MTTS, DC to NJ Detour

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 07:38 AM
clarkdr81
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MTTS, DC to NJ Detour

If you're driving the DC to NJ leg of MTTS and you don't want to deal with the NJ Turnpike, I'd just like to throw out a great route to keep in mind.

Instead of going off 95 to the NJ Turnpike, keep following 95 through Philly, up into Bucks County, PA. On the last exit before you cross the Delaware River into NJ, exit and drive north toward New Hope. Eventually you will come to PA Rt 32. I have driven all over the country and this is one of the most beautiful roads I've ever been on. Bucks County is famous for its rich history, scenic beauty, stone houses, B&Bs, etc. On the way, stop at Washington Crossing park (which is the area I'm from!), where George Washington's army crossed the Delaware. Then head north on Rt. 32 to New Hope. This is a little town on the river with great restaurants and shopping.

As you get north of New Hope try taking some of the side roads off Rt. 32 for some great hills and curves (just make sure you print out a map ahead of time and PM me if you want some specific suggestions). Once you're done enjoying these great motoring roads, keep heading north on 32 until you get to Rt. 611 and from there keep heading north along the river to Easton where you can catch I-78 East straight to Jersey City. I highly recommend this alternate route and if you have any questions feel free to ask...

Old 08-18-2006, 07:46 AM
tshea
1st Gear
I'd "second" the suggestion to check out Rt. 32 along the Delaware. I've been enjoying that road since my college days (a long time ago), when I'd cut class to enjoy a run along the river in my '69 Alfa Spider. Awaiting delivery of my '06 MCS so I can try it out there. I'd add just two notes: don't let the heavy traffic in New Hope get you down -- it thins out north of town. And whatever you do, don't opt for the NJ side of the river instead. The roads aren't nearly as entertaining and the scenery is drab.

Old 08-18-2006, 09:10 AM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If there was a little group going this way ...

Old 08-18-2006, 01:54 PM
Bootsi
3rd Gear
Okay....I have to chime in here. I live in Easton, and am attendinging the DC to JC leg. As beautiful as rt 32 is...it's closed in most upper parts due to recent flooding (there are some parts where rt 32 is gone....so sad because it is a great route!)

I have been trying to get a group together, somewhat organized for this part of MTTS...if you all are interested, PM me, I know the good roads through this area and would be willing to put something together, using part of rt 32, part rt 29 (in Jersey), adding in some great bucks co/northampton co roads, etc. Just let me know!!!

I am really not sure what is shown on gps or mapquest for the closed roads, so please don't go by them.....

Old 08-18-2006, 02:29 PM
clarkdr81
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cooper girl
Okay....I have to chime in here. I live in Easton, and am attendinging the DC to JC leg. As beautiful as rt 32 is...it's closed in most upper parts due to recent flooding (there are some parts where rt 32 is gone....so sad because it is a great route!)

I have been trying to get a group together, somewhat organized for this part of MTTS...if you all are interested, PM me, I know the good roads through this area and would be willing to put something together, using part of rt 32, part rt 29 (in Jersey), adding in some great bucks co/northampton co roads, etc. Just let me know!!!

I am really not sure what is shown on gps or mapquest for the closed roads, so please don't go by them.....
Hmm yea I hadn't considered that, I know Rt 32 is open at least up to New Hope, but you're right there are plenty of other great roads in the area that could be used as alternate routes. I would definitely be interested in being part of a group to drive through the area. Maybe we could even put together a lunch somewhere (maybe New Hope?)

Old 08-18-2006, 03:30 PM
royal4mac
4th Gear
I live "part time" outside philly in Elkins Park. The first road trip we took was down to New Hope in our new MINI 3 months ago, (before the flood).

Keep this thread goin' because the NJ Turnpike is boooooorrrring!

Griff & Aline

Old 08-18-2006, 03:33 PM
Bootsi
3rd Gear
Lunch in new hope would be cool, but parking can be a problem there. I do know a great diner/drive in on the NJ side that our local group meets at, it's on Rt 29 north of Washington's crossing and South of New Hope called It's Nutt's (formerly Jimmy's) We could eat there, more than enough parking and the owner would love to have us.

Anyone into that? I would love to lead through my home area (william's township to rt 78) there are some awesome uphill/downhill twisties. And Jersey City is only 1 hour on rt 78 from Easton. Maybe do a collaboration...someone get us to Washington Crossing for lunch, then someone pick up the great roads from New hope to Williams twshp (near Reigelsville), then I could pick up the lead there. Could be fun!

I agree. the Jersey TP is boring. Hey, highways are boring in general! I do know some who want to motor w/the large group up the major highways...me, I prefer the backroads and a great group!!!!!

Old 08-18-2006, 05:11 PM
andrsncpr
Coordinator :: River City Minis
I would definatley agree on this route. Beautiful scenery. My wife and I got
married in the Black Bass Inn, right on rt.32. It's north of New Hope. Very nice little place.I highly recommend it. Too bad about the flood damage, I
hope it didnt damage the inn. I'ts been there since 1760.

