Mini/MINI BUILDS Showcase your Build Talents.

Bargain $500 Mini - Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2021, 09:48 AM
robj
4th Gear
Received 290 Likes on 179 Posts
Hey Eddie,
I singlehand my [smaller] Mariner most of the time but docked under sail only once. Of course it was during the week and not a single soul around to marvel with me, unlike when you screw up docking and there are thousands watching!

rj

The following users liked this post:
Eddie07S (03-29-2021)
Old 03-29-2021, 11:50 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,203 Likes on 936 Posts
Nice!

My dad’s Person had a full keel (long keel) and weighed several tons or more, so it had a lot of inertia. The trick to docking it under sail was to let the sails luff and let the inertia carry the boat in. Then at the right moment turn up into the wind to kill the speed. You could also scrub speed by pushing tiller back and forth. When my dad and I would do it, I would be on the bow and I would jump off with the line. I would be a little exaggerated in my jump so as to push the bow out; that made it a little easier to dock. Oh, also it was important to have both the bow and stern lines in hand and use the stern line to slow the boat; pulling on the bow line would just run the bow into the pier. My dad like to show-off to the other sailers... and I was happy to help... . My wife and I did our honeymoon on it and visited many attractions in the Thousand Islands both in the States and in Canada. That is a beautiful area and a great place to sail. I have really good memories of those days on that boat.

Now I do the “car thing”...

Old 04-21-2021, 11:43 AM
Yjsaabman
5th Gear
Received 214 Likes on 145 Posts
You know I'm in for boat pics, Rob! We just started the sailing season in HdG last week.

I wouldn't blame anyone for farming out the clutch job. I've said it before and I'll say it again, it's a royal PITA! Book time on it is around 11 hours, IIRC. Subframe needs to come completely out, front end off, etc, etc. I don't want to do it again, so hopefully the Valeo single mass setup will hold up for a while!

Old 04-21-2021, 02:07 PM
robj
4th Gear
Hey,
Not much boating for me yet. Since we went virtual with the business I decided to sell my office on Belair road so I've been spending quite a bit of time getting that ready. We're on our fourth dumpster! Amazing what you can accumulate in 25 years. Between dumpsters cleaning out the shop this past spring, and dealing with the office now I'm not sure I ever want to see a dumpster again.
The VP is taking over the business so I'm fully retired now. I don't even check my email anymore. I have to say it was a bit of an adjustment but I think I'm acclimated now and it ain't bad...

Being disgusted with the price of blue crabs and considering my new "free time" I figured I would quit ******n and catch my own. Bought a POS 14'Jon boat and fixed it up pretty nice for running a trot line. A buddy gave me a trailer and after new springs, axles, wheels, tires, hubs, winch and hitch it's ready. [so basically he gave me a frame and fenders!]

Still moving dirt and trees around at home but did get the driveway widening completed for the new addition to the shop for the boat, soon to be in progress, I hope]

I did get rid of all my kids "junk" from the garage at the house and I'm parking the Mini there now as opposed to in the shop. Just got finished painting the garage, getting an epoxy floor and 15' of kitchen base cabinets for general storage. Oh, and a new door with a remote! What luxuries!

This will be a new thing for me as I've never been able to park a car in a garage at my house. Room for the Mini and the '59 BMW R69, so both will be safe from the slings and arrows of shop existence. Plus, it frees up a bay in the shop! That doesn't happen often.

Fair winds to you my friend, and take no prisoners on your Thursday night sails!

robj

Should be able to get a tractor-trailer in there...

Before and after cleaning with a Scotch-Bright on a DA sander.

Floorboards. I hate wet feet on a boat. A coat of boiled Linseed oil does wonders. The "real" stuff from Sweden, not the fake H.W. store stuff.

All geared up. [The top piece of wood comes off- just guards on the bars]

Turned out good for a $500 POS...$2000 later of course.

The following 2 users liked this post by robj:
Eddie07S (04-23-2021), Yjsaabman (04-21-2021)
Old 08-19-2021, 11:57 AM
Soul Coughing
5th Gear
Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts
So.... how's the Mini doing?!

Old 08-30-2021, 04:18 PM
robj
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Soul Coughing
So.... how's the Mini doing?!
It's going good. I actually got the garage at the house cleaned out and I've been parking it up there. After a 3 month wait, new garage door is being installed tomorrow with a remote no less. The luxury of it all! I never had a garage that I could actually park a car in.
Although the Mini was "supposed" to be the daily driver, it turned out so nice I hate to drive it in the rain etc... So I'm mostly driving my truck. Pretty much the opposite of what I had planned.
I still have the Detroit Speed Bypass Valve and the 380cc injectors and bellows on the workbench.
I figure I'll drive it now then do that this winter when the weather sucks.
But so far, so good.
Still trying to get going on the addition to my shop. I'm paying to get that done, unlike a few years ago when I wouldn't have heitated to do it myself, but creeping up on 70I've learned I have to pick my battles.
I just read through my entire build thread. Boy I put a lot of work in that car!

