MINI5280 The Motoring Society of the Rocky Mountain Region. Visit the club site at www.mini5280.org and Event Calendar.

local shop Gunbarrel Import Motors->FAIL<-

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 02:48 PM
splat
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
local shop Gunbarrel Import Motors->FAIL<-

So, I thought I found a local shop that I was happy with.... Gunbarrel Import Motors were polite, when they told me my ac was going they noted that I probably didn't really care as I always have the roof off and windows down. So they were paying attention, very nice.
My service engine light had kept coming on and I'd go to O'Reiley and run the code and get Knock Sensor.
I took it to Gunbarrel Import Motors and was initially impressed but they told me they should run the code for me because the O'Reiley diagnosticker thingy could not read mini specific codes. So, they run the code and charge me $100+ (i did not initially notice this as i assumed since i was getting several other things done they would not ultimately charge me, my fault) but they told me that it said knock sensor but they didn't actually have a mini coder so couldn't be sure (WHAT!?!?) and my oil had been quite low so it was probably that.
I ultimately find out that my shock towers are mushroomed, my upper engine mount has expired and my knock sensor is bad.
They never mentioned the knock sensor failing and should have been able to look at the car and notice the strut towers and engine mount. Especially as these are known Mini faults

So having decided that I will not return to Gunbarrel Import Motors I called them to let them know why and give them information to help other wayward mini owners before the mushrooming towers take out their suspension or failed motor mounts wipe out their clutches.
They gave me excuses. Said the mushrooming towers meant that it was ridden hard clearly indicating that they are mini clueless and can ultimately cost trusting mini owners quite a bit of money in the long run.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:27 AM
Chris Chappell
3rd Gear
Sorry you had a bad experience, good info, good to know.

Conversely, I've had a good experience @ Peak Eurosport in Wheat Ridge. These guys are MINI experts, along with BMW, Porsche, etc. If you're having future problems give them a call @: 303-421-0365.

Better luck to you in getting your MINI back in good form..

Chris

Old 11-15-2011, 11:26 PM
splat
2nd Gear
I really rather thought that I was going to like them. They seemed great but could have cost me quite a bit of money in the long run. That is the whole reason I called them to let them know what they missed. To save others.