MINI Owners of New Jersey (MONJ) The MONJ Club Forum. Visit our club site at clubs.hemmings.com/miniownersofnj

Winter tires in Jersey?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 02:56 PM
abe skray
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winter tires in Jersey?

I just got my first MINI this week and have lived in Jersey for a little more than two years.

I have a 2007 MCS with 17" wheels and stock summer performance runflats. (I haven't had the mind to look at the exact brand of tires yet, but will once I get to the parking lot.)

So I was hoping to get an idea of what New Jersey MINI owners do with tires for the winter time? The past two winters have been pretty mild, so I was wondering if owners with summer tires keep them on all year round or if they switch to winters.

If so, what kind of winters do you use and about when do you change from summer to winter and winter to summer?

I wanted to start a poll in this thread, but couldn't figure it out. Sorry for being a n00b!

Old 08-16-2007, 03:59 PM
minimk3
3rd Gear
Hey, you live really close to me. I live in Cranbury.

It wouldn't hurt to have a winter tire setup. If you plan to drive along hilly areas in the Winter then it's a must.

I suggest you get 16" winter wheel setup and use your 17'' for the summer season.

See you on the road and check out NEMINI.org. They have an active group that do a lot of mini meets in our area.

Old 08-16-2007, 05:44 PM
jerzrunr
2nd Gear
I put a set of 15" winters on last year. No problems getting in and around the hills of Morristown. They go on in late Nov, came off in early April. I got Michelin X-ice. Worked great for me, and there are lots of good feedback on the tire/wheel forum on them. I recommend a good "search" of the site on snow tires.

Old 08-17-2007, 08:41 AM
abe skray
1st Gear
Originally Posted by minimk3
Hey, you live really close to me. I live in Cranbury.

It wouldn't hurt to have a winter tire setup. If you plan to drive along hilly areas in the Winter then it's a must.

I suggest you get 16" winter wheel setup and use your 17'' for the summer season.

See you on the road and check out NEMINI.org. They have an active group that do a lot of mini meets in our area.
Thanks for the suggestions! What's the reason for a smaller radius on the winter wheels? Having a second set of wheels means you don't have to re-balance every time you change your tires since they just stay on, right?

Most of my winter roadtrips last year were for skiing/snowboarding in the Poconos, Catskills, and Vermont, but someone else always volunteered to drive. My last car was also a 2-door hatchback, so not very conducive for carrying friends and winter gear without a roof rack! So I'm thinking I might be able to get by on the flat roads around here on my summer tires.

I live in a small apartment, so the problem for me would be storage. I've got a friend with a pickup and another with an empty basement, so I think I could figure something out, tho

I put a set of 15" winters on last year. No problems getting in and around the hills of Morristown. They go on in late Nov, came off in early April. I got Michelin X-ice. Worked great for me, and there are lots of good feedback on the tire/wheel forum on them. I recommend a good "search" of the site on snow tires.
Thanks for the info! I've always driven on all-seasons, so all the information I can get is great

Old 08-17-2007, 09:21 AM
minimk3
3rd Gear
I not an expert but I believe that narrower and taller (taller sidewall height) is always the ideal setup for winter tires.

Having a second set saves you time and money as you don't have to remount your all-season tires when the season change.

If you are only planning to drive in fairly flat areas in our neighborhood then you can pretty much rely on the all-seasons. Just don't drive it in hilly areas or when you have 6'inches or more of snow... unless you want to convert the car to a MINI snowplow.

Originally Posted by abe skray
Thanks for the suggestions! What's the reason for a smaller radius on the winter wheels? Having a second set of wheels means you don't have to re-balance every time you change your tires since they just stay on, right?

Most of my winter roadtrips last year were for skiing/snowboarding in the Poconos, Catskills, and Vermont, but someone else always volunteered to drive. My last car was also a 2-door hatchback, so not very conducive for carrying friends and winter gear without a roof rack! So I'm thinking I might be able to get by on the flat roads around here on my summer tires.

I live in a small apartment, so the problem for me would be storage. I've got a friend with a pickup and another with an empty basement, so I think I could figure something out, tho

Thanks for the info! I've always driven on all-seasons, so all the information I can get is great

Old 08-17-2007, 09:26 AM
moodylewdd
5th Gear
17" Runflats totally suck in the winter. I think a tire guy was telling me that there is a difference in sidewall height (only I wasnt totally listening-bad me). The runflats I think are a harder rubber or something. I have the Pirellis, and I would not recommend them for winter to anyone.

Old 08-17-2007, 09:36 AM
Rich.Wolfson
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have Pirelli PZero Nero M+S on Artoo and they work fine for light snow and the wet and excellent on dry roads.

I am fortunate that my job allows me to wait until most of the roads are plowed before I go in (I live in North Caldwell) or not go in at all and that is a luxury that you may not have. But the PZeros have worked for me and are light years ahead of the runflats in handling, and ride comfort.

Rich

Old 08-30-2007, 06:02 AM
jakay11
4th Gear
I just bought a set of 17s with Hakkas mounted on them (used) from a member...
my original goal was to get a set of 16s, but I could not pass up this deal, so when the RF are shot and the winters, (which will happen at the end of next winter (2 seasons hopefully?) I'll swap rims and put the nice light ones on for summer...

you might give a shout to our friendly tire-rack guy here...

I typically swap out tires starting around Turkey-day (but invariably I'm doing it in the drive the evening of the first snow... 30 min. for my Mini and wifes' BMW) and then take-off is sometime in March / April or when ever the 'April Blizzard' hits.

HTH.

Old 08-30-2007, 06:04 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As a former NJ resident, it's hard to give a good answer. I had all-season tires while there. I doubt I would have bought winter tires, though. Most winters see, at most, 2 decent snows, which usually ment the same or next day. But, every once in a while, you get several monster snows. But, when that happens, no one's going anywhere, anyway.

Old 09-07-2007, 10:45 AM
abe skray
1st Gear
Originally Posted by LynnEl
As a former NJ resident, it's hard to give a good answer. I had all-season tires while there. I doubt I would have bought winter tires, though. Most winters see, at most, 2 decent snows, which usually ment the same or next day. But, every once in a while, you get several monster snows. But, when that happens, no one's going anywhere, anyway.
If I had all-seasons this wouldn't be much of an issue, but my high performance stock summer runflats will "turn into hockey pucks" under 40F, as I've read many times in various threads here. I'm planning to get some Dunlop Winter M3s and buy a compressor and either slime or Dynaplugs since these are non-runflats.

I think the M3s will be good for Jersey because they have good traction in the dry and wet, and don't wear as quickly in the dry (so I've heard) like Blizzaks and other hardcore winter tires. Also, winter tires will give me peace of mind if I have to venture northward for skiing or other adventures in harsher climes.

Now I just have to make up my mind about which wheels to get. I figure it's not worth getting anything really nice because they will only be on for 3 or 4 months and will be more susceptible to road salt, moisture, and other winter abusery. Any case, I still have plenty of time to ponder between now and Turkey Day.

Old 09-07-2007, 11:06 AM
Fred911
3rd Gear
Have lived in Jersey all my life.....never bought snow tires. 99.9% of the time the roads are clear by the next day.