Thanks for checking in!
robj

Old 08-30-2021, 05:50 PM
Yjsaabman
5th Gear
Coming, Rob, look at David Freiburger! He's 75 and he's still out crawling around junk on the side of the road doing Roadkill! It's all in how old you feel.

Thanks for the update and good to hear the Mini is treating you well. Grumpy maintains his humble daily beater status.

Old 08-30-2021, 08:07 PM
robj
4th Gear
I'm stunned. Had no idea Friberger was that age. In fact I had to look it up! It's not like I've been sitting on my hands. Been getting my office building ready for sale. [Company is still going, but we figured out everyone can work from home] Paid for some exterior painting but moved 6 tons of dirt and stone and 6x6's for landscaping and quite a bit of interior work.
I think part of my thinking isn't so much the effort, but the time factor!
robj

Husky44 (09-05-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 05:29 PM
Yjsaabman
5th Gear
I know, right?! I thought he was in his 50s!

Good luck with the office sale!

robj (11-26-2021)
Old 09-15-2021, 08:27 AM
bump32
4th Gear
Received 128 Likes on 81 Posts
Thanks

Hey robj
Just wanted to post a quick thanks. I have been following your build here for the last year or so and find this thread very helpful. Your painting skills with a rattle can are top notch. You have put a ton of work into your mini & all the pictures are great. Thanks for all the info and tips.

robj (11-26-2021)
Old 10-02-2021, 07:08 AM
Yjsaabman
5th Gear
Hey, Rob! Remember my mount issues with the single ball I got from you? Well, I think I figured it out! Mini changed the hanger design mid run, around 2004, IIRC, which would explain the difference between the muffler bracket I got from you and the hanger on Grumpy. Also probably why someone got creative with the hangers on the exhaust that was on Grumpy when we got him, it was probably for the later design. Came across that info and thought of you. Hope you are well, my friend!

robj (11-26-2021)
Old 10-02-2021, 05:50 PM
smschriefer
2nd Gear
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Are you talking about the ones at the very back of the car? I've wondered why they sent two sets of hangars with my Milltek exhaust, but based on the difference between what was in the box it was obvious only one would work on my car.

Old 10-02-2021, 06:11 PM
Yjsaabman
5th Gear
Originally Posted by smschriefer
Are you talking about the ones at the very back of the car? I've wondered why they sent two sets of hangars with my Milltek exhaust, but based on the difference between what was in the box it was obvious only one would work on my car.
Yup, those are the ones they changed.

Old 11-27-2021, 12:10 PM
robj
4th Gear
Back again after too long. Bargain Mini has been running great but has not had a ton of use, but with the arrival of cold[er] weather the Bargain $500 Mini went from the garage into my shop for a few things I've been meaning to get to. 40 degrees and windy was a bit much for the yard work/brush cleaning I've been up to [more on that later] so onto some "inside work".

1. Second oil change under my watch.
2. Install Detroit Tuned Bypass Valve. [when it was on the dyno the guy saw what he thought was too long a lag before the power came on. He suggested the bypass valve]
3. New bellows for the intercooler [mine had small dry rot cracks]
4. Replace the coolant overflow tank that I could never stop from leaking at the cap. [Bargain Amazon brand- guess you get what you pay for]
5. Replacing the OEM intake hose. [discovered dry rot cracks in that as well]

But first a quick injector question;
I have a pulley, Borla [agressive] exhaust and a CAI. I have 380CC injectors on the bench. Can they be installed prior to a tune without detrimental drivability effects?
I will be getting a tune eventually and I realize I won't be getting full benefit of the injectors, but is there a downside of installing them prior to?

Hard to see but dry rot cracks. To be replaced with silicone [red of course]

Bargain tank. Tried new OEM cap, cork gasket, two cork gaskets, silicone gasket, bluing and filing the top where it seals, etc... no love...

OEM replacement was only $38. I was surprised it wasn't more than that.

Old 11-27-2021, 12:29 PM
robj
4th Gear
I was wondering why it didn't fit well. I was really careful with maintaining alignment. Somewhat relieved it wasn't me. Ha!

Old 11-27-2021, 12:32 PM
robj
4th Gear
I was wondering why it didn't fit well. I was really careful with maintaining alignment. Somewhat relieved it wasn't me. Ha!

Old 11-27-2021, 07:06 PM
Yjsaabman
5th Gear
Glad to see you still playing with it, Rob!

I picked up a new, reputable brand, stock type plastic expansion tank from FCP Euro earlier this year for like $26. So far so good after having a similar issue with the aged original tank and cap. I blame it mostly on the cap, but the OG tank was ugly, anyways.

robj (11-28-2021)
Old 11-28-2021, 05:40 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
​​​But first a quick injector question;
I have a pulley, Borla [agressive] exhaust and a CAI. I have 380CC injectors on the bench. Can they be installed prior to a tune without detrimental drivability effects?
I will be getting a tune eventually and I realize I won't be getting full benefit of the injectors, but is there a downside of installing them prior to?​​​​
The ECU will compensate for changes that you make. Adding injectors to what you already have installed won’t be detrimental. If your current injectors are maxed out or close to being with the pulley and etc, the ECU will take advantage of injectors to the best that it can. This will mostly be a benefit at the higher end of the RPM range. A tune will optimize how well all these of these changes are all being used together.

robj (11-29-2021)
Old 11-28-2021, 05:56 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Take a look at this post (link). This MINI looks to be modded similar to yours and this was the person’s post about the results from putting a tune on it. There are posts prior to this one about doing the actual tune. Might be worth taking a look at for reference with respect to what you are thinking.

robj (11-29-2021)
Old 01-29-2022, 06:16 AM
robj
4th Gear
Finally got my list below completed. Finished up about 3 weeks ago but the foundation for the barn addition was blocking the doors. Yesterday I moved some dirt around and could get it out.

