Mini/MINI BUILDS Showcase your Build Talents.

GP1 Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2019, 10:38 AM
Soul Coughing
5th Gear
Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts
GP1 Rebuild

Hey Everyone,

So I've been a MINI fan since they first came out back in early 2000's. We ordered an '03 back in the day and its been in the family ever since. When I saw 0487 for sale locally, I had to buy it. It may be the highest mileage GP in the country and as such, needs some reconditioning. This will be the rebuild page for the car and I'll add pics and details as the car gets pulled apart.

My intentions with the car is to get it rebuilt back to near stock, fixing some of the issues known with the 1st gens, and hopefully have it as a fun reliable car to take occasionally to the track and complement the other cars I have in the garage. It currently has 145k miles and has all the issues known to other 1st gen's.

Known issues so far:
  • LCA bushings
  • oil leaks from all gaskets
  • cracked pre-cat from failed motor mount and dog bone (check engine light)
  • scuffed wheels
  • dirty interior and unsavory smell
  • Parking brake doesn't work
  • supercharger hasn't been serviced
  • shifter bushings are sloppy
  • small drivability issues
  • JCW intake valve doesnt work
  • A/C doesn't work
Anyway, here are some pics of the car as it sits.

The following 2 users liked this post by Soul Coughing:
ECSTuning (12-23-2021), tej98 (10-29-2019)
Old 10-28-2019, 10:40 AM
Soul Coughing
5th Gear
Finally had some time to pull apart the front end of the GP. The oil pan had been leaking (the oil pan bolt had been stripped) and the time sert that had been installed had also failed. So i ended up just buying a replacement oil pan. The A/C had lost its charge and due to the amount of miles, the condenser had been damaged by all the grit from the road, so I bought a replacement one. When I was pulling off the bolts, I found one of the condenser line bolts to be loose, so I assume that is where the charge had been leaking from. I will do a vacuum test on it once its all back together and do the problem solving if it doesn't hold vacuum. While it's apart, I'll be changing out the thermostat and housing, water pump, bypass valve, vacuum lines, as well as the oil cooler gaskets, the valve cover, crank and cam position o-ring, oil pan gasket, and all the parts that go with the supercharger. Here's some pics of the work so far!

Car was really dirty when I first got it

Used some chrome polish and got the tips sparkling!

Did a group wash with some of the other cars in the garage.

The oil pan bolt had been badly repaired and was leaking a lot

Pulled out the seats and found 15 years worth of dirt and grime. I steamed the carpets after vacuuming and a lot of the smell is gone. I have been cleaning the seats and will put them back in once they're no longer dirty

It looked like the Crank position o-ring had never been changed. The amount of oil and dirt around it was a lot more than the '03 I had done with only 80k miles.

All the valve cover bolts had rusted and needed to be replaced! Why does it cost $200+ to replace them!?!?!

valvetrain looked really good for the miles. The car's oil had been changed on time!

Same with the oil pan. Everything looked clean - at least on the inside

the rotors looked really good

There was still oil in the PTO

Old 10-28-2019, 01:46 PM
rhenry01
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yep, the years and years of oil leaks build up a nice layer of crud. Gunk heavy duty engine cleaner is your friend.

Old 11-14-2019, 08:45 AM
Soul Coughing
5th Gear
Originally Posted by rhenry01
Yep, the years and years of oil leaks build up a nice layer of crud. Gunk heavy duty engine cleaner is your friend.
Thanks! Yeah, I've been slowly working on getting it all off. Will be painting the block and cleaning all the Ai stuff before putting it back on!

Old 11-14-2019, 08:49 AM
Soul Coughing
5th Gear
Pulled the wheels off to go get them refinished and powder coated. Can still have a passenger and get all the wheels to fit!

I also ordered new shift cables and bought a short shifter (like i did on my '03) which should greatly improve the shifting feel. The difference in shift feel between the '03 and the GP is huge. It completely takes away from the experience on the GP, so while its all apart, i may as well replace parts that influence the driving feel.

The car also has the yo-yo effect and I got a new bypass valve to hopefully rectify the issue. The '03 never had the issue, so the driving experience in the GP is a lot worse! Can't have the GP not drive as well!

Steamed up the seats and got all the dirt out of the cloth inserts. Took way too long to do this, but the dirt has been removed!

Also steamed the carpets and found a little bit of rust on the sills. Will clean that up and seal it up. Found more dog fur and dirt under the shifter console and pretty much anywhere there's carpet!

Old 11-14-2019, 08:50 AM
Soul Coughing
5th Gear

Installed the new oil pan. It's the shiniest thing on the whole thing! I will be scrubbing the block and applying some paint soon.

Drained out the entire amount of oil from the front and rear. The fluid wasn't actually that bad, but smelled horribly.

PTO gears looked great.

Still filled with fluid

Installed with anaerobic gasket maker

New water pump installed and ready to put back on the car.

