Mini/MINI BUILDS Showcase your Build Talents.

Mini Cooper R53 2004

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2021 | 03:46 PM
ttawfik3
|
3rd Gear
Mini Cooper R53 2004

Hey guys. This is my first time posting on NAM and I came across this thread and I decided to share with you guys what I got going on.
My name is Thomas Tawfik and I am 16 years old. This is my 2004 Mini Cooper S R53. My uncle gave it to me from Texas. He had it shipped out to Texas because he knows a guy there that he wanted him to fix a rust spot in the rear passenger quarter panel. At the time my uncle was thinking about repainting the mini a matte color and the guy in Texas knew about it so he convinced my uncle to let him repaint the car and fix the rust. At some point the guy became physically ill to the point he wasn't able to work on the car so its been sitting in Texas for about 3 years. My uncle also couldn't ship it back because he was paying so much for it he just couldn't ship it back. It would've been so much money spent he didn't see it worth it. This is where I come in. He told me just pay shipping and you can keep the car. The picture of when it was grey is when I just got the car because keep in mind the guy in Texas stopped mid-job so everything was taken apart. The grey is the primer that they sprayed on for the repaint. At that point is when I started to build it back and fix it up. And the green is what it's at right now. Its been about 1 year since I've been working on it.

When I received the car, all the body parts were just stuffed inside the car. Everything was either bent or just completely deformed at that point so on a sunny day I took out everything and just let it sit in the sun to hopefully go back to its original form and thankfully it did.

The biggest projects I have done on the Mini have been fixing the surface rust on the floor of the mini, replacing the carpet, and adding Kilmat sound deadening sheets all over the inside of the car and wrapping the car. I included a picture of how it looks like with the rust hole and the rust on the floorboard It just went through the carpet and completely ripped it.

For the wrap I wet sanded the whole car with 600 grit and than clayed the whole car and than I got started with the wrap. My father and I started on the hood first. Keep in mind this is the first time wrapping a car for the both of us: we messed up the hood the first time lol. The worst part was that it was like 9pm so it was just a waste of time energy and money too. The next day I woke up at 6am and I started wrapping the whole car. Of course, there are many imperfections in the wrap like some corners were too short so I just had to patch but listen, its my first time wrapping and I am genuinely proud of myself. Its also better than paying close to 2-3,000 for someone to make the same mistakes as you lol. I also had a bit of left over green wrap so I decided to change the interior a bit. I wrapped the dashboard the green of the car so it accents the outside which I am in-love with.
I was really excited bringing this car back to life. Watching the transformation from being a literal POS to a really eye-catching car! The best part is knowing that my uncle is happy the car is in good hands. He really liked the mini and he didn't want to just tell the guy in Texas to keep it so that's also one thing good about it.
As I said earlier I am new to the MINI world and there's a bunch of weird stuff going on in my car but that's for another post that I'll need some people to help me with lol. I hope you guys enjoyed my story and I also hope you enjoyed the transformation of my MCS. Let me know what you think about it and what you would've done different!
Follow my tiktok: ttawfik3
Follow my Insta Photography Page: ttt_photography
Bye!

My Uncle had a couple of engine upgrades done to it before he sent it to the guy in Texas:
1. Alta Cat Back Exhaust
2. 17% Alta SC Pulley Reduction
3. 2% Alta Crankshaft Pulley Reduction
4. MSD Coils and Wires
5. He also had the aftermarket wheels put on it. I think its called Drag Motorsport.
And than the stuff I am planning on doing or already did to it:
1. Alta Cold Air Intake: already did
2. Racing Dynamics Larger Intercooler: already did
3. Racing Dynamics Exhaust headers: have not installed yet
4. JCW 380cc Fuel Injectors: have not installed yet
I do plan on doing a whole engine rebuild such as upgrading the piston heads, rods, camshaft, crankshaft but that's when I have a good paying job lol

The following users liked this post:
smschriefer (10-26-2021)
Old 10-25-2021 | 06:17 PM
DFTR
3rd Gear
Pics

Old 10-26-2021 | 07:55 AM
cooper48
6th Gear
Sounds like you're well on your way to have a good ride. Post some pics so everyone can see how much work you've accomplished.