Old 08-18-2006, 05:11 PM
Jersey_Bill
4th Gear
Let's keep this thread going !! I am from East Windsor, NJ and in my bicycling days I lived on these roads - great for two wheels as well as four !!

I really can't believe they chose I-95 for this penultimate (or peri-penultimate) leg. I drive between DC and NJ all the time and very little of it is memorable. There are so many interesting alternatives - like maybe the Cape May ferry and the shore highways (though probably death on Labor Day) or winding your way through Delaware, the Brandywine Valley, suburban Phila and into Bucks County. Roads that make you think you are in Europe. I agree that the Delaware Valley is pure magic.

I had thought I would do the alternate route to Gettysburg - and the first part of that sounds fun - but is has you joining along the PA turnpike I believe from around Harrisburg, and that is even worse than I-95 for interest.

Part of me wants to be in the middle of a sea of 800 MINIs heading for JC, and I guess that is only practical on an eight lane highway.... but I can be convinced otherwise !!

Bill

Old 08-18-2006, 06:26 PM
Bootsi
3rd Gear
Okay Bill!! I am so glad to finally have found some people w/my mindset on this whole thing. Yeah, going 95 w/a few hundred other MINI's might be cool, but my thinking is this: These cars aren't made for highway driving! We are going to DC a few days early to enjoy some time off and we'll meet lots of MINIacs there...then motor some incredible roads to get to JC and party with some more MINIacs!!

I have heard from a few people who are joining up in different areas between DC and JC....they don't want to do the 95thing either. This is going to be sooo much fun!!

(sorry for the mindless post...was just dreaming of MINI's MINI's everywhere!!!)

Old 08-18-2006, 10:34 PM
bluzeke
4th Gear
:impatient 95 will be gawdawful over the Labor Day weekend. I predict frustrated travelers will lay the conjestion in the lap of MINI owners! Also, I think lots of MINI folks are going to be a little frazzled and shell-shocked when they discover how intense this final leg into Jersey City can be. This ain't Kansas baby!

Keep the alternative ideas coming for this leg - there must be a better way!

Old 08-18-2006, 11:37 PM
clarkdr81
6th Gear
I was talking to my Dad and he suggested a quick alternate route to get up to the PA/NJ area is US 1 through Maryland and PA (goes through the Brandywine Valley). It could be taken up to Bucks (except through Philly, you wouldn't want to drive down Roosevelt Blvd:impatient so you could just switch to 95 once you get near Philly). I haven't driven Rt 1 through this area but he said it was very scenic. If you left early enough you could make it to the New Hope area for a late lunch (maybe at Its Nutts? as previously mentioned), eat, and then cruise some roads in upper Bucks County and finally head toward the NYC area...

Old 08-19-2006, 10:25 AM
jwasbury
1st Gear
see you in my 'hood

There are definitely some nice roads through Hunterdon County NJ, across the Delaware river. North of New Hope there is Frenchtown, NJ, and still further north is a town called Milford. The Ship Inn in Milford is a decent place to stop for a grog and some fish 'n chips. I think its the oldest brewpub in NJ. I lived in that area for a year, and used to commute into New Brunswick NJ on my Moto Guzzi taking backroads instead of I-78. County Route 579 (I think) which begins around Bloomsbury and heads east has a couple of choice twisties. Once you get far enough east though, there is little fun to be had and its best to just hop on I-78. For the final approach to JC, I like the Pulaski Skyway which is accessed by taking Route 1 & 9. There are no shoulders, and no places for mmm...speedtraps. Do watch out for giant wheel-bending potholes and @$$hole NJ drivers. This leg of tour will be finishing up in my neighborhood. I'm looking forward to the MINI invasion.

Old 08-19-2006, 02:56 PM
Bootsi
3rd Gear
Does anyone know (I have to ask because I dont know the answer) if there is a way to put together a route on-line? I would be more than happy to lay out some great roads (appx. 1 hrs worth) from say New Hope/It's Nutt's area to the Easton area...or wherever someone would like to pick up. jwasbury mentioned knowing back roads to get to rt 78....I can get us to 78, mile 13 using all back roads and some great scenery.

If there is a way to do it, we could all collaborate or something like that. I've put together runs in my area and have been involved in many as a leader....so this part of it is no problem for me. Plus, INMO, I think having different people lead along the way is a great idea too. It's a long way for one person to have the stress of planning and leading.

Moto Guzzi..... cool!

Old 08-21-2006, 11:55 AM
clarkdr81
6th Gear
I would be willing to help put part of the trip together, but we need to find out what kind of interest there is out there and get a consensus on an approximate route. From the sound of things it seems like a drive up to New Hope and then crossing the river at some point and hooking into 78 over in NJ seems like a good idea. I guess the only thing now is to start getting things a little more organized. Also, how do we get up to Bucks County? Should we just take 95 up or an alternate route? Remember, we want to leave plenty of time to explore the area a little and still make it to Jersey City in time for the party (It takes 3 hours to get from DC to Bucks on 95). Any thoughts?

Old 08-21-2006, 05:04 PM
royal4mac
4th Gear
Too many ideas?