Old 11-18-2019, 07:29 AM
Soul Coughing
5th Gear
Picked up the wheels from the machine shop/ Powder coater. They look so good! One of the biggest issues were all the scuffs and gouges on the OEM wheels. Can't wait to see how much improved the tires are compared to the old ones. Also pulled the exhaust and found why the thing was so loud! Thankfully I can weld!
Got the wheels back from the powdercoater. They welded the curb rash and gouges. Also put on a set of Firestone Indy 500's. Have these on one of my S2000's and really enjoy them for stickier street driving.

Pulled the JCW exhaust and found why it was so loud!

Both mounts on the inside of the cans

Ouch.

Old 12-01-2019, 03:29 PM
Lucila
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Following

Old 12-03-2019, 04:09 PM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Received 215 Likes on 152 Posts
Awesome project car. Great to see someone putting the love and attention into it that it deserves.

The following users liked this post:
scubus (12-04-2019)
Old 12-03-2019, 07:45 PM
Lucila
3rd Gear
I agree! I’m passively searching for a non modified, all stock GP 2 or GP1. When they do come up for sale, they go quick! I like that you are restoring it as close to factory spec as you can. 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Originally Posted by Tigger2011
Awesome project car. Great to see someone putting the love and attention into it that it deserves.

Old 12-04-2019, 08:39 AM
scubus
4th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Lucila
I agree! I’m passively searching for a non modified, all stock GP 2 or GP1. When they do come up for sale, they go quick! I like that you are restoring it as close to factory spec as you can. 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
I might know where you can pick up a much loved GP1...

Old 12-06-2019, 07:10 AM
Lucila
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by scubus
I might know where you can pick up a much loved GP1...
Really? PM me please

Old 12-11-2019, 11:04 AM
Soul Coughing
5th Gear
Following

Originally Posted by Tigger2011
Thanks. I love these cars and want to keep this thing going!

That's the plan! I will never have the lowest mile or absolute cleanest, but I can have a well-sorted original (and maybe the highest mileage one) that if I had to, could unload relatively easily and not lose too much money.

Really? PM me please
It's him! lol

The following users liked this post:
JCByrdman (05-01-2022)
Old 12-11-2019, 11:20 AM
Soul Coughing
5th Gear
Had some time to get out the rear tray cover so i could access the fuel filter. The rear plastics had to be moved around to get the foam tray out. It was a little annoying with the bar still in place, but it all came out. I also found a perfect condition Thunder Blue GP door from a salvaged GP, and thought i could save money and time by replacing the drivers door instead of trying to fix the little bit of rust on the edge of the original door. Well UPS had other plans and dropped the door and bent the edge! So oh well to that...

Finally had a little time to get the rest of the interior apart. The foam pad at the back was super awkward to remove with the side plastics still in place, but i got them out.

Got access to the fuel filter to change it out

Not as rusty as my '03.

Had to cut the brake wire as it had rusted itself to the brake

Found a GP painted door and had it delivered as the original door had a little rust on the edge. Of course UPS F'd up the shipping and the edge of the door is completely bent.

So much for trying to save some money and getting a matching door!

So annoyed!

Old 12-11-2019, 12:41 PM
scubus
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Soul Coughing
It's him! lol
It is, but it looks like I am out of the woods

My bonus has arrived and there are no more major issues on the horizon (although I swear I tore my rotator cuff in my sleep, so there are no guarantees). I also received a fresh set of GP wheels last night, so it can't go anywhere...

If someone wanted #0717 they should have jumped!

Old 12-19-2019, 04:20 PM
scubus
4th Gear
More please... what are you working on now?

Old 12-23-2019, 08:53 AM
Soul Coughing
5th Gear
It is, but it looks like I am out of the woods

My bonus has arrived and there are no more major issues on the horizon (although I swear I tore my rotator cuff in my sleep, so there are no guarantees). I also received a fresh set of GP wheels last night, so it can't go anywhere...

If someone wanted #0717 they should have jumped!
That's great news! Just FYI, someone posted your car for sale thread from CL on the Facebook GP page if you weren't aware (if someone had stolen your pics and made a new post).

More please... what are you working on now?
Been really busy with other projects around the house, but I did have time to pull out the fuel filter and replace it. Had a horrible experience trying to get the filter cap off. It was literally welded on and I somehow knocked the metal rod that keeps the crossover pipe between the pump and filter from hitting the fuel level in the tank. Spent a while trying to get it reattached to the filter housing, but it's finally done. A little bit of grease goes a long way to get all the gaskets and seals to reattach easily.

Replaced the metal ring as it was a little rusted and pitted.

New Vs. Old

Old 12-26-2019, 08:52 AM
Mereco
3rd Gear
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
great thread!

Old 12-26-2019, 03:47 PM
scubus
4th Gear
That fuel filter looks yucky. I think that is the technical term.

Yes, that was mine on Facebook. I forgot to pull it. I had a scare - someone made an offer and I was going to honor it but they backed out.