Old 10-26-2021 | 08:14 AM
MCS4FUN
6th Gear
Welcome and congratulations on scoring such a fun first car!
BTW, your writing skills easily surpass that of many adults!

Old 10-26-2021 | 10:22 AM
ttawfik3
|
3rd Gear
I uploaded a lot photos is it not showing?
I will try to upload it a different way let me know if it is not showing. If it does, enjoy lol!

TrashPanda13 (10-28-2021)
Old 10-26-2021 | 10:23 AM
ttawfik3
|
3rd Gear
Thank you very much. Oh is it a fun car, everyday I rush home and I drive it. It is so addictive. And thank you!

Old 10-26-2021 | 11:39 AM
MCS4FUN
6th Gear
If you haven't already discovered, this forum allows uploading images directly from computer, tablet or storage device with no need for an external hosting site. I generally compress or resize them one or two levels for quicker viewing and less bandwidth, which looks like you've done...

ttawfik3 (01-13-2022)
Old 11-05-2022 | 01:35 PM
ttawfik3
|
3rd Gear
BIGGGGGG UPDATE:
List of Mods:
1. RMW Head
2. RMW Dominator Cam
3. 550cc Injectors (thanks to Mini Mad Adam)
4. 15% alta sc pulley
5. 2% alta crank pulley
6. Racing Dynamics Intercooler, Header.
7. Alta CAI and Catback
8. Detroit Tuned Bypass Valve
9. Adrian Tune
10. Manzo Springs
11. 2 step plugs
12. Alibaba G wing
13. Custom White paint wheels

As what many MINI owners complain about minis lacking power, I also agree but I took action! A lot of convincing and proving had to be done for my parents so that they can fund the MINI.

I removed the head and sent it to Jan for him to rebuild it.

But it took 56 days for him to ship it back so I had my engine open for a while. I had to cover the engine very neatly and made sure no water touches the block. I actually poured oil all over the block surface to keep the block safe. FINALLY the head came and the day it came I started working on the MINI.

I put everything back together that daybut when I cranked the engine, the timing chain tensioner did not kick in causing my engine to fall out of time. Took me a whole week to realize that it was out of time.

I removed the valve cover and saw that the marks on the chain and cam sprocket do not line up. Removed timing cover and timed the engine and it started right up! Butttt the car decided that a head gasket leak was the next plan. Gauges stopped working so I didnt know that I was overheating and possibly making the rmw head warp. At that time school started so I had to put the mini away until I have time to work on it.

Fast forward literally last weekend I redid everything, and this time removed the timing cover to time it properly and made sure the engine stayed in time.

Cranked her without spark to get some oil pressure and this time it started but very rough. It was an intercooler boot leak. I fixed that and got it tuned by Adrian but it still overheats. I checked over all the hoses and everything is in really good condition and tight of course. I am thinking that the car just heats up so much more than normal which means the stock coolant system cannot handle the heat. That being said, I ordered a thicker radiator and new waterpump. Also planning on installing hood vents for better ventilation. I cannot wait!!!!

The car does not feel any faster in my opinion. I dont know if thats just me but I genuinly feel like theres a lack of power. I messaged adrian and he said we can retune another time but hopefully by that time I got the overheating issue resolved. Any help is needed but i thought I would just post on my thread since alot has happened since I last posted.

Old 11-06-2022 | 02:21 PM
jcolletteiii
6th Gear
None of those mods should make the car run much (if any) hotter than any other r53. I would replace the thermostat immediately if you have not already. Probably a good idea to have a coolant flush done and new coolant - use the stock blue stuff. Does your low speed fan kick on when the engine warms up? Might have to replace the resistor if it does not - that could be part of the issue.

I don't think a lot of us complain about the MINI lacking power - especially after a few pretty straightforward mods. For a hatchback of it's size and weight, it's no slouch. If you're not feeling additional power on the butt dyno after that list of mods, makes me think something else might be afoot.

