Mini/MINI BUILDS Showcase your Build Talents.

R53 City/Backroad Build

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday | 07:02 PM
Woodymini7
|
1st Gear
Cool R53 City/Backroad Build

Hello all, I am going to start a build thread here for my 2003 R53 S 6sp.
It will keep me organized, but also hopefully provide some info through my trial and error, and some enjoyment throughout watching the progress.
I am starting from the basics with this build.
I purchased her in Indiana for 3k.
Has some cosmetic things, an unheard-of electrical issue, and basic maintenance items needed.

FEEL FREE to offer ANY suggestions, comments, opinions, or otherwise. Many specifics are not nailed down and are subject to change if you have a good idea. PLEASE provide your input if you would like to.

The Goal:
A murdered-out, Euro specific build that can do two things:
1. Be understatedly beautiful, able to be noticed on the street specifically by people with an eye for aesthetics, (not necessarily your avg tahoe-driving Joe), as well as hold it's own if it decides to turn up at a show.
2. Can be driven "hard", (depends on your definition I guess, but I tend to ask a lot from my cars) with a balance of comfort for city streets, and a surplus of performance for ripping around backroads.

Priorities:
1. The unheard-of electrical issue. I found a couple threads with some suggestions in Mini2 that I will be trying, but no one on the entire internet has had this problem apparently. (Periodically, if I go over a bump in 4th-6th gear, the Engine light, EML light, DSC light, Tire Pressure light all come on and the temp gauge spikes to the top where the gauge light comes on, it goes out of gear, and will not return to gear for a second or three, sometimes longer but not usually. While it is coasting, I can then clutch, shift, and everything returns to normal like nothing ever happened. Until another random bump ofc. Occasionally the DSC and TP light will stay on, but not usually. I know, weird right? It has me and my dope asf car guy, Matt @ Grossman Tuning, scratching our heads.)
2. She needs a new hood, as this one is damaged on the right side.
3. I must run windshield and headlight washer lines, as they are not hooked up.
4. Needs paint repair on the drivers side.

Suspension/Wheels/Tires:
1. Winter tires are my next purchase, as these are shot and winter is approaching quickly in Louisville where I reside. They will go on my stock R85 wheels, which are silver, and that will be my permanent winter setup. Since winters can get salty and rough around here, it will not necessarily match my desired murdered out setup. (At most, I might plastidip the wheels if the silver bothers me too much). OPEN to suggestions for winter shoes, as I have not decided on anything yet.
2. Adjustable Rear Control Arms.
3. Coilovers. I need something that will lower her a bit, successfully balances comfort with handling, and has adjustable camber and damping. Leaning heavily toward KW. Probably V2 from what I have seen.
4. Rear sway bar.
5. Summer shoes. Black, 17x7.5 and 215/45s.
6. Brake upgrade.

Performance:
1. Coil Packs and Wires
2. Full Exhaust system. (have not decided yet, open to suggestions)
3. CAI
4. 15% SC Reduction

Exterior:
1. Claybar
2. Underbody protection
3. Chrome delete
4. Smoked lights
5. Darker tint. (I know, I like it dark asf)
6. Splitter and sideskirts. (Will also entertain spoilers, but I rather like the current understated stock spoiler).

Interior:
1. New Steering wheel
2. Sound foam in doors and under seats.
3. Interior lighting

If I am careful, I am pretty sure I can get out for under 10k. The coilovers, new shoes, and exhaust system are gonna be the heavy hitters for sure.
I am thinking about the time I have her looking the way I want, it will be time for a new engine. Hence the small Performance upgrades, everything can be moved.

Again, PLEASE provide your input if you would like to. Many specifics are not nailed down and are subject to change if you have a good idea.

Also if you are near Louisville, KY, whether you have parts that could help my project, or just to hang or go for a drive, hit me up.

I hope this thread can provide you some enjoyment also, as it will definitely be fun for me to do this.

Cheers!

Last edited by Woodymini7; Yesterday at 07:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (Today)
Old Yesterday | 08:32 PM
MCS4FUN
6th Gear
Although somewhat similar end objectives, I went a different route by buying one with super low mileage and condition, highly modded, which then needed "taming" for practical streets and highways usage (no tracking). Be careful on mission creep WRT stated all-in budget. Mine did so but with desire to buy new parts aligned overall with my R53 and ended up with a total spend representative of that. Rather than the blacked-out look with bodywork add-ons, my preference is a more stealthy appearance. Mine looks pretty much stock on initial glance, until noticing aspects which reveal quite the contrary. Looking forward to future updates...