Originally Posted by Soul Coughing
That's great news! Just FYI, someone posted your car for sale thread from CL on the Facebook GP page if you weren't aware (if someone had stolen your pics and made a new post).

Been really busy with other projects around the house, but I did have time to pull out the fuel filter and replace it. Had a horrible experience trying to get the filter cap off. It was literally welded on and I somehow knocked the metal rod that keeps the crossover pipe between the pump and filter from hitting the fuel level in the tank. Spent a while trying to get it reattached to the filter housing, but it's finally done. A little bit of grease goes a long way to get all the gaskets and seals to reattach easily.

Replaced the metal ring as it was a little rusted and pitted.

New Vs. Old

Old 12-27-2019, 10:24 AM
Soul Coughing
5th Gear
Had a little time to finish up painting the block beneath the supercharger. Degreased and prepped the metal and used Por-13 Enamal paint. Will probably do one more coat, but it's a big change from when i pulled it all off!

Old 12-27-2019, 02:03 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,092 Likes on 1,866 Posts
Awesome Love to see this and come back to life. I missed one GP1 for like 10K at a carmax with near 72K a couple years ago. Got my R58 JCW instead since i missed that one and sold same day. I dont think Carmax even knew what it was. lol

Those blocks get so rusty over the years, painted up they look sooo good.

BTW we have the factory GP Outdoor car cover exclusively. Not that you want to park it outside after the rebuild.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 01-02-2020, 10:34 AM
Soul Coughing
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Awesome Love to see this and come back to life. I missed one GP1 for like 10K at a carmax with near 72K a couple years ago. Got my R58 JCW instead since i missed that one and sold same day. I dont think Carmax even knew what it was. lol

Those blocks get so rusty over the years, painted up they look sooo good.

BTW we have the factory GP Outdoor car cover exclusively. Not that you want to park it outside after the rebuild.
Wow, that was a very lucky buyer! Not sure if you've been looking on BAT, but the market has really picked up for GP1's. At least lower mileage ones!

Thanks, I saw that you were selling one, but this will be staying in doors and I've got the OEM inside cover ready to go on once I give the car a good buff!

Old 01-02-2020, 10:35 AM
Soul Coughing
5th Gear
Had some time over the holidays to get some work in on the GP. I pulled the sill gasket and found a little bit of rust. Ended up sanding it down, putting on rust converter and then hitting it with a couple coats of Por15. Not that the car will be in the rain a lot, but at least I know that the rust won't progress anymore.

Where did the shifter go?

I pulled the shifter and the cables as one unit. So much easier than doing them as two parts. The cables were so badly rusted! I bought a new set of OEM cables, and have the little plastic square in the shifter mechanism on the trans to hopefully improve shift feel! I did the same thing on my '03 and the difference in feel was amazing. Almost felt as good as my S2000... almost... My wife got me a Cravenspeed short shifter and well cover for Christmas, so ill be putting that in over the next couple days.

Ended up dropping the subframe so that I could change out the LCA bushings more easily. Will degrease everything (looks like one of the OEM axle boots tore and slung grease all over the place. At least it kept the rust away!

I ended up ordering all new ball joints as the thing is apart. Will be waiting for those to arrive and then ill start cleaning it all up and hopefully I can start putting everything back together!

The following 3 users liked this post by Soul Coughing:
DGI (04-07-2020), ECSTuning (01-02-2020), robj (01-02-2020)
Old 01-02-2020, 03:26 PM
robj
4th Gear
Received 290 Likes on 179 Posts
Soul,

I thought my '05 with 155K was crusty under the hood, but I think maybe you've got me beat with that puppy. Looks like you're in Jersey, did this car live close to the shore?

Getting close on mine. I need to update my Bargain $500 Mini thread. Got the beautiful subframe back in where it will never be seen again, front brakes back together and the past few days got the radiator support, bumper support and the bumper on for a trial fit. [still needs painting] Now doing the P.S. pump scoop upgrade.
Starting to look like a car again.
Keep us posted on your progress!
robj

Old 01-06-2020, 05:39 AM
Soul Coughing
5th Gear
Originally Posted by robj
Soul,

I thought my '05 with 155K was crusty under the hood, but I think maybe you've got me beat with that puppy. Looks like you're in Jersey, did this car live close to the shore?

Getting close on mine. I need to update my Bargain $500 Mini thread. Got the beautiful subframe back in where it will never be seen again, front brakes back together and the past few days got the radiator support, bumper support and the bumper on for a trial fit. [still needs painting] Now doing the P.S. pump scoop upgrade.
Starting to look like a car again.
Keep us posted on your progress!
robj
Yeah, this is actually better than the condition of my '03 when i pulled it all apart a couple years ago! Just part of the deal when you're buying a car that's lived through NJ winters! You motivated me to paint some of the parts that will be going back in, to never be seen again, like the subframe! Hope you get your car running soon!

Quick Reply: GP1 Rebuild