MINI5280 The Motoring Society of the Rocky Mountain Region. Visit the club site at www.mini5280.org and Event Calendar.

Scratch Repair

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011 | 05:11 PM
danadubs
|
1st Gear
Scratch Repair

So... I left my car parked in my buildings underground parking lot like I do every night but this time when I went down in the morning a large unusually shaped scratch was nicely etched into my drivers side door by someone or something....

The added bonus... No one left a note! Of course not. Why would they do such a thing? Who cares... it's just someone else's car right??

WHY do people do that. Why.

I got a quote on repairing the scratch today, and was extremely disappointed with the estimate. $300.00 for a scratch less than two inches.

Supposedly it is too deep to be buffed out... but I can't imagine I couldn't find a lower estimate somewhere?

Does anyone have any suggestions of a body shop they trust in the Denver/metro area?

Much appreciated.

Old 02-03-2011 | 03:33 PM
MINILLA
4th Gear
Originally Posted by danadubs
So... I left my car parked in my buildings underground parking lot like I do every night but this time when I went down in the morning a large unusually shaped scratch was nicely etched into my drivers side door by someone or something....

The added bonus... No one left a note! Of course not. Why would they do such a thing? Who cares... it's just someone else's car right??

WHY do people do that. Why.

I got a quote on repairing the scratch today, and was extremely disappointed with the estimate. $300.00 for a scratch less than two inches.

Supposedly it is too deep to be buffed out... but I can't imagine I couldn't find a lower estimate somewhere?

Does anyone have any suggestions of a body shop they trust in the Denver/metro area?

Much appreciated.
I just got a 'door ding' in my Dodge Challenger.....I knew who had done it so their insurance company is paying...a door ding....$649.20c...go figure.
Philip

Old 02-03-2011 | 04:28 PM
gothmdoc
4th Gear
Does your garage have camera security? Is it possible to get the garage company to pay? My car got hit in my garage by some retard, I couldn't prove if it was a patron or the attendants fault but they ended up paying for the whole thing because when I drove in I could prove it wasn't there before.

Old 02-05-2011 | 08:20 AM
danadubs
|
1st Gear
@Goth -- The only camera in the garage is by the elevator which is on the way other end. Unfortunately I don't have a case where I could prove before and after. Just after. :( Haven't gotten it fixed yet... may just have to live with it for awhile.

I'm going to try to lessen the appearance with some good rubbing/polishing compound and see if I can't help it that way first.

Old 02-05-2011 | 08:28 AM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
You could get some touch up an then hit it with some Langka to smooth it out...then more buffing. could quite possibly disappear

Old 02-05-2011 | 10:35 AM
gothmdoc
4th Gear
Originally Posted by danadubs
@Goth -- The only camera in the garage is by the elevator which is on the way other end. Unfortunately I don't have a case where I could prove before and after. Just after. :( Haven't gotten it fixed yet... may just have to live with it for awhile.

I'm going to try to lessen the appearance with some good rubbing/polishing compound and see if I can't help it that way first.
Damn, alright.. hope its back up to par soon.

Old 02-12-2011 | 10:14 AM
danadubs
|
1st Gear
I'll post some pics of my attempt to fix with the touch up and the langka -- may attempt when it's warmer tomorrow! I like to paint so that should be enough experience right? haha

Old 02-12-2011 | 06:51 PM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
Dana - If you need some help I am at your disposal. I have all the polishing equipment and have a fair bit of experience with Langka.

Chuck