OK, how 'bout we first budget time to make it fun but still get to JC w/time to enjoy the festivities. If we leave at 7 instead of 9, that gives us an extra 2 hours. Next, delegate each stage. DC to Philly, Philly to New Hope, New Hope to JC etc. to someone who knows the area. (notice I'm not volunteering),

That's a start. Delegating is so much fun!

Old 08-21-2006, 06:10 PM
Bootsi
3rd Gear
Like I mentioned earlier...I could pick up and lead New Hope up to exit 13 on rt 78 (near clinton). I think this could be a lot of fun! I know some people from the Delaware area who might be interested as well. Getting from DC to Philly...no idea....someone here from there?

Old 08-21-2006, 08:00 PM
jwasbury
1st Gear
Count me in for the trip between New Hope area and my hometown of Jersey City. While the roads are not fantastic on the final approach, I'd be happy to lead that segment and can offer some local knowledge that might avoid the worst of the NYC bound Holland Tunnel traffic.

Old 08-22-2006, 06:31 AM
clarkdr81
6th Gear
I could do DC to Philly/Bucks County since I'm familiar with and have lived in both areas. I've never done a drive like this though because i'm a new MINI owner, what does it involve other than just planning a route?

Another question is, are we interested in just heading straight to Bucks County or do we want to take some backroads from DC? I will try putting together some different routes from DC to Bucks and let you know what I can come up with.

Old 08-22-2006, 06:39 AM
GBMINI
6th Gear
what else does it involve ... smiles

Old 08-22-2006, 06:53 AM
clarkdr81
6th Gear
Miles of Smiles?

Ok, so here's what I've come up with so far. After looking at some maps I think it would be best to go from DC to Baltimore on 95. Just past Baltimore we could get on US Rt. 1 and go North through Maryland and the Brandywine Valley in the South Eastern corner of PA. Then we would hook back into 95, go through Philly, and exit onto Route 1 North at Langhorne PA. Next, we would exit at Morrisville go up Rt. 32 along the Delaware River and end that leg at Washington Crossing State Park. This could easily be counted as two legs so if someone wanted to lead either DC to Philly or Philly to Washington Crossing I wouldn't mind giving one up. I still haven't checked the timing on this part of the trip so I'll get back to everyone but it will add significantly more time than just driving straight up 95.

Old 08-22-2006, 01:50 PM
clarkdr81
6th Gear
Bump ^

Old 08-23-2006, 06:30 PM
Jahmills
5th Gear
Rt 32 is only closed around Lumberville North of New Hope, there is an easy detour around it. I would be up for it. That's one of the places I go on the weekend, some great driving roads up there.

Old 08-24-2006, 06:31 AM
Bootsi
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by clarkdr81
Miles of Smiles?

Ok, so here's what I've come up with so far. After looking at some maps I think it would be best to go from DC to Baltimore on 95. Just past Baltimore we could get on US Rt. 1 and go North through Maryland and the Brandywine Valley in the South Eastern corner of PA. Then we would hook back into 95, go through Philly, and exit onto Route 1 North at Langhorne PA. Next, we would exit at Morrisville go up Rt. 32 along the Delaware River and end that leg at Washington Crossing State Park. This could easily be counted as two legs so if someone wanted to lead either DC to Philly or Philly to Washington Crossing I wouldn't mind giving one up. I still haven't checked the timing on this part of the trip so I'll get back to everyone but it will add significantly more time than just driving straight up 95.
If you can take us across the river at Washington's Crossing (yes, the narrow little bridge that scares the bejesus out of me every time), then wing a left, It's Nutt's is only appx. 1 mile or so on the right. They have chicken and burgers and pizza and fancier stuff. No alchohol tho. If y'all would prefer stopping somewhere for a beer, we could find somewhere else a little farther up. I am volunteering to pick up there, with a 1 hour drive to rt. 78 either right at the border of PA/NJ or at mile 13 on Rt 78.

I have PM'd a few people on this thread about this....I can't help it, I'm excited! Also, just to let y'all know, I've heard from a few MINIacs who are going to join up with us either in DC, along the way, or at Nutt's.

Yippie!!! This is going to be great!!!!

Old 08-24-2006, 07:03 AM
clarkdr81
6th Gear
Yes, I know where Nutts is, Washington Crossing is actually where I'm from and my parents still live there! But yes, we can just go straight over there, and don't worry too much about the bridge. I've found its much easier in the MINI, but many a side mirrors have been knocked off on cars over the years so you still have to be careful, especially when someone decides to take their Suburban over the bridge and you have to squeeze by them. Just ask my mom, she somehow managed to break both side mirrors on the Washington Xing bridge!

Anyway, back on topic, if people want to buy any alcohol there are several places in Washington Crossing. There's a wine shop type place right across the bridge in NJ, I've never been there though so I don't know what they have. But there's also a Cumberland Farms convenience store and a restaurant next door called Dominicks that sells beer (and REALLY good pizza! ).

But, I will pm you back Coopergirl and we can try to get the plans tied down. Then we can start trying to get the word out so we can get a really good group together!

Quick Reply: MTTS, DC to NJ Detour