Stalled a little due to weather. 30x40 with a 14' tall door. Big enough for a boat.

Back to the list;
1. Second oil change under my watch.
[no issues there]

2. Install Detroit Tuned Bypass Valve. [when it was on the dyno the guy saw what he thought was too long a lag before the power came on. He suggested the bypass valve]
Of course lots had to come off to get to the valve but it was pretty straight forward. It did make a noticeable difference in low speed response. No additional HP, the the response and initial acceleration can def be felt]

3. New bellows for the intercooler [mine had small dry rot cracks].
[ that went fine. I like the little bit of extra red.]

4. Replace the coolant overflow tank that I could never stop from leaking at the cap. [Bargain Amazon brand- guess you get what you pay for].
So far, this was the real win. [so far] A leak at the coolant tank cap has been plaguing me since day one. Had it idling for at least a half hour then a 20 minute [spirited] ride and so far, no leaks! Hoping this holds out. Putting the new tank in was the biggest pain of the project. There's just no working room, but, so far so good.

5. Replacing the OEM intake hose. [discovered dry rot cracks in that as well]
That went fine. Pretty simple.

The next project is putting my 1977 Triumph Bonneville [that I bought new] back together. It's a long story but the Cliff Notes are; rode it until about 1980, crashed it, put it back together with a Dunstall Fairing, clip on's and rear sets, then took the fairing and clip ons off, and rode it until mid 80's when kids and business happened.

It then lived in a garage and a shed until about 1996, when I recommissioned it. Rode it for a year or 2, then it "accidentally" took itself apart. Frame was powder coated, engine rebuilt and lots of new parts bought, which is how it's sat for almost 20 years. In the meantime a few BMW's, a Honda or 2 and a Moto Guzzi.
My how time flies!

As the addition and outside work has stalled due to weather I started in on the Triumph. Hoping I can get it back together before the weathers turns and I get distracted... Again.

Stay warm and safe,
robj

I think it's missing something...

Taking a little longer as all nuts and bolts are exchanged with polished stainless ones.

Threw the tank on for inspiration/motivation. Freshly painted...20 years ago.

Last edited by robj; 01-29-2022 at 06:25 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by robj:
Eddie07S (01-29-2022), Husky44 (01-29-2022), Yjsaabman (01-29-2022)
Old 01-29-2022, 07:05 AM
Husky44
5th Gear
Received 243 Likes on 175 Posts
Good to hear from you!

Keep us updated on the bike too!

Old 01-29-2022, 08:42 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
What he said...

Old 01-29-2022, 09:25 AM
Yjsaabman
5th Gear
Seems like a nice, warm, indoor project for these cold days!

Old 08-26-2022, 07:09 AM
Soul Coughing
5th Gear
Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts
@robj hows the bargain $500 Mini? How's the projects?

Old 08-27-2022, 09:38 AM
robj
4th Gear
Hey there! Good to hear from you!

The Mini is status quo at this point. Safe and sound in the garage and used on high days and holidays. Not much Mini to report but keeping quite busy with other projects.

Got the Triumph finished up [after 20 years being apart] and I think it probably looks better than the day I bought it new. First ride went well except I ran out of gas and had to call my friend Alex to come to my rescue. [operator error, had the main and reserve petcock on, Duh...]

Quite pleased with the result. Took about 3 months. Have a clutch issue to straighten out but right now it's in the garage at the house with the Mini and my R69 BMW.

Container of shame...

Other projects...Lets see. Built a "pick-up" bed for the tractor from an old garden cart I cut in half, [very handy] and finally fixed the doors on the barn where the bottoms were rotted away.

It's easily removable but I really don't use the rear PTO for anything.

Doors, slightly unorthodox, [roofing metal] but they won't rot...

The good news is the barn addition is well underway. The bad news is I exceeded my budget too soon [with the lumber prices, etc...] so doors, insulation, wiring, etc.. is on me as opposed to check book renovation. Had some Amish guys do the framing and a friend that's a contractor do the roof and metal. Right now busy building doors for the smaller openings and waiting for a 14 x 14 roll up to arrive. Quite the project. The ChrisCraft should have a new home by cold[er] weather.

Go big or go home...I guess.

Plenty of "junk" storage space... Doors, doors and more doors!

Now a "smart man" would have skipped the addition, cut up the ChrisCraft with a chain saw and used the addition money to buy a nice boat that runs!

But, as Forrest G. said, "I'm not a smaaart man...

robj

Husky44 (08-27-2022)

Quick Reply: Bargain $500 Mini - Build Thread