your first attempt down. Regardless of how you do it, it will teach you a lot about the issues involved: stability, weight, assembly/attachment, flexibility (both in terms of stiffness and in terms of camera placement options).

Once you get that first experience down, drop me a PM with your specific questions and I'll do what I can to help guide you.

Old 01-05-2007, 09:19 PM
tsukiji
4th Gear
Photographers are notoriously tight lipped when it comes to sharing information about their rigs, especially the hard won DIY variety. I've been working (on and off) on mine for a year. I've designed and built a few MINI specific parts (past life as a machinist pays off!) I hope to have a full working rig by spring. In the meantime I've been having fun with the FilmTools gear, which is technically a mount.

There used to be a great DIY discussion thread on the (now defunct) automotivephoto.com site, but it's long gone and not likely to return. A lot of the same people post on automotivephoto.net, and there's a rig thread there, but with a lot less info.

Also, there's a thumbnail sketch & brief description of a small DIY rig in How to Photograph Cars by James Mann.

Old 01-05-2007, 09:38 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Ok well I've still got a few unmentioned sources in the planning of a rig. And I intend to keep it that way until I can come up with something I know works.

Don't understand why the hush hush about them, I'm getting plenty of info looking at the pro equiment and reverse engineering; hearing opinions and "would do differently..."s would be nice but such is life I guess I'll just have to make sure I think out everything in my planning stages that much more thourghly (I tend to over engineer things anyways so I'm not too too woried about it)

Old 01-06-2007, 03:50 AM
blalor
6th Gear
Jim, are you able to position the camera in landscape orientation with the suction cup on the door? Or are you forced to mount it vertically? The picture on the website looks like I should be able to do it horizontally (especially with my smaller Rebel XT), but I'm just looking for clarification.

Old 01-06-2007, 07:50 AM
jimz68
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by blalor
Jim, are you able to position the camera in landscape orientation with the suction cup on the door? Or are you forced to mount it vertically? The picture on the website looks like I should be able to do it horizontally (especially with my smaller Rebel XT), but I'm just looking for clarification.
Yes. It's a 3-axis tripod head. Very adjustable. They also have the same set-up using a ball-head. (I think "Speednut" Dave has that one).
Jim

Old 01-06-2007, 07:58 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Originally Posted by Motor On
Don't understand why the hush hush about them,
Spend a year or two working on it, developing multiple iterations, coming up with improvements to your design, starting over from scratch, and building again and again, spending more money AND time with each new iteration.

Then, feel free to tell anyone you want everything you've learned about it.

Don't be surprised though if after that experience you don't exactly feel like 'giving it all up' to someone simply because they asked you to show it to them.

However, if someone shows some real commitment to building rigs, I am willing to help answer questions by PM.

Old 01-06-2007, 08:38 AM
tsukiji
4th Gear
Spend a year or two working on it, developing multiple iterations, coming up with improvements to your design, starting over from scratch, and building again and again, spending more money AND time with each new iteration.
I'd be willing to wager that in the corner of your garage there's a dusty box of crappy suction cups, ratcheting tie-downs, various and sundry clamps, and a painter's pole leaned up against it.

Old 01-06-2007, 08:44 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Originally Posted by tsukiji
I'd be willing to wager that in the corner of your garage there's a dusty box of crappy suction cups, ratcheting tie-downs, various and sundry clamps, and a painter's pole leaned up against it.
You left out the magnets, the 2x4s, the bucket of bolts, and the greyhound. In any case, you'd have to get past all the boxes and my second set of wheels/tires and the camping gear before you'd see any of it.

Old 01-06-2007, 08:47 AM
tsukiji
4th Gear
Originally Posted by jimz68
Yes. It's a 3-axis tripod head. Very adjustable. They also have the same set-up using a ball-head. (I think "Speednut" Dave has that one).
Jim
I use a Manfrotto/Bogen 3025 3-D Head — inexpensive, but solid as a rock. The downside is that it's heavy, but a really good lighter ball head is just too spendy for my budget.

Old 01-06-2007, 08:51 AM
tsukiji
4th Gear
You left out the magnets, the 2x4s, the bucket of bolts, and the greyhound.
I have the same box, but without the greyhound—I opted for the Helper Monkey

Old 01-06-2007, 03:33 PM
jimz68
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tsukiji
I use a Manfrotto/Bogen 3025 3-D Head — inexpensive, but solid as a rock. The downside is that it's heavy, but a really good lighter ball head is just too spendy for my budget.

My suction cup rig uses the 3025 3-D Head.
I use an Arca-Swiss ballhead on my tripods, but I'll be DANG'D if I'm going to hang one off my car!
Jim

Old 01-06-2007, 03:37 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
I'm using the ball head off of a slik mini tripod. The main advantages besides being a ballhead is that 1) it's cheap and 2) it's lightweight, and anything you can do to save weight cheaply is good.

Old 01-07-2007, 04:21 AM
blalor
6th Gear
Thanks, Jim. I saw the head, but I wasn't sure there would be enough space between the mounting surface and the camera to achieve full rotation on all axes. Ok, not *full* rotation, since you (probably) don't care about having the front of the camera facing the mounting surface, but you get the idea. :-)

It occurred to me (yes, I'm a little slow) that you could also hang the suction cup mount from the sunroof on the interior. Ok, I've really gotta order one of these!

Given the proximity of the body to the mounting surface, do you have any difficulty framing the shots?

I like the idea of using the greyhound. I've got a couple of lab/shepherd mixes I could probably put into use, but I'd need one of these, too, to find the dogs and equipment afterwards!

Old 01-07-2007, 09:25 AM
tsukiji
4th Gear
I gotta get one of these...
I'm using the ball head off of a slik mini tripod. The main advantages besides being a ballhead is that 1) it's cheap and 2) it's lightweight, and anything you can do to save weight cheaply is good.

perfect for a slow roll shot (not so good on the highway)...a lot lighter than the 3025/SuperClamp combo hanging from the end of my surf-casting fishing rod.

Old 01-07-2007, 09:30 AM
tsukiji
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Born2Slow
I really like the form and flow of this shot. I'd crop it tighter, but that's just subjective.

Old 01-07-2007, 10:32 AM
blalor
6th Gear
I got one of these for Christmas. It's very sturdy and compact and came with a ball head.

Attached Thumbnails MINIs in Motion-277899.jpg  
Old 01-07-2007, 09:04 PM
89AKurt
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How's this for motion?

Just a little exciting.:impatient

Quick Reply: MINIs in Motion