Old 11-06-2022 | 02:31 PM
ttawfik3
|
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jcolletteiii
None of those mods should make the car run much (if any) hotter than any other r53. I would replace the thermostat immediately if you have not already. Probably a good idea to have a coolant flush done and new coolant - use the stock blue stuff. Does your low speed fan kick on when the engine warms up? Might have to replace the resistor if it does not - that could be part of the issue.

I don't think a lot of us complain about the MINI lacking power - especially after a few pretty straightforward mods. For a hatchback of it's size and weight, it's no slouch. If you're not feeling additional power on the butt dyno after that list of mods, makes me think something else might be afoot.
I have put a new thermostat in, I’ve done a coolant flush but not with “the blue stuff”.

How can I tell if my low speed fan turns on? How do I check if it’s broken?

I know many mini owners that were unsatisfied with the power that they made with the typical pulley, Catback, downpipe, cai, etc. which is why they bumped the mini up to either forged internals or just k swapped lol. But no hate I think your talking abt the people that have those initial upgrades and just feel the difference and call it fast. What I’m saying is that at least for the ppl Ik they are used to a whole other “fast”. Which is why they see the mini as a slow performing car.

I’ve done some thinking and I believe that the tune Adrian put for me, I’m running a bit lean right now as I have lost all my pops and burbles and I cannot accelerate above 4-5k rpm. Will inform him about that when i next tune the car.

Old 11-06-2022 | 02:54 PM
jcolletteiii
6th Gear
The low speed fan resistor is a common problem. If the resistor burns out, the low speed fan doesn't kick on and the engine can run hot.

A couple of ways to check if the low speed fan is operating.

1) if your A/C is charged and working properly, warm up the car and turn on the A/C - at normal operating temps, the low speed fan will run when the A/C is on. Look at the back side of the radiator to see if the fan is on.

2) Warm up your car to idle temp and let it idle a bit. When you get to the middle of the temp gauge and the car gets a bit warmer, you'll hear a whine when the low speed fan kicks in.

3) Next time you're in front end service mode, remove the low speed fan resistor cover and see if the reisistor is cracked. If it is, replace it.

I think I took some photos of my bad fan resistor when I replaced it somewhere in my thread. I think I may have put the part number of the replacement in there too.

Old 11-06-2022 | 02:56 PM
jcolletteiii
6th Gear
The blue stuff isn't for the flush - it's the antifreeze you should be running. Zerex Z-48.

Old 11-06-2022 | 02:57 PM
ttawfik3
|
3rd Gear
The low speed fan resistor is a common problem. If the resistor burns out, the low speed fan doesn't kick on and the engine can run hot.

A couple of ways to check if the low speed fan is operating.

1) if your A/C is charged and working properly, warm up the car and turn on the A/C - at normal operating temps, the low speed fan will run when the A/C is on. Look at the back side of the radiator to see if the fan is on.

2) Warm up your car to idle temp and let it idle a bit. When you get to the middle of the temp gauge and the car gets a bit warmer, you'll hear a whine when the low speed fan kicks in.

3) Next time you're in front end service mode, remove the low speed fan resistor cover and see if the reisistor is cracked. If it is, replace it.

I think I took some photos of my bad fan resistor when I replaced it somewhere in my thread. I think I may have put the part number of the replacement in there too.
But that’s what I don’t understand, I installed a brand new fan that my uncle had for this car. How can the resistor go out on a brand new one?

Old 11-06-2022 | 03:04 PM
jcolletteiii
6th Gear
If you installed a new fan, then that's my idea right out the window! New as in brand new, or new as in from a junkyard? Might still be a good idea to confirm the fan comes on.

Old 11-06-2022 | 03:09 PM
ttawfik3
|
3rd Gear
If you installed a new fan, then that's my idea right out the window! New as in brand new, or new as in from a junkyard? Might still be a good idea to confirm the fan comes on.
its a brand new fan. Question: could the type of coolant really make that difference and cause my engine to overheat