Mini/MINI BUILDS Showcase your Build Talents.

Tweedbean's R61 Mini Paceman 2.0 SD Project All4

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2022, 01:19 PM
Tweedbean
4th Gear
Received 87 Likes on 58 Posts
Tweedbean's R61 Mini Paceman 2.0 SD Project All4

So earlier the year I was close to buying two other Paceman's, both petrol All4 models however both had engine issues so I had to pull out. That same eBay search has been saved with no salvage listing coming up for the last couple of months, when a very cheap one popped up earlier in the week. I had to go look at it as it was was only 20 mins away and super cheap. Why was it super cheap you ask, considering the body work and interior is perfect, its an all4 Cooper SD model, with 93k on the clock, heated full leather seats, DAB etc, well the engine is seized, which 99% means a replacement engine is needed. It has 8 months MOT left and isn't categorised which is a bonus. Once I got there I knew I had to have it, it was as tidy as it looked in the pictures:

So I paid up and luckily even thought it was 5pm he managed to get a transported there to drop it straight home as clearly I couldnt drive it with a seized engine. I gave it a quick wash as it had sat in a farms storage yard for a while.

It cleaned up really well, the body really is perfect minus one tiny door ding, very tiny.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tweedbean/, on Flickr

The colour wasn't my first choice but I have big plans long term, but short term I want to get a new engine in and get it on the road. It won't be going on air suspension that's for sure, it may even get a lift kit, lets see...

Here is a quick intro video:

Old 10-10-2022, 01:26 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,091 Likes on 1,865 Posts
Nice, we don't get the SD here in the states or even the Diesel.

Thats Hot Chocolate in color correct?

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
The following users liked this post:
Tweedbean (10-10-2022)
Old 10-10-2022, 01:58 PM
Tweedbean
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Nice, we don't get the SD here in the states or even the Diesel.

Thats Hot Chocolate in color correct?

Thanks, its actually a colour called brilliant copper metallic which is only found on the R60 and R61.

Old 10-11-2022, 07:00 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,091 Likes on 1,865 Posts
Looks like hot chocolate in the pics, that was my other guess on a rare color.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Tweedbean (10-11-2022)
Old 10-12-2022, 04:31 AM
Tweedbean
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Looks like hot chocolate in the pics, that was my other guess on a rare color.
The listing didn't mention the colour so I assumed the same until I saw it in person.

Good news is I have managed to purchase a replacement engine for a decent price thanks to Rotrip.

They got in contact after seeing one of my social media posts, as they had just taken delivery of a Countryman SD which had done around 193k, super high mileage, probably the most I have seen from a countryman. The engine itself was fitted a few years ago as a replacement to the original, this replacement has now done 66k. It was delivered straight to Millsy's Auto's and Jason has now pulled it apart. Its not the cleanest of engines on the outside but all looks good mechanically. He has ordered a new clutch/flywheel/chain/tensioners etc have been ordered to ensure everything is fresh before it's installed. He can then make the best of two engines once he has the Paceman there.

So I am just about to arrange for the car itself to be transported over to Millsy's so he can slot it in for the engine to be fitted. I would love to do it myself but work/building work on our home is not leaving much spare time right now and I want to get the car on the road. Plus I hear the all4 system isn't the nicest to work on and don't want to be stranded mid swap.

ECSTuning (10-19-2022)
Old 10-19-2022, 08:30 AM
moonwalkgreymini
1st Gear
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Looks nice! Interested to see what you do with it.

Old 10-21-2022, 10:08 AM
Tweedbean
4th Gear
Finally an update on my Paceman, having sourced an engine from Rotrip Ltd, off it went to Millsys Autos. Here’s a short update video

ECSTuning (11-07-2022)
Old 11-07-2022, 11:08 AM
Tweedbean
4th Gear
So at the moment, the Paceman is getting lots of use. I've done over 500 miles in the last 2 weeks. Where we have moved to is on the outskirts of a little village and our road is criss crossed with little rivers and hills which means it tends to flood in bad weather, luckily this doesnt affect our house just the roads. It pretty much means the BRZ will probably be put in the garage until next year and I will use a combo of the Paceman and F56 over the next few months.

I have started on the visuals for the Paceman, firstly by dechroming the exterior. I have gone for OEM black headlights with OEM front/rear light trims. I also have the belt line, front and rear badges as well as door handles to fit.

I have created a mini playlist on youtube covering the dechroming "how To" videos for the Paceman for anyone that wants to do the same:

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiHRzx1_4zHnkL_YLmNPsrtdsPJ2k6I3b

Old 12-10-2022, 01:02 AM
Tweedbean
4th Gear
Since I've had the Paceman, I knew I wanted to dechome the car and this also meant getting rid of the silver 18" OEM wheels, I would have done them black, however my preferred choice of wheel re-furbisher, City Wheel Refurbishment in Birmingham use powder coat which wouldn't work with the plastic centre faces on those wheels. Then when I saw the company I purchased the replacement engine from, Rotrip, were selling the wheels off that same Countryman, I snapped them up at £160 delivered which was a bargain. They weren't in great condition as the previous owner had rattle canned them matt black without even bothering to remove the centre caps or even masking the mini logo, which meant they were very ugly but none of this bothered me as I knew they would come up like new once refurbed.

This was an example of one of them pre being stripped down and refurbed.

Also this was a good opportunity to settle on future plans as tyre choice has a big influence. I settled on going for a chunkier tyre for the all terrain look and capability. A set of Yokohama Geolander A/T came up with a decent discount on black friday so I decided to go with those. I went for 215/65/17 so keeping to the stock width but going a lot taller on the side wall. From what I read online this should fit with stock suspension and also look good eventually with a lift kit fitted. City did an amazing job at £35 a wheel including tyre removal and fitting, really pleased with how they came out. Just need to finish off the dechrome, as I have black handles/badges/beltline sat here ready to fit. Then I just need to paint the front grill.

Here is a quick update if you want to take a look:

The following 3 users liked this post by Tweedbean:
00Mini (12-11-2022), ECSTuning (12-12-2022), MCS4FUN (12-10-2022)
Old 12-16-2022, 04:39 AM
Tweedbean
4th Gear
The interior of the Paceman, although in good condition lacked any toys other than heated seats. So I decided to upgrade the head unit, I viewed lots of different ones one youtube, ebay, alibaba, icebox autos etc and decided to go with a UK supplier so if any problems, I have a persons to speak to. So I went with an android based replacement headunit with carplay. Icebox Auto in Liverpool were really helpful during the purchase process and offer support if you are fitting yourself. I have a fitting video going live later today, but here are my first impression of the headunit a week after completing the install myself. Icebox Auto's also offer a fitting service if you dont fancy doing it yourself(This isn't sponsored).

Old 12-16-2022, 07:58 AM
DenisMcG
2nd Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I have an aftermarket system in my Countryman and I get a warning triangle on the tach that ends up being a CC-ID 167 clock problem. Basically, the car's clock cannot be set except via the original stereo unit. Dis you get this error after installing your Icebox unit?

Old 12-17-2022, 12:53 PM
Tweedbean
4th Gear
Originally Posted by DenisMcG
I have an aftermarket system in my Countryman and I get a warning triangle on the tach that ends up being a CC-ID 167 clock problem. Basically, the car's clock cannot be set except via the original stereo unit. Dis you get this error after installing your Icebox unit?
Not seen anything like that since I installed this headunit

Old 12-17-2022, 02:44 PM
DenisMcG
2nd Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Thanks, I think I will sell my unit and get one like yours,. I really don't like the warning triangle permanently on.