Mini/MINI BUILDS Showcase your Build Talents.

2016 F56 Refresh

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2024 | 05:19 PM
FlyingScot57
|
1st Gear
2016 F56 Refresh

Bought this “new” in 2017 with 170 demo miles on it. Over the next few years, put on NM Lowering Springs, RSe05 Rims, an NM adjustable rear sway, and Dinan Elite. Fun car but wasn’t happy with the Lowering Springs (rough ride frequently on bump stops) and the Dinan Elite box was nice, but a little watered down and would throw codes. Because it masks the boost pressure, my factory gauge also wouldn’t show the boost. Car itself has aged well, not many miles as a 3rd car (20K) but sun and time had dulled the red a bit, faded the side markers.

So, over the last year decided to address some of the visual elements while addressing the performance areas that had been on my mind:
  1. Picked up a JCW Pro Exhaust
  2. Purchased Bilstein B16 / PSS10s coilovers
  3. Time for brake pads so decided to try EBC Reds + change out lines to stainless
  4. NM Front Sway Bar End Links
  5. Traded in the Elite when Dinan offered to “give” the Stage 1 tune if you sent in your DME
  6. Eventuri Intake - no more fake hood scoop!
  7. Craven Speed “Big Pair” underbody bracing
  8. Cravhe Speed Short Shifter with custom shift ****
  9. Replaced the front underbody felt shielding with the ECS Skid Aluminum Skid Plate
  10. Put on new tires, retired 2 2016 Dunlop Runflats and 2 2019 Dunlop Runflats - went with Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s in 215/45/17
  11. Replaced side markers with dark smoke LED and dark black jack
Not sure about the EBCs yet - no real miles and haven’t pushed them but will see. So far, seems comparable to stock. Some lessons learned:
  • My right side marker had shorted out and the pin corroded in the plug. Plug had to be cut and rewired - you get the pigtail with plug on Amazon for ~$13.00 and the side marker connector with o-ring can be purchased for roughly $8.00. Simply cut, join, solder and heat shrink. https://a.co/d/gDoxkB5 And side marker scuttle pigtail: https://a.co/d/6G3uB9F
  • The JCW Pro Exhaust sounds fantastic - just turn off the active sound with Bimmerlink. Wiring is the only time consuming part of the effort. I did use a Vibrant Exhaust Sleeve Clamp. For us older folks, sort of a glass pack / mellow sound. Get a trim kit - right tools will keep your trim looking good
  • For Skid Plate you may want to order some of the white pads that the shielding screws into - a few of mine were stripped but easy to pop out and put in new ones.
  • For Bilsteins I’m currently running on 4 front 5 back. With non-Runflats that is good for around town. Also, if doing this with 215 tires you can easily make it work with a 40 Offset like on the RSe05. Still figure it out ride - height, but right now I’m 25” from ground on the rear and 24.6” on both Front. Went with an alignment of: Front Toe: Total toe -.10 (Toe Out) Rear Toe: Total Toe +.20 (Toe in) and Camber -1.9. No Camber up front…may add that later
  • Getting no pre-load on your sway bars is important - the NM Front and Rear end links work great and very easy to adjust
  • You can adjust the Blistein Height on front wheels without pull off the wheel, same with end links. Rears, even with a lift you need to pull off the whee to adjust
  • Being able to adjust the compression rebound on all 4 by just reaching under and turning the dial beat the heck out of the KWV3s I had on another car
  • The Dinan Stage 1 flash is incredibly stable, I have my Boost Pressure gauge back and the torque + hp is perfect. Enough to crazy quick, but very drivable with quick throttle tip in.
  • The Eventuri intake (Carbon scoop + plastic engine components) sounds great, seems to have reduced my intake temps a bit (in Florida) and looks good
  • The “Big Pair” noticeably stiffens up an already tight chassis. Quality addition
  • I decided on a modest “blackout’ with Black Jack gas cover, side markers, hood scoop. Keeping chrome belt line as looks like new and I sorta like it with the stock look.
  • Will probably consider camber plates at some point, probably update infotainment with a CarPlay box and leave the stock ID4 in place
Having the car refreshed like this, especially after getting it detailed and ceramic coated - it looks, sounds and drives fantastic. Like a new car, with even more go-kart added. My biggest challenge now is my 17 year son - he has a Civic SI (very nice car) and can drive a manual. He wants to drive the Mini to school … probably at some point but not yet .

Pictures:

Sitting on Bilsteins and Firehawk 215s:

Clearance from Wheel/Rim to Bilsteins:

Custom Shift ****:

Old JCW Exhuast vs. JCW Pro:

Old exhaust next to JCW Pro

Eventuri Intake:

The following 3 users liked this post by FlyingScot57:
ECSTuning (09-09-2024), Northern (09-11-2024), Oplix (09-10-2024)